• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is it immoral for people to dress up their pets/animals if they think it's "cute"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wag

No

0LWrvyN.jpg

That cat is going to be a murderer.

Obnoxious, inconsiderate, and causing discomfort? Sure. Immoral? Ehh, only by the virtue of being those other things (which means not so much, if so).

Thinking mostly of cats, since they generally do not like it at all and make that pretty clear.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
They choose to roll in their own shit. As long as they're not being threatened into wearing it, I don't care how weird people try to anthropomorphize their pets.

Um, what?

My cat has never "rolled around in his own shit". Unless your pet is a literal pig, I suggest a visit to the vet, that's not normal behaviour.

Trouble

Banned
I would only say it's immoral if the animal is truly distressed by it. Some animals don't like being dressed up and freak out. In that case doing it anyways is a dick move. Otherwise, whatevs.

Fink

I think dressing them up for silly photos is fine, but I would never make my pets wear stuff regularly around the house / etc. unless they needed it for warmth.

suzu

I think it's fine once in awhile or if they need it to keep warm, but smh if you're regularly shaving their fur into weird looks and dying it colors.

ghostjoke

Banned
Immortal no, but I do feel sorry every time my sister gets the notion to put something on the dogs. Dog to the left did not appreciate a pink bow on his tail.

studyguy

Immoral, nah. Maybe mildly discomforting to some pets depending on what's put on it. There are other common training methods that people legitimately see as cruel or immoral. Clothing on a pet? I don't find it anything other than unnecesary.

Crate training is one that comes to mind that throws some people off despite it being useful.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
smh if you're regularly shaving their fur into weird looks and dying it colors.

COMPLETELY agree! That borders on abuse imo, it's a living animal with emotion not a toy. Dog with purple fur smh

Mononoke

Banned
Don't know about immoral. Depends if the dog doesn't like it? If you are forcing them to be uncomfortable just so they can look cute for you, yes immoral.

Some short haired dogs that are small, actually like clothes though. If they live in colder areas, they can shake non-stop as they are freezing (even indoors). So I've seen some dogs actually get happy and almost jump into their clothing in those cases. It's funny.

Just depends. But yes, if you are living in a hot climate, and the dog doesn't need warmth, then you are an asshole for dressing them up with clothes over the fur, just to amuse yourself. IMO.

Basically, some breeds of dogs + climate, clothes = fine. If the dog does not need the clothing, and it makes them uncomfortable, and yet you force them to wear it anyways for your own amusement = immoral.

RM8

Not immoral or unethical, IMO. It's okay as long as it's not something clearly uncomfortable for the animal, or even possibly harmful. My old dog loved wearing generic dog sweaters, especially when his hair was short. It's ironic that people who oppose all kinds of pet clothes because "animals are not humans" often mention human concepts like "dignity" or "respect".

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
i don't see why....people dress their children up in the same cutesy stuff and nobody asks if thats immoral..... and those kids have to live with their parents showing their SO those same pictures of them dressed up in cutesy clothes, years later when they bring their SO to their parents house for a visit....

Malreyn

Does putting a collar on a cat or dog count as immoral? because if no, then little by little if you keep adding small articles of clothing on a pet, at what point does it become immoral?

Mononoke

Banned
i don't see why....people dress their children up in the same cutesy stuff and nobody asks if thats immoral..... and those kids have to live with their parents showing their SO those same pictures of them dressed up in cutesy clothes, years later when they bring their SO to their parents house for a visit....

I mean, kids don't have fur. So I assume he's asking it because some animals live in warmer climate. And so you are putting clothes on top of fur (which might make them uncomfortable) all for the sake of your amusement.

I guess technically, you are doing the same thing with kids (dressing them up for your own amusement. I was going to say, people can consent, animal's really can't. But little kids can't speak yet. So you have a point.

enigmatic_alex44

I mean, kids don't have fur. So I assume he's asking it because some animals live in warmer climate. And so you are putting clothes on top of fur (which might make them uncomfortable) all for the sake of your amusement.

I guess technically, you are doing the same thing with kids (dressing them up for your own amusement. I was going to say, people can consent, animal's really can't. But little kids can't speak yet. So you have a point.

Pretty much. But with kids you're dressing them up for the same reason adults dress, we don't have fur, so for warmth, to protect them and it's the law.

It's the Toddlers and Tiaras type nonsense where it enters immoral territory with kids. Slathering them in make up and trotting them on stage to be judged. Vile.

Is it immoral to put a saddle on a horse?

Yes. Don't even get me started on the treatment of horses (included the method of "breaking" them) :mad:

Mononoke

Banned
Pretty much. But with kids you're dressing them up for the same reason adults dress, we don't have fur, so for warmth, to protect them and it's the law.

It's the Toddlers and Tiaras type nonsense where it enters immoral territory with kids. Slathering them in make up and trotting them on stage to be judged. Vile.

Yes. Don't even get me started on the treatment of horses (included the method of "breaking" them) :mad:

Yeah fair point. I basically feel like, if the animal has short fur, and the climate is cold, so they NEED clothes (some animals actually do need clothes even indoors, depending on the breed, and the weather)...then okay. But if you are dressing up your animal and they don't need it, and you are only doing it for your own amusement, that seems very wrong to me.

Like you said, children need clothes due to our lack of fur for warmth. You aren't saying it's immoral because of the way the clothes look. You are saying it's immoral because they have fur, and you are putting extra on top of it, and it might not be good for them.

That makes sense. I don't get why people like to dress up their animals for their own amusement. It feels...creepy and kind of cruel (again, depending on the climate and the kind of fur they have).

Cuburt

I kind of get what OP is saying.

I've seen videos on the internet of people doing something like put tape on their cat's feet to make them walk funny and people rage about how cruel it is to do something like that when it's clear the animal is uncomfortable, doesn't like it, and doesn't have a choice. I'm not talking something that is hurting an animal but something that may be kind purposefully annoying to an animal.

Then you have people who dress up their animals (and granted not all animals are the same; some might not mind or even like it to some extent) and even if an animal is unhappy or angry about it, it doesn't seem to elicit the same rage. Both cases, you are subjecting an animal to something beyond their control but one is cute.

junglist

I think its alright if your in place where the weather is absolute shit to use dog rain coats.. and jackets.. why not...

heres my dog being awesome

551450_4563305565282_1210433357_n.jpg

I kind of get what OP is saying.

I've seen videos on the internet of people doing something like put tape on their cat's feet to make them walk funny and people rage about how cruel it is to do something like that when it's clear the animal is uncomfortable, doesn't like it, and doesn't have a choice. I'm not talking something that is hurting an animal but something that may be kind purposefully annoying to an animal.

Then you have people who dress up their animals (and granted not all animals are the same; some might not mind or even like it to some extent) and even if an animal is unhappy or angry about it, it doesn't seem to elicit the same rage. Both cases, you are subjecting an animal to something beyond their control but one is cute.

Are you sure about this? Because whenever I look at any Youtube video about animals, there is almost always discussion about how the video uploader/pet owner is an irresponsible animal abuser.

If the animal is fine and doesn't show any '' negative symptoms '' caused by dressing them up, then I don't necessarily understand the immorality. But I do feel a bit '' eh, you don't need to do this '' when I see animals dressed up.

junglist

I think anyone who puts clothes on a pet should burn in hell, so I must thing it is immoral.

14c4b604701102f7ee13f4a6591cdac8.jpg

There has to be some exception to the rule... like rainy days.... I know I would be pissed off If I was a house dog having to take a shit in the cold wet rain.

Cuburt

Are you sure about this? Because whenever I look at any Youtube video about animals, there is almost always discussion about how the video uploader/pet owner is an irresponsible animal abuser.

If the animal is fine and doesn't show any '' negative symptoms '' caused by dressing them up, then I don't necessarily understand the immorality. But I do feel a bit '' eh, you don't need to do this '' when I see animals dressed up.
Well I can't say I've seen as many videos of people dressing up their animals on Youtube as I have other videos of people's pets, but I have seen various states of unamused pets with people's reactions on the whole varying widely due to the context.

Like I mentioned, I've seen a video where someone put scotch tape on a cats paws and people raged in the comments about how cruel it was but then I see a video with a cat with boots on acting exactly the same way (angry and walking funny) and there is a distinct lack of rage.

Not to say it's immoral necessarily but I can see where OP is coming from.

Soriku

Immoral? They're just clothes.

Just don't be a nuisance. Obviously if your pet doesn't like it, well don't be a dick, and keep the clothes off.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
I put my cat in a sweater on christmas and laugh while he walks around all funny.

If he complains, I beat him while yelling 'it's christmas asshole'
Immoral? No.

Stupid? Yes.

exactly. that's why it's awesome.

Famassu

It's not immoral, but it's stupid. The only case it's not stupid in is if you dress them up because you live in such a cold place (either year around or winters) that the dogs wouldn't survive a trip outside without something to keep them warm, but then buying those kinds of breeds when you live in a colder climate IS incredibly dumb. And creating those kinds of breeds with very little or no fur to keep the dogs warm was already incredibly harmful, stupid and pretty immoral from human beings in the first place.

enigmatic_alex44

Animals are property and their owners can do whatever they want with them.

No they really can't, not ethically or by law.

I think its alright if your in place where the weather is absolute shit to use dog rain coats.. and jackets.. why not...

heres my dog being awesome

551450_4563305565282_1210433357_n.jpg

Ok

This is cute I admit! It's just a hat and it suits him :p

Hahaha, why? How is dyeing a pet's fur hurting the pet at all, either physically or emotionally?

You're making the pet look like a laughing stock. Dyeing it's fur? How does that benefit the dog or cat in any way? They didn't ask to be fluorescent orange or rainbow colored. It's one thing to trim their fur (I do that with one of my cats as she's a Maine Coone and her long fur gets matted) but busting out the dye is Toddlers and Tiaras territory.

Zeppu

You're making the pet look like a laughing stock. Dyeing it's fur? How does that benefit the dog or cat in any way? They didn't ask to be fluorescent orange or rainbow colored.

I still don't see how it hurts them. Them being a laughing stock is not going to cause them any emotional pain, as it would with human beings. They just think everyone's being super friendly around them. Them being whatever colour doesn't make them get mistreated or picked on in the same way it would children. What applies to humans doesn't necessarily apply to animals. They're not going to get ostracised by other animals or by their owners.

gaugebozo

It's not immoral, but it's stupid. The only case it's not stupid in is if you dress them up because you live in such a cold place (either year around or winters) that the dogs wouldn't survive a trip outside without something to keep them warm, but then buying those kinds of breeds when you live in a colder climate IS incredibly dumb. And creating those kinds of breeds with very little or no fur to keep the dogs warm was already incredibly harmful, stupid and pretty immoral from human beings in the first place.

But most of those dogs were bred in warm places to begin with (Mexico, etc.) That's why they don't have much fur.

I have a dachshund from a shelter with next to no fur who really enjoys putting on a sweater, so you can't really assume that everybody who lives in a colder climate is being dumb by putting their dog in clothes. In addition, some dogs are calmed by having some sort of compressive item on them. It really helps during thunderstorms, fireworks and the like.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom