• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Gravity the most overrated movie of the past decade?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gravity is seriously like a Rorschach test for discerning viewers. Most of the content is in symbolism and analogy and visual language. Basically the movie is a metaphor about reconciling with death by embracing life through connections with others. It operates on micro and macro levels at the same time, with the journey of Sandra Bullock's character as a microcosm for humanity. (This verges on pretentious when I read it back, but I don't know how to describe it differently.)

Yeah, you should like... do an essay with lots of screengrabs to illustrate your points. Cause otherwise this just sounds like a modern art critic talking about a painting that looks like this

BBJEyGd.jpg

Partition

Banned
Because a plot isn't everything there is to a movie. The movie was clearly aiming for the visual and aural aspects, and that's what it pulled off near perfectly.

That's why it won all technical awards and best director.

But plot is just as important. Just because it had such amazing visuals doesn't mean the plot and characters had to suffer. I mean, Moon for example showed that doesn't have to be the case.

Monocle

Yeah, you should like... do an essay with lots of screengrabs to illustrate your points. Cause otherwise this just sounds like a modern art critic talking about a painting that looks like this
It's not like the symbolism is all that subtle. The movie practically frames and gift wraps the main points for you. The womb scene, the conversation with the fisherman, the evolution scene. I mean come on.

Alphahawk

But plot is just as important. Just because it had such amazing visuals doesn't mean the plot and characters had to suffer. I mean, Moon for example showed that doesn't have to be the case.

It's a movie about a woman floating in space, you can't really make Shakespeare out of that

MormaPope

Banned
No. The Dark Knight and Terminator 2 hold the title comfortably.

paulie-walnuts-300x258.jpg

If there had to be a book written on how to do a movie sequel, Terminator 2 would be the prime example.

- Hero is now the villain (literally, Arnold is now the hero when he was the villain before)
- Protagonist from the last movie is deemed insane, mainly because no one would believe the shit she believes and has seen
- Son of protagonist is juvenile and a rebel, makes sense due to his upbringing
- Villain and the villain's abilities are amped up, awesome progression in abilities and mentality
- Terminator was a period piece on the 80's, Terminator 2 is a period piece on the 90's
- Hero doesn't kill after a certain point, making him a hero instead of a hero that kills everything
- Fucking awesome firefights and fight scenes in general between main cast and villain
- Female character that doesn't follow adhere to typical female tropes

MadmanUK

Gravity only really worked in theatres as without the spectacular visuals and amazing use of 3D watching it at home it doesn't have enough going for it narratively.

Timbuktu

Not specifically picking on 12 Years a Slave, but yes, a lot of these prestige pics handmade for awards really aren't entertaining movies. They're built with a specific purpose, just like summer blockbusters, their equivalent.

I don't really get this sentiment. We hardly get adult dramas that aren't sequels and have a decent budget anymore, the awards are probably the only mechanism that get studios to make this kind of film. So I think it works both ways, as much as these films are marketed to win awards, there aren't any other space on the calender for them to exist.

Having said that, it must take some balls to put 'one of the best films of all time' in massive font on your posters.

First thing I think of whenever I see GAF overrated threads, which is pretty often. Its just people with different tastes, who like different things. That doesn't make something overrated - it just means you don't see the appeal in something a lot of other people do. Its not some mysterious phenomenon or a wrong that needs to be righted.

I guess I don't get it.

Loved Gravity though :)

Monocle

First thing I think of whenever I see GAF overrated threads, which is pretty often. Its just people with different tastes, who like different things. That doesn't make something overrated - it just means you don't see the appeal in something a lot of other people do. Its not some mysterious phenomenon or a wrong that needs to be righted.

I guess I don't get it.

Pretty much.

El-Suave

Gravity had great visuals and the 3D is superb on my projector setup at home. But other than that it was really overhyped. Watched it twice with family members and sold my steelbook edition immediately as long as it still brought in a decent amount of money. I was pretty disappointed overall.

Eh, I see that applying more to movies where CGI is used for fantasy elements. Gravity is trying to be as realistic as possible. Of course it is still artistic, but in the same capacity as a modern FPS.

The 'art' comes more from the directorial aspect, and framing of the shots.

Well judging modern FPS, I hope you mean it as praise. It does take more effort to trick someone into believing something looks normal or natural than to make it look pretty.

qindarka

Banned

I guess I don't get it.

Yeah, these threads serve no purpose really. Most posters aren't even bothering to elaborate on their choices for most overrated, it just becomes sort of a silly contest.

fertygo

I guess I don't get it.

Yup. I tried to avoid use the term if arguing about something, because its very rude way to dismiss others opinion and the work of people involved, I can very vocal to something that I dislike and wasting my time arguing but I dislike using this overrated thing.

I guess I don't get it.

Exactly, thread is full of "No, this is overrated" "No, that is overrated", everyone disagrees with each other, and nobody's opinion has changed.

Gravity only really worked in theatres as without the spectacular visuals and amazing use of 3D watching it at home it doesn't have enough going for it narratively.

This. I had to watch Apollo 13 after. Better script. Better plot. Much better movie.

Superflat

Exactly, thread is full of "No, this is overrated" "No, that is overrated", everyone disagrees with each other, and nobody's opinion has changed.

Yeah, these threads serve no purpose really. Most posters aren't even bothering to elaborate on their choices for most overrated, it just becomes sort of a silly contest.

Pretty much. Still gonna participate tho!

For me it's Avatar. Saw it once in theaters and thought it was just okay. Then I tried watching it on blu ray and I couldn't even sit through the whole movie. Just skipped around to the flashy parts and called it a day. Disappointed.

MormaPope

Banned

Okay, I'm guilty of this and I call other people out on this behavior in other threads, so here it goes.

Shawshank is a well shot, poignant movie but its lacking it what I would want in a prison drama. Prison is a harsh place, American prison is even harsher. Shawshank felt like a drab fairy tale, things felt too clear cut or one note. It felt too easy to understand character motivations and why they tick, there was no extensive thought process required by the viewer to empathize with the characters. The pacing is good, nothing drags on for too long, but I felt tragedy was simplified and not heavy enough.

Good movie, not great.

Gravity isn't even close, I'd say. A quick browse of the IMDB top 250...Shawshank, Dark Knight & Return of the King amongst the top 10 films of all time. Hah. Fellowship, Two Towers, Inception & The Matrix in the top 20 of all time. Lol. Gravity currently sits at 211.

Partition

Banned
Gravity isn't even close, I'd say. A quick browse of the IMDB top 250...Shawshank, Dark Knight & Return of the King amongst the top 10 films of all time. Hah. Fellowship, Two Towers, Inception & The Matrix in the top 20 of all time. Lol. Gravity currently sits at 211.

Isn't IMDB only userscore? I don't really consider that a good measure tbh, considering a lot of it is what movie has the most "fans" (which is why two Nolan movies are there)

Empty

it's maybe the most recently. awful cheesy imagery/symbolism, cringey dialogue, clooney's character rings completely false, soundtrack telling you what to feel at all times, by the tenth seventh last ditch escape i didn't really care.

the thing is that it's not a bad film - bullock is great, there's some mesmerizing special effects, it's good that it tells a simple grounded story. it's just a stupid mainstream focused special effects theme park ride presented by people as some great art elevating the visual language of cinema, a masterpiece of cinematic tension. normally i don't let other people's opinions bother me, but i really think i'd have enjoyed this a lot more if i had my expectations calibrated right instead of buying into that hype and wondering what the hell people were talking about while watching it.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!

This post has now sealed my opinion. The Lord of the Rings is the most overrated film franchise of all time.

Peru

No, it showed how tense and exciting a pure action movie can be when it dares to strip away layers, needless plot, cliches and filler. Add masterful cinematography, sound design and special effects innovatio for the sake of storytelling and immersion not deafening spectacle and you have a genuine milestone in action movie history.

All I heard about the movie was "Sandra Bullock, Sandra Bullock, Sandra Bullock" and just random scenes of her flying through space. It might as well literally be her tossed about in space. Actors play characters. Of course I haven't seen it, but that's the impression I get.

Yasae

Banned
Gravity is seriously like a Rorschach test for discerning viewers. Most of the content is in symbolism and analogy and visual language. Basically the movie is a metaphor about reconciling with death by embracing life through connections with others. It operates on micro and macro levels at the same time, with the journey of Sandra Bullock's character as a microcosm for humanity. (This verges on pretentious when I read it back, but I don't know how to describe it differently.)
Yeah, but so what? Still a disaster movie in space.

I just was about to write that, less eloquently but yeah. Movie is great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom