• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Switch gaining unstoppable momentum?

I love Nintendo but this whole thread is such a circlejerk.

1138010.jpg

"Mr. Burns, your campaign seems to have the momentum
of a runaway freight train.

Why are you so popular?"
giphy.gif

A thread with a positive title regarding a Nintendo attracts fans of that Nintendo console? Heaven forbid!

Why are you so surprised by this? What exactly were you expecting to see in here?

EDMIX

Ps3 fat was horrific for developers, horrifically big of a design. Had no rumble. Ps2 games ran but not all of them ran.

Ps4 was a way better design, way smaller, cost efficient, was easy to make games for, was a beast and the most powerful platform at launch moreso than ps3 vs x360.

Agreed. They contridct their own point if they are trying to say both did better, makes little sense to then say 3DS is better then Switch or PS3 is better then PS4 etc

I'd argue PS4 and Switch doing so good only questions how good is streetpass or bc really if it didn't stop either from breaking records and getting lots of games?

EDMIX

To say nothing of the Sega Nomad, which did it ages before that. Nintendo rarely invents things, they just market it better. Similar to Apple, really (except that Apple hardware also tends to be the highest-end when possible).

? The point was simply that it wasn't brand new, Sega Nomad also being that way only further proves that point.

Thanks.

leo-j

Isn't it outselling the PS4 launch aligned? If it's not, its still close, because PS4 price cuts enter the equation soon, and the Switch is still at launch pricing.
So if you think the PS4 is doing ok when thats a consolidation of a companies handheld and stationary consoles into one unit, I don;t see how you can say the Switch isn't.

The Wii was destroying the ps2 and doing better than the ps4 launches aligned, for a couple years, but ended up selling less than both.

Switch is taking 3Ds and Wii U guys and upgrading them, and to add, the ps4 is still outselling the switch entering year 6. This is based on Nintendo and Sony figures not guesstimates.

Ps4 is 399/299 with a 97 million base
Switch is 299 with a 36 million base

Yet the ps4 is selling on par or slightly more today.... lol? How is the switch unstoppable exactly? It’s also capped at slightly higher than ps3 visuals on the go. Which doesn’t bode well for future proofing, as phones are more powerful and soon going to have more visually demanding games on them.

Last edited:

Tae Yamada

Neo Member
I don't think it'll go on for too long. They're starting to release more games with online playability options and their online is just horrible all across the board. The single player games are fine and they just keep pushing out ports and digital downloads for older games so they've got a lot they can still push out for at least a couple more years.

fatty

I see this more often than I’d like. I think of Nintendo in the 7th gen and overall, their output was incredible with something for everyone. You had NSMBW, Mario Galaxy, Skyward Sword, Metroid Prime 3, THREE amazing Excite entries, Punch-Out, and countless other amazing games.

What SHovelware did Nintendo make?

I knew about and have Excite Truck and Bots but was trying to figure out the third title. Saw it was a new Excitebike and realized it was in Wii Ware...darn, not sure if I will ever get to play that one.

That and the Konami Rebirth titles are ones I wish would be available in the future somehow.

LordRaptor

The Wii was destroying the ps2 and doing better than the ps4 launches aligned, for a couple years, but ended up selling less than both.

Switch is taking 3Ds and Wii U guys and upgrading them, and to add, the ps4 is still outselling the switch entering year 6. This is based on Nintendo and Sony figures not guesstimates.

Ps4 is 399/299 with a 97 million base
Switch is 299 with a 36 million base

Yet the ps4 is selling on par or slightly more today.... lol? How is the switch unstoppable exactly? It’s also capped at slightly higher than ps3 visuals on the go. Which doesn’t bode well for future proofing, as phones are more powerful and soon going to have more visually demanding games on them.

uhhhhh... almost nothing you have said is even true dude, wtf?
The PS4 hasn't even hit 100 million yet, how are you claiming it outsold the wii?
Switch was the single best selling console of 2018 in the US [source: NPD] and in Japan [source: Mediacreate / Famitsu] and has actually surpassed the PS4 LTD in Japan now. So any gains are being made in EMEA.
But that's not what I was talking about comparing launch aligned data, because console sales follow a bell curve where the majority of their sales occur ~year 3 of their lifecycle, not year 1.
And the launch aligned comparisons have either only just started favouring PS4, or are about to start favouring PS4, because the PS4 pricecut gets factored in and PS4 sales start to rise.
A Switch pricecut (which it has not yet had) will offset that.

I'm not the one claiming "unstoppable momentum", but its idiotic to pretend the switch isn't selling really well, because it clearly fucking is.

Last edited:

RScrewed

What exactly were you expecting to see in here?

You're right, I was expecting something different. But I'm gonna insist I be in the back of the line of people waiting to fellate Nintendo, at least gimme that.

Just the title itself is so self-serving, I'm surprised other Nintendo fans aren't embarrassed to be lumped in with this. Fanboys (from both sides, sure) discussing sales numbers like that means anything; the subject of the thread is tinder for console warring. It's so pretentious, as if it is even possible for a piece of technology that will inevitably become obsolete to attain "unstoppable momentum".

I+do+not+like+that+duck+its+smug+aura+mocks+_58d932c025ea32bcbc5d5f6506b62254.jpg

This thread's title. Its smug aura mocks me. Nintendo fans are becoming worse than vegans.

MC Safety

The Nintendo Switch is an out-of-control juggernaut that destroyed my neighbor's house with its unstoppable momentum. We barely evacuated grandma from the Switch's path.

The President must call out the National Guard, the Coast Guard, the Guardian Angels, famed point guard Mookie Blaylock, and the Guardians of the Galaxy to arrest the Switch's unstoppable momentum.

Geki-D

Banned
So if you think the PS4 is doing ok when thats a consolidation of a companies handheld and stationary consoles into one unit, I don;t see how you can say the Switch isn't.
? The PS4 is replacing 2 systems? You mean the Vita? It's not really the same thing though, is it. Nintendo's handhelds actually sold well and along with that they had a home console selling. Now they only have one product which I'm pretty sure is selling like one product. It seems like they would have done best to release 2 again rather than one. Maybe if they do make a Switch mini, that'll fix things.
I assume you didn't name any MUST HAVEs from first 5 months of 2019 on the Xbox/PS because there aren't any.

I also assume you are then going to name the games you like on the Xbox/PS and then pass those as MUST HAVES because you liked them.
A bunch were listed already so I hardly saw the point, I also assume anyone who posts on the gaming site of GAF actually follows the big releases of games. Though nice preemptive "Anything you do post is invalid". Truly the work of a big brained strategist at hand.

LordRaptor

? The PS4 is replacing 2 systems? You mean the Vita? It's not really the same thing though, is it. Nintendo's handhelds actually sold well and along with that they had a home console selling. Now they only have one product which I'm pretty sure is selling like one product. It seems like they would have done best to release 2 again rather than one. Maybe if they do make a Switch mini, that'll fix things.

Sony moves away from dedicated handheld devices after the Vita was a huge flop exactly the same as Nintendo moved away from dedicated home devices after the wiiu was a huge flop.
I don't see how you can think there's some huge difference between the two strategies. Are you pretending that the PSP didn't sell ballpark the same as the PS3?

leo-j

uhhhhh... almost nothing you have said is even true dude, wtf?
The PS4 hasn't even hit 100 million yet, how are you claiming it outsold the wii?
Switch was the single best selling console of 2018 in the US [source: NPD] and in Japan [source: Mediacreate / Famitsu] and has actually surpassed the PS4 LTD in Japan now. So any gains are being made in EMEA.
But that's not what I was talking about comparing launch aligned data, because console sales follow a bell curve where the majority of their sales occur ~year 3 of their lifecycle, not year 1.
And the launch aligned comparisons have either only just started favouring PS4, or are about to start favouring PS4, because the PS4 pricecut gets factored in and PS4 sales start to rise.
A Switch pricecut (which it has not yet had) will offset that.

I'm not the one claiming "unstoppable momentum", but its idiotic to pretend the switch isn't selling really well, because it clearly fucking is.

Ps4 will outsell Wii shortly, and will sell tens of millions of more consoles than the Wii ended up with. I’m quoting Sony and Nintendo figures not US ONLY and JAPAN only estimated by the NPD and FAMITSU. According to Sony, ps4 outsold the switch in 2018 world wide. And according to Sony PS4 is outselling the switch world wide to date for just 2019 so far as well.

To continue, no one is saying the switch isn’t selling well, but one can’t say it’s got unstoppable momentum when 6 year old ps4 is doing just as well or better during it’s
Come down period. Also ps4 has not received a price cut since 2015. And even then the console sells at a higher on average price than the newer handheld hybrid Nintendo switch.

Clarissa

Banned
You're right, I was expecting something different. But I'm gonna insist I be in the back of the line of people waiting to fellate Nintendo, at least gimme that.

Just the title itself is so self-serving, I'm surprised other Nintendo fans aren't embarrassed to be lumped in with this. Fanboys (from both sides, sure) discussing sales numbers like that means anything; the subject of the thread is tinder for console warring. It's so pretentious, as if it is even possible for a piece of technology that will inevitably become obsolete to attain "unstoppable momentum".

I+do+not+like+that+duck+its+smug+aura+mocks+_58d932c025ea32bcbc5d5f6506b62254.jpg

This thread's title. Its smug aura mocks me. Nintendo fans are becoming worse than vegans.
Have you seen the Nintendo fans in resetera?

They are much more extreme.

They remind me of the horde in Days Gone.

LordRaptor

To continue, no one is saying the switch isn’t selling well, but one can’t say it’s got unstoppable momentum when 6 year old ps4 is doing just as well or better during it’s
Come down period.

What?
The two things are independent. Take off your console warrior googles. The Switch is likely to have its best selling year to date, as per standard console lifecycles, and the PS4 is likely to sell worse than it did last year, also as per console lifecycles.
Its not a zero sum game. The two factors have almost nothing to do with each other.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Why do people get so butthurt when there are positive Nintendo threads? Having multiple successful hardware manufacturers is not going to ruin your life or take your toys away. Grow up and enjoy good games for being good games and leave the company tribalism in your teenage years where it belongs.

Or, if there is more to it, show us on the doll where Nintendo hurt you:

CJP2S9MW8AANtDx

Meesh

No word of a lie, Animal Crossing, another Zelda, some good third party RPGs, another Monster Hunter and hopefully a few more FPS games and Switch could be the best console Nintendo has ever released in terms of library. (Ad a dash of a few more obscure Japanese indie things)

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Wow so much insecure people here. It's like people can't be happy at all.

Why not just celebrate the positive growth to the industry overall?
What I can understand, the logic for some people here, if they don't like something it shouldn't succeed and it should disappear. They just cant do what any reasonable person would do and just ignore what they don't like instead of being angry about it.

Zannegan

Alternatively, realize that it's just games, that all fanboys are equally cringy (and if you don't believe this, check yourself), and that most gamers are beyond being "fans" in the sense of liking one thing to the exclusion of all competators.

I mean, just look at the thread. True, you've got few people way too excited about the Switch's success, but there are also an equal number who seem personally offended by any celelebration of it. A much larger number of commenters have gently disagreed with the hyperbolic title, while also acknowledging that the console is doing well for itself. Meanwhile, a massive majority of visitors--fans from all "camps"--poke their heads in, read the thread, and leave without bothering to comment.

It's hardly the circle-jerk you claim, and even if it was, your equally hyperbolic comments don't bring the conversation back to reality so much as try to set up a second, competing circle jerk in another corner of the room. Meanwhile, the rest of us are standing in the middle of the room trying to have a conversation while the two groups stage whisper snide remarks about how soft the hands are in their own circle, how the other guys are just pretending to enjoy themselves, and how embarassed they should be. Lol.

Last edited:

lucius

It is great for Indies but it severely lacking in other areas for at least a year. It’s selling so great and will continue because this is their new hanheld system . They should fill gaps with Wii , Snes and Gamecube games. I enjoy indie games and being portable makes them more fun, but I am kind of sick of them on Switch at this point. I owned a Wii U so most those ports I mean for $60 is a waste for me, I wouldn't mind seeing Twilight Princess and Wind Waker though.

What I can understand, the logic for some people here, if they don't like something it shouldn't succeed and it should disappear. They just cant do what any reasonable person would do and just ignore what they don't like instead of being angry about it.

That’s the gaming world for you. Look at any ms thread post gaf split or any ps thread last gen. Sony didn’t get crapped on near as bad last gen as ms did this gen but it still wasn’t pretty.

What I don’t understand is with Nintendo. The switch isn’t even a competitor to the x1/ps4 and people are still super negative. Lol ok.

It is great for Indies but it severely lacking in other areas for at least a year. It’s selling so great and will continue because this is their new hanheld system . They should fill gaps with Wii , Snes and Gamecube games. I enjoy indie games and being portable makes them more fun, but I am kind of sick of them on Switch at this point. I owned a Wii U so most those ports I mean for $60 is a waste for me, I wouldn't mind seeing Twilight Princess and Wind Waker though.

I feel the same way. It’s great for indies and ports but I would much rather have new third party games on it. I realize Nintendo can’t build a handheld console that can play new third party titles but it’s not the days of the ds where third parties could easily devote resources to new games for the Nintendo handheld.

Last edited:

MC Safety

Why do people get so butthurt when there are positive Nintendo threads? Having multiple successful hardware manufacturers is not going to ruin your life or take your toys away. Grow up and enjoy good games for being good games and leave the company tribalism in your teenage years where it belongs.

Or, if there is more to it, show us on the doll where Nintendo hurt you:

I think people are having fun with the hyperbole.

tr1p1ex

A bunch were listed already so I hardly saw the point, I also assume anyone who posts on the gaming site of GAF actually follows the big releases of games. Though nice preemptive "Anything you do post is invalid". Truly the work of a big brained strategist at hand.

Of course why talk about the actual games and definition of MUST HAVES when you can just muck it up with snarky meaningless trolling commentary on assumptions you made up instead instead of what someone actually posted.

Last edited:

ROMhack

I feel the same way. It’s great for indies and ports but I would much rather have new third party games on it. I realize Nintendo can’t build a handheld console that can play new third party titles but it’s not the days of the ds where third parties could easily devote resources to new games for the Nintendo handheld.

In all honesty Indies pretty much are what passes for third-party games at this point.

Last edited:

Geki-D

Banned
Of course why talk about the actual games when you can just muck it up with snarky meaningless trolling commentary?
Why would I talk about the games when you've already said: "then pass those as MUST HAVES because you liked them."? lol Any games I do say you'll just reply with "DATZ YO OPINION". Why would I fall for that?

Games were already listed in reply to you, why don't you start with those ones?

This isn't an insult, but if the title of the thread is so offensive to you, maybe you need to roll back and take a break. It's just people trying to have fun. It's just people excited about something they like doing well, it's not meant to taunt you, and it wasn't meant as an affront to anybody else either. Nintendo has been around for a very long time, so it's only natural for it to have garnered a large following of die-hard fans and this being a game forum you have to expect it will attract people that might be more excited for something than you are. Don't take it personally and if people simply celebrating the success of something bothers you that much, I sincerely think you should stop and think about why. I've been playing Nintendo games since they were still in cabinets in arcades and they have been with me my whole life so for me it's nice to see other people getting hyped up about the Switch doing well. I hope the buzz keeps going because I do enjoy the Switch and would like it to continue doing well.

tr1p1ex

Why would I talk about the games when you've already said: "then pass those as MUST HAVES because you liked them."? lol Any games I do say you'll just reply with "DATZ YO OPINION". Why would I fall for that?

Games were already listed in reply to you, why don't you start with those ones?

Yeah why would anyone fall for giving their opinion? YOu avoided that trap. Good for you. Keep trolling.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
For me as long as Switch gives me exclusive third party games like Astral Chain, Bayonetta and SMTV then I’m happy. I didn’t buy Switch for games like COD or Assassin Creed games.

Pretty sure most people would say Cuphead or Ori are reasons to own an Xbox One, rather than the 'real' third party exclusives like Ryse or Quantum Break.

I have no idea what you are trying to argue or what point you are trying to make.

If you are trying to say that more people purchase an x1 for cuphead or ori instead of assassins creed or fifa...you are absolutely wrong.

My point was that indies make up the vast amount of third party support on the switch. Not much to argue against there.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Lol, what? I paid £320 for my Switch (with one game). That's not 'cheap', never mind incredibly cheap.

299 for a launch price compared to 499 (xbox one/x launches) and 399 (PS4/Pro launches), that is a very cheap price for a new console. Not to mention the past holiday sales where you can find the console routinely for under 300 dollars with a game bundled in.

My Big D

Banned
lmao the switch is still very expensive for Nintendo portable market numbers. The downfall of being a hybri is that it also has to be priced as an inbetweener

"switch is incredibly cheap" …...you gotta be kidding me

MagnesG

Banned
Is it that fun arguing hyperboles from both sides?

lmao the switch is still very expensive for Nintendo portable market numbers. The downfall of being a hybri is that it also has to be priced as an inbetweener

"switch is incredibly cheap" …...you gotta be kidding me
Then you need to see it as a hybrid as soon as possible, for whatever reason you're stubborn with. This is not a 3ds, nor from a DS family, GBs or PSPs. That simple.

It's just sad you know hoping for something that's not meant to be, two years at that.

299 for a launch price compared to 499 (xbox one/x launches) and 399 (PS4/Pro launches), that is a very cheap price for a new console. Not to mention the past holiday sales where you can find the console routinely for under 300 dollars with a game bundled in.
Why are you comparing it to the Pro and X? It's more expensive then the base models which are both more powerful. The switch is a lot of things. Incredibly cheap is not one of them. That's before we even start on the peripherals.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Why are you comparing it to the Pro and X? It's more expensive then the base models which are both more powerful. The switch is a lot of things. Incredibly cheap is not one of them. That's before we even start on the peripherals.

I did both launch and "Pro/X" in my post. Not just "Pro/X".

The console is incredibly cheap for a new platform. Its peripherals are rarely more expensive than the competitors (especially when you can go with off-brand controllers that are half the price).

Top Bottom