• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is The Death Stranding 2 trailer in-game or CGI?

Having a debate about whether or not this is in-game graphics or CGI.

1293472.jpg

1293473.jpg

1293474.jpg

solidus12

It’s obviously real time, Kojima doesn’t disappoint on a technical standpoint + he has a great engine and a well optimized console to work with.

Though I must admit, I’m not looking forward to Yongyea’s daily videos of him saying Mads Mikkelsen.

ChiefDada

Gold Member
Jesus F***ing Christ I don't want to hear another goofus state how underpowered these consoles are ever again. This is higher quality than the PS5 CGI advertisements. Fight me.

Real-Time on PS5, 30fps

RvXw9G6.jpg

Offline CGI, 1 frame every 20hrs or so
erptJAk.jpg

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Jesus F***ing Christ I don't want to hear another goofus state how underpowered these consoles are ever again. This is higher quality than the PS5 CGI advertisements. Fight me.

Real-Time on PS5, 30fps

RvXw9G6.jpg

erptJAk.jpg
It looks like the last game on PS4. PS4 had very good looking games. I dont think this is some PS5 showcase game though for impossible graphics, but it will obviously look great.

Mokus

Highly likely it's in-game, just look at the first game and its trailers.

This reminds me when a group of gamers were talking about God of War 2018 before the launch, and how all the trailers for the game were CGI.

kyliethicc

Dare I say Guerrilla has surpassed Naughty Dog for best animation (at least for now)!? The animation work is the most impressive aspect of the trailer. There's very little uncanny valley to be seen here. So convincing!
Guerrilla has nothing to do with that footage, besides the engine. That cinematic was animated primarily by PlayStation Studios Visual Arts, (the same people who do most of the cinematic animation for Naughty Dog, Insomniac, etc,) and of course by Kojima Productions as well.

CGNoire

"Tell me you havent Played Death Stranding 1 without t....."

It 80% looked the same as 1st game. Outside of the desert,mech,and ground clutter of unicycle parts. Characters looked the same with some improved SSS shading.

Nothing leap frogging this cross gen period. Outside of what I mentioned above it could have just as well been a trailer for PS4 DLC. :/

CGNoire

Real-Time on PS5, 30fps

RvXw9G6.jpg

erptJAk.jpg
I can assure that bottom image diddnt take anwhere near 20hr to render. People still regurgatating offline render times from decadds ago. That shot isnt exactly ILM or Pixar complex.

Last edited:
"Tell me you havent Played Death Stranding 1 without t....."

It 80% looked the same as 1st game. Outside of the desert,mech,and ground clutter of unicycle parts. Characters looked the same with some improved SSS shading.

Nothing leap frogging this cross gen period. Outside of what I mentioned above it could have just as well been a trailer for PS4 DLC. :/

Naw sorry that looks nothing like death stranding 1. Maybe the cg trailer…

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
To me it looks like the same character model as the last game with improved lighting and improved skin. Mo cap animation.

Looks awesome though. You asked for opinions, not trying to shit on it.
I don’t see how could it look any better. This is how the actress looks

Drizzlehell

Banned
It looks in-game. The visuals are better than the first game, obviously, because it's a next gen game that will have improved that aspect, but not by such a huge margin that it would be doubtful that it's not in-engine footage.

“In engine” which is in game without all the constraints on hitting a certain framerate with all the game logic running in the background.

It’s as BS as CG but not quite as ridiculously far away from gameplay. Go back and watch the Battlefield in engine trailers then as yourself did it look anything like as good as that in game while running on a console. The answer is no.

3liteDragon

Didn't Forspoken say the same?
Ok? That was real-time footage either way, but I’m not expecting a downgrade in visuals since it’s on the Decima engine & it’s a first-party being published by Sony.
Captured could mean playing back a cgi video. That said his last game had very good quality characters.
What? No lol, they could just post the CG trailer on YouTube instead of playing it back on a PS5 & recording that, why go through the extra hassle? That doesn’t make any sense. CG trailers always have the disclaimer below, the ones that say “Captured on PS5” are all real-time in-game footage.

That’s how the game will look like on console or better by retail release.

Top Bottom