• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Rockstar the one developer that hasn't been effected by progressive politics

Yup, they have been but it was never done in a forced manner and they never made a big deal out of it. They always had minorities in their games where it actually made a lot of sense or when they had a really cool story to tell like in the Ballad of Gay Tony. It never felt like a checklist to avoid getting scolded by the regressives in games journalism.

I remember last E3 where A way out, Wolfenstein 2, Mafia 3, Beyond Good and Evil 2, Uncharted Lost Legacy all basically had the exact same "super diverse and inclusive" character in their video games, a sassy black woman that doesn't take shit from anyone with a big afro.

2lau2di.png

LOL yeah that really is the go to for 'diversity'

Mr Branding

Good for them. They get a lot of flack recently but I still believe they are the best open-world game dev ever and their output from a narrative point of view is ahead of the times while still feeling grounded.
I feel GTA V stepped a bit in the wrong direction but I get why they did it. Gta 3 and 4 radio satire is brilliant as is Bully's story and even if it's more on the serious side, RDR's story is in my opinion the best story in a videogame.
Can't wait to see what the future brings for them but I'm confident they will never be affected by left or right side shenanigans.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
In fact, they are exactly the opposite.

The GTA series is the most hated series by most of the left-leaning crowd in both traditional media....

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/w...s-designed-deliberately-to-degrade-women.html

...and game media.

https://www.polygon.com/2014/12/10/7364823/gta-5s-vicious-misogyny-ought-to-be-addressed-not-ignored

You sure those represent "left-leaning crowds" of media? I remember many video game media sites loving GTA 5 and GTA 4.

Enygger_Tzu

Banned
You sure those represent "left-leaning crowds" of media? I remember many video game media sites loving GTA 5 and GTA 4.

That is why I said "left-leaning". No one else would take offense over pixelated violence, no matter where it is directed towards, it has been part of the gaming culture since the beginning.

Redshirt

Banned
I mean... Yeah, that's not true. We've had right-leaning groups speaking out against "pixelated violence" just recently.

As for that Polygon article, that's a blast from the past.

Forgot all about the guy who hatcheted a prostitute in the game in order to criticize violence against prostitutes in GTA.

IzzyThePush

Neo Member
lol, fucking no. Rockstar censored GTA Vice City. "Kill the Haitians!" Plus, Rockstar's whole shctick is to be "alpha" despite making mediocre games that 14-year olds buy. Rockstar are the definition of "edgelord."

MomsNewBoyfriend

Neo Member
My opinion is don't try to find a round peg in a square hole. I wouldn't expect Nintendo to have the slightest clue about heavy themes like racism, war, poverty, sexuality, etc. so to demand it from their games just for the sake of representation is absurd. Even with good intentions the end result never works if the creators themselves don't have first hand experience with it. Latest example being Naughty Dog- are the lead character designers lesbian? If not why would you want representation of a marginalized group coming from a group of suits. It's a catch 22- if sexuality is just a character trait and not a core theme to the game it just screams marketing quota fill but if it is central to the game then those represented are going to be disappointed/outraged with what they get.

Rockstar are good at satire, but their open world style of game is not suited to nuanced perspectives- see GTA IV for its clumsy handling on the challenges of immigration and eastern europeans

Mister Apoc

Demigod of Troll Threads
lol, fucking no. Rockstar censored GTA Vice City. "Kill the Haitians!" Plus, Rockstar's whole shctick is to be "alpha" despite making mediocre games that 14-year olds buy. Rockstar are the definition of "edgelord."
mediocre games that usually average 95 on metacritic

mediocre games, like GTA V which happens to be the 3rd highest selling game ever and the most profitable entertainment product ever

if thats mediocre, then i want to be mediocre

mediocre games, like GTA V which happens to be the 3rd highest selling game ever and the most profitable entertainment product ever

To be fair, GTAV gameplay is very mediocre. Still a great experience though.

Ulysses 31

Can't say I've seen much, if any, identity politics in Nintendo games either, at in least the Marios and Zeldas.

Last edited:

IzzyThePush

Neo Member

The Thing was a box office bomb. Blade Runner was a box office bomb. Just because something does or doesn't not make money means absolutely nothing. Blade Runner was also a critical nightmare. So was Alien. 95 on metacritic means absolutely nothing. Financial returns mean absolutely nothing. Or, do you think that Starman is a better movie than Alien? They are both alien flicks, came out around the same time, but only one of those movies made millions. You would pick Starman?

Enygger_Tzu

Banned
The Thing was a box office bomb. Blade Runner was a box office bomb. Just because something does or doesn't not make money means absolutely nothing. Blade Runner was also a critical nightmare. So was Alien. 95 on metacritic means absolutely nothing. Financial returns mean absolutely nothing. Or, do you think that Starman is a better movie than Alien? They are both alien flicks, came out around the same time, but only one of those movies made millions. You would pick Starman?

I do not wish to imply that sales are an accurate gauge of a medium's quality, however, I believe it is a gauge that can determine the fan reception and/or costumer satisfaction.

Remember: "SUCCESS COMES MOST SWIFTLY AND COMPLETELY NOT TO THE GREATEST OR PERHAPS EVEN TO THE ABLEST MEN, BUT TO THOSE WHOSE GIFTS ARE MOST COMPLETELY IN HARMONY WITH THE TASTE OF THEIR TIMES."

Hence why (perceived or not) mediocre games, such as Skyrim and/or COD have such strong sales and dedicated fanbases while games that are considered gems like BloodBorne and/or Divinity: Original Sin are not anywhere close, sales-wise.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

So what you are saying is that there's literally no way to know if something is good or not. How is this possible to think?

NahaNago

I'd say that it is still too early to tell. Wait until the next gta comes out. The last gta came out only a few months after anita's videos came out and a lot has changed in the video game, comics, and movie industry since then.

IzzyThePush

Neo Member
So what you are saying is that there's literally no way to know if something is good or not. How is this possible to think?

You have such a high-value on yourself to think that what "you think" matters? Plot twist: it don't. What I think doesn't matter either. However, this thread is about progressive politics affecting Rockstar, which is wrong. They censored GTA Vice City after release.

Cactuarman

Banned
The GTA series is the most hated series by most of the left-leaning crowd in both traditional media....

The most-hated? Seriously? And to back this up you use two articles that I think a large portion of the "left-leaning crowd" would disagree with.

Polygon gave GTAV a 9.5. They can be pretty left-leaning with their op-eds but I don't think that's evidence that GTA is the "most hated series."

That is why I said "left-leaning". No one else would take offense over pixelated violence, no matter where it is directed towards, it has been part of the gaming culture since the beginning.

No one else? I think you'll find plenty of groups on both sides of the aisle who have opposed violence and sexuality in video games over the years. Maybe don't try to make this subject any more polarized than it already is.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/w...s-designed-deliberately-to-degrade-women.html

...and game media.

https://www.polygon.com/2014/12/10/7364823/gta-5s-vicious-misogyny-ought-to-be-addressed-not-ignored

You can have a seat with your alternate facts.

In reality, rather than what you made up in our head, Jack Thompson, the enemy of games like GTA, was a staunch conservative.

During his opposition to Howard Stern, Thompson was asked in an interview with a reporter if, by his standards, he would blame Christianity for the murders committed by Michael Hernandez, a fourteen-year-old who murdered one of his classmates in 2004, because Hernandez wrote a diary in which he constantly spoke about praying to God. Thompson replied, "The Bible doesn't promote killing innocent people, Grand Theft Auto does. Islam does." Thompson then expanded his comments in the same interview by saying, "Islam promotes the killing of innocent people. The Quran requires the infidel, whether Jew or Christian, to be killed. ... That's a core essence of the religion. ... Muhammad was a pirate who killed infidels and who advocated the killing of infidels—not a nice guy. Osama bin Laden is in keeping with his fine tradition."

A little Islamophobia in there too for good measure.

Mister Apoc

Demigod of Troll Threads
makes you think if there are going to be people complaining that Dutch's gang in RDR 2 is mostly white men?

red_dead_redemption_2-3.jpg

Last edited:

I wouldn't go that far but I definitely think their games get far too much credit.

They're very good, don't get me wrong.

They just don't strike me as something profound.

The new religion of identity politics is really taking over videogames.

Tell me if you really did read the article before I blow your post up with a paragraph from it which mentions that strong women already existed in RDR.

What you call "identity politics" is called inclusivity. And it's not going away, so if you want to live a long life, you'll have to learn to deal with it.

Jon Neu

Banned
Tell me if you really did read the article before I blow your post up with a paragraph from it which mentions that strong women already existed in RDR.

What you call "identity politics" is called inclusivity. And it's not going away, so if you want to live a long life, you'll have to learn to deal with it.

In what universe do you think they saying that "strong women" already existed in RDR changes anything?

And what I call identity politics is precisely what people like Kotaku is doing, which is basically tribalism and virtue signalling mixed with a mob mentality.

And no, Red Dead Redemption doesn't need "kick ass" women to be a true western.

And I'm sorry if you think every form of media and culture needs to have lesbians, trans people and "strong independent women" on it for the sake of the new religion of identity politics, but we are still going to call the bullshit of SJW as long as they still insist on force their agenda down people's throats.

Why are people that use words like "PC" and "SJW" so adamant that things they don't like not appear very often in media?

Seems hypocritical.

Comically hypocritical, actually. I get a kick out of reading the apparent lack of self-awareness.

Weird OP, I clearly remember a lot of people complaining in 2004 that didn't want to play with a black main character, because something politics ad something shoving down our throats. There were A LOT of negative reactions.

...and game media.

This is super bizarre. It's like people have completely erased the 2000 period, in which every church and soccer mom was trying to get these games banned.

Jon Neu

Banned
Why are people that use words like "PC" and "SJW" so adamant that things they don't like not appear very often in media?

Again, for the millionth time: this doesn't have anything to do with what people personally like or not. Videogames have always had diversity (it wasn't invented by SJW in the XXI century, really) and everybody has been happy playing with whatever characters they had to play. We have played as women, as arabs, as blacks, as asians, as gays, as trans, as blue hedgheogs, turtles, aliens, mutants, gods and whatever the game developers invented. But it was done in an organic manner, it was never a forced thing trying to feed you a certain political agenda.

People don't have anything against to play as a woman, but if you make a videogame changing all characters for women and preaching about feminism and toxic masculinity, then you can't expect people to not be fed up with it.

How bad was Wolfenstein 2 in this regard? I wouldn't want to play it anyway, but I've seen a lot of cringey stuff on Twitch streams. Sassy black woman with afro #38, can designers get any more lazy?

In what universe do you think they saying that "strong women" already existed in RDR changes anything?

And what I call identity politics is precisely what people like Kotaku is doing, which is basically tribalism and virtue signalling mixed with a mob mentality.

And no, Red Dead Redemption doesn't need "kick ***" women to be a true western.

And I'm sorry if you think every form of media and culture needs to have lesbians, trans people and "strong independent women" on it for the sake of the new religion of identity politics, but we are still going to call the bull**** of SJW as long as they still insist on force their agenda down people's throats.

And in exchange, enlist yourself with the gamergater/incel/alt-right movement.

Shake your fist at the clouds with all your might!

Also: Now I know you didn't read, soooooooooooo that doesn't make your post very intelligent, either, because RDR already has strong women. You just got triggered by the headline.

How bad was Wolfenstein 2 in this regard? I wouldn't want to play it anyway, but I've seen a lot of cringey stuff on Twitch streams. Sassy black woman with afro #38, can designers get any more lazy?

Not nearly as lazy as your post. Wolfenstien 2 takes place in an alternate-future 1960's, when Afros and revolutionaries were in style.

Last edited:
Again, for the millionth time: this doesn't have anything to do with what people personally like or not. Videogames have always had diversity (it wasn't invented by SJW in the XXI century, really) and everybody has been happy playing with whatever characters they had to play. We have played as women, as arabs, as blacks, as asians, as gays, as trans, as blue hedgheogs, turtles, aliens, mutants, gods and whatever the game developers invented. But it was done in an organic manner, it was never a forced thing trying to feed you a certain political agenda.

People don't have anything against to play as a woman, but if you make a videogame changing all characters for women and preaching about feminism and toxic masculinity, then you can't expect people to not be fed up with it.

There is nothing organic or inorganic about video games. Any time you make a story or character you make a choice.

You know what I am fed up with? Entitled brats who grew with their mommies and daddies telling them how special they are to such a point now that there has to be a hissyfit anytime something that isn't exactly about their tiny little speck of a world view dares to unapologetically exist.

"A girl on a war game cover????? But girls don't do war!!!!"
Well neither do whiny, entitled, low-self-esteem couch potatoes and yet still the fantasy is there.

"BUT LESBIANS DON'T APPEAL TO ME!!!"
So? Literally just so?

You're just waaay too entitled expecting things to only ever represent you. I'm sick of it.

Not nearly as lazy as your post. Wolfenstien 2 takes place in an alternate-future 1960's, when Afros and revolutionaries were in style.

Yeah, god forbid developers actually put effort into black characters like Nintendo in Splatoon 2. Just give them the same hair cuts and personalities. Isn't this racist? Or is it fine as long as we hit the required diversity quota? Also why would the 60s with years of previous Nazi occupation be anything similar to the real 60s? Bad strawman my man.

Jon Neu

Banned
And in exchange, enlist yourself with the gamergater/incel/alt-right movement.

Shake your fist at the clouds with all your might!

Also: Now I know you didn't read, soooooooooooo that doesn't make your post very intelligent, either, because RDR already has strong women. You just got triggered by the headline.

There is nothing organic or inorganic about video games. Any time you make a story or character you make a choice.

You know what I am fed up with? Entitled brats who grew with their mommies and daddies telling them how special they are to such a point now that there has to be a hissyfit anytime something that isn't exactly about their tiny little speck of a world view dares to unapologetically exist.

"A girl on a war game cover????? But girls don't do war!!!!"
Well neither do whiny, entitled, low-self-esteem couch potatoes and yet still the fantasy is there.

"BUT LESBIANS DON'T APPEAL TO ME!!!"
So? Literally just so?

You're just waaay too entitled expecting things to only ever represent you. I'm sick of it.

It's funny how SJW just don't want to listen to anything at all, they just repeat their little fantasies of "white male fragile masculinity" and the likes every time somebody dares to criticize them.

You can tell them we have been decades playing as trans, women, lesbians, gays, blacks, mexicans, asians and so on without any problem before SJW and their virtue signalling arrived, they are still gonna go for they learned rhetoric no matter what and say: why do you hate women, gays and blacks, you misogynist homophobe racist white supremacist!!!11!

It's sad and comical at the same time.

It's funny how SJW just don't want to listen to anything at all, they just repeat their little fantasies of "white male fragile masculinity" and the likes every time somebody dares to criticize them.

You can tell them we have been decades playing as trans, women, lesbians, gays, blacks, mexicans, asians and so on without any problem before SJW and their virtue signalling arrived, they are still gonna go for they learned rhetoric no matter what and say: why do you hate women, gays and blacks, you misogynist homophobe racist white supremacist!!!11!

It's sad and comical at the same time.

Who attacked your fragility?
Regardless, one viable option could be to stop displaying it?

Best to stop displaying that sense of entitlement first though.

Jon Neu

Banned
Who attacked your fragility?
Regardless, one viable option could be to stop displaying it?

Best to stop displaying that sense of entitlement first though.

And the funniest part of every SJW that wants so desesperately to appear as a champion of Social Justice to boost his ego, is how they rapidly become wannabe bullies laughing about "fragile white males".

This is not sad though, it's entirely comical.

And the funniest part of every SJW that wants so desesperately to appear as a champion of Social Justice to boost his ego, is how they rapidly become wannabe bullies laughing about "fragile white males".

This is not sad though, it's entirely comical.

Know what's comical?

Literally all of your posts are like this.

lmao

I think you self-evaluated with the whole "white male fragile masculinity" thing.

That post history is downright scary.

Jon Neu

Banned
Now he is retorting to my post history to still call me a white fragile male.

I think I'm going to cry at the brilliance of his bullying antics.

A. You said that yourself.

B. What am I supposed to think given what you said about yourself after reading more of your posts? I mean help me understand.

C. You're mad that other characters from backgrounds you don't identify with are a focal point sometimes, but you cry about "bullying". Again, help me understand how your behavior makes sense to you.

Jon Neu

Banned
I take the D, as it's the only one that it's not false.

Oh wait, if I take the D that would make me gay! And that's not good, because If I criticize SJW that means that I obviously hate gays, because obviously that is the only "logical" conclusion.

What would Jesus do?

PD: Stahp bullying me!

Last edited:
fwiw I agree with you that eroticism has its place. It'd be a shame if we lost that from the world. What you're not seeing though is the (I hate to say it) bigger picture. If there were as many games aimed at objectifying men for women then as far as I'm concerned no problem. If there was as much media in general that treated men and women the same, whatever than treatment be, then no problem, but that's not how things are and that's the issue. Basically, one game isn't the problem, the volume of games like it is the problem

There's more objectifying men in games than people realize though, we've just been conditioned to not notice or see it as somehow different.

For example there's the men of Metal Gear, Snake has always been sexy, what with his skintight outfit in MGS2 and all that, there's also Raiden who is at one point nude with his hands covering his junk, is that not fanservice for female gamers? And yet with all these sexy men people still raised a stink about Quiet in MGSV, that's a double standard.

Dante in the Devil May Cry series, especially 3, is supposed to be a sexy character.

God of War, a series that (used to anyway) infamously feature topless females also has Kratos always without a shirt.

And fighting games like Dead or Alive, Street Fighter or Soul Calibur feature females characters with perfect bodies but the men are also ripped, take Street Fighter for example, there's Cammy who's known for wearing a thong one piece type gettup, but there's also characters like Urien and Gill, who wear nothing but little thong diapers, even less than Cammy.

Yet remember the controversy over R.Mika's "butt slap" animation?

My point is, a body is a body, skin is skin, a scantily clad male character with a perfect body is not really different than a female one when you boil it down, so why is it only the female ones who are controversial? I, a heterosexual male, have never been bothered by the sight of a shirtless male character with six pack abs or whatever, so it's absurd to me to think of a heterosexual female getting offended over the sight of a scantily clad female character with big breasts.

You’ve resorted to throwing out the “alt-right” label now.

Time to stop posting mate.

Pretty sure "Alt right" is the common vernacular. Much more so than stuff like meninist or MRA or any incel or any of the other weird labels they use to describe themselves.

Top Bottom