• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Maxwell from Scribblenauts canonically the most powerful videogame character?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nategc20

Banned
They wouldn't stand a goddamned chance.

Maxwell would end their entire world and everything they've ever known in the blink of an eye. Hell, he'd probably get creative with it. He'd create a laser gun that turns people into dead chickens or some weird shit. When you're all-powerful you tend to bore easily.
But mario with the magic marker tho? Couldn't he literally do the same shit? Like hes so bored he plays in his own worlds. Mario is literally a god.

Mael

The worst part about any matchup with Maxwell is that the opponent is unaware of Maxwell's powers at the start so there is literally nothing any normal opponent would be able to do since they wouldn't have the initiative.
Any opponent wouldn't even know that his powers come from the book or something, so that leaves the opponent acting to do something about the book/hand issue WHEN Maxwell does something with it that can logically mean he's bad news.
Unless of course Maxwell is an idiot and loudly declaim what he is doing every time.

Crazyorloco

Similar to Batman's prep time is Maxwell's write time on his notepad. That's his weakness.

Also if he's having writers block.

ScOULaris

Similar to Batman's prep time is Maxwell's write time on his notepad. That's his weakness.

Also if he's having writers block.

Haha, writer's block got me.

That being said, since time stops when he goes to write in his notebook he could take all the time in the world to craft the most devastating assault imaginable.

A character being immune to all manner of time stoppage would definitely be a good counter to Maxwell, though. That's the best argument I've seen yet in this thread. I just can't think of a character with that ability off the top of my head.

Mael

Haha, writer's block got me.

That being said, since time stops when he goes to write in his notebook he could take all the time in the world to craft the most devastating assault imaginable.

A character being immune to all manner of time stoppage would definitely be a good counter to Maxwell, though. That's the best argument I've seen yet in this thread. I just can't think of a character with that ability off the top of my head.

Even that is not enough, he would need to be able to act and incapacitate Maxwell before the little guy did anything.
Even taking the time to wonder why time has stopped for everyone else would be a window long enough for Immortal Maxwell.
If the opponents don't happen to know their adversary powers, Maxwell will always come on top.
And if we're at that point we're already changing the balance to make it unfair for Maxwell already.

ScOULaris

Even that is not enough, he would need to be able to act and incapacitate Maxwell before the little guy did anything.
Even taking the time to wonder why time has stopped for everyone else would be a window long enough for Immortal Maxwell.
If the opponents don't happen to know their adversary powers, Maxwell will always come on top.
And if we're at that point we're already changing the balance to make it unfair for Maxwell already.

Well even if he made himself immortal, if someone was able to nab the notebook from him before he could write anything useful in the fight (by being immune to the notebook's time stoppage and catching Maxwell off-guard) they'd essentially take away Maxwell's ability to do anything further. This assumes that the other character went into the fight having prepared specifically for Maxwell and his notebook.

But like you said, we're already trying to tip the scales away from Maxwell for the sake of giving someone else even a slim chance of beating him.

RRockman

Banned
Nah, Capcom's version of DIO Brando would stomp him into the ground. Sakuya too. Basically anybody has access to instaneous time stop and both Maxwell and the person in question are told to kill each other, then the person with instant time hax wins.

Synth

Right, so I've been pondered a few things that need to be cleared up here. When we say that "time stops" when Maxwell writes in his book, does this imply that we consider the mechanics of his game world to overrule the canonical portrayals of the book's usage as shown in cutscenes?

This is important because depending on the answer, time either doesn't stop when he writes in the book (and so he's fucked against any fast character, or character where time manipulation is actually part of their core ability set)... or he's potentially limited in what he can actually affect. For example in the previous comparison with Mario in Mario Marker, Maxwell can't actually select every object that exists in Scribblenauts... only objects that are intended to be manipulated by design. If he can't select the tractor that makes up part of the scenery, then what's to suggest he can select characters and objects that exist outside of his game entirely?

Hell, the whole point of the game in Unlimited is that he's doing shit to eventually remove a curse from his sister... but can't just do it himself immediately.

Wozman23

Anyone with psychic abilities, like Nick Scryer from Psi-Ops, could invade his mind and make him write 'dead Maxwell." He wouldn't even know he was sabotaging himself.

If we assume time stops when Maxwell writes, there are very very few characters who could even have a chance. All he has to do is apply "dead" to his opponent and be done with it. His main weakness in this case would be his hubris - Scribblenauts is all about solving problems creatively, so would Maxwell really be satisfied with that easy answer? The more he tries to play with his opponent, the more chances they have to get the notebook away from him.

Even if we assume Maxwell has to write in real time, which I believe cutscenes show, his competition would again be limited only to characters who can get to him before he can write a four letter word. So pretty much only characters who can teleport or stop time themselves.

Hmm... I think Shulk is more powerful considering what happens at the end of his game...
Maxwell and Shulk have almost the same power set: modification of the world they exist within. Both are throttled primarily by the question as to whether or not they can interact with beings outside of their world. Assuming they can, Maxwell could gain an edge due to having a time stop ability that Shulk never demonstrates.

Maxwell and Shulk have almost the same power set: modification of the world they exist within. Both are throttled primarily by the question as to whether or not they can interact with beings outside of their world. Assuming they can, Maxwell could gain an edge due to having a time stop ability that Shulk never demonstrates.

This is true but Shulk can read the future and change it. Maybe they will just get stuck in a stalemate?

Metal B

It never says it in the game, but i could see there be a limit in what Maxwell can create. For example as he creates God, it isn't really God. Since it would create a paradox and destroy the world. It's more likely, he creates his idea of god, which is a white old dude with a white beard. Also god isn't all might in the games and can't do anything specific, other then punch people.

So there has to be a limit to his power. Either there is cap, how powerful his creations can be, or the limit is his imagination. His version of God could only be as powerful as he thinks, a powerful being can be. All Maxwell can think of, is that God can punch really hard, and in context, those punches are nothing special. By comparison Goku can punch people so hard and fast, that you can't see his movement and it creates a loud sound. Maxwell's God doesn't come close to this.

So Maxwell can be beaten easily.

Crayolan

There are other characters out there which can will things into existence which could probably top him.

Characters with time manipulation abilities, super speed, or teleportation could probably take his notebook before he has the chance to use it as well.

It never says it in the game, but i could see there be a limit in what Maxwell can create. For example as he creates God, it isn't really God. Since it would create a paradox and destroy the world. It's more likely, he creates his idea of god, which is a white old dude with a white beard. Also god isn't all might in the games and can't do anything specific, other then punch people.

So there has to be a limit to his power. Either there is cap, how powerful his creations can be, or the limit is his imagination. His version of God could only be as powerful as he thinks, a powerful being can be. All Maxwell can think of, is that God can punch really hard, and in context, those punches are nothing special. By comparison Goku can punch people so hard and fast, that you can't see his movement and it creates a loud sound. Maxwell's God doesn't come close to this.

So Maxwell can be beaten easily.
Doesn't really matter what Maxwell can and can't summon when he can apply the "dead" adjective to anyone who he is fighting, though.

This is true but Shulk can read the future and change it. Maybe they will just get stuck in a stalemate?
Yeah that seems likely.

Two reality warpers get into a tussle. They quickly realize that neither of them will ever defeat the other, so they decide to play a game of chess instead. It quickly turns out both Maxwell and Shulk are very bad at chess.

Synth

If we assume time stops when Maxwell writes, there are very very few characters who could even have a chance. All he has to do is apply "dead" to his opponent and be done with it. His main weakness in this case would be his hubris - Scribblenauts is all about solving problems creatively, so would Maxwell really be satisfied with that easy answer? The more he tries to play with his opponent, the more chances they have to get the notebook away from him.

Even if we assume Maxwell has to write in real time, which I believe cutscenes show, his competition would again be limited only to characters who can get to him before he can write a four letter word. So pretty much only characters who can teleport or stop time themselves.

There are other characters that I don't think anything I know about Maxwell demonstrates an ability to deal with.

Invisible characters - Assuming Maxwell isn't omniscient (safe assumption), he would need to be able to identify any potential target.

Interdimensional characters - Pretty much the same deal as with invisibility, a character like Bayonetta could theoretically just sit in witch space watching and waiting until Maxwell isn't prepared to write anything, before coming back to wreck his shit.

The problem with OPs portrayel of Maxwell is that it appears to be a composite cherry-pick of canonical abilities, and those bestowed simply by being a game. It's arguable for example that nearly any videogame character possessed the ability to stop time, if you take into consideration how common this would be for item/equipment management... but it rightfully isn't normally attributed to the characters themselves. The portayal of Maxwell that the game provides by other means is a character that'd get wrecked by a rather large quantity of videogame characters.

Piers

Hmm... I think Shulk is more powerful considering what happens at the end of his game...

That's not specifically Shulk, though. He was simply given the choice on how Monado should reshape the universe at that point. It could of been anyone.

Shadic7700

The worst part about any matchup with Maxwell is that the opponent is unaware of Maxwell's powers at the start so there is literally nothing any normal opponent would be able to do since they wouldn't have the initiative.
Any opponent wouldn't even know that his powers come from the book or something, so that leaves the opponent acting to do something about the book/hand issue WHEN Maxwell does something with it that can logically mean he's bad news.
Unless of course Maxwell is an idiot and loudly declaim what he is doing every time.
Dead pool has his own game therefore his immunity and 4th wall breaks can help him win

There are other characters that I don't think anything I know about Maxwell demonstrates an ability to deal with.

Invisible characters - Assuming Maxwell isn't omniscient (safe assumption), he would need to be able to identify any potential target.

Interdimensional characters - Pretty much the same deal as with invisibility, a character like Bayonetta could theoretically just sit in witch space watching and waiting until Maxwell isn't prepared to write anything, before coming back to wreck his shit.

The problem with OPs portrayel of Maxwell is that it appears to be a composite cherry-pick of canonical abilities, and those bestowed simply by being a game. It's arguable for example that nearly any videogame character possessed the ability to stop time, if you take into consideration how common this would be for item/equipment management... but it rightfully isn't normally attributed to the characters themselves. The portayal of Maxwell that the game provides by other means is a character that'd get wrecked by a rather large quantity of videogame characters.
Fair points! I believe within Scribblenauts "invisible" characters are shown as outlines and can still be selected, so presumably the notebook gives Maxwell the ability to see them. Good point on interdimensional stuff, though. I doubt Maxwell could do much against someone who could beat him up from another plane of existence, since presumably they could warp there before he could finish writing their death.

And a good point on the powers thing, too. If we assume that the time freezing is a game construct - which is a very fair assumption! - we throttle Maxwell's abilities pretty significantly to "just" a slightly slow reality warper.

ScOULaris

I like the DC universe,
I played the ds version and I really liked it- it's hard to decided , what makes unlimited better (newer,more objects, words, missions?)
Unlimited just has a better structure and feels more cohesive with its story and world map/levels. Unmasked also has some little design niggles that add up to make it feel like an overall step down from its predecessor. It feels like a somewhat rushed cross-promotional game whereas Unlimited felt like the ultimate realization of the Scribblenauts concept.

That being said, the first two games on DS had the best level and puzzle designs.

Synth

Fair points! I believe within Scribblenauts "invisible" characters are shown as outlines and can still be selected, so presumably the notebook gives Maxwell the ability to see them. Good point on interdimensional stuff, though. I doubt Maxwell could do much against someone who could beat him up from another plane of existence, since presumably they could warp there before he could finish writing their death.

And a good point on the powers thing, too. If we assume that the time freezing is a game construct - which is a very fair assumption! - we throttle Maxwell's abilities pretty significantly to "just" a slightly slow reality warper.

You've actually just given me another consideration.

- Characters that are already dead.

Plum

Couldn't he just make "permanent, unbreakable glue" then stick the notebook to his arm or something? That way there's no possible way anyone can steal it.

You've actually just given me another consideration.

- Characters that are already dead.

"Stone _____"

Boom, cool Zombie statue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom