• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is The Death Stranding 2 trailer in-game or CGI?

CGNoire

a“Captured on PS5” are all real-time in-game footage.

There is zero proof they all are and infact I would go as far to say that its highly likely the "captured on (system)" will be the new misleading marketing BS replacing "In Engine" soon since many of yall fall for that alot easier. Devs probably have a list of other misleading replacement phrases already lined up to replace it once people start catching on.

Anytime something highly impressive runs in realtime on actual console hardware (not just maxed dev kits) developers go Out of there Way to Scream "Realtime" from the rooftops. When they dont its obviously in question and for good reason.

Last edited:

3liteDragon

Too mislead people like usual.
Gonna be hilarious when the game’s out & it looks exactly like that. “Captured on PS4/5” has always been the game running on the console, that’s the whole point of the label. Same is true with this, it ain’t pre-rendered. The Spider-Man 2 trailer’s another example.

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Captured could easily mean in-engine, it does not really matter as DS1 had great graphics, so I have zero doubt that it will look close to it.

Klosshufvud

Those are cutscenes, which regardless if in-game, in-engine or entirely CGI, will look better than actual gameplay. Death Stranding 1 also had some insanely detailed cutscenes but the actual game toned it all massively down. So regardless what label they put on the trailer, we won't know how the gameplay looks until we see it.

K2D

Banned
If I had to guess I'd say the trailer was 95% in-engine, with the shots of the spaceship and Lou's face animation being cgi.

CGNoire

Gonna be hilarious when the game’s out & it looks exactly like that. “Captured on PS4/5” has always been the game running on the console, that’s the whole point of the label. Same is true with this, it ain’t pre-rendered. The Spider-Man 2 trailer’s another example.
You misunderstand or have not read my previous posts in here There is not much special about what was shown so of course it will look the same.

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
Technically all video games are cgi because video game consoles are computers. The distinction is between pre-rendered, in-engine or in-game. Pre-rendered and in-engine tend to be bullshot quality where in-game is closer to the experience you can expect.

Neff

Kojima likes to flex in real-time as much as possible. I don't remember any CG movies in DS1 and MGSV so I'm pretty sure this is 100% in-engine.

It's looking very similar to the first game. They obviously further improved the characters models. Besides it's "captured" on PS5 so that means real-time.

The first game is already looking incredibly great on PS5 for those who actually played it. A real underrated showcase for the hardware IMO.

Last edited:

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
In game in that if you put all resources into making as beautiful an image as possible, but not playable, not representative of gameplay visuals gets my vote.

midnightAI

Realtime cutscenes meaning they can get the perfect lighting, camera angles and have the highest quality models. They can even use pre-calculated physics so they play out exactly the same each time its run and so don't eat resources.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Great trailer visually, but it pulls a whole bunch of tricks out of the usual grab-bag for maximum impact:

Keep each shot relatively simple with a single element as its primary focus, so the viewer's eye is drawn to where most of the render budget is being spent. Mo-cap everything then use some extreme lighting and vfx to obscure as many of the usual CG "tells" as possible.

The great advantage of cinematics compared to actual gameplay footage is that the artists have total control over the framing and overall scene composition allowing them to maximize resource utilization.

Last edited:

RaduN

Totally "tell me you haven't played DS without saying you haven't played DS" moment.

This is the original game (scene from the end, so probably story spoilers):

This is, without a doubt, the best, most realistic display of complex human emotions, in a realtime rendered scene, ever.
Nothing comes close to this, not yet at least.

Regarding the DS2 rendering, it looks fantastic, as expected, maybe somewhere between DS1 and that CGI commercial for DS1 that someone posted here, partly due to the great engine (pushed probably to the limits on ps5) and pristine IQ, but i think it is mostly because of the unique, immensly creative direction and scene composition that Kojima always does in his games.

I believe it is real time graphics and will look just as amazing on release day. The Decima engine is the "new player" on the block.
Jesus F***ing Christ I don't want to hear another goofus state how underpowered these consoles are ever again. This is higher quality than the PS5 CGI advertisements. Fight me.

Real-Time on PS5, 30fps

RvXw9G6.jpg

Offline CGI, 1 frame every 20hrs or so
erptJAk.jpg
Just to make a note, an Insomiac dev said they got Spiderman 2 graphics to look like Miles Morales CGI trailers. Another clue to it being PS5 only.

Last edited:

nemiroff

Gold Member
My personal definition kinda goes like this: A) Pre-rendered video / "CGI", B) Realtime rendered cinematic cutscene (some people also call this "CGI" btw..)(on-rails "in-game graphics", often with additional effects, cameras and better image quality), and C) Realtime rendered user controlled gameplay. I'd say this is most likely real time rendered cinematic cutscenes.

Last edited:
Is it just me, but do Japanese developers make some of the best looking games?

Think, Resident Evil remakes, MGS5, Death Stranding, Street Fighter, GT7, the new Final Fantasy games.

They all look incredible, in many cases industry leading.

Last edited:

Klosshufvud

Is it just me, but do Japanese developers make some of the best looking games?

Think, Resident Evil remakes, MGS5, Death Stranding, Street Fighter, GT7, the new Final Fantasy games.

They all look incredible, in many cases industry leading.
I see what you're meaning. Japanese devs are generally more keen on a refined and consistent art and visual design. I'm reminded of Ace Combat 7 and how well they portrayed near-futuristic tech. And the artistry that goes into every single MGS game which is just absolutely packed with legendary artwork and 3D models. It says something when Japanese PS2 games to this day still look marvelous.

I believe it is real time graphics and will look just as amazing on release day. The Decima engine is the "new player" on the block.

Just to make a note, an Insomiac dev said they got Spiderman 2 graphics to look like Miles Morales CGI trailers. Another clue to it being PS5 only.

That CGI that it’s comparing it to looks incredibly mediocre.

Captured could easily mean in-engine, it does not really matter as DS1 had great graphics, so I have zero doubt that it will look close to it.
No. Captured on PS5 means real-time (at least for all games with some kind of exclusivity on PS5).

And in-engine means "We are going to try to confuse them but yes it's CGI". It has being like this the whole gen.

Last edited:

Dorago

DS always locked the camera when dialogue started and switched to movies when the characters needed to do something not within the stock animation set. Hopefully they don't have the jarring low res/better lighting movie vs high res/flat in engine but I'm not holding my breath.

That CGI that it’s comparing it to looks incredibly mediocre.
Okay, but I think you're under selling this accomplishment. Thats what they're aiming to have their in-game graphics looking like. To have something comparable to CGI running in real time is nuts. I mean besides HFW and Death Stranding 2 that both run on the Decima Engine, there is no other open world game that could look as impressive as what Spiderman might be, especially since Insomiac have already implemented raytracing and FSR 2.1 in Spiderman before.

CGNoire

But it looks just like the actual trailer in this case so what's the issue?
There too small and automaticly invite your imagination into filling out what isnt fully resolved.

I have Driveclub and Ive never seen shit look anything like its gif form. 99% percent of the time it distorts reality.

Last edited:

kiphalfton

In fact it's the opposite. It's the only open world I played that even traversal is pure gameplay and not only pushing the analog forward.

I guess you have a point.

Since traversal is the only gameplay component in the game, and no other gameplay is diluting the experience, by definition that would make it "pure" gameplay.

I have a strong hunch the visuals will look better on launch, Kojima and one of the actresses in the game also said something similar.

Regardless it still looks insanely good.

Last edited:
Top Bottom