• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is 8-bit Amiibo the next logical step for Nintendo?

Hi, all!

Was thinking about this the last few days, and with today's Zelda news, it's makes more sense to ask.

Now, I really don't collect many toys, but one of the few that captured my eye are the "World of Nintendo" brand - case in point the 8-bit variants:

tumblr_o4f8jbzesK1t0v21do1_500.jpg

To me, they're the perfect mash up of nostalgia and awesome.

We know Ninty did the two Classic Mario amiibos last year, and today, they're doing a Link one for Zelda's 30th anniversary (was hoping for a boxed collection, but I digress...)

My point is that why wait for an anniversary for this stuff? The WON figures are selling out like hot cakes, and amiibo kinda does need a punch in the arm after the failure of the Animal Crossing and second Splatoon packs.

So, I ask you, GAF. Would you be interested in amiibos of:

dn-smb1-princesspeach.jpg

2a0bae4d646a064d098433937d16e2a2.jpg

a55ff33c3ae4a2fe31439999caf8a56a.jpg

dn-metroid-samus-suit.jpg

These ladies

59330_maxas_8-bit-dk.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

dn-punch-out-littlemac-05.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

my_ganon_by_vampiricjoker-d59mqbz.png

piq_46094_400x400.png

Or these guys

Megaman8bit.jpg

images

Or these guest stars

oldmario

pls no these are the only types amiibos i'm interested in and i'm not interested in having my balance destroyed

Dystify

I'm more into original amiibo figures, but I like the 8bit amiibo if it's for special occasions. If they do sell well I'm sure Nintendo will create more even if it's not to an anniversary...

I'd love to own all amiibo but at some point it'll be too many, so I'll focus on the ones I like most. 8bit amiibo aren't among them, even when they still look nice.

McNum

I kind of want an SMB1 Peach amiibo just so I can see how that sprite is supposed to work. Is that her mouth? Her hair? Why is there pink pixels out the edge below her nose?

It never made sense to me.

I kind of want an SMB1 Peach amiibo just so I can see how that sprite is supposed to work. Is that her mouth? Her hair? Why is there pink pixels out the edge below her nose?

It never made sense to me.

Her mouth.

9ZK9qyK.png

She has an interestingly shaped head, if that's supposed to be her hair.
It does look a bit weird, though, yeah. I like her SMB2 (Japanese version) sprite more for that reason.

trugs26

I was thinking about this, but concluded no. They only have 3 iconic 8-bit sprites (Mario, Link and Donkey Kong). They've already done 2 of them. They could do Donkey Kong, but I couldn't imagine anything else. For example, the 8-bit sprite for Samus isn't very well known.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Is take an 8-bit Luigi and Link. Maybe also a mushroom retainer (Toad wasn't a thing until SMB2 USA) as long as it keeps the middle fingers. And a Toadstool to finish it off. Oh and Bowser. I already have the two Marios.

All from the original of course.

Theonik

The sprite amiibo is basically the hero I made in 3D Dot Heroes on the PS3. That game is best left forgotten.

I'm sure they're do more like Donkey Kong, Samus and Kirby.

But I wonder how deep they go. Ganon, Bowser and Peach's 8-bit sprites don't look as great as the three above as well as Mario and Link.

I think the main character of each franchise (along with a Luigi recolor) is all that's needed.

Amiibo aren't flying off the shelves and of they're not in the Smash line Amazon discounts them to below half price relatively soon after launch.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Sonic, Link, Megaman and Kirby are the only ones that are super iconic in that form. Maybe Excitebike guy.

The taller characters would also look silly considering the squat character sprites they've done have pretty much maxed out the amiibo height that can fit in the packaging. A Samus or Simon Belmont or whatever would be just as tall but twice as thin, with half the 'pixel density,' which would make them all look terribly scaled next to each other.

Top Bottom