• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is it considered effeminate to use a straw?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pixelation

meMcASR.gif
I'm mesmerized...
lol!, this .gif never fails to get me laughing.

lil

I use a straw for everything that isn't water. No one is a safer soda drinker than me. 😁

Except I'm a woman, so maybe I'm proving the point?? Doesn't matter. Use a straw everyone, it's good for you.

joedan

2 weeks ago I was on a business trip with a Colombian coworker. We stopped by a Mexican restaurant for lunch. We sat down, ordered drinks and I noticed the server didn't offer straws. I HATE the idea of my lips making direct contact with a cup that's been used by potentially thousands of people. I made a comment to my coworker and he flagged down our waiter in Spanish. He apologized (in Spanish) and explained to my coworker that some men get offended when they offer straws because many find it effeminate.

This is the first I've heard of such a thing.

I have no beef with the effeminate, but I never associated it with requesting/using a drinking straw.

OP weren't you the one who created the thread about some OCD cleaning routines you perform when you check into hotel rooms?

I don't think so although I an aware that the stigma exists.

I think unless you intentionally drink in a strange way, nobody will care or think that of you.

so y'all what's the deal with these restaurant glasses that are so filthy that you can't put your mouth on them but not so filthy that you won't drink a beverage that's been poured into them as long as you can use a straw to do it

vern

OP weren't you the one who created the thread about some OCD cleaning routines you perform when you check into hotel rooms?

Yup, I was just about to bring that up. Dude has some weird hang-ups.

Anyway, it's not effiminate unless you suck it like it's a penis. If you drink like a normal human being then no one will think you are a girl. Just don't drink beer through a straw.

Mortemis

Banned
Its pretty common to be offered them at restaurants, couldn't imagine them being anything other than just a straw. Not effeminate or anything like that. I use it usually since its offered, but I wouldn't mind not getting one, esp with a weird reason like thinking they aren't clean enough.

so y'all what's the deal with these restaurant glasses that are so filthy that you can't put your mouth on them but not so filthy that you won't drink a beverage that's been poured into them as long as you can use a straw to do it

Basically

Disgraced

I don't know, but my reasoning is it requires less movement to adjust my head and slide the glass over to take a sip from the straw than it does to pick up the cup. Also the ice won't bump into my teeth or block the beverage if I'm using a straw. So straws are great.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
So the guys who have a problem with straws are likely the same ones who have a problem with men carrying a nice bag instead of shoving everything into their pockets like a "real man" would do, right?

Mess

I don't understand people who worry about stuff like whether their glass is really clean and crap like that.

Just embrace it, man. There's mucus seeping from every orifice in your body, oil oozing from every pore. There's a goddamn universe of bacteria in your gut, on your skin, in your mouth. You can't leave a room without leaving some trace, some dead skin or shedded hair or splattering of bodily fluid. Your mattress is gaining weight over time as it absorbs your dead skin, your oils, and as colonies of dust mites take residence to feed on said debris. You sleep on it every night, you make love on that mattress to the person you might spend the rest of your life with, who, by the way, is just as hideously alive as you are. Life is fucking disgusting.

I mean, wash your hands and shit, but for real man don't walk around in the world and think sipping from a straw is going to protect from humanity's ickyness. You are humanity's ickyness. Just learn to love it like the rest of us.

And use a goddamn straw if you feel like it man if people judge you, fuck em.

way more

So the guys who have a problem with straws are likely the same ones who have a problem with men carrying a nice bag instead of shoving everything into their pockets like a "real man" would do, right?

Mess

Uh, no?

Straws are practical and make sense. Carrying around your own balls in a little fancie bag is for the type of men who can't do their own taxes. They type of "bro" who buys tile spacers when fixing up a bathroom. Total Cuisinart users.

When i was eating at a restaurant with some friends a while ago i ordered a coke as i was driving and the lady gave me a pink bendy straw....

Replicant

That is one of the dumbest things I've heard.

As I get older, I find the whole masculine BS becomes very aggravating and makes me realised that it holds back many men from being comfortable with themselves and around other men.

Rayis

Masculinity is such a fickle thing for some men ain't it?

This is one of the most ridiculous concepts I've ever heard

Sakura

Depends where you are from.
I would think it might be considered "effeminate", because you're crying about not wanting to put your lips on a glass that has been used by "potentially thousands of people", yet you will drink the contents of said glass/use utensils used by thousands of people.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2

That's a bingo.

Yup, I was just about to bring that up. Dude has some weird hang-ups.

Anyway, it's not effiminate unless you suck it like it's a penis. If you drink like a normal human being then no one will think you are a girl. Just don't drink beer through a straw.

I only drink beer through a straw when I'm wearing a bird mask, which seems to be happening more and more frequently.

dumbyugi

It just is. I dunno I didn't make it up. I live in Australia - maybe it's a cultural thing.

Only time I ever see guys drinking with a straw is with McDonald style cups.

I live in Australia as well and I've never heard of drinking with a straw as being effiminate. I've seen plenty of guys drinking with straws and no one gives a shit that they are.

I live in Australia as well and I've never heard of drinking with a straw as being effiminate. I've seen plenty of guys drinking with straws and no one gives a shit that they are.
I'm not saying that anyone cares it's just that in a restaurant setting you'd be hard pressed to order a drink as a guy and get a straw by default unless it's fast food.

Paracelsus

I didn't think so until I tried to remember the last time I saw a manly man using it. As for me, I use a glass, haven't drunk from a bottle in ages, if you exclude bike bottles.

arab

i knew a guy who was given a straw once at a bar and now he's sucking dicks through a gloryhole at the local adult video emporium

Syriel

2 weeks ago I was on a business trip with a Colombian coworker. We stopped by a Mexican restaurant for lunch. We sat down, ordered drinks and I noticed the server didn't offer straws. I HATE the idea of my lips making direct contact with a cup that's been used by potentially thousands of people. I made a comment to my coworker and he flagged down our waiter in Spanish. He apologized (in Spanish) and explained to my coworker that some men get offended when they offer straws because many find it effeminate.

I have no beef with the effeminate, but I never associated it with requesting/using a drinking straw.

Manly men use straws.

Plus, it saves wear and tear on your teeth (less stains).

Lamel

Banned
No, and if you're worried you look feminine while using a straw you have some insecurity issues (not you specifically OP, just in general).

Most restaurants have plastic wear.. Typically reserved for Togo orders, but they'll bring you some if requested.

What makes you think the plasticware or straws are any cleaner than pre-used cups/cutlery? I got news for you OP. Just because it is in wrapper does not mean it is a medical grade utensil. Most likely, your straw or spork was manufactured under the supervision of some minimum wage dip shit who just got done picking his/her nose. Not to mention using such instruments creates an enormous amount of unnecessary waste. In short, stop being weird.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom