• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

is it worth getting Hogwarts Legacy even if you're not a harry potter fan?

TheSHEEEP

Gold Member
I am not a HP fan but i love magic, RPG's, and fantasy so its for me.
Similar for me.
I watched the movies, sure. But I never read the books.

And I don't care much for HP himself or the other characters.
But the setting I do find HIGHLY interesting and always wanted a game in that setting that ISN'T about Harry Potter.

Raven117

I'll pick it up eventually, but there is a whole lot coming out this year. Will likely snag it on sale.

Esca

I wouldn't call it a Harry Potter game, it's a game set in a Wizarding world in the old days. Would be awesome even if it wasn't for the lore from that universe

GymWolf

My wife was huge into Harry Potter when we were dating and I saw the movie where Dobby dies. People in the theater were absolutely distraught. I couldn't stop laughing.

I agree that the movies are nonsense. Don't get the hype for the IP at all.
muggles-people.gif

Flabagast

It seems to be a truly excellent game on its own tbh.

And finally we get an open world which main interaction is not cruel violence against other people.

Brock2621

So I'm not a Potter fan at all. I've seen the movies years ago when I binge-watched them during a divorce. However, saying that, I went ahead and grabbed it on CDKeys for $45 a few weeks ago and gunna play on PC because of the previews. Looks like a good "open world RPG" regardless of the lore it's set in. Same as the Witcher. Had no idea of the lore but jumped into 3 and adore it. Just my 1 cent opinion.

Last edited:

dave_d

I figure I'll wait a few months and then probably get it on sale. I'm figuring by doing this most of the serious bugs will be gone plus I'll know if the game is actually fun for how many hours it takes to play through vs being fun for the first 5-6 hours.(I mean I thought Black and White was fun for the first few hours hours but then became tedious.) Anyway I'm not the target demo and as everyone else has said there's tons of stuff to play.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Reviews make me think this is a high 7, low 8 game for non-fans and the Second Cooming of Vadermort for HP fans. I can't think of a fantasy book series from my youth that I would want to get made into a game (maybe Wizard of Oz but that's not at all unique to my childhood - though seeing what they've done with HW, an OZ openworld game would be pretty sweet, given how wacky and crazy those books are).

. . .ACG quite liked it and I tend to trust their engagement with games like this (though it does seem like he also grew up with the books).

Portugeezer

I only read like 2 books, haven't seen the movies and the game just looks like a good game. Not set in the same timeline which also helps.

Kacho

That's fuckign hilarious, but why is dobby with that group?

Put kreacher instead of him and you have the perfect gang.
Lol no clue. I stole that from Twitter because I saw the word muggle. Figured the meme made sense. First time I saw the word was in the gif you posted. No clue what it means because I don’t Harry Potter.

GymWolf

Lol no clue. I stole that from Twitter because I saw the word muggle. Figured the meme made sense. First time I saw the word was in the gif you posted. No clue what it means because I don’t Harry Potter.
That's what a muggle would say.

I watched movies two times in chronological order- but in a really long periods of time. And sometimes when they were on and off TV but it was mostly one part or so- in random order. I haven't read the books. I'm not considering myself a huge fan- I don't care about twitter and era stuff really and reviews seem mostly positive and I like RPGs and magic. Seems like Avalanche did a good job.

Saw some 3h video leak and skipped through it quickly and from what I saw, I will probably like it. Combat seems fun and so is traversal on flying broom with pretty nice LOD. Also from what I saw there's a ton of NPCs in villages and towns - things look lively.

Looks like solid 8/10 if not 9/10 (depends on a bugs).

I will probably buy it, once I finish God of War Ragnarok. Which will be like in a month or two tops.

I have less time to game right now and pretty big backlog.

But yeah, I will buy it. Looks fun. A bit excited to play it in the near future.

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I have been playing for a little over an hour now, I guess, and I say: maybe? It is heavy on the fan service. Big time. And if you're not a fan of this wizarding world universe I am guessing a ton of references are going to be lost on you.

Yoboman

I'm worried that I'll be in over my head story wise because of how much I'd need to know about the mythos
Nah it's pretty easy to grasp, you might not know spell names and stuff but will catch on quick. It's not really connected to the book storyline from what I've played for. Which makes sense it is 100 years earlier

All of the gameplay of Hogwarts legacy i've seen looks really fun, the visuals look interesting, the game overall looks good, like it'll be a fun time.
But the only experience i've had with Harry Potter is reading the philosopher's stone, and while it was interesting and a bit cool, i never really got through the thing. I'm not exactly a film guy either so I've never seen any of the films. Philosopher's stone is my only exposure to Harry Potter and i haven't even finished the book yet.

The situation was similar to Spiderman in that i've never seen any of the films and read the comic books, yet i really enjoyed the 2018 game. Do you need to be entrenched in the hogwarts lore to enjoy this game or can you just dive in not giving a shit?

The timestamp in the video below does a nice job of answering this question:

Last edited:

Mr.ODST

After playing the game for a few hours, seems in game your character can ask questions like "What is Defence against the dark arts" "Whats is this" and it explains it all, good way to engage newcomers to the wizarding world

Clintizzle

Lord of Edge.
I think the game will be enjoyable if you
(hate transgender women)
like Fantasy RPG's.

I wasn't too bothered about the Harry Potter books/films but do like me an open world game.

Yes buy it anyway. Fight the woke cancel culture!!!

if you'd read this actual text from an actual review of the game you'd know it's woke though

It is a shame that the game can’t escape this context, because tremendous effort has clearly gone into diversifying Potter’s magical world for a 2023 audience. Aside from the baffling decision to use one of the books’ most uncomfortable tropes, the goblins, as the central antagonists, Hogwarts Legacy is studiously inclusive. Hogwarts’ students and staff hail from Uganda, India, Korea; it is heavily implied, if never outright stated, that at least one character is trans; a female quest-giver casually refers to her wife within the first five hours. It might be set in the 1800s, but this is a thoroughly modern take.

See? So it's actually cucked out to buy this Harry Potter game. It's not the based Harry Potter game that you thought it was. Look who's foolish now.

if you'd read this actual text from an actual review of the game you'd know it's woke though

See? So it's actually cucked out to buy this Harry Potter game. It's not the based Harry Potter game that you thought it was. Look who's foolish now.

nah I’m really enjoying it, most fun I’ve had in a game in ages.

Having played it for a while now I still stand by saying you can play it without having read the books or watched the movies.

A lot of things might go over your head or leave you confused. Nothing major. The game will explain to you what you need to know but I just mean the game pays close attention to the books so if you have never read them then you're not gonna appreciate a lot of things or immediately understand some stuff the characters are doing.

Maybe you'll play the game and fall in love with the world and want to read the books or watch the movies. The movies are enjoyable but the game feels like more of a straight adaptation of the books than of the movies.

radewagon

What are we, frickin amateurs? I'm not even a fan of Call of Duty and even my basic understanding of the "No Russian" level is enough to recognize that this image makes no sense. The "No Russian" line is a reference to the language and not the people. It is stated so that Russian terrorists are not rightly blamed for a false flag attack against their fellow people. What exactly is "No muggles" even trying to say? Muggles are a people, not a language.

C'mon gaf. We can do better.

trikster40

The game is fantastic, so a newcomer will love it for the gameplay and get sucked into the world, whereas a fan is going to get sucked into the world and then appreciate the gameplay.

It’s so cool wandering Hogwarrts and the outside areas. I can’t wait to get my broom!

Saber

Gold Member
Honestly it depends alot. It has the elemets of rpg sure, but is more akin to some sort of hack slash combat with twists. It's really in favor of HP fans because theres alot of details and references, its a pretty Harry Potter imersive game.
I would suggest you to watch gameplay videos on youtube and decide yourself. But if is not gameplay you're worried about then go for it. I doubt your little experience with HP movies will influence that much, the game is about centuries old in terms of story timeline.

Last edited:

Brock2621

Not a Potter fan, seen the movies once, but playing this sucks you in and fills you with a sense of joy and exploration, regardless of the intellectual property.

Top Bottom