• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is 2007 officially the best year in gaming now? (Hell NO)

Philthy said:
nor Dominions 3 love on the PC.
That's 2006, dood.

ghst said:
So why don't these make the PC list? I guess there's something about superior versions that upsets you.
I didn't put these on my PC list either actually, guess I just think of these as console games first and foremost. Nothing to do with the quality of the PC versions though.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
I don't know, but I have a DS and 2008 will be the best fucking year ever.

Advance Wars 2
Barnyard Blast
Nanostray 2
Insecticide
Bomberman Touch 2
Ultimate Card Games (if it gets released ever...)
Yep, that's January

Then there is Professor Layton (1-3?), the FF 4-6 remakes (best FF games), the DQ 4-6 remakes (best DQ games), Tales of Innocence, Ninja Gaiden, Ace Attorney 4, FF Crystal Chronicles, ASH, Fire Emblem remake, DQ IX (probably 2009), DS Air, Kirby Ultra Super Deluxe (Ultra and Super in the same sentence, how can this be bad?), LEGO Batman (after the great 2nd LEGO Star Wars on DS, I'm hyped), Sonic RPG (bioware), Myst DS, etc.

RPG fans are in for a treat.

There's also those adventure games (Time Hollow and that SUDA 51 game) that could be coming here.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
ThePeter said:
2007 can GTFO.
2008 = MGS4 and friends = Most magnificent year in human history.

Kojima3editedMORE.jpg

Uh, yeah....right. :lol

MisterHero

Super Mario 64
EarthBound
Yoshi's Island
Super Mario RPG

November 2006-November 2007
Zelda Twilight Princess
Metroid Prime 3
Super Mario Galaxy
Battalion Wars II
Fire Emblem

2007 was an awesome year for Nintendo, but 1995 had Arcades. Without the arcade there's no way the game industry can be better than it was then. SNES and Genesis were even Online. :lol

my vote goes to 1998 as well.

2007 was great, but i don't see why 2008/09/10 can't be as good or better. in 98 however, the stars aligned.

2001: no
2004: year of the sequel, too little innovation

mabuza said:
if youre a 360 owner it was. but ps3 owners will have 2008 as the best year ever

What if you're a videogame player instead of a console-zombie that jerks off to NPDs?

2007 was a very, VERY strong year. I'm thinking it's GYotPC (game-year of the past century)

:)

DangerStepp

MisterHero said:
Super Mario 64
EarthBound
Yoshi's Island
Super Mario RPG

November 2006-November 2007
Zelda Twilight Princess
Metroid Prime 3
Super Mario Galaxy
Battalion Wars II
Fire Emblem

2007 was an awesome year for Nintendo, but 1995 had Arcades. Without the arcade there's no way the game industry can be better than it was then. SNES and Genesis were even Online. :lol
That must be for Japan. I know it didn't hit here until '96. Right?

2007 seems to be the year videogame developers collectively learned how to create compelling single player games. Something very obviously lacking from every other list.

tanod

when is my burrito
After seeing all of the lists, I have to amend my thoughts and say 2007 was the best year we've had in gaming since 1998. In 1998, you needed a PC and a Playstation to get the most out of it. The main difference this time around is that you have to own more than 1 console to do the same.

Jirotrom

CULDCEPT SAGA
No More Heroes
CULDCEPT SAGA
Smash Bros Brawl
CULDCEPT SAGA
DMC4
CULDCEPT SAGA
Wii Fit
CULDCEPT SAGA
NG2
CULDCEPT SAGA
Little Big Planet
CULDCEPT SAGA
Fable 2
CULDCEPT SAGA
RE5
CULDCEPT SAGA
GTA IV
CULDCEPT SAGA
Advanced Wars DS 2
CULDCEPT SAGA

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
mugwhump said:
98, 01, 04, 07, wow the rule of 3 does work. :O
What games came out in 1995?
Yoshis Island =).

How can anyone say that 2008 will be superior to 2007, when neither Nintendo nor Microsoft have announced their Line-Up for this year yet? To make such bold claims, I'd suggest waiting untill the games outside of PS3 are announced and then we still don't know how good the big named games will be. For the time being, I can at least agree that 2007 was a really great year with tons of outstanding games. If it's the best of all years sure is a matter of taste but it's up there for sure. 2006 wasn't bad either though with an absolutely gorgeous DS Line-Up (NSMB, Yoshis Island DS, Phoenix Wright and lots more), PS2's last strong year with gems like Okami, then quite a strong Wii launch with Zelda and Monkey Ball, a good year for PSP (UG&G, LocoRoco, Tekken...) and a really strong Xbox 360 line-up (Viva Pinata, Gears of War...). 2008 has a long way to go in order to beat these great years.

Yoshi said:
How can anyone say that 2008 will be superior to 2007, when neither Nintendo nor Microsoft have announced their Line-Up for this year yet?

If the world comes to an end the day after MGS4 is released, it would still be the best year ever for gaming.

FACT.

tanod

when is my burrito
Yoshi said:
Yoshis Island =).

How can anyone say that 2008 will be superior to 2007, when neither Nintendo nor Microsoft have announced their Line-Up for this year yet? To make such bold claims, I'd suggest waiting untill the games outside of PS3 are announced and then we still don't know how good the big named games will be. For the time being, I can at least agree that 2007 was a really great year with tons of outstanding games. If it's the best of all years sure is a matter of taste but it's up there for sure. 2006 wasn't bad either though with an absolutely gorgeous DS Line-Up (NSMB, Yoshis Island DS, Phoenix Wright and lots more), PS2's last strong year with gems like Okami, then quite a strong Wii launch with Zelda and Monkey Ball, a good year for PSP (UG&G, LocoRoco, Tekken...) and a really strong Xbox 360 line-up (Viva Pinata, Gears of War...). 2008 has a long way to go in order to beat these great years.

PS3 exclusives and multi-platform titles announced are already enough to say that 2008 has a good chance of beating 2007 handily.

The year isn't over yet.

Unreal Tournament 3 for PS3 hasn't been released, yet.

TimeShift [PS3] was a good game. I can't wait to get back home and start playing more of my rental.

herod

mysticstylez said:
While I'm sure I missed some, this list for consoles/handhelds is pretty frickin impressive. Luckily I was able to play most of these myself.

Bioshock
Skate
Rock Band
Assassins Creed
Uncharted
Folklore
Heavenly Sword
Motorstorm
Zack and Wiki
Rune Factory
Picross DS
Puzzle Quest
Jeanne d'Arc
Crush
The Witcher
World in Conflict

Edited for sequels.

This year is the best hands down. 360 hit it's stride, PS3/Wii finally got great exclusives, DS, and PSP had a strong library as well. PC gaming was huge too.

No other year had strong showings in 6 different formats like this year has.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Yeah, this year was pretty great. But next year doesn't look too shabby so far either. What kind of year starts out with so much awesome?

January
Devil May Cry 4
Advance Wars: Days of Ruin
Burnout Paradise

February
Lost Odyssey
Super Smash Bros. Brawl
No More Heroes
Prof. Layton
Shiren the Wanderer

RumFore

Banned
I have played some of the best games I have ever played in my life this year so I would say yes. If you only have one console it may be a different story though.

Bioshock
COD4
Mass Effect
Mario Galaxy

Just to name a few.

ThePeter said:
2007 can GTFO.
2008 = MGS4 and friends = Most magnificent year in human history.

Yeah, 2008 is going to be the shit, although MGS4 doesn't have much to do with it. The open world format will finally mature, with titles like Prototype and infamous catering to the superhuman envy in all of us, and Far Cry 2 raising the bar in regards to free roaming FPS action and dynamic game worlds.

derder

sonycowboy said:
Metal Gear Solid
Zelda Ocarina
Starcraft
Half Life
Baldur's Gate
Gran Turismo
Pokemon Red/Blue
Unreal
Resident Evil 2
Panzer Dragoon Saga
Xenogears

Jesus, I had no idea...

2008 doesn't look that great

SSMB
GTA4
MGS4
GT5
LBP

... are all I can think of

Actually, it just doesn't that good for 360 owners :(

derder said:
Jesus, I had no idea...

2008 doesn't look that great

SSMB
GTA4
MGS4
GT5
LBP

... are all I can think of

Actually, it just doesn't that good for 360 owners :(

.. Prototype, infamous, Fable 2, Killzone 2 (well, it's pretty), Alan Wake, Far Cry 2, Splinter Cell Conviction, etc.

2008 is the shit

When you're listing for 2001, don't forget Super Monkey Ball (the good one).

I'd also vote for 2001 and 1998 over this year, easily. It has been a good year, though.

Here's another vote for 1998. Gaf rarely fails to get the right answer on the first page, IMHO. Just look at Sonycowboy's list. Many of those games are groundbreaking classics, that are revered as some of the best games, ever.

Of course, my opinion is based on judging games in their respective time periods. Let's face it. Nostalgia sucks! Most games don't hold up, well, over time. So while I believe 1998 to be the greatest year in gaming, I don't believe it has the greatest games by today's standards.

George Claw M.D. said:
Here's another vote for 1998. Gaf rarely fails to get the right answer on the first page, IMHO. Just look at Sonycowboy's list. Many of those games are groundbreaking classics, that are revered as some of the best games, ever.

Of course, my opinion is based on judging games in their respective time periods. Let's face it. Nostalgia sucks! Most games don't hold up, well, over time. So while I believe 1998 to be the greatest year in gaming, I don't believe it has the greatest games by today's standards.

Get out here, nostalgia is the best thing ever, I can wallow in it for days.

FoeHammer

I don't know if it's been the best, but it's definitely been the most expensive. Owning all three current gen systems and a DS has made my wallet a sad panda.

tanod

when is my burrito
AltogetherAndrews said:
.. Prototype, infamous, Fable 2, Killzone 2 (well, it's pretty), Alan Wake, Far Cry 2, Splinter Cell Conviction, etc.

2008 is the shit

Lost Odyssey, Halo Wars, Burnout: Paradise, DMC4, Resistance and Gears 2 and White Knight Chronicles.

IF FFXIII came out next year, which it's obviously not, I'd call 2008 better than 2007 right now.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
I think 1998 still wins.. however, this is very very very close.

But you left off the best game of 1998 SonyCowboy.

Gim_fandango_cover.jpg

Fallout-NL said:
Get out here, nostalgia is the best thing ever, I can wallow in it for days.

I apologize. You're right. Nostalgia is great! Just don't get tempted to actually revisit most of those memories.

Need an example? Think of your prepubescent Hollywood crushes. Now look up pictures of them from the same time period.
I never should've rewatched Weird Science... or Howard the Duck.

EDIT: You're right, StoOgE! Grim Fangdango is one of my favorites. I feel honored to have been inducted into the Gaf community with Tim.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
OoT
Starcraft and Brood War
Gran Turismo
Grim Fandango
Pokemon Red/Blue
MGS
RE 2
Fallout 2
Baldur's Gate
Starseige Tribes
Half-Life
Banjo Kazooie
FFT
Xenogears
DDR
Shining Force III
Panzer Dragoon Saga
Th3if
Lineage
Rainbow Six
Rogue Squadron
Tekken 3
Unreal
Spyro the Dragon
DoA
1080 Snowboarding
F-Zero X
Klonoa 1
Turok 2
Space Station Silicon Valley
Radiant Silvergun
Brave Fencer Musashi
Crash 3: Warped
Einhänder
Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon
Wario Land II
Battlezone
Body Harvest
Myth II
Parasite Eve
Saga Frontier
T0mba!
Wild Arms
King of Fighters '98
Herectic II
Worms 2
Bust A Groove
Railroad Tycoon II

Oh yeah Best. Year. Ever

edit:
Forgot Warhammer: Dark Omen

alu

sonycowboy said:
Are you saying there are those that doubt the greatness of Xenogears!?!?!?!?

By far, the best RPG of the 64/32 bit era, IMO.

Wait wha? I thought GAF hated Xenogears. It's my favourite console-game to date, shortly followed by Seiken Densetsu 2. PC however, well there are too many good ones for me to have a specific favourite.

Shins

Banned
AstroLad said:
Being an all-platform owner is BRUTAL and sympathy-meriting. I've had to skip SMG, COD4, Uncharted, Mass Effect, etc. just because I don't have the time and I still have an intimidating backlog.
Overconsumption is not a disease, it is a decision, like the decision to step out in front of a moving car. You would call that not a disease but an error of judgment.

Anth

Meh, I'm still not convinced this year had much that will stand the test of time. We had Mario Galaxy, which will remain one of the best games ever for some time, but after that, it drops off quickly. The Orange Box was brilliant of course, but it derived much of its value from the old Half Life 2. Portal and Team Fortress 2 would probably merely be great and not brilliant on their own. Other than that, we have Bioshock, which was great, but felt very much like System Shock 2, and didn't compare favorably on all fronts. Halo3, which was great, but arguably overhyped (greatest hype machine ever), but not much else other that could be considered outstanding. Certainly nothing on the PS3, and nothing other than Galaxy on the Wii. Nothing that will be remembered in ten years from now. And there certainly isn't anything that will spawn an entire new genre, or completely revamp game design.

There is really no comparision to 1998 which had
OoT, which is often enough considered to be best game ever;
Starcraft, often considered to be the best RTS ever (certainly the most popular);
MGS and Thi3f, which pioneered the stealth genre;
Tekken 3, one of the best and most popular fighters ever;
FFT, which made Tactic RPGs viable outside of Japan;
the original Pokemon, which spawned a franchise that is still hugely successful, despite being milked for all it's worth, and is one of the most recognized games ever;
Fallout 2, one of the high points of WRPG history;
Baldur's Gate, the first game that used the Infinity Engine which would be used in Baldur's Gate 2 and Planescape Torment, among the best WRPGs and indeed, games in general, and made Bioware famous;
Half-Life, which drastically influenced all further FPS, especially with Counter Strike;
DDR, arguably the most important rhythm game;
Unreal, which spawned a very relevant and successful franchise;
Rainbow Six, which would spawn the tactic shooter;
Gran Turismo, which would spawn one of the most important racing franchise;
and Grim Fandago, one of the last great adventures, hugely underappreciated.

How many comparable games did we have this year? Galaxy, Orange Box, maybe Halo3, maybe Bioshock or Mass Effect (depending on future sequels)? It's not even comparable. 1998 was so many times better and more important than 2007.

Ynos Yrros said:
Yeah, it can have that title for a month.

2008: MGS4, DMC4, GT5, FFXIII (even if only in Japan), RE5 alongside new games like LBP, with more sequels like KZ2, Resistance 2, MotorStorm 2 and occasionally a Wipeout squeezed in, not to forget Team Ico Project and White Knight Chronicles, and obviously new Getaway and Infamous. And that's just one system.

2008 will be gaming bliss, seeing releases of at least 3 LEGENDARY games, this year had none of those.
Sorry to burst your PS3 hype bubble, but it is unlikely that next year will have any game better than Mario Galaxy.
Games have been way too overhyped this gen. See Lair, Assassin's Creed, Heavenly Sword, Twilight Princess and even Halo 3 as far as I'm concerned. Don't judge a game before it is actually released, otherwise even a good game will disappoint you.

Top Bottom