• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is it better to return or refuse shipment on Amazon order?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aesius

I bought some parts to build a secondary PC in my bedroom, but I found out that I could get a free computer from work, but it was too late to cancel the order from Amazon.

I was able to cancel the case, and in the email, it said I could either return all the packages/parts once they ship or refuse delivery.

Has anyone ever refused delivery for an Amazon order before? I had free shipping with the order...would they charge me shipping for telling the delivery guy to send it back?

It seems like an easier process than accepting the delivery, printing a return label, and mailing it back, but I want to be sure here before I try this tomorrow.

Isn't refusing a shipment borderline illegal? I would check and see what your sellers return policy is, generally they are pretty reasonable.

NJDEN

Just ask him to send it back, if that doesn't work then print the return labels.

Just make sure if he does send it back you will get your money back.

Recon

Banned
I bought some parts to build a secondary PC in my bedroom, but I found out that I could get a free computer from work, but it was too late to cancel the order from Amazon.

I was able to cancel the case, and in the email, it said I could either return all the packages/parts once they ship or refuse delivery.

Has anyone ever refused delivery for an Amazon order before? I had free shipping with the order...would they charge me shipping for telling the delivery guy to send it back?

It seems like an easier process than accepting the delivery, printing a return label, and mailing it back, but I want to be sure here before I try this tomorrow.

If it was from amazon and not a third party seller on amazon, refusing shipment works just fine. I've done it a few times and I always get refunded.

Cels

they might charge you shipping cause the reason for the return is not their fault, but either should work fine

Aeana

They don't charge shipping when you do a return, so I can't imagine why they would charge shipping for refusing a shipment.

epmode

They don't charge shipping when you do a return, so I can't imagine why they would charge shipping for refusing a shipment.

They do charge for return shipping but only for certain reasons. If it's your mistake, you'll probably have to pay.

if it`s UPS and you are never home, they will hold it at a facility for x amount of days then it gets returned to Amazon and get refunded

Aeana

I'm pretty sure they do, unless something is wrong with the package.

Provided I initiated a return within the return window, I've never been charged and received a full refund. I know they technically have some policies about condition and stuff, but if you never even opened it, this will never come up (in the case of the OP).

Somnid

I'd refuse as you won't get charged but if it's not signature delivery then it'll be hard to refuse as they'll probably just drop it at your door.

Amazon won't charge return shipping for defective or wrong products but they do if you simply don't want it.

Aeana

Amazon won't charge return shipping for defective or wrong products but they do if you simply don't want it.
That's definitely not true for all cases, since I returned a Kindle (within the return window) I bought because I decided I wouldn't use it enough and got a full refund and didn't have to pay shipping.

Somnid

That's definitely not true for all cases, since I returned a Kindle (within the return window) I bought because I decided I wouldn't use it enough and got a full refund and didn't have to pay shipping.

Kindles have 30 day satisfaction guarantees, other products do not.

LQX

It is perfectly safe to refuse a package from Amazon. I have refused packages a few times and it got back to amazon within a few days and soon after I received a emailing saying item was unable to be delivered, and I will be credited.

Same for Newegg and in fact when I called to ask what could be done about a package too late to cancel I was advised me to refuse it so I would not get a restocking fee.

knitoe

Someone was nice to you or was a mistake by waving the shipping return cost. I have bought hundreds of items from Amazon, usually at least 10 items per month. Amazon won't charge returns for defective or wrong item, but they always charge me for ordering the wrong item and/or not wanting the item anymore after receiving the package. I have been charged for returning an item the next day.

To OP, refuse the package if you don't want shipping charge for return. That's what customer service will tell you if you no longer want the product after it's shipped.

Edit: Regarding Kindle free return cost, see response from above.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Someone was nice to you or was a mistake by waving the shipping return cost. I have bought hundreds of items from Amazon, usually at least 10 items per month. Amazon won't charge returns for defective or wrong item, but they always charge me for ordering the wrong item and/or not wanting the item anymore after receiving the package. I have been charged for returning an item the next day.

To OP, refuse the package if you don't want shipping charge for return. That's what customer service will tell you if you no longer want the product after it's shipped.

Edit: Regarding Kindle free return cost, see response from above.
Really? I've returned multiple items both personal and from work orders saying I didn't need them and got free shipping every time. I do make sure to ask for it though. (US)

strobogo

Banned
I ordered something recently and cancelled the order the next day before any shipping notices. I got an email from the company that it was too late because the items had already been shipped (again, despite no shipping notice). They sent the package and charged me anyway and now won't respond back to me on a return. It wasn't directly from Amazon, but it was fulfilled by Amazon. It's been 5 days with no response. I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do.

I normally return things to Amazon if it doesn't work out for me. Shipping is free and I just reuse the box they sent the item in.

knitoe

Really? I've returned multiple items both personal and from work orders saying I didn't need them and got free shipping every time. I do make sure to ask for it though. (US)
Amazon's custom service people are nice, but that's not their policy. If you do a return through their website, depending on what you select (what I stated above), return shipping could be free or charged. Mostly, I do it through their site.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom