• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Pikmin 3 discontinued?

IISANDERII

30707590.jpg

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Screw it, I just bought the game for my daughter from the eShop. She LOVES the game, my 2 year old loves watching it. Although, she calls the game "Pac-man" instead of "Pik-men". lol

It really sucks though that it's OOP because I just bought Best Buy GCU today, and they don't have it... same for NES Remix. Doesn't even show up on their website.

Glass Joe

Just a thought I had... This is a strange game to be disappearing off store shelves. The demo is quite recent, the short movies just came out, and even the patch that added touch screen controls is fairly new (wasn't it Summer-ish?).

Reminds me of Metroid Prime 3 last gen. I wonder if they're gonna unveil a similar Pikmin Trilogy in 2015. Hopefully with the ability to buy Pikmin 1 & 2 HD separate in the eShop for a good price.

I think Luigi U is oop too. It was up on bestbuy.com a week or so ago but not now and the only store I could find it at locally was a little mom and pop shop.

Yea, Luigi U is but it was announced as a limited retail release, iirc. Since it's essentailly DLC they only planned to release it at retail for a short time. I may be remembering wrong though.

Edit: If you look at the 3DS you see a similar trend with some early 3DS titles apparently also OOP. Kid Icarus, Star Fox 64, Pokemon Mystery Dungeons Gates to Infinity, etc... With digital distribution ensuring these games are available to download I can see this trend continuing.

I remember the BX on base having a good amount of copies of Pikmin 3 so I decided to stop by there and see if I can snag one. Sadly they were all gone, so was Super Luigi U and all the good amiibos. The Wii U is selling pretty good here due to new releases and the holidays, possibly even more than the PS4s or Xbox Ones.

Malcolm9

Managed to pick this up from CEX online for £28, and it was the last one left.

Even better was the fact that it is in perfect condition and still has that new smell in the box considering it is second hand.

I'm trying to pick up all these decent Nintendo exclusives, Bayonetta 1 & 2 are next on my radar.

Korosenai

So I ordered this game along with Hyrle Warriors on the 1st. Three weeks later, they still had not shipped. I contacted best buy customer support and then three days later, which is today, they said they will re ship my items.... Except they are only shipping Hyrule warriors. Now I'll probably never get Pikmin and my card was already charged for it as well. This is a mess.

Fox Mulder

I want to get into this series, should I start with pikmin 3 or play the others?

I know there's Wii control versions, but I also still have a GC lying around.

I want to get into this series, should I start with pikmin 3 or play the others?

You can start with pikmin 3, as I don't think it matters too much, but they're all great games and worth playing.

maxcriden

So I ordered this game along with Hyrle Warriors on the 1st. Three weeks later, they still had not shipped. I contacted best buy customer support and then three days later, which is today, they said they will re ship my items.... Except they are only shipping Hyrule warriors. Now I'll probably never get Pikmin and my card was already charged for it as well. This is a mess.

Keep at it; make sure they refund you. This is definitely something they should be able to fix for you. Sorry to hear it, man.

Stopdoor

Yeah, they're all worth playing, it might be best to start with the first one because the mechanics have slight improvements with each game, but really any order is probably fine.

Control-wise the Wiimote works great, but I never had a problem with the Gamecube controls.

You could probably just start with Pikmin 3. Really the only thing that would be needed is pre-knowledge of Olimar and Louie who play into the later part of the game.

I started with Pikmin 2 with those Wii Play versions so you could probably hunt that one down and have some fun. Pikmin 3 is much better in my opinion though.

mrmickfran

Got it at Gamestop for $55. I figured that would be the best price at this point.

Although, it was in the generic GS case :( Anybody know where I can get a printable version of the cover art, with the spine and everything?

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Pre-owned Pikmin 3 was available for shipping on Best Buy for $34.99. Came up to $42.44 with tax/standard shipping. Fingers crossed.

Man good find, it doesn't show up as shipping right now. Hopefully you managed to snag a copy.

I ended up just buying it on eShop for full price, well worth it. I recommend it to anyone who can't find a physical copy.

Mrmartel

Banned
Just picked-up a copy at my local walmart! Last one too. It was behind glass on the Nintendo shelf. It had just the side title label showing and was mixed amongst shovel ware games. Thank god for my 20/20 vision!

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
Why is Pikmin 3 so hard to find? Yeaaayaaaaaaaa, let's go NoA!

giphy.gif

Whis is Ocarina of Time 3D out of print in the Americas with the release of Majora's Mask coming in a few weeks? Yeaaayaaaaaaaa, let's go NoA!

giphy.gif

Hip Hop

So what's Nintendo's strategy here, because its pretty clear they have something going on with yanking all of their releases soon after they go on sale.

javac

So what's Nintendo's strategy here, because its pretty clear they have something going on with yanking all of their releases soon after they go on sale.

I'm not going to come up with some conspiracy theory about how Nintendo wants people to buy off the eShop...but I think it's clear that these games aren't really flying off the shelves or getting Wii U's out there, so the physical releases are almost like advertisements for the system, so it's not totally invisible. No point printing loads when you can get a few out there, and and then just let people get them off the eShop when needs be. Maybe we'll see a selects line down the line, but I doubt it.

entremet

To be fair, the game is more than 2 years old.

Even though Nintendo does have an evergreen strategy with some games, Pikmin 3 wasn't exactly a huge seller, so like most retail goods, they stopped printing it.

But it does seem people expect all Nintendo stuff to be in retail shelves forever. That's simply not the case. The games need to sell for that to be true, which is why you saw Brawl and MKWii on shelves for years. Those games consistently sold at brisk paces

Qblivion

Ocarina of Time, one of Nintendo's most popular games is also out of print on 3DS. Used copies go for around $70-80.

Fucking ridiculous.

For reference, the n64 version sold 7.6 million, and the 3ds version 3.3 million. As far as I can tell Pikmin 3 never broke 1 million.

Ocarina of Time, one of Nintendo's most popular games is also out of print on 3DS. Used copies go for around $70-80.

Fucking ridiculous.
A lot of people are just jumping into 3DS ownership now too, and arguably the best game on the system is no longer available.

It is clear that Nintendo just wants you to buy their games off the eShop. More profit for them.

The system is exactly setting the world on fire, so retail space is rather limited. Also, I really doubt retailers are champing at the bit to place large orders for games. The combination of these two factors lead to the current situation where physical copies of games for the Wii U and/or 3DS are given smaller production runs and fewer reprints.

Qblivion

A lot of people are just jumping into 3DS ownership now too, and arguably the best game on the system is no longer available.

It is clear that Nintendo just wants you to buy their games off the eShop. More profit for them.

Majora's Mask is better, and still in stock (for now) :p

Aiustis

Even though Nintendo does have an evergreen strategy with some games, Pikmin 3 wasn't exactly a huge seller, so like most retail goods, they stopped printing it.

But it does seem people expect all Nintendo stuff to be in retail shelves forever. That's simply not the case. The games need to sell for that to be true, which is why you saw Brawl and MKWii on shelves for years. Those games consistently sold at brisk paces

I'm of this opinion. It wasn't even a rare game to find until the end of 2014. That gave anyone who really wanted a physical copy plenty of time to buy one.

entremet

At least the eShop is a thing for those who just wanna play the games and aren't collectors.

Return to Dreamland is another super expensive Nintendo game, but that is poised to get a Wii U digital release--it already has in Europe.

KingV

I was able to find one at K Mart in red oak Iowa, about a month ago along with NSLU. They had 3-4 more copies of both. They are probably still there. Small ass town

NateDog

Seen a few copies locally where I live, although it being Gamestop "new" puts me off, but the price is reasonable so I shouldn't complain. Quick question, should I play the first two before this? I want to get this first at least to avoid missing out on it.

The game will be 4 years old in a couple of months. I mean, I'm sure it would be in NoA's best interest to print more copies and sell them again, but you can't expect 3+ years old games to be readily available on every storeshelf .

jariw

Seen a few copies locally where I live, although it being Gamestop "new" puts me off, but the price is reasonable so I shouldn't complain. Quick question, should I play the first two before this? I want to get this first at least to avoid missing out on it.

Pikmin 3 feels like a completely standalone game. I have only played Pikmin 3, and never felt there even were references to the previous games (apparently there were). Amazing game.

jariw

Pikmin 3 was first released in July 2013, which isn't more than 2 years ago.

Bleeether

what's weird is i found a brand new sealed copy at my local Wal-mart a few weeks ago. I instantly bought it and traded it up for something really nice

GDGF

Soothsayer
Grabbed a used copy from Gamestop for 55 bucks a few days ago. Was surprised to see it complete. Even had the Club Nintendo flyer/rewards points inside :)

jariw

It's also on the wii U title as a relatively niche game. The print run is not going to be very big for a system that just doesn't have a big install base

You could as easily argue that the strategy to have Pikmin 3 out of print now contradicts the strategy regarding the Pikmin franchise that Miyamoto outlined to the investors in October 2014.

Dunkley

I recently got it for 24€ at a Retro games store, feeling really lucky about that because I could not find a new copy anywhere.

Pikmin 3 feels like a completely standalone game. I have only played Pikmin 3, and never felt there even were references to the previous games (apparently there were). Amazing game.

Not sure if you're joking about the references or if you just never completed the game, but I agree on that you don't need the previous two to enjoy it.

Mohonky

Its a Nintendo game so theres no real complex story going on, its not like you're going to miss key elements of some sort of chronological story.

Honestly I felt Pikmin 3 was the best of the bunch and you can absolutely go in having never played the other 2. I suppose having played the original on the Gamecube made me jump in with a pretty good idea of what to do but it had been so long even I still need a refresher on what to do.

I havent tried the new stylus controls as they werent in when I played the game, but I can say using the wii mote was so damn easy to use.

Pikmin 3 is a brilliant game. Very inventive, clever and you'll grow so attached to your pikmin you'll scream in horror as the little bastards become snacks for the enemies in the environment.

If you ever see it available, just buy it.

The game will be 4 years old in a couple of months. I mean, I'm sure it would be in NoA's best interest to print more copies and sell them again, but you can't expect 3+ years old games to be readily available on every storeshelf .

I could walk into Target right now and buy most of the 3DS launch games brand new, no problem. These games are even older than Ocarina of Time 3D.

Like I said, Ocarina of Time 3D is the #1 rated game on the entire system. The demand for the game is still high.

Ocarina of Time 3D is currently sitting at around $103 new + shipped.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003O6E800/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Nintendo believes in Evergreen titles, but if the tree doesn't grow tall in a year or so, I guess they chop it down.

Was Player's Choice so bad?

Edit: Actually, considering it happens to popular titles too, as mentioned above, sales don't even seem to be the singular factor.

jfoul

I got lucky and found a new copy at K-Mart for $29.99 in December. It's remained sealed because it goes for $79.99-$99.99 new.

Top Bottom