• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is a 1070 GTX enough for next gen

More than just how powerful some GPUs may be running next gen games, it will be interesting to see how much VRAM will be necessary.

For cross gen titles you should be fine but for games that were designed specifically for next gen we MAY run into a situation where 8GB of VRAM is just not enough.

But we don't really know yet, don't even know how much RAM next gen consoles will have.

Armorian

Banned
According to your site, Xbox one x can only run 13fps to 17fps. @1080p!!! And that would be with one of the best processors possible, so subtract that framerate by a huge margin because of the crappy Jaguar cpu the xbx and ps4pro have. Think about that for a second

In 1080p ultra benchmark RX580 runs 28 fps average with 23 low. But it doesn't matter because ultra settings on PC are WAY more demanding than "X1X settings".

I cant find it right now but I have seen the video (DF?) of RX580 (closest thing to X1X GPU) running the game on "X1X settings" and it coudn't run the game as well as the console at 4K.

Last edited:
In 1080p ultra benchmark RX580 runs 28 fps average with 23 low. But it doesn't matter because ultra settings on PC are WAY more demanding than "X1X settings".

I cant find it right now but I have seen the video (DF?) of RX580 (closest thing to X1X GPU) running the game on "X1X settings" and it coudn't run the game as well as the console at 4K.
Which is why those benchmarks from that site are b.s. furthermore, who says next gen HAS to be played at 4k, everything maxed out? If people would rather play at 1080p, the gtx 1070 still has plenty of life left. I'm guessing next gen consoles will be between a gtx 1660 ti and rtx 2060. I don't see much more performance than that.

Armorian

Banned
Which is why those benchmarks from that site are b.s. furthermore, who says next gen HAS to be played at 4k, everything maxed out? If people would rather play at 1080p, the gtx 1070 still has plenty of life left. I'm guessing next gen consoles will be between a gtx 1660 ti and rtx 2060. I don't see much more performance than that.

I always found they benchmarks quite reliable but you can think whatever you want. 12TF Navi GPU SHOULD be close to 2070S/2080, we'll see that when big Navi launches later this year.

slade

You'll be fine for 1080p gaming. Next Gen is targeting 4k resolution. Your CPU is probably going to be a bigger bottleneck if you don't have something similar to what is in the consoles. Also, maybe the SSD makes a difference.

It is hard to know for sure right now with so many rumors and so little actual info on next Gen games.

I always found they benchmarks quite reliable but you can think whatever you want. 12TF Navi GPU SHOULD be close to 2070S/2080, we'll see that when big Navi launches later this year.
So you think Sony and Microsoft are willing to put out a product in the $600 range or so? That alone would be a loss for them, especially if they price any cheaper, like $500. I firmly believe consoles will be around 9-10TF at most. There would be too much heat to dissipate and a larger than 200watt power draw for sure.

carsar

I've been playing about 50-100 curren gen games at 4k/30fps with old gpu 980 ti@1400. So, if nextgen tries to handle 4k/60fps target, I don't see real obsticles why 980 ti/1070/1070 ti/vega 56 would fail to handle 4k 30fps with console setiings.

Last edited:
It depends what you want to play, on the resolution/frame rate you want to target, what CPU are you matching it with?

I would wait until the first or second generation of cards are released AFTER the next gen consoles are out, unless you are on a hurry.

Current raytracing GPUs don't do it so well, and depending on the resolution bthe benefits you will get from an upgrade will be minimal especially if you are willing to tweak graphics settings manually.

Armorian

Banned
So you think Sony and Microsoft are willing to put out a product in the $600 range or so? That alone would be a loss for them, especially if they price any cheaper, like $500. I firmly believe consoles will be around 9-10TF at most. There would be too much heat to dissipate and a larger than 200watt power draw for sure.

XSX won't be cheap for sure, his time around consoles are closer to top PC parts than in 2013:

- RDNA GPU better than what we have today on PC (from AMD), and not far from what we will have in few months (big Navi)
- Ryzen 8/16 3.2GHz+ CPU, that's ~ third best AMD CPU for mainstream market right now and close to the top in gaming performance (games don't use more than 16 threads)
- SSD with performance better or close to fastest PC parts right now

I think ~500$ will be minimum for XSX (with potential for 550 or even 600$).

Last edited:
Depending on the game, your resolution and graphics settings, maybe? Hard to say, really. I mean, I know of people who are still rocking a 970 this generation and getting by 'okay'.

What about this card?

h3Ut3GA.jpg

Came out around the same time as the PS3, and games that generation still used it as recommended specs.

Haha, that reminded me, I think I still have an 8800 in my parts closet somewhere. What a great card. :)

Last edited:

Drake

I guess it depends on what resolution you want to play at and how much you care about eye candy. I'm still rocking a GTX 780 and I can play most stuff just fine (1080p), although I do have to turn some stuff down in some modern games. I will be upgrading this year though.

List your type of games cause it's not a simple question, anyway, if you are targeting 1080p then you'll be fine for the next 3 to 5 years , if you're looking specifically for the least aging cards I recommend amd gpus cause nvidia cards get dated quickly, I'm not talking about special effects, I'm talking about raw performance cause as soon as your card outclassed by newer set of cards naturally you'll depend on its performance for the next few years, therefore, the architecture for cpus ,newer cpu architecture is always better, don't wait for ddr5 ram ,it's a bad habit to wait for the next gen ddr memory, just pick the right one for your needs.

scalman

noone knows because noone knows what will be next gen pc games specs after consoles comes out . its enough now for this gen so i think no it wont be nearly enough for next gen games, at least it should be , otherwise they will be much downgraded

scalman

1060 was enough for me for 1080p but not for 60 fps though for this gen now , so no way it will be enough in next gen when they will jump so much those pc specs would need to fly off the roof i guess to follow. or devs will make crappy pc ports it will be even worse then.

Last edited:
Wait till a year or two after next gen drops. a 1070 won't get optimization like the console APU's.
Devs are saying the next gen GPU's are between a 2080 and 2080 ti and that's without all the optimization they will do over the generation.
I'd wait for the new 3000 series.

Lmfao.

Between 1080 and 1080ti/2080 is far more realistic. The so-called devs that have said it'll rival the 2080ti are huffing crack.

1060 was enough for me for 1080p but not for 60 fps though for this gen now , so no way it will be enough in next gen when they will jump so much those pc specs would need to fly off the roof i guess to follow. or devs will make crappy pc ports it will be even worse then.

Apart from Rockstar games, my 1060 6GB does 1080p/60fps with very little in game tweaking.

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
There are graphic options other than "ultra" so yeah i think it will hold on in someway(crying inside with my rx580, not even 8gb only 4 :messenger_loudly_crying: ).

Kenpachii

I think so too. I have completed Oblivion with 15-20 fps, played most games with medium settings(or worse) for 10 years, so i'm ready for any challange.

Well this gen only used 2gb of v-ram really on PC on a 8gb ps4 memory pool so 4gb should be sufficient as bare minimum if sony focuses on 16gb. It depends tho, i could see them aim for 6gb cards as minimum or 8gb if nvidia and amd decides next generation to not release lower v-ram gpu's anymore.

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
Well this gen only used 2gb of v-ram really on PC on a 8gb ps4 memory pool so 4gb should be sufficient as bare minimum if sony focuses on 16gb. It depends tho, i could see them aim for 6gb cards as minimum or 8gb if nvidia and amd decides next generation to not release lower v-ram gpu's anymore.
New Assassin's Creed's and RDR 2 uses lots of them(more than 4gb) so next gen games will use at least 4-6gb of vram on console settings imho. But thank god you can optimize every inch of detail in PC so i think 4gb will be ok if they don't completely abandon them, but nevertheless i will wait for inevitable new generation graphics cards after console releases.

Kenpachii

New Assassin's Creed's and RDR 2 uses lots of them(more than 4gb) so next gen games will use at least 4-6gb of vram on console settings imho. But thank god you can optimize every inch of detail in PC so i think 4gb will be ok if they don't completely abandon them, but nevertheless i will wait for inevitable new generation graphics cards after console releases.

Both games are rated at 2gb for minimum specs. I play ac odyssey at max settings and i don't think i ever saw it hit 6gb of v-ram. RDR2 wouldn't know don't have it. Watched some people with 2gb v-ram cards seems to have no issue's playing both of those games.

That's what i mean, v-ram shouldn't be much of a issue, and with high resolution focus even the most budget card atm will be future proof. The 5700xt is only 2x faster then your gpu at the end of the day while 4k over 1080p eats more then 2x performance.

Now imagine a 1070 tier card with 8gb of v-ram which is faster then a 580. And people are worried about it. They are tottally delusional on how powerful the 1000 series gpu's are. they basically made the entire 2000 series lineup useless besides the 2080 ti and to some extent super.

I would say u don't got much to worry about if you can play on low settings and 1080p resolution for next generation. Otherwise just buy a random budget card in the 3000 series nvidia or whatever amd has and u will probably ride the entire gen out without much issue's.

Last edited:

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
Both games are rated at 2gb for minimum specs. I play ac odyssey at max settings and i don't think i ever saw it hit 6gb of v-ram. RDR2 wouldn't know don't have it. Watched some people with 2gb v-ram cards seems to have no issue's playing both of those games.

That's what i mean, v-ram shouldn't be much of a issue, and with high resolution focus even the most budget card atm will be future proof. The 5700xt is only 2x faster then your gpu at the end of the day while 4k over 1080p eats more then 2x performance.

Now imagine a 1070 tier card with 8gb of v-ram which is faster then a 580. And people are worried about it. They are tottally delusional on how powerful the 1000 series gpu's are. they basically made the entire 2000 series lineup useless besides the 2080 ti and to some extent super.

I would say u don't got much to worry about if you can play on low settings and 1080p resolution for next generation. Otherwise just buy a random budget card in the 3000 series nvidia or whatever amd has and u will probably ride the entire gen out without much issue's.
Yeah i will wait for that budget card, maybe with a monitor update to 1440p. 580 will get me through that knack 3 period.

Well 2080RTX TI will be out of date next year...
True, though I understand the exaggerating point of view but that's how technology works, you'll just distance yourself from the real difference if you just depend on on-paper specs, it's like criticizing a 384 bit gpu for not seing a bigger number for ages, all these numbers shows no indication on something by any mean.

I know we're already 3 pages in but asking if something is good enough for next gen seems silly right? Just wait for next gen to come out and you'll see soon enough.

Last edited:

Armorian

Banned
Even my 2070 probably won't be enough for next gen so i'll be upgrading

Why woudn't it? NG consoles will be barely better in best case scenario.

Edit: It won't be enough to play all 30 fps next gen games in 60 on the same settings (including ~4k resolution) but you will probably need 3080ti for that or even 4xxx series.

Last edited:

Belmonte

You guys are so used to high end machines that you lost your point of reference.

I have a GTX 970, play everything at 1080p/60fps and even with tweaks, I have better graphics than the base consoles.

Armorian

Banned
You guys are so used to high end machines that you lost your point of reference.

I have a GTX 970, play everything at 1080p/60fps and even with tweaks, I have better graphics than the base consoles.

You can do that because games are made with 1.8TF console in mind with weak ass CPU and HDD. Once NG hits base GPU power will move to ~10TF, 16 thread Z2 CPU and SSD, storage and CPU requirements will skyrocket (I wonder how S3 SSDs will fare) and current GPUs will give you high framerates only in lower resolutions (1080/1440p).

Last edited:

Trimesh

Banned
I honestly don't think so - I've got the GTX 1080 (the non-Ti version), and I'm surprised it's remained a viable option for as long as it has. At this point, it is a 4 year old card after all. I fully expect the next generation of games to be doing things that force people running GeForce 10 series cards to either dial the settings way back or run in reduced resolution.

Top Bottom