• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

is it worth getting Hogwarts Legacy even if you're not a harry potter fan?

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
All of the gameplay of Hogwarts legacy i've seen looks really fun, the visuals look interesting, the game overall looks good, like it'll be a fun time.
But the only experience i've had with Harry Potter is reading the philosopher's stone, and while it was interesting and a bit cool, i never really got through the thing. I'm not exactly a film guy either so I've never seen any of the films. Philosopher's stone is my only exposure to Harry Potter and i haven't even finished the book yet.

The situation was similar to Spiderman in that i've never seen any of the films and read the comic books, yet i really enjoyed the 2018 game. Do you need to be entrenched in the hogwarts lore to enjoy this game or can you just dive in not giving a shit?

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
"All of the gameplay of Hogwarts legacy i've seen looks really fun, the visuals look interesting, the game overall looks good, like it'll be a fun time."

why not? the game gives you a good impression already.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
If you want a long open world action RPG it seems like a novel setting. 1800s with a magic school. I'm sure it's designed for people not into the series, but you'll miss many references.

I'm not buying it for $70 as I'm not into HP at all. But I may get it on sale much later. I'd like to see the school, and fly around a bit. Looks neat.

Last edited:

skyfall

No, it's a game, so as long as the game elements are good and to your taste, I don't see why you wouldn't enjoy it.

There will probably be some nods to the universe you wont get as much out of, but that's it.

Last edited:

MayauMiao

I know I won't be getting it. I am just simply not into the Harry Potter lore, just like I didn't buy any Lord of the Rings games. Sword & sorcery genre isn't just my thing.

Maybe if its on huge Steam discount I will get it but right now I'm happy to waste my gaming time on the recently purchased Fallout 76.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
"All of the gameplay of Hogwarts legacy i've seen looks really fun, the visuals look interesting, the game overall looks good, like it'll be a fun time."

why not? the game gives you a good impression already.
I'm worried that I'll be in over my head story wise because of how much I'd need to know about the mythos

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
It'll probably not be quite as good, no. Looks like every other third person action adventure game but with a HP skin. That said, it's almost entirely unrelated to the existing media, it's set long before the books so you won't struggle to pick up on stuff.

You could always binge watch the movies this week, they're comfy as hell with a fire and/or blanket.

NickFire

Familiarity / enjoyment of the underlying lore can really make this kind of game more enjoyable (and/or massive commercial success). But that’s a sweetener and not required to have fun with it. I’ve been thrilled with countless games that had lore I learned of only in game.

Lasha

I'm worried that I'll be in over my head story wise because of how much I'd need to know about the mythos
There is no mythos. I started reading the books back when the fourth came out without missing a beat. The world is only deep enough to be a believable setting. The game is going to explain everything in detail anyways if it is anything like the books.

Pagusas

Elden Member
There is no mythos. I started reading the books back when the fourth came out without missing a beat. The world is only deep enough to be a believable setting. The game is going to explain everything in detail anyways if it is anything like the books.
There is one, but the narrative of Harry Potter's story and this game do not require knowledge of it in the least. But the world does have a pretty grand mythos if you delve into it, but you dont need to at all. Just another way it was written so damn well.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I've seen the first and 2nd movie as a kid.
I am sure I've seen another movies too but never proper watching.
I wonder about the same question here as I am not a fan. But at least I have some reference to the first few movies and I remember them from my early teens

It really looks like nothing special apart from being able to play an open world RPG-ish game in that environment.

It's another "get quest, watch bad talking animation, now follow the waypoints until you get a button prompt, now go back to the questgiver, etc."

Punished Miku

Gold Member
It really looks like nothing special apart from being able to play an open world RPG-ish game in that environment.

It's another "get quest, watch bad talking animation, now follow the waypoints until you get a button prompt, now go back to the questgiver, etc."
That's my impression mostly, but I think the school will be unique. Moving pictures, secrets, classrooms you attend, etc.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
If it looks appealing to you then sure go get it. I'd just wait for a discount if you aren't 100% sure.

Last edited:
I was never a Potter fan, but the game’s exciting to me because now we have another studio capable of putting out a large scale AAA RPG. There aren’t many studios that can or will, so seeing another one pop out of the woodwork is always nice to see.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
The game isnt out.
Its approximately 30 hours.

How is anyone on GAF going to know how much Wizarding World lore is needed to enjoy the game?

P.S
From what I can tell its the same mumbo jumbo shit that the movies go on about.
I was working in a Cinema when the last two movies came out, so ive seen them now maybe 100+ times each.
Its nonsense.

Go in have fun with the combat, enjoy the characters, soak in the world, tolerate the story.
Black_Stride advice to all jumping into Wizarding World shit late.

After all the hate speeches and death threats on homosexuals, for being gay and not being into vaginas, from trans activities, I'm getting it even if I don't intend to play it. The most illarious is from all the so called journalists that have not a single problem in reviewing riot games, Ubisoft, or even Shadow Complex. Zero complex for homophobia, double standard. I mean, you just have to open your eyes to see it!

After all the hate speeches and death threats on homosexuals, for being gay and not being into vaginas, from trans activities, I'm getting it even if I don't intend to play it. The most illarious is from all the so called journalists that have not a single problem in reviewing riot games, Ubisoft, or even Shadow Complex. Zero complex for homophobia, double standard. I mean, you just have to open your eyes to see it!
you are so brave

you are so brave
"i am what I am", a gay who is into penis and nothing else. The only people who want to change us, who say that it is wrong to like it the way gay does, who say it's a phobia to love men and their attributs when your are a man, are bigots, far right and trans activists!
People just have to open twitter to see it.

Last edited:

Kacho

The game isnt out.
Its approximately 30 hours.

How is anyone on GAF going to know how much Wizarding World lore is needed to enjoy the game?

P.S
From what I can tell its the same mumbo jumbo shit that the movies go on about.
I was working in a Cinema when the last two movies came out, so ive seen them now maybe 100+ times each.
Its nonsense.

Go in have fun with the combat, enjoy the characters, soak in the world, tolerate the story.
Black_Stride advice to all jumping into Wizarding World shit late.
My wife was huge into Harry Potter when we were dating and I saw the movie where Dobby dies. People in the theater were absolutely distraught. I couldn't stop laughing.

I agree that the movies are nonsense. Don't get the hype for the IP at all.

Bartski

Gold Member
I'm too old for those books and I watched one film because my ex forced me, didn't like it. I see no appeal in the IP nor especially any of the gameplay shown, but apparently the game is good so I may check it out when it lands on subscription one day

Deerock71

Here's my take:
I've never read a single Harry Potter book.
I've never sat through a whole Harry Potter movie.
Why bother?

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
As a non HP fan it's the sort of thing I would try on Game Pass but I have too many other good games in my queue otherwise.

Played a lot of lousy HP games back in the day for work so it left a bad taste in my mouth.

ebevan91

I've never been interested in HP so I likely won't ever play it but I will watch someone play it on Youtube since I still like RPGs.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Here's my take:
I've never read a single Harry Potter book.
I've never sat through a whole Harry Potter movie.
Why bother?
Cuz the game is good stand alone without having watched/read any Harry Potter stuff.

It takes place centuries before any of the Harry Potter stuff.
Its set in the 1800s.

Fbh

From the few reviews I read/saw it definitely sounds like an all around solid game even if you aren't a HP fan.
Honestly even if you've never seen or read HP the setting of this game is pretty cool. A magic school, set in a magical castle in the Scottish Highlands in the 1800's feel like a breath of fresh air compared to the setting we get in most games like this.

Last edited:
i'm sure you'll be able to enjoy it. you don't need to have read the books or seen the movies because its set decades before them. this is set in like the 19th century or something where as HP is set in the 1990s.

if you think it looks interesting then give it a shot.

Last edited:

Holammer

I'll get it eventually if the steam user review average is good (WB games often get cheap fast too), but before I play it I'll watch all the movies, only ever saw the first two.
Past few years the property has been incredibly "toxic" because of its cringe inducing fandom, before it turned on Rowling anyway. So the game itself might bring me around.

stn

I really liked the books as a kid but lost interest over time. If I buy the game then it will be because it appears to be a fun and good third-person action game.

dave_d

Oh the plus side if you wait a few months for it to be on sale before getting it, there will be fewer bugs.

diffusionx

Gold Member
I am an old boomer who knows literally nothing about Harry Potter, never read the books, never watched the movies. The game looks cool but it also seems heavily steeped in fanservice so I really feel like I would be missing a good chunk of the experience. I don’t have plans to get it, but if it maintains a good rep I probably would consider it on sale down the road.

Last edited:
Top Bottom