• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Maxwell from Scribblenauts canonically the most powerful videogame character?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScOULaris

One of the common criticisms of Scribblenauts Unlimited was that its puzzles were simply too easy to solve once the player came to grips with the game's systems and logic. The puzzle designs were part of the problem, sure, but I think the primary factor at play here was something else entirely...

They made Maxwell a fuggin' god in Unlimited.

tumblr_m5d4bvfywo1r4yzs3o1_500.gif

I mean, honestly. With the powers that Maxwell possesses in Unlimited I don't know how you'd feasibly design challenges for him that would be difficult in the slightest. The kid can do damn near anything! Hell, I'd say his powers surpass that of a god since he can summon gods, deities, and other mythical creatures on a whim and have them fight one another or just annihilate them himself once his ADD kicks in and he decides to move on to some other absurd demonstration of his might.

Maxwell has to be the most powerful character in all of gaming, right? I can't think of anyone else who tops him in terms of sheer capability. I mean, shit. He can apply an adjective to any living thing and alter its reality in an instant. If any other powerful character walked up on him, what's to stop Maxwell from busting out his notebook and adding "nonexistent" to their adjectives? Poof, they're gone. Or he could give himself adjectives like "supersonic," "invincible," "godlike"... etc. There really is no limit to what he can do with adjectives alone, and that's before you factor in his ability to conjure up damn near anything (living or otherwise) to essentially do his bidding. And when he's done with them, he can just blink them out of existence in an instant. Oh, that shark is hungry? Let me bring a baby into this world only to immediately feed him to the shark. All for a fuckin' Starite shard! That's how drunk with power this kid is. He has no regard for life in any form. And can you blame him? Life kind of loses its meaning and weight when you can create/destroy it in seconds with a few scribbles in a notebook.

And I haven't even gotten to the fact that he can create new objects and living beings in Unlimited with the object creator. That's just too much. I mean look at one of the first things I made back when Unlimited launched on PC years ago.

That's Blackwell riding his trusty steed Datass Baby. We're talking about a glittering, mountable dark-skinned baby with a mohawk, hooves, and an ear-to-ear grin who can throw weaponized dollar bills that destroy anything they touch. And that was made by a complete novice with the toolset. Shit, he can manifest anything he wants into the universe! You want a moose that vomits nuclear warheads? There you go. The Steam Workshop for Unlimited is home to far more impressive and absurd creations than that, and it's further evidence of Maxwell's overpowered status.

If we go full VS debating I'm pretty there is someone fast enough to stop Maxwell from achieving god-like powers.

Unless if we starts with those powers, but it doesn't look like he does?

ScOULaris

If we go full VS debating I'm pretty there is someone fast enough to stop Maxwell from achieving god-like powers.

Well, he acquired his powers once he was given the notebook. What are you suggesting, that someone with time-travel capabilities go back in time and prevent Maxwell from ever getting his hands on the notebook?

Although I guess in a straight-up VS scenario if someone could prevent Maxwell from writing in his notebook he'd be easily thwarted. Problem is time freezes whenever he goes to write something.

Berordn

All Maxwell has to do is write something down and it gets willed into existence.

He starts with said power, since it's the whole point of the games.

All Maxwell has to do is write something down and it gets willed into existence.

He starts with said power, since it's the whole point of the games.

I was referring that before he could specifically write, as in someone could hit him before he can finish writing, but ScOULaris apparently clarified that time stops when he is writing. In that case, I still think that if someone is so absurdly fast or is immune to time stops, it is possible to stop Maxwell.

Maxwell reminds me of gameplay-createmode-Sackboy, who also has similiar creation powers and time stop.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
Nah if you cut off his hands he has no power at all.

EDIT: Forgot he might be able to write with other parts of his body, I guess his feet also has to be done away with and probably his mouth.

ScOULaris

Nah if you cut off his hands he has no power at all.

I'd love to see someone try.

Maxwell: Oh, you wanna cut off my hands, eh?

*freezes time and adds 'invincible' to his own adjectives*
*spawns a purple ridable giant robot panda bear and hops on*
just for fun

Maxwell: Eh, actually let's just make this quick.

*adds 'dead' to the opponent's adjectives*

One and done.

heringer

Before he starts to write, Jack Joyce could simply stop time and shoot his ass.

And Jack Joyce is one of the lamest videogame characters.

So I was thinking users with time immunities, and while I've been trying to find source for this characters specific time immunity, apparently Clank from Ratchet & Clank has time immunity powers. He does have soul of time power creatures and has ability to alter time as well in some aspects. And while he is mostly pack-back, he does have his own weapons and has used Ratchet's weapons in some occasions. I suppose most powerful Ratchet weapon that he has used is RYNO 6.

So umm, if Clank is immune to time stop, Clank shoots Maxwell before he can stop Clank. Hu, kinda weird.

ScOULaris

It's either maxwell or kirby. Kirby can swallow anything maxwell makes...and absorb its power.

Kirby isn't doing shit if Maxwell applies any powerful adjectives to him.

• Frozen
  • Nonexistent
  • Dead
  • Sleeping
  • Confused
  • Petrified
  • Blind
  • The list goes on into infinity...
Or of course he could always spawn something poisonous (e.g. poisonous edible stapler) and have Kirby suck it down, thus killing himself.

Crazyorloco

Kirby isn't doing shit if Maxwell applies any powerful adjectives to him.

• Frozen
  • Nonexistent
  • Dead
  • Sleeping
  • Confused
  • Petrified
  • Blind
  • The list goes on into infinity...
Or of course he could always spawn something poisonous (e.g. poisonous edible stapler) and have Kirby suck it down, thus killing himself.

Kirby could turn into that poisonous stapler and attack his face before he can write down "immunity" on his notepad!

Maxwell can make two Kirbys to fight against Kirby tho.

Well...yeah. damn...true. lol But then I think the battle would end in a draw.

Now that I think about it Ditto (from pokemon) could also have a good fight against maxwell and the prince from Katamari Damacy could roll up everything Maxwell has.

Plum

As soon as he got the notepad he'd have to apply "Invincible," "Telepathic," "Clairvoyant," to himself then whip up some time machines to stop Skynet starting shit and he'd become unstoppable. None of your "but actually," nerd bullshit will get past that. Maxwell will become as gods.

Archanfel

I dunno, Dr. Manhattan can just think him out of existence. No paper needed. Though I dunno if he's considered a video game character. I'm pretty sure he's been in a video game though.

tkscz

No joke.

Geokenitic: Can control and materilize stone and plants, plants resistant to just about everything thrown at them. Can make "pom poms" out of plants and deflect projectiles with them.

Can move so fast everything around her stops.

Posses Super human Strength.

Posses high durability

Plum

No joke.

Geokenitic: Can control and materilize stone and plants, plants resistant to just about everything thrown at them. Can make "pom poms" out of plants and deflect projectiles with them.

Can move so fast everything around her stops.

Posses Super human Strength.

Posses high durability

Yeah but what use are those when she doesn't have to most important power of all: relevancy?

Puruzi

Banned
Maxwell is busted

He can add adjectives to himself and become unstoppable without needing the notebook afterwards

ScOULaris

Man, this makes me nostalgic of my days working on this game and the DC comics version.
Also sad 5th cell closed :(

You used to work on the Scribblenauts games? I'd love to chat with you sometime to get your thoughts on the series' progression with each iteration. The core concept has always been fantastic, but I honestly feel like the first game (and to some extent Super Scribblenauts) took the best approach with regard to level design. Once Unlimited pushed the series more toward just giving people some appropriate object I think that the puzzle solutions became less interesting and more scripted.

I've never read any developer feedback on these things, so I'd love to hear your take on it.

I'm also very sad about 5th Cell's closure. I wonder what Fighting Words (iOS) would've been like had it not been cancelled prior to the layoffs.

Nah, because he can die.

C'mon, son. First thing Maxwell does every morning is apply "fabulous invincible immortal" to himself. He doesn't die. He decides who/what lives and dies.

I dunno, Dr. Manhattan can just think him out of existence. No paper needed. Though I dunno if he's considered a video game character. I'm pretty sure he's been in a video game though.
Not sure if Dr. Manhattan has ever been in a game before, but Maxwell could always create him in the object editor.

Brofield

Okay, but who's to say it isn't the notebook that grants power? If you find a character immune to the power of stopped time and fast enough to grab the notebook, doesn't that mean they too now have supreme greater than gods powers?

tkscz

Yeah but what use are those when she doesn't have to most important power of all: relevancy?

Besides this thread, when was the last time Maxwell was relevant?
both make me sad that they aren't given enough attention

ScOULaris

Okay, but who's to say it isn't the notebook that grants power? If you find a character immune to the power of stopped time and fast enough to grab the notebook, doesn't that mean they too now have supreme greater than gods powers?

Do you have any examples of characters that are immune to time stoppage?

Also, I believe that the notebook only works for Maxwell and Doppelganger in the Scribblenauts universe. I remember him saying something about how its powers are bound to him or something in Unmasked.

Plum

Besides this thread, when was the last time Maxwell was relevant?
both make me sad that they aren't given enough attention

When he starred in the DC game back in 2013

When was the last time Daisy was a main character in a game? :)

ScOULaris

No

Couldn't sonic or mario fuck him up?

They wouldn't stand a goddamned chance.

Maxwell would end their entire world and everything they've ever known in the blink of an eye. Hell, he'd probably get creative with it. He'd create a laser gun that turns people into dead chickens or some weird shit. When you're all-powerful you tend to bore easily.

tkscz

Since when does Daisy have any of those abilities? In what game(s)?

Regardless, I see no mention of her being immune to time stoppage.

Mario Power Tennis for the speed

Super Mario Strikers Charged for controlling/Materializing rock

All sports games except for Strikers Charged for controlling/materializing plants

Mario Party for durability and strength.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom