• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Pikmin 3 discontinued?

But they just released a demo, what do you think was going to happen? I buy physical because I don't want to fill up my Wii U's limited space.

majik13

For 60 bucks.

Which is standard Nintendo fare, but still.

yeah pretty standard for Nintendo. It's worth that price regardless.

I always feel confident paying premium full prices for Nintendo games, as they almost never go on sale, or reduce the price.(unless you somehow find it used) And they are polished and will work day 1.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Good thing I picked Pikmin 3 as my free game with Mario Kart 8.

I am a freaking idiot. I purchased a code from someone, then sold it.

I used the money towards Mario 3D World and DKC Tropical Freeze

... So it was a bad move because I'll never find Pikmin 3 digital on that kind of sale again. :(

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
yeah pretty standard for Nintendo. It's worth that price regardless.

I always feel confident paying premium full prices for Nintendo games, as they almost never go on sale, or reduce the price.(unless you somehow find it used) And they are polished and will work day 1.

That's why I purchase Nintendo games digital. I never feel like the game I just bought is going to be worthless in a bargain bin 6 months from now...

Glass Joe

Weird. They just released a demo and new short movies. I wonder if that just actually boosted sales and Nintendo's been slow to restock.

LOCK

Nintendo probably is selling out due to the holidays.

I expect a continued small shipment every once in a while.

Or the demo and the movies did wonders.

Sanjay

I just tried a search for Pikmin 3.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?cli...d=opera&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8#q=Pikmin+3&tbm=shop

Its telling me to get Mario Kart instead.

I can find it for about £30 new in the UK. There must be a new copy left somewhere in the US, no?

tumblr_mcspb0ZJ3C1qfqdfr.gif

Petrie

Banned
If copes cost so mcuh I suppose this is one WiiU game I won't end up playing.

This guy doesn't pay retail price, let alone over retail!

I'll have to check my local BB and see fi I can nab it with GCU discount.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
It wouldn't be a Pikmin game if the price didn't eventually go up.

Just checked and Best Buy doesn't have any in stores near me either. Don't recall seeing it in stores anywhere recently but I haven't really looked for it, and don't really go to places like Sears of Kmart (nobody else does either, so I guess that might be the best place to find it).

I can find it for about £30 new in the UK. There must be a new copy left somewhere in the US, no?

i would hope you can back up this claim as i've searched high and wide in the uk and nobody has any in stock, the very few online retailers that say they do have any let you get through checkout only to tell you it's on back order.
If you really can find it for £30 so easily i suggest you get your ass on ebay immediately, you can make some easy money.
It's been going for up to £60 on ebay and amazon, it's the same situation as pikmin 2 on the gamecube, ignored by most people and then suddenly a surge in interest only to find out the game is crazy expensive.

ironcreed

Banned
Yeah, I noticed it is expensive. Which is not uncommon for a niche game. But the Wii U is amazingly underrated in general. There you go.

GUN-NAC

UK copies £35 new on ebay and Play (lol at the two price gougers there). Slightly more expensive at amazon from the same seller.

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze is also sold out at Game and Zavvi, and I don't see anyone saying that's gone forever. Just wait for a better deal, even if it's after Christmas.

welp im gonna try the free gamefly trial then do the "keep it" option, seems like the cheapest way to get a used copy for me (closest best buy that has it in stock is 30+ miles away...)

welp im gonna try the free gamefly trial then do the "keep it" option, seems like the cheapest way to get a used copy for me (closest best buy that has it in stock is 30+ miles away...)

That's what I've done for a few games in the past. The disc should be in good-great condition since it's a blu, and the case/inserts will be brand new. IIRC you have to wait for the disc to ship before you can buy it; they'll ship the case separately.

That's what I've done for a few games in the past. The disc should be in good-great condition since it's a blu, and the case/inserts will be brand new. IIRC you have to wait for the disc to ship before you can buy it; they'll ship the case separately.

Yeah that's what i was planning to do, was looking to see what else was on there lol. Here's hoping they dont ship anything else in my q first, choose some "very low" other games trying to be safe haha

Yeah that's what i was planning to do, was looking to see what else was on there lol. Here's hoping they dont ship anything else in my q first, choose some "very low" other games trying to be safe haha

I put just the one game I wanted till it shipped, then added more to rent during the trial.

No joke, I preordered Pikmin 3, New Super Mario Bros U, and Assassin's Creed 3 (sigh) along with my Wii U when the system first went up for preorder. Nearly one year later, I got my copy of Pikmin 3 on Day 1 and I'm holding on to that sucker until I die. Even before Wii U came out, I had a feeling that it would become a rare game like Pikmin 2. Speaking of which, I got an unboxed Pikmin 2 from GameStop years after release, because someone sold it to them in the Pikmin 1 box and they didn't notice!

Moral of the story: some series, you just got to get them while they're hot. Or get lucky later on.

Sweet gonna hang onto my launch copies of all 3 games real tight now!

Do you guys think Tropical Freeze will become rare? I was just looking at it yesterday for something to play over Christmas with mates. Might go grab it from Jb Hifi now if so.

Blues1990

Weird. They just released a demo and new short movies. I wonder if that just actually boosted sales and Nintendo's been slow to restock.

It wouldn't surprise me. A bunch of small girls & young couples at my local Best Buy were picking up copies of the game, citing the shorts &/or the demo being influential for purchasing the full game. And I'm glad, as the Pikmin series needs more love.

With all games available via the eShop I have a feeling this will be a common trend with Nintendo for Wii U games. Retailers aren't knocking down Nintendo's door to get more physical copies and Nintendo ensures people can still actively purchase the game while maximizing profit.

I have a sealed copy and also got it digitally thanks to MK8 :)

I wanted to pick this up this weekend when I bought a Wii U, unfortunately it doesn't exist any more. Oh well. Maybe if they do a reissue I'll check it out, but that's not likely at all so I just assume I won't ever play it.

..........Or just download it from the eShop. It's not hard. Better than never playing it, no?

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
..........Or just download it from the eShop. It's not hard. Better than never playing it, no?

Nope. It's not. I'd rather not play one of many games that I'll never play than buy into the worst digital marketplace on the planet.

I already choose to buy physical over digital except in cases of extreme discounts, but there is no way I'm putting any money into Nintendo's shop until they fix their shit.

Yrael

Well, the digital version isn't going anywhere :p

Yeah, but it was free! :D

(I usually don't get digital copies of big games, as they're so expensive compared to the bargains that can often be found in-store - the only ones I have are Pikmin 3 and MH3U.)

prateeko

Seriously ? Fuck,i'm picking up a Wii U in January and this was one of my most hyped games,and it's already discontinued.

I was surprised I had trouble finding sealed copies of Luigi and Wario for Wii U (had to go on eBay). I think it's because it's easy for them to keep up digital sales. Lesser known titles will probably only be widely available for 12-16 months is my guess. With decreasing revenue or losses associated with the Wii U's poor sales I imagine Nintendo is more conservative with print runs

cantona222

Interesting. So can someone predict games that were released recently and are going to be discontinued soon? I remember a similar thread about the same thing happening to
Kirby's Return to Dream Land

I was surprised I had trouble finding sealed copies of Luigi and Wario for Wii U (had to go on eBay). I think it's because it's easy for them to keep up digital sales. Lesser known titles will probably only be widely available for 12-16 months is my guess. With decreasing revenue or losses associated with the Wii U's poor sales I imagine Nintendo is more conservative with print runs

Agree. Add to that retail stores are in no hurry to restock a year+ old game that was probably tough to sell through originally and I can see why.

There are actually a few Wii U games that are already getting tough to find in person.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Agree. Add to that retail stores are in no hurry to restock a year+ old game that was probably tough to sell through originally and I can see why.

There are actually a few Wii U games that are already getting tough to find in person.

Like Lego City Undercover. I was interested in that if I could pick it up cheap but it looks more likely that it's just going to vanish and probably increase in price.

Thought about biting on a used copy from Best Buy but it's not available for shipping and not in any stores near here. Haven't seen it in store anywhere either.

Picked up a used copy from GameStop yesterday morning. Game is a lot of fun to play using the gamepad, and my god it's beautiful!

Interesting. So can someone predict games that were released recently and are going to be discontinued soon? I remember a similar thread about the same thing happening to
Kirby's Return to Dream Land

I don't even collect anymore, and I'm still salty about missing out on Return to Dream Land. Managed to score the Dream Collection at least.

Top Bottom