• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Gravity the most overrated movie of the past decade?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Nope, that's either Avatar or the David Yates directed Harry Potter movies.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
There was no rest of the movie: the special effects and the feel of being in space was the movie.

Acting.
Story.
Pacing.

Nope, youre right the whole movie is special effects.

Someone actually said Jurrasic Park...The movie that brought dinosaurs to life andstill holds up today. Yeah I've seen the still frames of the terrible brachiosaurus skin texture I could really give a shit. The t-rex and raptor scenes are still the best ever, but I guess I fell into someone's trap so whatever.

Nope, Speed Racer is. And I loved Cloud Atlas.

Haha, HAHAHAHAHAHAAHAH.

You are very aware that it is received pretty bad right? And that the only place where I've ever seen positive impressions are a small vocal minority here on GAF. And I say that as someone who enjoys the movie.

params7

Banned
Gravity was overhyped/overrated. I posted on Gaf after coming back from the theater that the reviews for it resembled that of Avatar's. There's something about movies with good visual aspects but with a storyline fully predictable and cliche'd that gets the masses thinking its the greatest film ever produced. I don't get it. Gravity was one of the most blandest space movies I've ever seen.

Blades64

Banned
I agree Gravity was overrated. It seems like the movie just went from one thing going bad to the next just for cheap thrills.

Murphy's Law: The Movie.

ZeroGravity

Gravity's a decent movie, but there are plenty more overrated out there.

The Dark Knight definitely takes the title in my eyes. Not only for the movie itself, but also because of the negative ripple effect it's had on other superhero franchises that have tried to emulate its success and failed spectacularly (Amazing Spider-Man, Man of Steel).

Timeless

"Is a movie released within the last 8 months the most overrated movie of all time?"

If you're posting in this thread and just writing a movie with no / very poor explanation why, you're basically trolling.

So here's a more serious answer.

No, Gravity is not the most overrated of all time. It probably won't be remembered very much in 40 years.

City Lights - IMDB #34, TSPDT (Meta list) #29, AFI #11, BFI Critics #50, BFI Directors #30 (tied)

City Lights is a good movie. But it's not the best silent movie, or the best Chaplin movie. It doesn't include the most romantic scene ever, as some critics say. I found it to be pretty boring. Silent movies like The Kid, The Gold Rush (1925), and Metropolis all held my interest much more.

Yet it probably isn't the most overrated movie of all time. I don't know what that movie would be, but it can't be just a movie that a few message board people wish others would shut up about.

Goddard

First 3 posts are wrong.

In my opinion obviously. All 3 were great movies.

Shawshank is brilliant. No issues with it in my eyes.

TDK is an awesome superhero flick. Some dumb scenes but overall it was impressive and fun.

Gravity was a great experience. Some cliches here and there but it didn't detract from the film.

Your profile picture being the most overrated video game of all time makes this ironic.

image.php

Trey

Acting.
Story.
Pacing.

Nope, youre right the whole movie is special effects.

Act like you're in space and look good. Check.

Tell a story about being in space and look good. Check.

Make space look good. Check.

I don't see the problem.

Helmholtz

As a technical achievement it's pretty cool.
As a movie it left a lot to be desired. Even by action blockbuster movie standards the story/characters were extremely undercooked and sparse.
It was basically Explosions: The Movie which just happened to take place in space, featuring a couple characters whose well being didn't matter to me at all.
Gravity's a decent movie, but there are plenty more overrated out there.
The Dark Knight definitely takes the title in my eyes. Not only for the movie itself, but also because of the negative ripple effect it's had on other superhero franchises that have tried to emulate its success and failed spectacularly (Amazing Spider-Man, Man of Steel).
Dark Knight is indeed pretty overrated. Anything outside of the Joker's scenes were pretty middling, and the two face stuff is a slog. But that's probably a conversation for another thread.

Ahasverus

lol at you saying the Dark Knight. I'm sure you went nuts over it when it came out, it's an an excellent movie despite what internet hipsters say.

dorkimoe

Gold Member
no, but it was last year

there are TONS of overrated movies, but just because I didnt enjoy it doesnt mean its overrated i guess.

Big lebowski and anchorman for example..stupid movies..but they have a huge cult following of annoying

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Haha, HAHAHAHAHAHAAHAH.

You are very aware that it is received pretty bad right? And that the only place where I've ever seen positive impressions are a small vocal minority here on GAF. And I say that as someone who enjoys the movie.

Are we not in gaf country right this moment?

Cloudy

Banned
I agree. The movie has zero depth in plot or characterization. I can understand it winning awards for cinematography but that's it.

I watched an episode of Knights of Sidonia (an anime) which had maybe 15 minutes of 2 people lost in space and it had more character development and gravitas than Gravity.

KingK

I find it funny how people defending Gravity are saying it's all about the effects and dismissing the shallow as a puddle plot and 2d character while at the same time shitting on Avatar for being nothing but special effects.

I mean I liked Gravity more than Avatar but they're both essentially glorified tech demos. The difference being that Gravity hardly even attempts to include a plot. I wear glasses so I can't watch movies in 3D because it's uncomfortable as shit so I ended up renting gravity. The effects are indeed great, but what good are effects without some context to make you care about them? I was actually happy when it was over because after marveling at the visuals for the first ten minutes, it was a pretty boring movie. I didn't hate it, but I have no desire to ever watch it again and was pretty shocked at how mediocre it was after all the universal hype.

All of that said, Frozen is actually the most overrated movie I've seen in years. But Gravity is up there.

I liked Gravity but I felt like they could have cut out a lot to make it into more of a short film (but wheres the money in that). I think if they did that, it would have gotten more praise from the people who are into what is on the screen as there is action all the time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom