• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is it humanly possible to pull off a fedora?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Welcome to the <5% of the population who might look good in a fedora. I dont think any of those people are pathetic, just slightly misguided in how to express themselves for the better, instead of expressing themselves for the sake of doing it.

You should wear a fedora because it looks good on you, not because its something different.

Wait for pics man. I'm not approving anything until I see it.

lethial

Reeeeeeee
tumblr_ma46gqT6Lu1ru44ono1_500.jpg

lol

And people complain about bullying. Jesus.

Veelk

Banned
Wait for pics man. I'm not approving anything until I see it.
Yeah, I did mention that I don't have much of a fashion sense, so I may be off, but the feedback from people around me has been 95% positive. I will also say that I don't think I look that great in pics, so that's something else to consider. God knows that I'm fighting an uphill battle by not being handsome and wearing a hard to wear hat. I don't need unnecessary hype on top of it

But yeah, we'll see when I submit myself to gafs judgement

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
I don't think I've ever actually worn a fedora, and if I have I certainly can't remember.

Wonder how I'd look in one.

xenist

Fedoras should be worn with suits. By men over thirty.

Anyone seen on the street wearing a fedora without a suit should get beaten. There are plenty of other hats to wear. Wear newsie hats if you want.

Veelk

Banned
Okay, after struggling to get a good picture taken, I realize that if the fedora does not look good, it's not because of the fedora. It's because of my fat. I need to get on P90x or some shit, because fedora or not, I can't seem to look good on the camera from a straight shot. From an angled one like this, it's not so bad.

But I know many will disapprove regardless. If people say it didn't work on some of the supermodels posted here, then I certainly have no chance. I just ask....be gentle, gaf.

Also, I want to post atleast one person who most definitely DOES pull off a fedora, better than any one else posted here. Perhaps it will lessen your anger, gafgods. My adorable baby cousin.

Okay, after struggling to get a good picture taken, I realize that if the fedora does not look good, it's not because of the fedora. It's because of my fat. I need to get on P90x or some shit, because fedora or not, I can't seem to look good on the camera from a straight shot. From an angled one like this, it's not so bad.

But I know many will disapprove regardless. If people say it didn't work on some of the supermodels posted here, then I certainly have no chance. I just ask....be gentle, gaf.

Also, I want to post atleast one person who most definitely DOES pull off a fedora, better than any one else posted here. Perhaps it will lessen your anger, gafgods. My adorable baby cousin.

Let your baby cousin keep it. She is really adorable.

You... not so much. That is not a good look for you.

This is as kind as I can be.

Veelk

Banned
Let your baby cousin keep it. She is really adorable.

You... not so much. That is not a good look for you.

This is as kind as I can be.

Honestly, it's strange because nearly everyone I know personally and those a few friends I sent it to approve of it. It's just that I'm a bit fat that they say brings me down, and I agree with that. There is also the fact that I'm not very good looking, so maybe I don't have a good look period.

I guess I'll wait for some more opinions in this thread. Hopefully, they'll take to it more, but what I wonder is why everyone approves in real life and not on the internet.

Honestly, it's strange because nearly everyone I know personally and those a few friends I sent it to approve of it. It's just that I'm a bit fat that they say brings me down, and I agree with that. There is also the fact that I'm not very good looking, so maybe I don't have a good look period.

I guess I'll wait for some more opinions in this thread. Hopefully, they'll take to it more, but what I wonder is why everyone approves in real life and not on the internet.

Take a new picture, but do it in a suit that matches the hat and a tie.

Right now, I don't think it even works with those clothes let alone your look.

You look fine, you're pretty decent looking and not really fat. But the clothes don't help at the moment.

Veelk

Banned
Take a new picture, but do it in a suit that matches the hat and a tie.

Right now, I don't think it even works with those clothes let alone your look.

You look fine, you're pretty decent looking and not really fat. But the clothes don't help at the moment.

I don't have a suit that matches the hat, so no go there.

But you don't like the coat? :( I know the hat is questionable, but I think the coat looks fantastic.

akira28

Veelk let me put you in the right suit, and you can work that fedora. But not to McDonalds, and not in what you're wearing in that pic.

But you don't look like a little kid playing dress up, which is really the most important thing.

You'd need a trench coat or a dress overcoat though. Generic raincoats won't do.

Veelk

Banned
It's a nice coat. But the hat and the coat don't work together.

Can you specify whats off about it? Because they look like they go perfectly together to me. Most other people I asked agree too. It's why I even considered the fedora working, because I know it doesn't without it or something else like it (a suit, like akira suggested.)

Can you specify whats off about it? Because they look like they go perfectly together to me. Most other people I asked agree too. It's why I even considered the fedora working, because I know it doesn't without it or something else like it (a suit, like akira suggested.)

To me, the hat makes you look formal, but that jacket and the hoodie doesn't, so it doesn't look quite right.

Veelk

Banned
To me, the hat makes you look formal, but that jacket and the hoodie doesn't, so it doesn't look quite right.

Cool thing about the jacket is that I can remove the hoodie, which makes it look much more formal. And it would probably work better that way because what do I need a hoodie for if I have a fedora and vice versa.

You're also wearing jeans.

I don't give much thought to pants, true....but I have grey jeans that I think work well with the color scheme.

Anno

Honestly (to me) it looks much better on you than all of the random pictures of non-celebrities that have been posted here. Rock it with something more formal and I think it's fine. The kid definitely looks as cute as can be with it though.

Cool thing about the jacket is that I can remove the hoodie, which makes it look much more formal. And it would probably work better that way because what do I need a hoodie for if I have a fedora and vice versa.

I don't give much thought to pants, true....but I have grey jeans that I think work well with the color scheme.

The clothes are much to informal to be wearing that hat. I know you like it and all, but you wouldn't want to eat a pizza with delicious cheese that has shit in the dough, would you?

From what I see, you can't be in your 20s or even early 30s.

40s, 50, and 60s rock them best. It's an older style hat for an older guy. It gives a sense of age, confidence, experience and all around having your shit together. That's why it usually conflicts with a younger guy, no matter what he looks like.

EVOL 100%

That just won't work unless you're wearing a suit, and even then wear it only outdoors and only when it's appropriate.

No matter how good a fedora looks on you, it just looks ridiculously out of place when worn casually like a baseball cap.

Jado

Banned
Veelk,

Rather than reiterate what I said before (quality hat + appropriate quality clothing + don't be sickly unfit), I'll provide a sampling of stupid shit you shouldn't listen to, and why GAF isn't the place to come for fashion advice. If you listen to the dumb nonsense commonly thrown around in these threads, you may very well be stuck wearing goofy t-shirts and Walmart jeans for the rest of your life.

From what I see, you can't be in your 20s or even early 30s.

Wrong.

I feel like hats/fedoras are something people wore in the past, like a pilgrim's hat. It's not something that should be worn today. Just wear a hoodie.

Wrong.

For men, it can only work if you boast a rocking jawline.

Wrong.

Only works if you're Humphrey Bogart [or insert some other celebrity like Man Men Dude], most people aren't so I'd say no.

Wrong.

Fedoras should be worn with suits.
Sometimes, but not always true. At least business casual, stylish clothing.

By men over thirty.

Wrong.

But yeah, fashion has LONG moved away from the fedora, alas. It has too much of an antiquated air to it.

Wrong. Young (and not so young) men have moved away from (any) fashion altogether, dressing worse and "poorer" than the working class from a couple of generations ago. You know we fucked up somewhere when low-class steel workers on the job looked better dressed than the average college-educated guy walking around.

snacknuts

we all knew her
Regardless of whether or not I could pull off a fedora (I couldn't), as a dude in my mid-30's with a ridiculously good head of hair, I feel it's an insult to my ancestors and genetics to cover that shit with a hat.

pubba

I was expecting a car wreck for some reason, but you actually look cool in the hat and outfit. Just my 2c worth.

If anything, you may be a little too self critical. You don't even look fat to me..

Listen to your family and Friends. They are the people you spend your life with.

Veelk

Banned
Veelk,

Rather than reiterate what I said before (quality hat + appropriate quality clothing + don't be sickly unfit), I'll provide a sampling of stupid shit you shouldn't listen to, and why GAF isn't the place to come for fashion advice. If you listen to the dumb nonsense commonly thrown around in these threads, you may very well be stuck wearing goofy t-shirts and Walmart jeans for the rest of your life.

Thank you for replying. For the record, I really do appreciate all the comments in here from everyone, criticism and compliment, even those I don't agree with. I still feel that my jacket makes the fedora work and don't agree that it needs to be work with a formal suit. It was whether it worked with my face that I was nervous about, and most people seem to shockingly agree that it does, which I am ecstatic about, as I don't get many compliments on my looks. Since you seem much better informed on these matters than most people here, I would really value your own commentary on the picture that I took.

bjb

Banned
First off you're not a bad looking dude (have an adorable kid as well - so congrats).

However, the Jacket itself is too big and bulky. It's not doing your frame any favors. Granted it could be the picture itself, but it makes you look heavy.

Therefore, that's not a good luck with a fedora. Sure, the colors / texture seemingly match, but it's not very fashionable. If you have a nice suit (particularly 3 piece) and want to rock it - that's fine. Otherwise you're effectively giving off a Brony-vibe wearing that outfit. Especially if it's with jeans.

My advice: Keep the fedora. Wear it with a suit when you want. Otherwise, lock it away or let your kid play with it.

Thank you for replying. For the record, I really do appreciate all the comments in here from everyone, criticism and compliment, even those I don't agree with. I still feel that my jacket makes the fedora work and don't agree that it needs to be work with a formal suit. It was whether it worked with my face that I was nervous about, and most people seem to shockingly agree that it does, which I am ecstatic about, as I don't get many compliments on my looks. Since you seem much better informed on these matters than most people here, I would really value your own commentary on the picture that I took.

In what way does he seem better informed? All he says is "wrong" to everything without backing that shit up.

With that said I have to say that that fedora didn't look too bad on your head and you aren't bad looking. But let's be serious, man. It's a fucking fedora. It's about as cool as The Matrix fashion and Ed Hardy clothes.

Veelk

Banned
In what way does he seem better informed? All he says is "wrong" to everything without backing that shit up.

With that said I have to say that that fedora didn't look too bad on your head and you aren't bad looking. But let's be serious, man. It's a fucking fedora. It's about as cool as The Matrix fashion and Ed Hardy clothes.

I mostly mean his first post in this thread, which was more elaborate than usual on what looks good and why.

Otherwise you're effectively giving off a Brony-vibe wearing that outfit. Especially if it's with jeans.

Are bronies known for fedoras? I never heard of this stereotype.

EVOL 100%

I mostly mean his first post in this thread, which was more elaborate than usual on what looks good and why.

It can look good but it's a ridiculously dressy item. Wearing one in casual situations looks as out of place as wearing a tuxedo in McDonalds imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom