• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

is gamecube the worst system this generation? yes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
dudes i was just thinking about this tonight. i have turned my gamecube on a total of 5-10 times in 2004. the sad part is, probably half of those times were to play smash bros melee with amigos. i try to get excited for games like metroid prime 2, or the new zelda or the new mario or whatever, but nothing is very compelling to me.

i think it's because lack of online play. 90% of all my games on ps2/xbox are online capable, and most of them are a blast to play. i would even go so far as to say that dreamcast was a better system than gamecube. seems like there is no hype and no real substance to the gamecube. i'm kinda looking forward to paper mario 2 and metroid prime 2, but other than those 2 games i can't think of one game i would even begin to think about possibly purchasing.

i'm not trying to start a flamewar or talk shit on nintendo, but holy shit its a shitty situation for them and i'd like to see nintendo in the thick of the race. competition is good for everyone, but it seems nintendo is offsetting their crappy GC sales by selling straight ports of nintendo games for $20. i'm not down with this, but i guess if people will pay the price then why not?

my question is, do any of you that own multiple systems (or all 3 like me) even play your gamecube much anymore? and if you do play it, do you play it more than ps2 or xbox? are your ps2/xbox online-ready?

GDGF

Soothsayer
It's an idot attack! Run for cover!

(seriously, do you guys synchronize your watches or something? Meetings at TXB forums?)

If you had a different topic title this would be a semi-decent post. But really, you're just asking to be shot with that topic.

To answer you last question. I play my GBA SP far more than my GC, and I play that far more than my PS2. :\

The GC is the only console getting any play from me right now, which is mostly due to the GBPlayer. I do all of my online gaming on the pc, minus sports. The PS2 has been collecting dust since I stopped playing ESPN Football, and the only other online console title I'd be interested in is SF3: 3rd Strike. Besides the GBPlayer I really enjoyed Zelda, RE Remake, RE0, Mario Sunshine, Pikman, Metroid etc. I dig the cube.

ShyGuy

FrenchMovieTheme said:
my question is, do any of you that own multiple systems (or all 3 like me) even play your gamecube much anymore? and if you do play it, do you play it more than ps2 or xbox? are your ps2/xbox online-ready?

I own all three, and maybe it's because I'm a Nintendo fanboy, but I play the GameCube the most, then Xbox, and then PS2.

In fact, the PS2 only gets switched on when there's a Jak game, and Jak 3 is taking too long so the dust is getting pretty thick on my PS2.

I play A LOT of Xbox Live, well I did before I lost ADSL and had to go back to broadband, so the Xbox and GC are the most used by me.

But when GameCube has games like Metroid Prime, Zelda WW, Zelda Four Swords, VJ, Donkey Kong Jungle Beat (I LOVED this at E3), Metroid Prime 2, Mario, etc...etc....then I'll be happy.

So, there you go, some serious answers to your serious questions.

To answer you last question. I play my GBA SP far more than my GC, and I play that far more than my PS2. :\

is your PS2 online?

and i didn't say anything bad about GBA. i would get one if i were on the go more often

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
er, let's just say my trusty nintendo s-video cable spends a lot more time hooked up to the snes.

The Gamecube is the best built system of this generation.

If you dropped all three off the roof of your house, probably only the Gamecube would still be playable.

Somebody link to the clip of them dudes dragging one behind a car.

AniHawk

FrenchMovieTheme said:

1. I have all five systems from this gen, and currently, the DC gets the least amount of playtime. Other than DC and GBA, the Xbox is my least played system (don't get me wrong, there are some excellent, excellent games in Halo and Knights of the Old Republic, and I've only had the thing for three months). I play my PS2 and GC alternatively though. Usually when there's a drought of GC games, I turn to the PS2. When I don't have any more PS2 games, I turn to my GC (like last year: I had BG&E, PoP, R&C2, Jak II, and FFX-2 for my PS2 I played until January, and then I went into some GBA gaming until February when FFCC came out, and I've played that, Harvest Moon, MGSTTS, and now, Four Swords [with the said Xbox titles in between]).

2. My PS2 is not OL ready (don't have the adapter). My Xbox is though. I have a 2 month free pass for XBL, but I'll use that at the end of September (when it runs out), so at least I'll get to enjoy being murdered over and over again in Halo 2 for a bit.

i agree with that. i can carry my gamecube upside down, put it on carpet to play, pretty much beat it up and it always works. my first ps2 crapped out on me and i was always careful with it. my second ps2 wouldn't read discs so i had to take it apart and adjust the lens, but now its giving me problems again. time will tell if i even spring for a 3rd ps2...

Bebpo

Banned
I'll agree that my GC gets the least play of the 3 systems. But that doesn't make it the worst system this generation. GC gets like 5-10 AAA+ games a year and I turn my GC on each time those come out and enjoy them greatly.

For me, PS2 eats up most of my time though I never use it online. The majority of the time is just due to the insane amount of Japanese rpgs on it so far in the US & Japan. Heck I just killed 20 hours this weekend on FM4 and even when I finish that I still have three 50+ hour rpgs left in my backlog. So because of rpgs my PS2 is turned on pretty much once a day for 1-10 hours the entire year :)

If I take out the online Xbox games like RSC2, I probably put less hours into the system than my GC. Xbox is similar to the GC IMO as it gets about 5-10 AAA+ offline games a year. The only difference is that it gets some good online games which have excellent replay value and give the system more usage.

Just my $.02

Grubdog

Banned
Heh, I haven't touched my PS2 since last year, except to play an occasional race of Burnout 2. I've been playing GCN pretty much every day since I got it with Wave Race: Blue Storm and Super Monkey Ball two years ago. GameCube is definately my favourite console this gen, I can even play my GBA games on it. Actually it's more than my favourite console this gen, it's my favourite console of all time. I absolutely love Viewtiful Joe, Metroid Prime, Wind Waker, SSBM, 1080 Avalanche (screw the haters, it rocks!), and the list goes on. I love my PS2 for GTA3, MGS2, GT3 and Jak & Daxter etc., but i've gotten heaps more enjoyment out of my GameCube.

FrenchMovieTheme said:
is your PS2 online?

and i didn't say anything bad about GBA. i would get one if i were on the go more often

No it's not, only because there are no PS2 titles I want to play online, except FFXI. But I own that for the PC.

Redbeard

Banned
1.jpg

Bobety

I have a gamecube and a ps2, 20 games for gc, 60 for ps2, and i still play my gc every day, ps2 more like once every 2 weeks or so.... i've played and finished almost all of my gc games, played about 20 of my ps2 games, mostly only for about half an hour. So yeah i honestly like my gc a lot more than my ps2, the games i have on it are just so much more fun.

its been a while that we've had such flamebaity threads on the GAFforums. I don't believe that you're a multiconsole owner.

5-10 times in 2004? You are teh kidding. Why does Nintendo's situation got to do with how much games you're playing? There are plenty of games on the cube worth playing. If you want online play. Get a PC.

Mairu

Not for me! I've probably played my GC the most this year. FFCC got a lot of playtime out of me and Four Swords Adventures is already getting a lot of hours from me and my friends as well. Lately all I do with my non-modded xbox is use live for voice chat with friends, but my modded box gets a lot of use for unofficial things ;) but I have played other games this year (RS3, Links 2004 and Ninja Gaiden mostly). My PS2 doesn't get as much use as my GC either, though I did put a lot of playtime into Katamari Damashii and Onimusha 3.

Trevelyon

Sadly, yes. A lot of qaulity software to be sure, but it just alway seemed far & few between and this year has been no different. Though.. that being said, I can't wait for Resident Evil 4, Baten Kaitos, Tales of Symphonia, Paper Mario 2, Metroid Prime 2 and the new Zelda.

its been a while that we've had such flamebaity threads on the GAFforums. I don't believe that you're a multiconsole owner.

lol, pretty hard to compete in PS2 madden tournaments and rallisport 2 xbox leagues if i didn't own MULTIPLE consoles, but thats besides the point. my point isn't to prove whether i own all 3 consoles, but if you want me to prove ive played about a billion hours in SSBM sinces its release or monkey ball 2 or something i can read you a page out of the instruction books right now. but whats the point? you looking dumb? thats not my motive. infact, my motive for starting this thread is that someone would shine a beacon of light on my personal gamecube situation and possibly suggest a reason to play it

5-10 times in 2004? You are teh kidding. Why does Nintendo's situation got to do with how much games you're playing? There are plenty of games on the cube worth playing. If you want online play. Get a PC.

i swear to you i am infact not kidding. name some games on gamecube that are worth playing. i have SSBM, monkey ball 1 & 2, mario kart and resident evil 0/1. i got to the last boss in MP and near the end in wind waker, but never finished either because i got kinda bored. nothing is happening in 2004. SSBM can only carry the system for so long. imagine if SSBM and mk double dash had online editions out with a big userbase...

also i have a pc and i dont play games on it because my pc sucks balls. plus, why would i play games on pc when xbl and ps2 have a great online lineup?

listen fellas dont be mad, seems like a lot of people agree with me.

ive had more than a few GC games, including VJ, but nothing great has come up.

I think the Gamecube has loads of worthwhile games outside of the 'big' releases each year. All of these are worth checking out. For me, all the systems have more games than I could ever play, and I spend pretty much even time with all my systems (PC, GBA SP, PS2, XBX, GCN). I think that if you're not playing a system, you're not open minded enough about the games.

1080 Avalanche
Animal Crossing
Beach Spikers
Billy Hatcher and the Giant Egg
Bomberman Generations
Def Jam Vendetta
Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem
Harvest Moon: A Wonderful Life
Luigi's Mansion
Pac-Man Vs.
Phantasy Star Online Episode III: C.A.R.D. Revolution
Skies of Arcadia Legends
Smuggler's Run: Warzones
Wario World

Any of those would make an awesome rental or bargain bin purchase.

ourumov

My GC is also collecting dust but that would also happen with an XBOX which IMO has a worse lineup...
Saying that XBOX and GC are the worst systems of this gen is not saying much...
For me it's all about PS2 and DC those days.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
for me, the GC has had the most play out of any of my systems, including xbox, ps2, dc, and gba - i guess for a huge range of software it's not great.. but when one of the 'big' titles come out for gc, i'm always there to pick it up, and with only a few exceptions have enjoyed them all thoroughly. i can't say the same for xbox and ps2.. not that they have worse software, just less stuff comes up on those that i'm interested in. it's all a bit subjective :p but i wouldn't put it as the worst this gen (well, for me anyway)

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
In terms of play time, I'd guess for me PS2 = GBA > GC > XBox. That's just my personal taste in games, though - at least one of my housemates is XBox > GC > PS2 at the moment with the same games and systems (though that's changing the minute GT4 comes out...)

Prine

Banned
For me, no, that would go to GBA.

As for GC its becoming increasingly difficult to find good games on the system. I only purchase around 4-5 games a year for it (only 3 this year). Plus i hate the controller.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Last game i played on GC was probably wind waker so yeah id agree its the worst this gen, though thats obviously down to my personal tastes in games. I'll probably take it out the closet again if Fire Emblem GBA turns out to be good, if not then it'll stay there untill the next zelda.

GBA would be third cause although its got some great games (AW & FE especially) they cost too much and keep my attention for a week or so then i never play them again (i dont think i know anyone else with a GBA so no multiplayer for me), it'd be 1st or 2nd if only there'd been less shovelware and more sensible soccer, also more top down racers 'cause GBA 3d really really blows.

PS2 and Xbox joint 1st, theres so many titles i want to play on PS2 that came out ages ago that i can walk into the rental store and pick up something i havent played every time (wish they had ZOE2 though, assholes), and Xbox houses most of the games i want that are coming out now and in the (hopefully) near future, plus it allows me to woop collective GAF ass at Links (gotta keep milking it, im probably only champ for another 4 weeks).

not for me no.

Gamecube + PC is all i need. There are quite a few ps2 games I would like though, but xbox has one maybe 2 games I'd like

kamikaze

um, no....though i guess i no longer qualify as multi-console owner as i got rid of my xbox and my ps2 crapped out (haven't replaced it). i'm fine with just the cube (and gb player) because i only have so much gaming time (no way i could find the time to play all the good games for all 3 consoles). it sounds like you're a sports/action gamer, in which case, the cube isn't gonna cut it...but my taste in games has changed so the cube works just fine for me.

Solid

I have all three consoles and GC is the one I have played least on. But the system do have two of the best games this gen imo; Eternal Darkness and Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes. I'd rate my Xbox higher then the Cube since it match my taste better. Although I like my PS2 the most. It has everything I need, except some things that I buy for the Xbox :p

king zell

I don't see why you have to write a thread about this

I don't like Xbox because the games don't appeal to me.. I think the Xbox is the worst system.. I have way more games on my GC than PS2.. I never wrote a thread about it

Tritroid

king zell said:
I don't see why you have to write a thread about this

I don't like Xbox because the games don't appeal to me.. I think the Xbox is the worst system.. I have way more games on my GC than PS2.. I never wrote a thread about it
IAWTP

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
As far as main consoles are concerned, the GC is the worst of the bunch...

However, I think that term is a bit strong. The system is still quite good and features plenty of great games, but it just happens to offer the LEAST number of games. I have only 14 games for GC, and there really aren't any additional titles that I'd even consider for a bargin price. There just isn't anything left. On XBOX, there are a number of titles that I'd add to my 29 title library. Heck, on PS2, I have over 80 titles and there are still a bunch of titles I would really like to play sometime soon.

I have more DC titles than I do XBOX and GC as well.

I've had a great time with the GC, but it just doesn't offer me as much entertainment as the other three major systems do.

Of course, this thread seems rather worthless when you get right down to it. Everybody has different opinions (and this thread IS purely opinion) so the number of games owned per system will vary.

Tritroid

MightyHedgehog said:
It's not like it's the only thread to view on the board...it's someone's opinion.
There are opinions worth discussing, and then there are opinions that do nothing more than create Trollfest '04.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom