• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is 2007 officially the best year in gaming now? (Hell NO)

CurlySaysX said:
1996 wins by a country mile.

wo2ad2small.jpg

I really really really miss that game. I wish it would be released on PSN or something (PSP or PS3 store).

tanod

when is my burrito
ram said:
because 1007 = year of the overrated games (heavenly sword, assassins creed, halo 3)

To those 3 games in particular: overhyped, not over-rated, except for one of them.

tanod said:
I think that somewhere, Dragona and Amir0x just had a simultaneous aneurysm.

Are you saying there are those that doubt the greatness of Xenogears!?!?!?!?

By far, the best RPG of the 64/32 bit era, IMO.

jvm

Gamasutra.
Actually, I crunched the numbers and the review scores -- for the whole year -- are fairly low. This is across all consoles and handhelds. Not necessarily the best measure of "awesome games", but it is one. (Only goes back to 2001, using public review data...)

Original article here. Go read. :^) With graphs!

Relevant graph is right there on the first page.

Ah, forget it, I'll just put it up here:
8b9067n.jpg

Incidentally, as for number of great games, take a look at that histogram (in the article, not the graph above) for 2003 vs 2007. In 2003 there were 31 games with 90% or higher (gamerankings) while this year we only have 14. I believe 2004 is similar, but would have to drag out my spreadsheets to confirm.

tanod

when is my burrito
sonycowboy said:
Are you saying there are those that doubt the greatness of Xenogears!?!?!?!?

By far, the best RPG of the 64/32 bit era, IMO.

I'm inclined to agree. It's one of my favorites but I also find it hard to go back to it now.

Sharp

1998 was definitely the better year in gaming for me. MGS, Starcraft and OoT would have carried the year all by themselves, and Pokemon and Half-life just kind of sealed the deal. Damn that year was fun.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Solo said:
Its either 1998, 2001, 2004, or 2007. The Rule of 3 prevails!

2010 will rock, you can safely predict it at this point.

QFT

The Rule of 3 years is the only consistent thing left in this industry :lol Well that and complaining

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Solo said:
Its either 1998, 2001, 2004, or 2007. The Rule of 3 prevails!

2010 will rock, you can safely predict it at this point.
You'd think that would be the case, but with the Wii dominating the market, I wouldn't count on it.

Blackface

Banned
I will say 2007 is the best ever. Mario Galaxy, Mass Effect and Rock band cemented it for me. Not only that but this years sports game have been great and you have things for all ages and demographics like Wii fit and the new Pokemon.

Danne-Danger said:
Performance fixed? Map maker improved? Are the campaigns better in the expansions? Etc.

In short, what's new in the expansions?
Yeah, performance is very much improved. Can't compare the initial release / demo to the current 1.08 at all. The two expansion campaigns are, well-- somewhat the same as the first one. Even in the more 'personal' mercenary thing. The enemy AI is still pretty much the same, there was supposed to be a new patch (1.09) coming out soon, or should have come out already, with fixes-- like seeing through smoke and that more annoying AI stuff I guess.

ziran

I need a bit more time for it to sink in, but at the moment I'd say it's probably the best year ever. It has the quality and a good range in styles. Also, to have EAD release two of my favourite games ever with Phantom Hourglass and Super Mario Galaxy, and for Intelligent Systems to have released two of their best games in Planet Puzzle League and Radiant Dawn, really has been amazing.

Certainly one of the best years I've experienced.

Grecco

dark10x said:
You'd think that would be the case, but with the Wii dominating the market, I wouldn't count on it.

Wouldnt be a thread without a dark10x wii doom and gloom post. Didnt like Mario Galaxy i guess.

Geez, 1998 was truly mental.

RE2 (still the best RE game for me)
Banjo-Kazooie (still my fav 3D platformer)
FFT (has a better SRPG come along since?)
MGS (a mind-blowing, revolutionary experience for the time)
Zelda: OoT (again, revolutionary)
GT (wow, another revolutionary game)
1080 (still the best snowboarding game)
Tekken 3 (arguably the series' peak)
Ridge Racer Type 4 (Japanese release - again, the series' peak)

All that and the FFVIII demo, with all the hype and trailers building up to the early 1999 release in Japan. My favourite year in gaming, by quite a distance.

Philthy

I'm sad there is no EDF love for the 360, nor Dominions 3 love on the PC.

98 didnt matter much because we got Total Annihilation in 97 and that is all that matters.

Kletian

HK-47 said:
OoT, Starcraft and Brood War, Gran Turismo, Grim Fandango, Pokemon Red/Blue, MGS, RE 2, Fallout 2, Baldur's Gate, Starseige Tribes, Half-Life, Banjo Kazooie, FFT, Xenogears, DDR, Shining Force III, Panzer Dragoon Saga, Th3if, Lineage, Rainbow Six, Rogue Squadron, Tekken 3, Unreal, Spyro the Dragon, DoA, 1080 Snowboarding, F-Zero X, Klonoa 1, Turok 2, and a bunch of other stuff

The bolded stuff alone is enough to blow anything '07 had going for it out of the water. Then add on all the other gems and you easily have the best gaming year ever.

'07 will be remembered for Rock Band, Galaxy, and Bioshock. That's about it.

mugwhump

98, 01, 04, 07, wow the rule of 3 does work. :O
What games came out in 1995?
Ynos Yrros said:
Yeah, it can have that title for a month.

2008: MGS4, DMC4, GT5, FFXIII (even if only in Japan), RE5 alongside new games like LBP, with more sequels like KZ2, Resistance 2, MotorStorm 2 and occasionally a Wipeout squeezed in, not to forget Team Ico Project and White Knight Chronicles, and obviously new Getaway and Infamous. And that's just one system.

2008 will be gaming bliss, seeing releases of at least 3 LEGENDARY games, this year had none of those.
LOL if Team Ico's game comes out in 2008 I'll eat my own balls. I'll eat them happily, though.

tanod

when is my burrito
explodet said:
Oh man, 2006 was pretty bleak gaming-wise, looking back.

Maybe the reason 2007 seems so good is because last year was relatively so bad.

Stockholm syndrome.

That being said, I've purchased more games this year than I have in any other before it.

In defense of 2007:
God of War 2
Portal
BioShock
Uncharted
Motor Storm
Ratchet & Clank Future
Heavenly Sword
Skate
Call of Duty 4
Rock Band
Super Mario Galaxy

EDIT: Didn't the first Tony Hawk come out in 1998 too??

Ganondorfo

GeoramA said:
Nothing touches 2001.

No MGS, GTA, or FF made 07 a very disappointing year.

There were final fantasy and metal gear games made in 2007.

Final fantasy 7 crisis core
Metal gear solid portable ops plus
Final fantasy chocobo tales

Brashnir

jvm said:
Incidentally, as for number of great games, take a look at that histogram (in the article, not the graph above) for 2003 vs 2007. In 2003 there were 31 games with 90% or higher (gamerankings) while this year we only have 14. I believe 2004 is similar, but would have to drag out my spreadsheets to confirm.

How many of those were Sports games and yearly franchises? Scoring has become much tougher on those types of games in the last few years. Just looking at the top scoring PS2 games, there's over 20 annual-release sports games with scores of 90 or above.

Compare that to the 360's zero, and I think it starts to become clear why using gamerankings as evidence that one year is better than another, especially across generations, is sketchy at best.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Brashnir said:
How many of those were Sports games and yearly franchises? Scoring has become much tougher on those types of games in the last few years. Just looking at the top scoring PS2 games, there's over 20 annual-release sports games with scores of 90 or above.

Compare that to the 360's zero, and I think it starts to become clear why using gamerankings as evidence that one year is better than another, especially across generations, is sketchy at best.

That was the first thing that came to my mind as well. It seemed like in roughly 95-02, every single release (on every platform) of a decent sports franchise got a 90+. Reviewers were definitely still working from the "well, the last game got a 93, and this is a little better, so it's a 95" model.

1997 - simply for Dungeon Keeper :p

Anyway, 2007 simply rocks in my book. I haven't spent so much on gaming in almost a decade.

jvm

Gamasutra.
Brashnir said:
How many of those were Sports games and yearly franchises? Scoring has become much tougher on those types of games in the last few years.
An excellent point. From 2003, sports getting 0.90 or higher, not counting racing or extreme sports:
Pro Evolution Soccer 3 PS2
NCAA Football 2004 PS2
Madden NFL 2004 PS2
Madden NFL 2004 GC
NCAA Football 2004 XBOX
NCAA Football 2004 GC
Winning Eleven 6 International PS2

From 2007, same rules:
NOTHING

Thanks for pointing that out.

dark10x

Grecco said:
Wouldnt be a thread without a dark10x wii doom and gloom post. Didnt like Mario Galaxy i guess.
Of course I enjoyed Mario Galaxy. That's, what, ONE game? Yeah, that'll keep me busy all year.

*in reality, there were a grand total of three games I've enjoyed greatly for the Wii this year

ghst

thanks for the laugh
mysticstylez said:
While I'm sure I missed some, this list for consoles/handhelds is pretty frickin impressive. Luckily I was able to play most of these myself.

Xbox 360
NBA Street Homecourt
GRAW 2
GH 2
Forza 2
DiRT
Bioshock
Skate
Halo 3
PGR4
Flatout UC
Orange Box
Ace Combat 6
VF5 Online
COD 4
Rock Band
GH3
Mass Effect
Assassins Creed

So why don't these make the PC list? I guess there's something about superior versions that upsets you.

Kletian said:
The bolded stuff alone is enough to blow anything '07 had going for it out of the water. Then add on all the other gems and you easily have the best gaming year ever.

'07 will be remembered for Rock Band, Galaxy, and Bioshock. That's about it.

Christ, first you fail to bold fucking Half-Life. Then you neglect to mention Portal in the games that will be remembered about '07. Yeah, '07 wasn't all that spectacular and I never expected it to be, but Portal was just flawless.

dark10x

ghst said:
So why don't these make the PC list? I guess there's something about superior versions that upsets you.
GRAW2 on the 360 is entirely different game. I suppose it should have been listed as I'm sure some folks prefer it, but it isn't a cut and dried case of "superior version" here.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
ghst said:
Kinda sad really since the PC has had a better year than any individual console.

Right, which was why I added my list. It's kind of customary on GAF though that these "Best Year Ever!" and even "Best Game/RPG/etc.!" threads largely ignore the PC save for a few token titles. I generally just accept that we're talking about console games. Otherwise I would go insane in the RPG threads.

alexh

Chalk in a vote for 2007.

Quite a few games this year have had incredible graphics and environments, which really adds to the immersion for me (halo 3, bioshock, mass effect to name a few). I really haven't been this blown away by the graphics since I fired up the PS1 and played final fantasy VIII.

I think the next obvious step is the Xbox 3(D). Think of blasting away Gears of War 3 locust and Halo 15 covenant in a fully 3D environment. Loving with aliens in Mass Effect 3 would also have an added bonus.

Top Bottom