• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is E3 becoming pointless?

The_Lump

Banned
While E3 might be a more industry and press I do think having a open day for people to toy around with the announced items would be a great addition to the show after all the press stuff.
Maybe a end day opening free for the public to enter and try things out.

I prefer snarking on twitter about the industry being the industry and games journalists falling off their chairs during announcements.

This does happen every year afaik. The show floor is the bit all the consumers go to to play around with the newly announced games etc. Isn't it?

Elios83

E3 is a big venue to create hype around the gaming business.
It's not pointless and pre E3 announcements have always happened and guess what, they are NOT the major announcements.
You'll get those at the conferences.

Krejlooc

Banned
But to say that's all it is though? Companies go with the intention of hyping consumers as well.

You are aware that 99% of E3 isn't broadcast to consumers, right? All you see are the keynote presentations, and those aren't even at E3 technically.

duckroll

But to say that's all it is though? Companies go with the intention of hyping consumers as well. I'd even say it beats out any merit the show has as a press event. I mean companies are pulling out more and more in favor of directing focus to people like us. The writing is on the wall.

In terms of function, that is all it is. E3 is one of several trade events for the industry which take place over the course of the year. It will always have that value. It's not -just- for press, but it's for the -industry-. It's an event for people who actually work in the industry to meet up and network. Even if there is zero "hype" from consumers, the event will exist for that. See: GDC, GC, TGS, along with all the tons of smaller ones all over the world which lots of people on the internet don't even care about like the Taipei Game Show, etc.

The internet is far from the end all or even a big factor of these events. Are they a big focus for the first party press conferences? Absolutely. But that's direct marketing. They're not an actual big reason why the event itself exists.

You are aware that 99% of E3 isn't broadcast to consumers, right? All you see are the keynote presentations, and those aren't even at E3 technically.

I don't think I'm seeing your point. Everything worth a darn is shown to us.

Pulling out what? They're announcing small teasers for games and then showing gameplay videos at E3.

The show floor.

If the show was still media focused and not consumer focused, they'd see a need in keeping that space.

bfrye26

Neo Member
Looking through gaming chat today I see thread after thread of pre-E3 announcements and leaks, as if every developer is trying to rush news out to avoid their announcement being buried in the flurry of announcements that come from E3 and it makes me think, what's the point of even having E3 anymore?
If all the big announcements end up coming beforehand anyway then what's the point? You can showcase footage easily without a big event like E3 and doing it via YouTube from your studio would probably be way cheaper. Pretty much the only thing that it seems E3 can be used for is letting attendees play some early builds, but is that really worth it? Especially considering those are often nothing like the final released build.

So why do we have E3 anymore anyway? I just dont see the point now.

The big use is bringing not the trade press, but the local news and newspapers that normally view games as that odd thing their kids do. E3 makes it seem exciting and as such they get mainstream coverage.

In the age of the internet, there is honestly no reason to have a big trade-show in the nature of E3. I love the event, It is a great way to network, see games before they launch and get some articles written for out holiday buyers guide. But in all reality, we could get the same coverage at a local show where the companies do a tour of major urban centers.

Horohoro

Looking through gaming chat today I see thread after thread of pre-E3 announcements and leaks, as if every developer is trying to rush news out to avoid their announcement being buried in the flurry of announcements that come from E3 and it makes me think, what's the point of even having E3 anymore?
If all the big announcements end up coming beforehand anyway then what's the point? You can showcase footage easily without a big event like E3 and doing it via YouTube from your studio would probably be way cheaper. Pretty much the only thing that it seems E3 can be used for is letting attendees play some early builds, but is that really worth it? Especially considering those are often nothing like the final released build.

Not at all. Most of the leaks are titles without gameplay or occasionally trailers.
Also hardware reveals like Neo/Scorpio/(I wish NX) and PSVR are best demoed live on stage somehow. Thats why we watch E3 leaks have been prevalent for years now this is nothing new. Seeing how they play is whats important.

HvySky

I still get hyped for E3 every year and will probably continue to do so as long as the event is around, but I can't deny that it's importance and necessity is waning as the industry moves forward. Companies are realizing they can reach their audiences directly and save tons of money in the process.

I feel like this gets posted every year prior to E3. Companies slow trickle and release news tidbits prior to E3 because E3 is reserved for bigger announcements.

This is what E3 has been like for years. The "get hyped then disappointed because it didn't live up to the impossible hype" cycle happens every year on GAF and all over the Internet.

At some point the onus is on you to check your expectations.

MK_768

A year after FF7r, TLG, and Shenmue III reveals E3 is pointless?

Really?? lol

E3 isn't pointless. It is still awesome and definitely helps hype shit. Is it as awesome and great as it used to be? No. Is it going away? Eh. Too early to tell as companies continue t adapt to how the internet allows gamers and nongamers to absorb information(Twitter and Facebook). I'm not gonna say E3 is dying..more like it is injured lol. The conversation will be more relevant within the next 5 years I presume.

emb

Nintendo practically skipping E3 makes it feel like it for me. Nevermind the lackluster shows most years all around. The days when the tradeshow is THE way to announce a major product are gone. It's still a way though. There are still great moments here and there.

I get hyped, but it feels like I'm forcing myself to these days. The marketing machine isn't as appealing or impressive as it used to be, and I'm older and more cynical by the day.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
E3 is not an event for people who read news at home wanting to see "all the hypes" or go "OMG OMG OMG OMG" during some live conference. If that's all it is for you, then yes, it is pointless... for you. But it's not for you. It's a trade event for industry networking, for publishers, developers, and various companies to schedule events for press and partners, etc. If you think there is no reason to hold it, then you don't understand what it really is.

Exactly. I've said this time and time again and yet people try and counteract it every time.

E3 is a press and retail event--period.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Exactly. I've said this time and time again and yet people try and counteract it every time.

E3 is a press event--period.

No, it's not. E3 is a retail buyers event. The purpose of E3 is for publishers to show their upcoming products to retail distributors and business owners, so they can see what they should be spending their money on to stock their shelves. Big business deals are made behind closed doors and between major players for advertising, marketing, distribution, etc. Because of this concentration of new product, it became a thing the press covered, but they are a remora on the giant shark of the actual purpose of E3.

E3 is not pointless, because the reason it exists is as vital and functional as ever. The press stuff and surprise announcements and show floor hype are just window dressing, and always have been.

JamesLandino

Harmonix
E3 is an insider industry event now, but I still remember in my wee younger days back when G4 was my primary source for gaming updates and E3 was the shit.

I understand that things change, but I'm always a little bit bummed that I'll never get to experience the hype of E3 back in its glory days.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
No, it's not. E3 is a retail buyers event. The purpose of E3 is for publishers to show their upcoming products to retail distributors and business owners, so they can see what they should be spending their money on to stock their shelves. Big business deals are made behind closed doors and between major players for advertising, marketing, distribution, etc. Because of this concentration of new product, it became a thing the press covered, but they are a remora on the giant shark of the actual purpose of E3.

E3 is not pointless, because the reason it exists is as vital and functional as ever. The press stuff and surprise announcements and show floor hype are just window dressing, and always have been.

You're overreacting to a quick post. For some reason I was equating retail with press, which was wrong. I've edited my post. Nowhere did I say it was pointless, by the way.

This thread is like the official kickoff to E3 week thread for me every year.

Yeah, I just had deja vu. This isn't unprecedented OP.

A few scattered leaks (controlled or otherwise) can't replace presentations full of new information, trailers, and announcements.

Hasn't it always been?

Most "megaton" games announced are like 3 years away from release. The only exciting times are the year before new consoles are released. I just wish more companies did what Bethesda did for Fallout 4. Have an in-depth conference about the game's features, and then blow everyone away by announcing the game being released in a few months.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Nah, not pointless. I mean no less pointless than it ever was.

Big issue is that E3 used to be (and CES before that) the first big preview of this fall (or year in the case of Winter CES). However since the advent of game coverage occurring for a game over the years of its development cycle.. we already get that coverage and those updates.

What E3 serves as now is like it has for the last few years, including last year's "year of dreams". The big announcements. Think about had Square announced FFVII like they announced FFXII. FFXII had the internet going "yay!!!!!". FFVII melted down the internet. I honestly believe had Square and Sony announced FFXII a week later at the Sony press conference, the reaction would have been even bigger.

Is it needed? No. Does it create huge reactions for the game companies and their products? Yeah, it does.

Neff

E3 isn't just for announcements, it's also for the trade/press and the public to hang out and play games.

The announcements and trailers are important, but they're only a piece of E3's function, and it's still a huge spotlight on the day, regardless of advance leaks.

What "big announcements" can we even expect this year though? PS Neo and Xbox Scorpio aren't new news, at best we'd get a confirmation of specs and a glimpse of what they might look like. Is that really such a huge thing?
We already know the NX won't be there unless Nintendo have just been trolling everyone.

I'll be very happy to be wrong, but I certainly don't expect anything 'huge' to happen.
The obvious answer to this is, E3 is for the typical gamer, not someone who posts on GAF. Of course we find out about a lot of stuff early, but....we find out about everything early. It's GAF, sometimes even the games media reports rumors and leaks FROM HERE. Most people have very little idea of leaks before E3 actually happens, because they aren't looking for them. None of my friends will have heard of any of the announcements before E3, because they aren't on GAF. So yes, E3 has significance to its intended audience, mainly people much less aware of every single leaked bit of info.

I find it strange that people compare E3 to Christmas.

During Christmas you actually get physical presents, where as E3 it's mostly just a bunch of announcements.

Unless the comparisons are that the industry comes together the same way a family would during the holidays, then maybe I get it but I still don't see how it's Christmas for the people watching.

Another thing is that E3 happens during the week where people are either at school or work.

Petrae

Pointless? No. Retail purchasers use E3 to get a look at upcoming releases and get an idea of what to buy for their stores (especially for that all-important Q4 period). Even if/when E3 goes the way of CES, it will still have a purpose.

As for the press? As someone who's been to E3 three times, I don't know that it's still relevant. Most of E3 reporting can be done from home; press releases, screenshots, and video footage can arm anyone with more than enough ammunition to cover E3. Perhaps there's a bit that would be lost due to lack of playables or interviews with developers, but it's not enough to necessitate press presence like we see now. There is an argument that can be made for mainstream press (Network coverage, AP/Reuters/Gannett), I guess.

That said, I think the ESA has a problem as significant publishers decide to break away from E3 proper and do their own events. If EA's event makes a fair amount of cash for the publisher, I can see more companies following suit in future years. I like the idea, personally; opening to the public brings in added revenue and builds hype. (This is why we saw the ESA go into panic mode this year by doing its own near-site event for the public.)

I'd like to see more of these separate events, spread out from April to September. Why share the spotlight with a metric fuckton of other companies when you can have your own big event?

The ESA is going to have to do some serious thinking moving forward. Should E3 proper continue to be a fairly strict trade show, with meetings and business conducted... or does it go full PAX and open to the public, forcing the hands of publishers who need hype and exposure, and thus decide to have or maintain big presence there?

I'll be very curious to see what happens next year.

Mik317

Yes and no.

E3 lost a bit of its luster due to the Internet in general. It's easier to get your game out there nowadays and still get a big pop in terms of hype. That being said E3 still has a use to get new footage and impressions out on a large scale from multiple sources at the same damn time. This includes you tubers and such too. That still can't be beat

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.

It's been like that since ten years ago.

Eumi

If we didn't have E3 I wouldn't be able to laugh at all the people who get pissed about E3. So it's worth it in that sense I guess.

Rootbeer

Banned
I don't remember SO MANY E3 announcements coming out so far in advance of E3 before. Really has me wondering just what all is left for the actual conference.

Sure there will be some big stuff, but there's so much that in previous years would surely have been saved but they are just putting it on youtube and other social media instead.

Recall

E3 isn't needed.

Publishers, devs and companies having their own Twitter feeds, Facebook pages and youtubers who they use to spread the word. they have their own channels, which gives them far more freedom to pick and choose when releasing news will have the biggest impact.

Maybe E3 is an outdated cost?

Liamc723

E3 isn't needed.

Publishers, devs and companies having their own Twitter feeds, Facebook pages and youtubers who they use to spread the word. they have their own channels, which gives them far more freedom to pick and choose when releasing news will have the biggest impact.

Maybe E3 is an outdated cost?

Those channels also don't get as much attention as E3 does.

thefro

I don't remember SO MANY E3 announcements coming out so far in advance of E3 before. Really has me wondering just what all is left for the actual conference.

Sure there will be some big stuff, but there's so much that in previous years would surely have been saved but they are just putting it on youtube and other social media instead.

Monday was busy but there wasn't much yesterday. Probably won't be more than 2-3 other things today.

It mainly seems like smaller announcements that'd get overshadowed at E3 if they all got released at once. In the past you had more publishers who would announce stuff early.

As much as fans of gaming care about the conference, it is still an industry trade conference. So only the industry can determine if it is still meaningful.

The E3 is always one of those events where leaks are always happening but with the added 2-3 surprises once it starts.

E3 is here to stay and I like it.

Takiyah

Networking and chatting with industry friends and lot's of business meetings is E3 to many people - and probably the most effective event in to do all those things still.

Top Bottom