• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is The Death Stranding 2 trailer in-game or CGI?

Léa Seydoux is a beautiful woman. I liked her character Fragile. This new game should look amazing.
ee4vLY8.jpg

Gonna be hilarious when the game’s out & it looks exactly like that. “Captured on PS4/5” has always been the game running on the console, that’s the whole point of the label. Same is true with this, it ain’t pre-rendered. The Spider-Man 2 trailer’s another example.
Remember when people booted up the Matrix Demo and thought it only looked good because it was a rail shooter? Then this happened:

The-Matrix-Awakens-An-Unreal-Engine-5-Experience-1.gif

Krathoon

Yep. They can pull off a pretty convincing city with the PS5. The really missed an opportunity to show you character flying in the Matrix demo.

I assume an actual Matrix game is in the works.

Last edited:

ChiefDada

Gold Member
Looks like a PC version of a PS4 game. An improvement over DS1 for sure but nothing really impressive.

Lol, why would you say something so silly as if I couldn't link a timestamped clip of this exact character in said PS4 game running on the best consumer graphics card in the market? Why?

It looks good but its still a shallow husk of what an actual game is. Its not even real pedestrians just ghosts
Yes, but that sentence alone is a goalpost move.

People originally thought that the game looked so good because it was a tiny vertical slice rail shooter, as we normally do with most demos and showcase presentations(and they amp the graphics up to 11 for that tiny slice to show off new console generations). 9 times out of 10 this is the actual case.

Here's a perfect example, remember Linger in Shadows on the PS3?

The Matrix Demo could have easily been like Linger in Shadows, but it wasn't. Right as everyone was starting to think it was, the camera panned down behind the playable character and it turned out the entire city was actually there to be explored. LiS was a tiny forgettable footnote in video game history, but the Matrix Demo became more than that. It was Epic saying 'no really, this is possible in UE5 right now'. Releasing it, doing that bait and switch, and then almost immediately after releasing the tools for PC devs and gamers alike to mess around with them, was a genius play.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Lol, why would you say something so silly as if I couldn't link a timestamped clip of this exact character in said PS4 game running on the best consumer graphics card in the market? Why?

Looks extremely similar. Better lighting and skin.

If it comes out in 2023 that's a short 4 year dev time for this kind of game. Seems like common sense that a lot of elements will be built on the previous game.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Well, do you also think she’s pretty?

How did she heal from time fall? That whole scene was sad and it made her character the complete opposite of how she’s depicted in this sequel trailer. I also wonder how the beach falls into all this. Was is just used as a gimmick in the first game? Yeah, that engine is something else. If you also consider 80% of the game is what land mass? They could render something that nice. The majority of the interactions in the first game were holograms. Which probably saves enough room for resources for this type of stuff.

OCASM

Banned

The PC port of DS is pretty barebones. Other devs go the extra mile of adding tessellation, better lighting and vfx, etc...

RaduN

Looks extremely similar. Better lighting and skin.

If it comes out in 2023 that's a short 4 year dev time for this kind of game. Seems like common sense that a lot of elements will be built on the previous game.
I was wondering, are we absolutely sure at this point that it will not be cross gen release?
Was there some official word on the subject?

Well, do you also think she’s pretty?

How did she heal from time fall? That whole scene was sad and it made her character the complete opposite of how she’s depicted in this sequel trailer. I also wonder how the beach falls into all this. Was is just used as a gimmick in the first game? Yeah, that engine is something else. If you also consider 80% of the game is what land mass? They could render something that nice. The majority of the interactions in the first game were holograms. Which probably saves enough room for resources for this type of stuff.
I think there is even a patented game mechanic/technology. (all the deformation that happens in the world with enemies).

kojima can be melodramatic and heavy handed but the themes he touches are very thought provoking.

his appreciation of the feminine body (like a true big boss) is always a plus.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
I guess you have a point.

Since traversal is the only gameplay component in the game, and no other gameplay is diluting the experience, by definition that would make it "pure" gameplay.
So the game does not have shooting gameplay mechanics, driving gameplay mechanics, stealth gameplay mechanics, building gameplay mechanics, resource management gameplay mechanics?

Perrott

Gold Member
Having a debate about whether or not this is in-game graphics or CGI.

1293472.jpg

1293473.jpg

1293474.jpg
It's all in-engine cinematics (not confuse with in-game cinematics, i.e. the Sam talking to the holograms of the people from any of the shelters and settlements to where you deliver goods in the first game), so DS2's cutscenes will look just like that when the game comes out hopefully 20 or so months from now.

CGI on the other hand are stuff like Diablo IV's opening cinematic.

supernova8

Banned
I dont think they officially said. But I'd assume its PS5, PC only.

The website details in the current form seem to imply it's not coming to last-gen but.... "coming to PS5" doesn't explicitly rule out them coming out and saying "oh and also by the way forgot to mention... PS4".

Maybe I'm just paranoid from earlier on when they made it appear as if GT7 and Horizon (among others) would be PS5-exclusive, only for it to be revealed that they were cross-gen, but I'll wait for them to explicitly say it.

Last edited:
[/URL][/URL][/URL]

The website details in the current form seem to imply it's not coming to last-gen but.... "coming to PS5" doesn't explicitly rule out them coming out and saying "oh and also by the way forgot to mention... PS4".

Maybe I'm just paranoid from earlier on when they made it appear as if GT7 and Horizon (among others) would be PS5-exclusive, only for it to be revealed that they were cross-gen, but I'll wait for them to explicitly say it.

They’re not releasing cross-gen games in 2024+

Sony is trying to sell ps5’s hence the “Live From PS5” marketing campaign they are spending millions on right now. I bet the only cross-gen game they release from this point on is MLB The Show

Last edited:

supernova8

Banned
They’re not releasing cross-gen games in 2024+

Sony is trying to sell ps5’s hence the “Live From PS5” marketing campaign they are spending millions on right now. I bet the only cross-gen game they release from this point on is MLB The Show
Kojima is not first party but yeah I guess on balance it's probably only coming to PS5 even if it doesn't look exactly like a generational leap (yeah I know you hate me and others saying that muwhahahaha)

Kojima is not first party but yeah I guess on balance it's probably only coming to PS5 even if it doesn't look exactly like a generational leap (yeah I know you hate me and others saying that muwhahahaha)

Kojima isn’t but Death Stranding is still first party. It’s effectively the same thing since he hasn’t put out anything outside of Playstation since going indie

Last edited:
I see what you're meaning. Japanese devs are generally more keen on a refined and consistent art and visual design. I'm reminded of Ace Combat 7 and how well they portrayed near-futuristic tech. And the artistry that goes into every single MGS game which is just absolutely packed with legendary artwork and 3D models. It says something when Japanese PS2 games to this day still look marvelous.
Definitely, a lot of their games hold up really well.

You might also be right that it's about the art style they use.

I think they've been good at building game engines to run their titles, from what I can remember.

I honestly don’t see how CGI can look better than this
The chase between real-time and CGI is going to exist for years to come.

pgneCVH.gif

We recently had a moment where a CGI team fooled a bunch of other professional CGI artists into believing the above gif was partially real life footage.

I mean, AVATAR is clearly on a whole other level. I’m talking aobut the type of CGI they use in game marketing
It’s tough because barely any studios left are doing these things anymore for video games. It’s something that we all knew would eventually be tossed away when real time graphics caught up, so that money could be saved overall. Even Final Fantasy has finally let go of CGI with the next entry, FF16.

The only recent cinematic I can think of that is still ahead of that DS2 footage is Blizzard’s Diablo 4:

Top Bottom