• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Gravity the most overrated movie of the past decade?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Partition

Banned
I really cannot understand the universal praise this movie gets. It was practically just a nice looking tech demo and nothing more. Acting isn't anything special, "plot" was full of cliches, and the dialogue was cheesy at times. The ending left plenty to be desired.

I don't understand why a movie so devoid of substance has a 97% on RottenTomatoes.
Don't get me wrong, I think it is a really well made flick. But I wouldn't ever have a desire to watch it again - because seeing it on anything other than a theatre screen would be useless; as the visual aspect is all the movie has going for it.

Enco

First 3 posts are wrong.

In my opinion obviously. All 3 were great movies.

Shawshank is brilliant. No issues with it in my eyes.

TDK is an awesome superhero flick. Some dumb scenes but overall it was impressive and fun.

Gravity was a great experience. Some cliches here and there but it didn't detract from the film.

For me it was more an experience than a movie. I didn't really care about the plot or characters or whatever - I was just completely immersed in the jaw-dropping effects and spectacle on screen. If that didn't do it for you then I'd imagine you would be disappointed

Valtýr

Yup. It's the most overrated movie of all time until the next movie a lot of people like that someone doesn't.

Monocle

No, what bullshit. It's easily one of the best movies of the last decade. Easily.

Also...

57h9spi.jpg

sarcastor

just off the top of my head, movies i find waaaaay more overrated then Gravity.

forrest gump
anything Nolan except Memento
titanic
little miss sunshine

Might as well argue that bacon is overrated. or dim sum. or tapas. or ramen. or sushi.

Cipherr

little miss sunshine

I have no idea what the... entire planet was smoking before they watched this movie. It was mediocre as hell. Its not bad by any stretch, but the praise it got shocked me when the credits rolled. I couldnt believe it so 'meh'.

Partition

Banned
Avatar got a 97 on rottentomatoes?

Avatar isn't a good example as it gets shit from all over regarding the plot.

Gravity is universally praised in terms of critics, the academy, and audience alike. I really don't think there is another film as empty and praised as it is.

Monocle

Avatar isn't a good example as it gets shit from all over regarding the plot.

Gravity is universally praised in terms of critics, the academy, and audience alike. I really don't think there is another film as empty and praised as it is.
It's only empty if you're foolishly looking for a complex plot.

Anastasia

I thought it was excellent visually, but that Sandra Bullock's performance left a lot to be desired. And George Clooney was nonexistent; which I suppose was the point, but I felt the connection between him and Sandra Bullock's character could have been stronger.
I felt like George Clooney was cut out of the movie too abruptly, and as a result I didn't feel much for him floating off into space.
The ending seemed to be weak in execution; I could see the idea they were going for but it felt too vague to make much of an impact on me.

Well Avatar is about a 2 star scripted movie that got 5 stars based solely on its presentation so I'd go with that personally.

Gravity is fun but I felt a bit hard done by with the lack of clooney, so I'd give that 3/4 stars. Slightly overated, but it is a good film.

I see Dark Knight in this thread, and I kinda feel the same way as with gravity - not quite as good as billed (it's super flabby in the middle), but still a fun film

White Man

Well Avatar is about a 2 star scripted movie that got 5 stars based solely on its presentation so I'd go with that personally.

Yeah, actually, I think I'd go with Avatar over Gump. It's definitely not Gravity--Gravity was at least a good movie, even if left something to be desired.

- J - D -

I keep thinking a minority contingent expected a lot more of Gravity coming from Alfonso Cuaron.

If it were directed by Jan De Bont we could've avoided this backlash entirely.

WJD

It's loved for its technical brilliance more than it's narrative or characters so in that way no, I don't think it's overrated.

White Man

12 years a slave.

Not specifically picking on 12 Years a Slave, but yes, a lot of these prestige pics handmade for awards really aren't entertaining movies. They're built with a specific purpose, just like summer blockbusters, their equivalent.

Partition

Banned
This is why artist and animators in the industry don't get respect. They are not CGI technicians, they are CGI artists.

Eh, I see that applying more to movies where CGI is used for fantasy elements. Gravity is trying to be as realistic as possible. Of course it is still artistic, but in the same capacity as a modern FPS.

The 'art' comes more from the directorial aspect, and framing of the shots.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
I didn't like Gravity either. They should have called it "shit happens in space over and over again, until Sandy comes home."

Branduil

I don't have a problem with a simple plot. But for a movie that has been put on a pedestal of this caliber, I expect more than something I can sum up in two sentences.

Citizen Kane: A man dies while whispering the name of his childhood sled, which indicates that despite all of his grand accomplishments in life, he was still empty inside, and yearning for the simpler pleasures he remembered in his early years.

fertygo

Gravity is great, the director want to make the visual telling as much thing as possible.

You may don't like it, but you can see the director follow his vision making something there not many like it at market, and there's undeniable amount of craft in it, I don't get why there's need to simply dismiss all of that with such a pathetic label like "overrated"

Alphahawk

Gravity is not a great movie in terms of plot or character development, but it's great in the sense of building an atmosphere surround a horrible hypothetical situation. I also think the film probably loses something in it's conversion to home video. Watching the movie on a big screen with 3D is the way to experience it. Seeing it was akin to going on a great thrill ride at an amusement park. I know people who've confessed to having trouble gaining their balance after seeing the theater experience for the first time.

Monocle

I don't have a problem with a simple plot. But for a movie that has been put on a pedestal of this caliber, I expect more than something I can sum up in two sentences.
Gravity is seriously like a Rorschach test for discerning viewers. Most of the content is in symbolism and analogy and visual language. Basically the movie is a metaphor about reconciling with death by embracing life through connections with others. It operates on micro and macro levels at the same time, with the journey of Sandra Bullock's character as a microcosm for humanity. (This verges on pretentious when I read it back, but I don't know how to describe it differently.)

Random17

The Dark Knight Rises, in my opinion. 88% RT for that film? Aghhh...

I quite liked the Dark Knight, Frozen and Gravity...

hamchan

Because a plot isn't everything there is to a movie. The movie was clearly aiming for the visual and aural aspects, and that's what it pulled off near perfectly.

That's why it won all technical awards and best director.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom