• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Pikmin 3 discontinued?

One of the big retailers here in Finland lists their received shipments on the product page and they just received a 25+ copies (no exact numbers for shipments of that size) last week. Though Nintendo games are distributed by Bergsala in the Nordic countries, so things could be a bit different here.

jfoul

$29.99 at Kmart if you get lucky. Should also be able to price match at Sears since it's the same company.

Edit: Also seeing Tropical Freeze, Wind Waker, and Wonderful 101 for $29.99. Looks like I'm going to visit some stores today.

It's okay. Even if it is OOP, I'm sure that Nintendo will let Gamestop sell a reprint run if secondhand prices get really high.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Yeah, it's easy to forget after getting used to DD gaming, but physical games go out of print all the time.

Good thing I picked Pikmin 3 as my free game with Mario Kart 8.
I missed that by 1 day, lol. I couldn't buy my Wii U any sooner. People were selling codes on GAF for $20. Oh well.

maxcriden

$29.99 at Kmart if you get lucky. Should also be able to price match at Sears since it's the same company.

Edit: Also seeing Tropical Freeze, Wind Waker, and Wonderful 101 for $29.99. Looks like I'm going to visit some stores today.

Hey, it's back up! Awesome. It was up previously but then removed. Yay! Good looking out, jfoul, thank you!

Like Lego City Undercover. I was interested in that if I could pick it up cheap but it looks more likely that it's just going to vanish and probably increase in price.

Thought about biting on a used copy from Best Buy but it's not available for shipping and not in any stores near here. Haven't seen it in store anywhere either.

Yea, I can see it being one that becomes difficult to track down. New Super Luigi U, Pikmin 3, Game and Wario, and some others are already either difficult to find or starting to be difficult to find.

As I mentioned previously, I doubt the big stores are in a hurry to re-order a lot of these titles as they likely had trouble selling through the initial shipments they received. With Nintendo offering the titles on the eShop at a higher profit margin, I can see this being a more frequent thing than previous systems, though you never know.

It's okay. Even if it is OOP, I'm sure that Nintendo will let Gamestop sell a reprint run if secondhand prices get really high.

Yea. The thing is it's not just GameStop. Other games have been receiving reprints and it's not just Gamestop. An example would be Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn. There are sealed copies that have 2007 trademark and some recent copies have shown up and have both a 2007 and 2014 trademark and it appears those aren't related to Gamestop.

I dunno about pikmin but I couldn't find wind waker hd almost anywhere in the UK. the only online sellers that had it in stock were on amazon for £40. Nowhere had it in retail stores either apart from Argos, who were selling it for the bargain price of £37.99. I'm not that bothered though, this will be my first zelda experience so it doesn't matter so much that it was full price :)

none of my kmarts (or any other retailers to try a pricematch) have them in stock save for gamestop so I'm trying the gamefly route

This. I happened to be running errands today but essentially covered a good chunk of my area (2 K-Marts, 2 Sears, 2 Best Buys, 2 Targets, 1 Wal-Mart) and nobody had a copy of Pikmin 3. Not only that, but there were no copies of The Wonderful 101 either.

Sears and K-Mart are particularly sad; their entire game areas are a barren wasteland.

The silver lining to all this (besides getting the errands done that I was supposed to do) is that I grabbed two black Wiimotes at one of the Sears stores for $10/pop.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
I just bought the last copy at the second Target I went in to today. Sixty Five dollars! Fuck.

Some buyer at Target is crafty. They're asking $50 for new copies of X-Men Destiny at my local one...

Korosenai

I bought it from best buy online on the 1st of december, still haven't gotten it yet. Pretty sure my order is in processing limbo as well.

This. I happened to be running errands today but essentially covered a good chunk of my area (2 K-Marts, 2 Sears, 2 Best Buys, 2 Targets, 1 Wal-Mart) and nobody had a copy of Pikmin 3. Not only that, but there were no copies of The Wonderful 101 either.

Sears and K-Mart are particularly sad; their entire game areas are a barren wasteland.

The silver lining to all this (besides getting the errands done that I was supposed to do) is that I grabbed two black Wiimotes at one of the Sears stores for $10/pop.

If you're looking for wonderful 101, I think target.com and walmart.com have them for $30

So I found a better used deal for Pikmin 3. If your gamestop has a used copy you can use this birthday coupon for 20% off and then use the $5 off Kongregate coupon. I walked out today with Pikmin 3 for $38.99+tax

V28Vz2A.png

http://m.kongregate.com/pages/coupon

stuminus3

This is why those Pikmin movies they made recently confuse me. Why make movies about a video game that's out of print and hard to find? Nintendo are weird.

Glad I got this at release. Waited 10 years for it. Happiest videogame hours of my life.

WolfeTone

I was very lucky and found a new copy of Pikmin in EB games in Vancouver today! Paid full price for it even though it's a 2 year old game, but I'm delighted to have found a copy of the game on disc. Very excited to play it!

Got my copy from gamestop earlier this week for $40 after using some rewards points for a coupon. I think I own literally every Nintendo published Wii U boxed game now.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Stop. I was trying to get my best buy gamers club card before ordering that. -_^

Grief.exe

Maybe I will just go try and price match Pikmin 3 at Target or Best Buy. I wasn't planning on buying the game this soon, but I don't want it to disappear entirely.

No stock on my local craigslist either.

Wonderful 101 will ring up for $6 at Kmart by the way...if you can find it.

sphinx

the piano man
no matter how many times this thread gets updated and tries to scare me, the reality in EU PAL-land is that the game is readily available from the usual online retailers, like it has always been since the beginning.

Already have Pikmin 3, but I know Bayonetta 2 will start to be a hard find in 6 months. TW101 I still seem to be able to find ok, so then again I could be wrong.

no matter how many times this thread gets updated and tries to scare me, the reality in EU PAL-land is that the game is readily available from the usual online retailers, like it has always been since the beginning.

absolutely untrue, i'm from the UK and i noticed it was going on amazon and ebay for about £55-70 about 2 months ago,and plently of people were buying at this price.
I investigated and found out that nobody online had copies available, they were all sold out.
only a few weeks ago did amazon update their listing stating they expected new stock to arrive mid-late December, all the other online retailers either stated out of stock or changed their listing to say back-order.
I think Nintendo sent a new shipment out in the last week or so, hence why it's now easily available online again, but for quite a while it was no-where to be found and was being sold for crazy prices.
I've no doubt in my mind that pikmin 3, just like the second game on gamecube will end up being hard to find, both titles deserve far more credit than they received at launch.

It might be easy to find online now in the UK, but that only changed in the last week or so.
Before that it was no-where to be found and people were taking advantage of that with crazy asking prices of £50-70 and people were happy to pay.

Jobbs

Banned
if you rent it from gamefly they still have a "keep it" option which means you'd get the unused case/manual and it's therefore sorta like buying a new copy.

GUN-NAC

absolutely untrue, i'm from the UK and i noticed it was going on amazon and ebay for about £55-70 about 2 months ago,and plently of people were buying at this price.

Huh. Doing a UK SOLD items search on ebay shows the highest price to have been 2 new copies at £49.99 (that listing was then hiked up to £99, then ended) and two other listings at £44.99 and £42. Everything else sold at below £40.

Results go back to 22-Sep 19:40.

sphinx

the piano man
I investigated and found out that nobody online had copies available, they were all sold out.
only a few weeks ago did amazon update their listing stating they expected new stock to arrive mid-late December, all the other online retailers either stated out of stock or changed their listing to say back-order.
I think Nintendo sent a new shipment out in the last week or so, hence why it's now easily available online again, but for quite a while it was no-where to be found and was being sold for crazy prices.
I've no doubt in my mind that pikmin 3, just like the second game on gamecube will end up being hard to find, both titles deserve far more credit than they received at launch.

It might be easy to find online now in the UK, but that only changed in the last week or so.
Before that it was no-where to be found and people were taking advantage of that with crazy asking prices of £50-70 and people were happy to pay.

31 new copies at 34'99 euros, new in the german amazon.

Even cheaper on ebay.

ozfunghi

Seriously ? Fuck,i'm picking up a Wii U in January and this was one of my most hyped games,and it's already discontinued.

This is not directed at you, but your post reminds me of the first year in WiiU's life (when Pikmin 3 actually released) when many gaffers were advising other gaffers to "wait" because "Nintendo" and the price would come down. I hope all those who waited, and and were so smug in seeing the console falter (because price drops were always eminent and given the self-fullfilling prophecy of "no userbase = no 3rd party) are now kicking themselves in the head because they can't find retail copies of superb games like Pikmin3 anymore.

GUN-NAC

This is not directed at you, but your post reminds me of the first year in WiiU's life (when Pikmin 3 actually released) when many gaffers were advising other gaffers to "wait" because "Nintendo" and the price would come down. I hope all those who waited, and and were so smug in seeing the console falter (because price drops were always eminent and given the self-fullfilling prophecy of "no userbase = no 3rd party) are now kicking themselves in the head because they can't find retail copies of superb games like Pikmin3 anymore.

Well, they could have waited till the MK8 free game deal. That was pretty good, even if it's digital only.

Let's see what availability is like in the new year and not just before Christmas, before kicking yourself in the head.

if you rent it from gamefly they still have a "keep it" option which means you'd get the unused case/manual and it's therefore sorta like buying a new copy.

yes but its $44.99+tax+shipping. For me that ended up being around $53, I decided to go the gamestop using coupons route instead cause it was cheaper

th4tguy

It's on their online store right now, so you don't have to be lucky.

Edit: nevermind, it's in store pickup only right now

Lucky for me I bought a new copy of Pikmin 3 a few days ago at a one of the local Super Stores where I worked at. It was hard to find a new game as some of the stores didn't have any in stock. There are a few used copies at some of the Gamestops here, but I wanted a new game. Thanks for the info about the game.

Animekatt

I'm so glad I didn't trade in my copy of Pikmin 3 to Target when they were doing the triple credit trade ins. Looking at the prices, I'm also glad I have a sealed Luigi U and Kirby's Return to Dreamland.

I would suggest people go pick up Captain Toad and the NES Remix. Already on Best Buy, there was only one store that had the NES Remix in stock for store pick up in my area. You can still order it for shipping though.

I'm so glad I didn't trade in my copy of Pikmin 3 to Target when they were doing the triple credit trade ins. Looking at the prices, I'm also glad I have a sealed Luigi U and Kirby's Return to Dreamland.

I would suggest people go pick up Captain Toad and the NES Remix. Already on Best Buy, there was only one store that had the NES Remix in stock for store pick up in my area. You can still order it for shipping though.

Looks like Wii Sports Club is also one that's getting a little harder to find.

Az987

all good things
I think Luigi U is oop too. It was up on bestbuy.com a week or so ago but not now and the only store I could find it at locally was a little mom and pop shop.

IISANDERII

Fuck this.

A huge part of the appeal of getting a new system is getting all the old games for cheap.

I guess Nintendo feels that they can make more money by keeping game prices high. I wonder how that's working out for them.

Placing a hold for a local gamestop in my area. Soon as I get my confirmation email, I'm heading over there with the birthday coupon.

Top Bottom