• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is it considered effeminate to use a straw?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This bit is quite strange. Do you not use cutlery, or eat off plates when you go to a restaurant either? Do you only buy bottles at bars?!

I've worked food.. Most all places thoroughly wash their plates/ bowls in large dishwashers but often cups just get a quick rinse or wipe.

way more

I've worked food.. Most all places thoroughly wash their plates/ bowls in large dishwashers but often cups just get a quick rinse or wipe.

That was one, singular, bizarre place you worked. They make special automated-dishwasher racks that are only used for glassware.

carlisle-opticlean-rg49-1c-49-compartment-glass-rack-with-1-color-coded-extender-lavender-carlisle-blue.jpg

Suck that straw like a MAN, get every last drop. Don't be afraid to slobber all over it, and don't use your teeth. Then you're alright.

Dryk

I've noticed when I'm out with my girlfriend that she often gets offered a straw and I don't. I just go get one anyway because I have sensitive teeth so I prefer them.

Drifters

So is effeminate trying to become fetch because I don't see it happening. To the OP; you were correct in asking for a straw by your standards however follow suit of your peers next time.

PreFire

Never heard of that.

But I can't drink a milk shake or a smoothie without a straw.

There was this one bar where the bartender used to serve my cognac (neat/no ice) and he used to put two tiny red straws in it. I always tossed them, but I can't imagine slurping Hennessy through two tiny straws.

First coffee and now straws? The details that bother some peole...
Get yourself a crazy straw OP and enjoy that drink without the mess.

Despera

Banned
I remember an acquaintance who wouldn't lick his ice cream like a normal person would, but would use his lips as a clamping mechanism and suck the ice cream into his mouth.

When I asked him why, he responded with "It's immature to extend and show your tongue in public". Apparently that's how ice cream licking is viewed in his community, so I'm not surprised that some people consider straws an effeminate tool.

Tuck

I don't think I've heard it described as effiminate, but definitely childish.

Personally I disagree. I like straws.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
First time in my entire 31 years old life I've ever heard straws is effeminate. 0_o

Though I do prefer just drink from glass. It feels more fulfilling that way.

>:)

First I even heard of this. Hell I even use the ends as floss most of the time. But seriously, if there's no straw, then make your own and dare them to question your masculinity
g604PFV.jpg

ThisGuy

When I hit maybe... 10-12 I was encouraged not to use straws. It was seen as childish. Nothing about it being effeminate though.

Damn at that Gatorade. They just need a diesel style Gatorade now.

The germphobia hang-up is weird, but I wouldn't say effeminate. I mean, you're eating out. All the utensils you have laid before you have also potentially been used by thousands of other people. That fork you just stabbed into the steak may have been in a guy's ass the day before for all you know, but that's fine as long as you don't touch the rim of a glass with your lips.

My wife is the same way, she even freaks out at me if I don't wash the tops of cans before opening them.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
When I'm in a restaurant, I always use a straw. If I don't get one, I ask for it. I don't care how clean they think their cups are, I won't drink without a straw.

However, I'll use forks no problem. Go figure.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I use a straw at home, and I'm not gay, but my boyfriend is.

I'm from Brazil, and I don't like using straws so I joke that it's effeminate with my friends, but I don't really think so, neither does anyone I know. Though it's true that most men don't use straws there, except in fast food places.

Disgraced

Who's going to take the lid and straw off to take a drink while driving? You're going to spill it all over your stupid ass.

Smellycat

I went out to lunch today with a girl, she didn't use a straw and the waiter didn't provide us with any so I didn't ask for one :(

pixelation

Are people somehow thinking of a straw as a phallic object and that's where the issue comes from?

But who has a dick that thin?...

And that is news to me, it think it's best to sip from a straw in cases like the one OP mentioned and when drinking from canned beverages (rat piss and shit).

In the main restaurant chains in Bogotá (Corral, Crepes, etc) it's standard to give you a straw with any non-alcoholic drink, you don't even have to ask for one, you get given one whether you like it or not.

This is the first I've heard of using straws being frowned upon here. Straws ftw, by the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom