• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Grecco said:
Chicken Nuggets/fingers/tenders And any sauce that might not be available in the US..

i get tired of Sweet and Sour
Consider it done!:lol What Sauces ARE available in the US?

All sauces and dips available in Germany:
Sour Cream Dip (only with potato wedges)
Herbs Dressing (only with salads)
Cayenne-pepper dip (only with certain promotional menus)
Honey-mustard Dip
"Ranch" Dip (never had it, might taste like cow)
Balsamico Dressing (only with salads)
Caesar Dressing (only with salads)
Ketchup
Mayonnaise (80%)
Barbecue Sauce
Curry Sauce
Sweet and sour sauce
Mustard
Chili Dip

woeds

OnkelC said:
Tonights dish will be something from McDonalds. Anything particular you want to see?
For desert: a McFlurry with the weirdest candy there is :D I once went to Poland, and they had like 15 different kinds.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
woeds said:
For desert: a McFlurry with the weirdest candy there is :D I once went to Poland, and they had like 15 different kids.
McFlurry?

6wo0cvc.jpg

Well, in the name of science.:lol

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Teh Hamburglar said:
good lord, onkel. how do you make all that food in that small kitchen
heh, I worked as a ships' cook as a holiday job for a few years. Having to prepare four meals a day for up to 25 guests/Seamen in galleys/cabooses gains you some close quarter cooking experience points:D

OnkelC said:
heh, I worked as a ships' cook as a holiday job for a few years. Having to prepare four meals a day for up to 25 guests/Seamen in galleys/cabooses gains you some close quarter cooking experience points:D

hehehe....seaman

woeds

OnkelC said:
McFlurry?

http://i18.tinypic.com/6wo0cvc.jpg[IMG]

Well, in the name of science.:lol[/QUOTE]
Don't feel obliged :lol
Does the German McD have any exclusive 'dishes'. I know for example that the McKroket we have is exclusive to the Netherlands.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
woeds said:
Don't feel obliged :lol
Does the German McD have any exclusive 'dishes'. I know for example that the McKroket we have is exclusive to the Netherlands.

The German menu is quite standard fare, with promotional dishes changing around once a month.
Here's the menu:

Sammiches:
Big Tasty
McFischstäbchen (fish fingers in a bun, sold within the happy meal for kids)
Chicken Gourmet (new item, made from "chicken breast" instead of just "chicken")
Chicken Gourmet Bacon
Griechischer Salat (greek style salad, with feta cheese)
Grilled Chicken Caesar Salad
Crispy Chicken Caesar Salad
Chicken Wrap
3er Chicken Selects™ (dunno about that)
Big Mac®
Cheeseburger
Doppel Cheeseburger (double cheeseburger)
Chicken McNuggets® 4 pc
Chicken McNuggets® 6 pc
Chicken McNuggets® 9 pc
Chicken McNuggets® 20 pc
Filet-o-Fish®
Hamburger
Double Hamburger
Hamburger Royal (The burger formerly known as quarter pounder)
Hamburger Royal TS®
McChicken® (McRib-sized chicken burger, breaded)
Chickenburger mit Chili Sauce
McRib®

Desserts:
McFlurry Stracciatella
McSundae Schoko-Traum
Milchshake Kirsch
McFlurry® Amarena Crisp
McSundae® Schoko-Kirsch
Apfeltasche
Fruit & Yogurt
Frucht Tüte
McFlurry® mit KITKAT
McFlurry® Smarties
McSundae® (ohne Waffeltüte)
McSundae® Karamellsauce
McSundae® Schokosauce
Vanille Milchshake groß
Erdbeer Milchshake groß
Schoko Milchshake groß

Breakfast:
Big Bacon & Eggs
Bacon & Egg McMuffin®
McCroissant®
Sweet Breakfast (ohne Aufstrich)

Here's this months promotional burger (hint: it's not big and it's not tasty, imagine a Whopper-sized McD burger):
food_01.jpg

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
heavy liquid said:
Tonight was Shrimp Linguine with garlic and fresh basil, mushrooms, peas, bell peppers and diced tomatoes. Quick and easy, but very tasty!

http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m212/heavyliquid/DSCF1391-1.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m212/heavyliquid/DSCF1392-1.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
recipe please. :)

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
So far the takeaway bag contains one big tasty bacon, one set of chicken nuggets (sauce still undecided) and a McFlurry with undecided topping. That won't fill me up sufficiently. More suggestions please.

Indigo

OnkelC said:
So far the takeaway bag contains one big tasty bacon, one set of chicken nuggets (sauce still undecided) and a McFlurry with undecided topping. That won't fill me up sufficiently. More suggestions please.

Farm Kartoffeln mit sour cream dip?

Oh! and get the McFlurry with Smarties! Love those things :D

Indigo

OnkelC said:
I'm sure the wife will get some kind of menu deal, so that's covered.

Oh, well, in that case, how about the chicken burger mit chili sauce or the Greek salad?

Pfft, fine, get the McRib!
I admit that they are yum.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Indigo said:
Oh, well, in that case, how about the chicken burger mit chili sauce or the Greek salad?

lol salad
chicken burger, yeahmmmmmmmmmnnnnnnnnnnnnno.
I'm thinking of a McRib, objections?

Bad_Boy said:
recipe please. :)

It's pretty much exactly like the description. I don't have the amounts, but you should be able to eyeball it easily enough.

Shrimp Linguine with garlic and fresh basil, mushrooms, peas, bell peppers and diced tomatoes.

Boil your linguine or spaghetti and set aside. While you're doing this, heat some olive oil in a skillet and stir in minced garlic. Then stir in your fresh basil, mushrooms, peas, bell peppers and either fresh or a can of diced tomatoes. Also add maybe a 1/2 teaspoon of sugar. Let it simmer for a minute, and then add in your shrimp (don't overcook them!). Add in your linguine and toss it all together, add salt and pepper to taste, and you're done!

You can also really add to the flavor if you add a cup of medium-dry white wine , such as Sauvignon Blanc and/or a bit of cognac or brandy. I didn't have any on hand, unfortunately. Also, crushed red pepper flakes will heat it up a bit if you like things spicy.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Here's what you are lovin':
Big Tasty bacon:
smallP1020872.jpg

smallP1020873.jpg

Chicken McNuggets and mustard sauce (eat with umbrella or something):
smallP1020869.jpg

smallP1020870.jpg

McRib (HOWDY COWBOY!):
smallP1020866.jpg

smallP1020867.jpg

EASY ON THE PICKLES, STRANGER:
smallP1020868.jpg

Fillet o'Fish, made from pure divers:
smallP1020865.jpg

Made with LOVE! :(
smallP1020864.jpg

And finally, a McFlurry with Smarties:
smallP1020863.jpg

Enjoy!

*burrrrrrpppp*

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Tonights dish will be a simple mashed potatoes with roast onions. Edit: And a Bratwurst.

Stay tuned and share your thoughts and dishes, please. And ideas for the 2008 cooking thread title are also appreciated.

Variable

OnkelC said:
Here's what you are lovin':

EASY ON THE PICKLES, STRANGER:

Enjoy!

*burrrrrrpppp*

Did you eat all that in one sitting? If you did, you should probably go see a Dr. Because you might die in a few hours.

*edit*

Taken out the pics.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Variable said:
Did you eat all that in one sitting? If you did, you should probably go see a Dr. Because you might die in a few hours.
:lol
yup, I did.

Could you please edit out the pics from the quote? Page will be getting a real pain to load as it is already.

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
lulz you guys get curry sauce for nuggets?

omgz thats awesome.

I haven't eaten at micky D's in YEARS, but i'd go there tommarow for curry sauce.

CTLance

My, what a nice idea for a thread. Gotta read through it when I have time. For now, this is my fight against my digicam dinner:

828k17p.jpg

Nürnberger Rostbratwürst (Nuremberg speciality bratwurst) with Sauerkraut. I originally intended to add mashed potatoes as a sidedish, but it turned out that the only milk I had left:
1) was of the low-fat, long-life persuasion and
2) had other plans (turning into yoghurt, from what i could see*).

*Not that I spent too long looking at it, mind you.

Yuck. Not a good start.
6xj9qw1.jpg

Aaaanyway.
Step one: Go out into the freezing cold, pluck last apples from apple tree. No pic of that.

Step two: Gather a pan, some oil, and the prepackaged goods. Get a sporsk and a knife.
Sorry.

Step three: Prepare apple. We only need a few slices.
7wojsxs.jpg
6liirr7.jpg

Step four: Add oil to pan, turn on heat, put pan on stovetop. Wait for pan to get hot.

Step five: Put pan on correct stovetop. Swear (optional). Open packages.
Choose wisely.
854sf49.jpg

6tbj2bs.jpg

(NO.)
85ys9iu.jpg

(Close enough)

Step six: use (sausages) with (hot frying pan)
6ps0diq.jpg

Step seven: Add the apple slices to the pan once the sausages are nearly done. This way they'll soften up and soak up some fat from the sausages for added taste.
73e5ehc.jpg

Step eight: Remove sausages and cover them up, turn down the heat. Then add Sauerkraut (make sure you've squeezed out nearly all of its juice first).
71x1ybo.jpg

Let the Sauerkraut soak up the rest of the fat from the sausages (don't let your fitness trainer/medical advisor see this). Turn up the heat, stir repeatedly until done. Add caraway, a bay leaf and shortly before serving a dash of white wine. Remove bay leaf before consumption.

Serving suggestion:
80l89yx.jpg

An Guadn.

I have to say, cooking stuff is one thing. But snapping pics while doing so is quite a challenge, at least for my chaotic cooking style. My hat is off to you, good sirs.

Also: Beaten by OnkelC, kind of. Booo.

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
Right now I'm eating 'Thai Chicken' (that's what the Supermarket called in, anyway) that I found orphaned in the fridge, with mashed Rosti mini-croquettes (they kinda disintegrated after the microwave treatment) finished with onions and garlic. Sucks to be a student at the end of the month :/ Still, kinda tasty.

Mash

Onkel, can we expect something quite spectacular form this thread this Christmassy of all holidays?

I may even submit some of my own attempts at 'fooding'.

Grecco

OnkelC said:
Consider it done!:lol What Sauces ARE available in the US?

All sauces and dips available in Germany:
Sour Cream Dip (only with potato wedges)
Herbs Dressing (only with salads)
Cayenne-pepper dip (only with certain promotional menus)
Honey-mustard Dip
"Ranch" Dip (never had it, might taste like cow)
Balsamico Dressing (only with salads)
Caesar Dressing (only with salads)
Ketchup
Mayonnaise (80%)
Barbecue Sauce
Curry Sauce
Sweet and sour sauce
Mustard
Chili Dip

Wow this sauce list is pretty awesome. Where i live its just Barbecue Sauce, Sweet and Sour, Spicy Mustard, Honey Mustard, and Ketchup.

That looks great, Onkel! We also had sauerkraut with our Halušky the other night. I didn't post it as it's already posted somewhere back there in the hundreds of pages of IronGAF recipes.

P1010060-3.jpg

P1010063-2.jpg

P1010079-2.jpg

P1010085-3.jpg

woeds

I already ate, but for desert I'll see if I can cook something up using apples, sugar, cinnamon and some Schrobbelèr (Liqueur).

woeds

woeds said:
I already ate, but for desert I'll see if I can cook something up using apples, sugar, cinnamon and some Schrobbelèr (Liqueur).
Success!

apples1.jpg

Apple
apples2.jpg

Glass tray with Schrobbelèr, some sugar and cinnamon
apples4.jpg

Soaking apple
apples5.jpg

Sugar
apples6.jpg

Caramalized
apples7.jpg

Add apple
apples8.jpg

..and some whipped cream

voila :D tasted pretty sweet (pun intended)

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Whoa, folks. The whole day was dead quiet in ze cookoff arena, Onkel went for a round of Metroid, and LOOK AT ALL THE WORTHY CONTRIBUTIONS in the meantime!:lol Thanks to you all for sharing.

heavy liquid, that's how haluschkas are meant to be made, I was lazy for not making them by hand...

Woeds, nice dessert. I make them similar (with calvados, but sans whipped cream) as a side dish for pork fillet sometimes, works out nicely.

CTLance, welcome! Considering the weather, bratwurst seemed like the natural choice, didn't it? ;)

nakedsushi, looking really tasty too, with a wonderful pic!

Mash, stay tuned for some extravagant goodness! :lol
To be honest, I don't have a clue about this years christmas dish, but it's wishing days for the parents and I usually cook by request over the holidays.

Keep sharing folks, I'm looking forward to your stuff.

PSA:
Remember folks, only one drink if you are the designated driver!
1DrinkOnly_1.JPG

CTLance

woeds said:
CTLance: how many portions are in that pan? Fourteen bratwursts seems like a lot :D
I ... uh... I have a very hungry dog.
evasive maneuver #249 ;)

I have to admit that a portion like that would be well within my abilities, though. My fathers' family is originally from Bohemia and loves family gettogethers. They love food, especially eating it. And alcohol at weapons-grade concentrations. The original reason for the meetings (the famines after WW2) have long since gone, but hey, family gatherings need food, yes? Because always talking and drinking is no good at all. It's not healthy. :D

errr... where were we?
It was enough to handily feed two persons, and had I been able to make some mashed potatoes, about three. That would be stretching it kind of thin though. Do consider that Nürnberger Bratwürst are pretty small, roughly the size of a pinky each.

I do have some leftover sauerkraut, though. Maybe I'll be able to recycle it into "Szegediner Gulasch", aka Szekelygulyas (a goulash made with pork, sauerkraut and sour cream). This leftover... it's awfully small, to be honest. Maybe it'll fall victim to the "hungry hungry dog" at night. *cough*Verylikely*cough*

OnkelC: Yep. It's freezing outside, and something solid ("deftig") seemed like the only way to go. Thanks for the warm welcome.

Fake edit: Forgot to press submit. Fixed. Also, what sauerkraut?
Signed,
hungry hungry dog.

DonCuco

Holy crap Onkel, I have never seen such a f-ed up McRib in my life.. Seems like they forgot to dip the meat in the BBQ sauce and slapped a little sauce on top of it.. Cool pics though.. Maybe I'll put pics up next time I make some Shrimp Ceviche or BBQ some ribs...

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
I cooked an actual meal for the first time in quite a while tonight (have been bringing a bagel, yogurt and fruit to work for lunch for months now), though I generally forget to photograph the proceedings. Made roasted chicken with a maple, mustard and beer glaze, spicy-peppered sweet potatoes and grilled asparagus with garlic.

I think I've got enough material now to post about the the different BBQs in Chicago. I was inspired to do this when I saw a great new BBQ place called 'Smoque' in Old Irving Park featured on the Food Network. They've been open for about a year, and they're really trying to expand the local BBQ tastes in Chicago by offering different BBQ specialties from all over the country. I'll try to get this up tomorrow.

Here's a preview shot:

smoque1.jpg

Deconstructed Smoque Saint Louis Rib:
Smoque35.jpg

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
heavy liquid, great shots and really tempring dish, thanks for sharing! Chicago seems to a great place for the discerning food lover :). Looking forward to your full review.

woeds

OnkelC said:
Small preview on the weekend schedule, tonight will be the usual visit to the italian restaurant, tomorrow we were invited to a local high-profile restaurant (by the chef himself btw;)) and sunday is still undecided. Any ideas?
Seeing that you're eating italian on friday, and more traditional food on saturday, maybe something asian on sunday?

I am preparing chicken in saté sauce with rice tonight.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
woeds said:
Seeing that you're eating italian on friday, and more traditional food on saturday, maybe something asian on sunday?

I am preparing chicken in saté sauce with rice tonight.
Satay sounds promising, might actually be an idea! Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom