• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Phil Spencer actively hurting the Xbox brand at this point?

Is Phil Spencer hurting the Xbox brand at this point?

• Yes

Votes: 256 40.8%
  • No

Votes: 156 24.9%
  • I don't give a shit

Votes: 128 20.4%
  • Yes but I love it!

Votes: 87 13.9%

• Total voters

Zuzu

I don’t know. You’d have to do a representative survey of current and potential xbox customers to find out. But I think the biggest issue hurting their brand is simply the lack of consistent high quality first party games. The hardware and services are all good, but it’s the games that are lacking.

RickMasters

Phil Spencer living rent free at Gaf 🤣
You can say that again! It’s funny because outside of the gaf…… nobody gives a flying fuck.

People are not hung up on who runs the companies. I love iPhones but I’m hardly clinging on to every word Tim Cook says and making articles about it. And I’m sure he gets up to some underhanded things behind closed doors.

These recent documents are over a year old, and even then….. it’s neither here nor there.it’s business. People are suprised that executives are Machiavellian? This biz is worth a lot of money. Where money is involved things can bebcutthroat between competing companies.

People may say it’s wrong for MS to be so heavy handed with their financial advantages over Sony but let’s be honest? Who would do any different when you answer to a board of directors? I’m sure Sony would be more agreesive with their finances if they could. They had no problem with their role in consolidation in the music industry, so why would I feel sorry for them here? It’s just business and companies will flex their muscle over one another when and where it makes sense. There’s a thin line between ideology and naivety. Gamers jump between both with an almost teenage-like flippancy.

graywolf323

TheShocker
DeepEnigma
fun dreamworks GIF

Last edited:

Gojiira

He’s been hurting the brand since his small dick syndrome set in during the Xbox One Gen, as soon as he decided acquisitions and damaging competitors was the way to go that was it.
He’s an absolute scumbag taking Gaming down a path that could ruin it. That isnt hyperbole either for any doubters, monopoly leads to stagnation, complacency and they are already arrogant enough, add to that how shitely managed they are and its a recipe for another crash.
Nintendo will be fine of course but I dont want to lose Final Fantasy, or DMC or Resident Evil or Tomb Raider or Souls or God of War etc etc because Phil Spencer cant stop measuring his cock in millimetres…

RickMasters

They don't live in reality. Cult of personality vs. actual results.
well if the emails are anything to go by I think it’s obvious they know things are bad and needed to change. A process which I personally think they are making some reasonable progress on, but only time can really answer a lot of these questions. Games take time to make and change can’t happen over night. We don’t really know what challenges the Xbox division faced intensely when answering to guys like nadella. So I’d rather not assume too much, personally.

As for this whole cult of personality thing. The likes of timdog and that coltrain guy aside…Honestly I think PS fans on Twitter, YouTube (Dreamcast gamer for example can’t shut up about Phil) and the gaf talk way more about Phil than the average Xbox gamer. When I’m playing COd or halo, forza, destiny etc…… nobody is talking about Phil. I just never hear fanning for execs in my circles on Xbox. I dunno. I think it’s a thing more on the Twitter space and here. You have to be in really gamer-ish circles to even have those kinds of discussions or people just tel you to focus on the match and stop waffling. Because they don’t care who is running what. Most people don’t even care who is running their countries these days….. ain’t nobody really flying flags for company Exacs except a handful of man children with too many followers on Twitter.

The way some people talk about Phil on here I would swear he was Saturday morning cartoon villian. Some of the tales are a bit much. And I own an Xbox. I just don’t know where people find the energy for this. The ABK thread was exhausting enough! 😅

BlackTron

I don’t know. You’d have to do a representative survey of current and potential xbox customers to find out. But I think the biggest issue hurting their brand is simply the lack of consistent high quality first party games. The hardware and services are all good, but it’s the games that are lacking.
I think you're right the biggest problem is definitely games. In that situation though they need to be even smarter, not further nosedive their reputation through incessant insecure messaging over the problem.

It wouldn't be great for Sony to talk too much when it isn't necessary but even if they did, at least they have games. Phil is adding insult to his self-inflicted injury.

fallingdove

That's only a couple metrics, though. Console sales and Game Pass subs aren't the entire story. Isn't revenue up a lot? Xbox sells well on Steam and their GaaS games do pretty well. Game Pass should start growing again with a steady stream of games. I imagine Starfield already gave it a boost.
According to Phil, GamePass subscribers haven’t increased in 6 months or more and with all of the money Xbox have been spending on subsidies, acquisitions, and 1st party titles, revenue is a poor barometer for the health of the Xbox business.

rapid32.5

Wasting money left and right is hurting the brand, since 30+ new studios haven’t produced Halo CE of this gen. Ed Fries made better choices for Xbox in two years, than any Xbox executive up until today. Halo 1 and 2, Dead or Alive 3, Oddworld, PGR, Rally Sport Challenge, Fable, Obscure, Buffy, Outrun 2, Splinter Cell 1/2/3, JSRF, Ninja Garden, Panzer Dragon, Otogi.

Last edited:
Wasting money left and right is hurting the brand, since 30+ new studios haven’t produced Halo CE of this gen. Ed Fries made better choices for Xbox in two years, than any Xbox executive up until today. Halo 1 and 2, Dead or Alive 3, Oddworld, PGR, Rally Sport Challenge, Fable, Obscure, Buffy, Outrun 2, Splinter Cell 1/2/3, JSRF, Ninja Garden, Panzer Dragon, Otogi.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Nail on the headHe’s been hurting the brand since his small dick syndrome set in during the Xbox One Gen, as soon as he decided acquisitions and damaging competitors was the way to go that was it.
He’s an absolute scumbag taking Gaming down a path that could ruin it. That isnt hyperbole either for any doubters, monopoly leads to stagnation, complacency and they are already arrogant enough, add to that how shitely managed they are and it’s a recipe for another crash.
Nintendo will be fine of course but I dont want to lose Final Fantasy, or DMC or Resident Evil or Tomb Raider or Souls or God of War etc etc because Phil Spencer cant stop measuring his cock in millimetres…
Awesome Winner GIF by Biteable

VitoNotVito

To be fair he can't do it.
Xbox as a brand has got very little value or positive sentiment compared to Nintendo or PlayStation.

Riky

$MSFT
Considering what he took over I think he has done a solid job. Introduced the One X and Series X giving us the most powerful consoles.
Provided a service that is accessible to more than just console owners with Gamepass that generates billions of dollars a year.
Has a profitable division inside Microsoft so they are happy to invest further in the likes of Zenimax and Activision.
Has moved the first party line up back to the 360 days with an emphasis on the western RPG.
It all takes time but with the likes of Starfield, HI Fi Rush and Forza this year they are finally hitting the software groove.
So he's delivered, no doubt.

StueyDuck

eh... the thing about all this is they'll announce they are buying take 2 or someone in the next few months then everyone will act like he's jesus again

so i'm going with not giving a shit

You could replace Phil Spencer at Xbox with any number of qualified people and people would still be upset. I wouldn't say Xbox hds a particularly strong year, but unless you are a multiplatform gamer, it's not like each system has had insane output, to me it seems that all 3 of the big 3 had some very fun games on it

Whitecrow

Banned
Depends on if he is more than just PR and is actually in charge of some decisions. In that case I would say, absolutely.

odhiex

In my opinion, while I do have a personal preference for PlayStation over XBOX, I believe it's important for Microsoft to stay competitive in the console market, and their impact on the gaming industry is just as significant as Sony and Nintendo.

Additionally, I think Phil Spencer is doing an excellent job leading the XBOX brand, especially compared to those who held the position before him.

BbMajor7th

Introduced the One X and Series X giving us the most powerful consoles.
It's pretty clear from leaked emails that Phil had absolutely no hand in this. He was just as shocked as anyone about the extra TFs (having spent 12 hours pouring over Cerny's presentation) and even his own engineering had warned him that TFs were not a good metric so... the fact that you'd chalk this up to leadership, when even Phil doesn't, is weird.

Xbox doesn't need to out console Sony, it just needs to be successful. If at the end of the generation, Xbox sells 70-80 million, and Sony sells 120 million, it doesn't matter. It only matters to Sony fanboys who are looking for a win. Tencent makes billions and billions from gaming, and don't make a console.
MS is looking at a hybrid model of the old console buisness and the Tencent one.
Again, Phil's own emails dispute this. Going to your boss in fits of apoplexy over your belief you have the most powerful console of the coming generation and lamenting the seven years of hurt you've endured as the weaker console is definitely not the angle of someone with no interest in trying to 'out console Sony'.

Last edited:

yazenov

Honestly, as someone who didn't give a fuck about MS, I want someone as incompetent as Phil to run the Xbox division.

Let him stay as long as possible and run it to the ground with his delusions and incompetence. Replacing Phil with someone who knows what he is doing lies counters my interest. I want Xbox to go 3rd party and Phil is the fastest path to that scenario.

The Xbox fans who are defending him are shooting themselves in the foot and they don't even know it.

GymWolf

Not having bangers after bangers is hurting them.

Phil is just a foot note in the grande scheme of things.

If infinite, redfall and starfield were all 95MC you can bet the narrative against phil would be way different.

I can't even say for sure if it is phil fault for any of that when we have past receipts:

Arkane bleeding talents and not being nowhere near their usual level of quality with deathloop, it's not like we passed from dish2 to redfall...

343 were always mid at best, after halo 4 and 5 it was already crystal clear for anyone who doesn't have a cheif helmet up their ass, infinite was just their turd try with the halo franchise.

Bethesda has always made highly overrated, broke, unoptimized 7\10 on a good day games with shitty combat and writing, starfield just continued the tradition if you ask me.

FingerBang

Stonger as a brand?
It's basically non-existent in Asia, irrelevant in Europe and struggling in the US/UK (their strongest markets).
You guys are still focusing on console sales, and yet Xbox as a brand, in what it means, is bigger than ever. Game Pass and Xbox is on PC as well. I don't believe even for a second Xbox is worse now than the early Xbox One era, where the hardware was shit, the games were shit and the brand image was basically of a green turd.

So, yes, I think Xbox as a brand is now stronger than it used to be. It's selling fewer consoles than the competition and it has by far the worst console exclusives of the market, but I play more Xbox branded stuff now than ever.

Top Bottom