• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is buying a PS5 day one a reasonable course of action? I am debating this ...

Nickolaidas

90% seems a bit high starting out. I guess I'm not too stressed out over the backlog issue. My backlog is just going to grow as soon as the ps5 comes around so not being able to play a couple of older games at launch won't hurt me.
Well, okay, not 90% but the games below MUST be available day one in order for me to buy a PS5 day one.

Air Combat 7
Black Desert
Bloodborne
Dark Souls 1-3
Devil May Cry 1-5 & DmC
Diablo III
Divinity 1-2
Doom 1-Eternal
Dragon Age Inquisition
Dragon Ball FighterZ
Dragon's Crown
Dying Light
Earth Defense Force 4-5, Iron Rain
Final Fantasy VII Re, XV
God of War III, GoW
Grand Kingdom
Horizon Zero Dawn
Injustice 2
Mass Effect Andromeda
Minecraft
Monster Hunter World
Mortal Kombat XL
Mortal Kombat 11
Pillars of Eternity 1-2
Pinball FX3
Pure Chess
Resident Evil 0-7
Skyforce
SoulCalibur VI
Spider-Man
Street Fighter V
Surge 1-2
Tetris Effect
Void Bastards
Witcher 3
X-COM 2

Last edited:

Tulipanzo

Me too. But I NEED to know whether or not my PS4 backlog is going to be 90% compatible on the PS5 system on day one.
Well, they did say the overwhelming majority of the 4000 games will work, so 90% seems like a lock.
They're probably going to show BC and other system features after GoT drops.

Nickolaidas

Well, they did say the overwhelming majority of the 4000 games will work, so 90% seems like a lock.
They're probably going to show BC and other system features after GoT drops.
They didn't say that. They said they currently TESTING over 4000 games - there's no guarantee they'll all be playable day one.

I hope they are.

NahaNago

Well, okay, not 90% but the games below MUST be available day one in order for me to buy a PS5 day one.

Air Combat 7
Black Desert
Bloodborne
Dark Souls 1-3
Devil May Cry 1-5 & DmC
Diablo III
Divinity 1-2
Doom 1-Eternal
Dragon Age Inquisition
Dragon Ball FighterZ
Earth Defense Force 4-5, Iron Rain
Final Fantasy VII Re, XV
God of War III, GoW
Grand Kingdom
Horizon Zero Dawn
Injustice 2
Mass Effect Andromeda
Minecraft
Monster Hunter World
Mortal Kombat XL
Mortal Kombat 11
Pillars of Eternity 1-2
Pinball FX3
Pure Chess
Resident Evil 0-7
SoulCalibur VI
Spider-Man
Street Fighter V
Surge 1-2
Tetris Effect
Void Bastards
Witcher 3
X-COM 2

You need to have around 30 games at launch in order to buy a ps5? For a new console for me as long as it has 5 games I'm interested in buying then I get it. That is pretty much how I ended up convincing myself to buy the xbox one s eventually.

MrS

Banned
Of course it is. The later in the console lifecycle you buy, the worse the investment becomes. Maximise your time with the console by buying day one.

Tulipanzo

They didn't say that. They said they currently TESTING over 4000 games - there's no guarantee they'll all be playable day one.

I hope they are.

They did, you're misremembering
https://blog.playstation.com/2020/03/18/unveiling-new-details-of-playstation-5-hardware-technical-specs/ said:
We believe that the overwhelming majority of the 4,000+ PS4 titles will be playable on PS5.
The testing they are referring too is for issues running in boost-mode, but all games will run in PS4 Native.
It was a bit confusing with their first draft.

Last edited:

cm osi

as it is now, no. we still don't know many aspects of it, all the games avaible at launch and its stability

for all we know ps5 could develop a RROD situation

Go for it day one i say, if funds are not an issue. Consoles dont launch everyday.

Backward compatibility should be available for all games going for approval here on as games are required to be ps5 compatible by sony.

Kokoloko85

Day one.
I have Death Stranding. Last of US part 2. Ghosts of Tsushima. RDR 2. Cyberpunk. Final Fantasy 7 & Final Fantasy 15 royal all waiting to be played.

PLus whenever they drop Gran Turismo 7, Spider Man MM, Ratchet and Clank, Horizon 2, Demon souls and little devil inside Bethesdas 2 shooters and more. Plenty reasons for me to buy day 1

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
You got the money?

Kerlurk

Banned

Last edited:

FranXico

If I happen to have the spare money and find one for sale around release, I'll probably get one then.

If it does not work out that way, just wait. Never feed scalpers.

Last edited:
I wanted to play Cyberpunk 2077 on the PS5 only, but there's no way I'm a day-1 buyer...not with that GPU running at 2.23 Ghz. I'm not confident that Sony can manage the heat dissipation, especially after my PS4 Pro debacle.

Last edited:

iorek21

I'll buy day one it if the pricing is fair in my country.

What really makes me a little cautious about it are the possible defects it might have. Although I rarely heard anything bad about Sony in that regard, X360 lights of death is an ongoing trauma for me.

Inappropriate Behavior
Even if I was interested in buying a PS5 which I'm not because of Sony's censorship, this is why I'd wait:

- a Pro-model *will* come, no doubt about it
- it'll take a couple years before you have at least 3-4 musthave nextgen games, perfect for when above happens
- I have no doubt that this PS5 will be unacceptable loud again, its design looks anti-fan management
- speaking of which: it looks awful
- and combining some of the above: the PS5 Pro will most likely look VASTLY different, so launch-buyers will be left with the toy-PS5 while those who wait get a more simplistic, elegant looking PS5 redesign

So yeah, if I was interested in a PS5, I'd wait 2-3 more years for the Pro-redesign.

Neo Blaster

Only two reasons I will probably postpone getting PS5 at lauch is the prohibitive price here in Brazil, what would make me get it from gray market but still expensive and no warranty, leading to the second reason, failure rate at the beginning.

I refuse to believe that. If the PS5 was a jet engine all over again, Cerny wouldn't spend a part of his PS5 talk to tell us how they fucked up with the Pro and how the PS5 will not follow the same road.

I mean, if "not a literal jet engine" is your bar, then I guess you'll be happy.

I just don't want to hear a console during playing a game. The Xbox One X is silent, the PS4 Pro a noise monster. MS deserves the benefit of the doubt that the Series X will be very quiet, too, and the case of the Series X looks good for that. With PS5 ... I dunno. With how thin/flat it is, it just looks prone to overheating and all that.

Humdinger

Personally, I'd wait until there are 3 or 4 games you really want to play available on it. I don't really see the point of buying it before that. I wouldn't worry about stock shortages.

Nickolaidas

I mean, if "not a literal jet engine" is your bar, then I guess you'll be happy.

I just don't want to hear a console during playing a game. The Xbox One X is silent, the PS4 Pro a noise monster. MS deserves the benefit of the doubt that the Series X will be very quiet, too, and the case of the Series X looks good for that. With PS5 ... I dunno. With how thin/flat it is, it just looks prone to overheating and all that.
Oh trust me, I'm a serious supporter of the 'fuck with that fan noise already! what the fuck?' club. Just check my PS4 Pro fan noise thread.

I just think that Cerny wouldn't have said what he said if he didn't had built something which would make the fan noise acceptable.

Now, whisper quiet? That may be asking for a lot. And frankly I doubt that a PS5 pro version will be whisper quiet as well.

Nickolaidas

Personally, I'd wait until there are 3 or 4 games you really want to play available on it. I don't really see the point of buying it before that. I wouldn't worry about stock shortages.
Playing my PS4 games in higher res, better framerate and no load times is a solid incentive to buy a PS5 day one - as long as they DO make the PS4 BC games almost all being available day one.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Assuming backwards compatibility is there and even offers boosts on PS4 Pro performance, I think there's a good argument for getting one day one even if the launch games aren't stellar.

DavidGzz

I am getting both consoles but there are many questions still on if they are must haves from the get go. How good is the BC, what are the launch games, and which will play the better version of 3rd party games? We'll find out soonish.

Last edited:

Eliciel

reasonable thing is to sell your PS4pro 3-4 months before console release. Cash in. Then go on vacation and focus on life for a few months and come back and think about playing a game you are REALLY interested in on PS5....I will not buy blindly..

JMZ555

I sold my PS4 Pro soon as i completed Last Of Us 2. No game coming out before PS5 on PS4 i want. Have PC for Cyberpunk, no interest in GOT.

The money from PS4 pro will go towards PS5. I will get at launch.

Jtibh

Banned
I dou
Playing my PS4 games in higher res, better framerate and no load times is a solid incentive to buy a PS5 day one - as long as they DO make the PS4 BC games almost all being available day one.
I doubt ps4 games will have no load times.
They are not designed with the ssd I/o in mind .
You can see that with current ssd used on ps4. It shortens the load time but not eliminating them.

Jtibh

Banned
Even if I was interested in buying a PS5 which I'm not because of Sony's censorship, this is why I'd wait:

- a Pro-model *will* come, no doubt about it
- it'll take a couple years before you have at least 3-4 musthave nextgen games, perfect for when above happens
- I have no doubt that this PS5 will be unacceptable loud again, its design looks anti-fan management
- speaking of which: it looks awful
- and combining some of the above: the PS5 Pro will most likely look VASTLY different, so launch-buyers will be left with the toy-PS5 while those who wait get a more simplistic, elegant looking PS5 redesign

So yeah, if I was interested in a PS5, I'd wait 2-3 more years for the Pro-redesign.
Just quit with this fuckin censorship garbage.

Those couple jap games no one cares for in the western world mean jack shit.
I yet have to play any game that has any censorship in it and i have from psnow to over 200 games in library and no fuckin censorship.

This is some idiot excuse from xfans as always.

You want to talk about censorship lets talk about all the games and i mean all the games that got blood removed violance removed or flat out banned in germany and arabic countries.

We get it you dont care for playstation just get outta here with these bullshit comments

Just quit with this fuckin censorship garbage.

Those couple jap games no one cares for in the western world mean jack shit.
I yet have to play any game that has any censorship in it and i have from psnow to over 200 games in library and no fuckin censorship.

This is some idiot excuse from xfans as always.

You want to talk about censorship lets talk about all the games and i mean all the games that got blood removed violance removed or flat out banned in germany and arabic countries.

We get it you dont care for playstation just get outta here with these bullshit comments

You're wrong.

Captain Hero

The Spoiler Soldier
You are buying it for the games you Love and want to play .. so why waiting for others to make that decision for you ?

:)

Leonidas

Buying a console at launch is the absolute worst time to buy one.

Lowest amount of exclusives at launch.
Price of the system is the highest at launch.

Best to wait till there are many exclusives that actually interest you.

Thaedolus

There’s not enough time in the world to play all the good shit out there right now. If I need to wait a minute to get the new console that has better loading times and reflections, I’ll be just fine

Abear21

Banned
Day one for me so I’d say yes. Already confirmed patches and performance improvements for titles day one-imagine tlou2, rdr2, cyberpunk, etc. all looking better than they already do? Yeah I want to see that and not just read impressions of it all on the internet.

People aren’t wrong about high price and launch software not usually being great, but I got my ps3, ps4, and pro day one and had no issues and loved every second! 4K tv is a must do it’ll be pricey for me but I’m beyond ready, it’s been a long gen

I wouldn’t by the inferior console power wise first on launch day tbh. I am getting the xbox series x launch because it will play the third Party games I like the best out of all the consoles.

Jtibh

Banned
Buying a console at launch is the absolute worst time to buy one.

Lowest amount of exclusives at launch.
Price of the system is the highest at launch.

Best to wait till there are many exclusives that actually interest you.
I agree with comment.

Majukun

buy a console day onee is never reasonable

you might still wanna do it, but it's never a good idea, unless your ps4 just breaks and you would need a new one

Abear21

Banned
If not day one then when? After a price drop? A year at least. After a stability update or two? That’ll happen within a week or two if it’s major.

If people are waiting for lots of games to play then I understand that, but the price and risky day one hardware aren’t really risks-if you have the money you don’t care about that and buying day one you are really taking a very small risk on having to return the hardware. Even if it does break it’s normally covered under a year warranty, just don’t go stripping it down or voiding the warranty and you’ll be fine.

Im excited for Cyberpunk on new hardware and for me that’s worth it alone, but that’s just me.

I never buy any console on day 1. Only when there is a good deal going on it or if there is a game which I must play immediately.

-Arcadia-

Banned
I would simply buy the PS5, and hold onto the Pro for BC edge cases.

Lowest theoretical bar, absolute minimum, games coming out (like Cyberpunk) that you would play on your Pro are going to be hitting native 4K, with higher settings, kind of a PS4 Pro Pro.

To me, that alone makes it worth it. Our generations are becoming less distinct, and anything on last-gen will be here, and look and play better.

Add in exclusives you might end up liking, or surprise hits only on next-gen or that play best there, as well as the fun of new tech, and why not, right?

At least, that's my perspective as a gigantic nerd for this stuff.

The Alien

Banned
First of all, I intend my PS5 to fully replace my PS4 Pro. I do not want both consoles taking space in my room.

Also, three of the games I really want to play on my PS5 are not released until late 2021/early 2022 - Demon's Souls, Resident Evil 8 and Horizon Forbidden West.

So with my top 3 requested games coming 12-20 months down the line, and with Backwards Compatibility not fully integrated on Day One ... is buying a PS5 a good idea for me?

On the other hand, what happens if I change my mind but all stores in my country will be out of stock and I'll have to wait 2-4 months to get a PS5?

The very definition of first world problems, right here.
Dont worry about it. The PS5 will be back compat with a few games.

First of all, I intend my PS5 to fully replace my PS4 Pro. I do not want both consoles taking space in my room.

Also, three of the games I really want to play on my PS5 are not released until late 2021/early 2022 - Demon's Souls, Resident Evil 8 and Horizon Forbidden West.

So with my top 3 requested games coming 12-20 months down the line, and with Backwards Compatibility not fully integrated on Day One ... is buying a PS5 a good idea for me?

On the other hand, what happens if I change my mind but all stores in my country will be out of stock and I'll have to wait 2-4 months to get a PS5?

The very definition of first world problems, right here.
It is not a reasonable course of action. The reasonable course of action, as it is with every new console release, is to wait two years. At that time all the launch bugs will be ironed out, there will possibly be a slim version available, there will be plenty of big titles already available, and there will be an enticing holiday bundle offered.

NewYork214

Complete shot in the dark here, but I'm assuming RE Village will release between january and april. Like re 7, 2, and 3. Dont think they specified.

I'll probably do launch because I'm dying to get the full use out of my new 4k with the bluray player and games. As well as spiderman.

Top Bottom