• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is the Xbox One OS The worst ever for these task-filled console OS's?

xool

Even the tiles on 360 were lighting fast ...

And what's with the new gen consoles (PS4 at least) freezing when it waits to load an image tile in the store - last gen it (360) would show a placeholder whilst it loaded, now it just stalls.

UI in full reverse, running at top speed it seems

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
I never played one outside of a demo kiosk, but if it's worse than PS4 that's pretty brutal.

It's not. Things just seems worse when you aren't used to use them as main platform. Etc most in here seems to praise PS4 UI over XO, which I hate, whereas I've used XO way more than my ps4. I hate the minimal usage of the screen in PS4, whereas the whole screen is used on XO.

Last edited:

thelastword

Banned
I mean the PS3 was pretty bad back in the day but that was a long time ago. How is the One so bad in 2019. Almost 2020.

My system has been updating for 15 minutes. And it's not the download.

The UI is sluggish and bad. The footage recording feature sucks balls compared to the PS4.

Game installs still are insanely slow.

I honestly just don't understand how this is possible.
Why? "because I made direct X and OS's for a living Dawg"...…..

No.

It's actually more tiresome to access games and options on a PS4.

Store integration is better too; more often than not the PS Store will just hang or crash when I access it.

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
When I owned a X1 I never liked trying to navigate around menus. Nothing seemed to be in order and I would always accidentally get to the store tab somehow and then have a hard time making it back to game menu.

PS4 is pretty straight forward with a wonderful party chat UI though i will say the only thing I liked about the Xbox party chat is the ability to turn your voice volume up so you can hear yourself. It’s a feature I’m baffled Sony has never put in its chat. That aside, the PS4 UI is starting to get bloated on a normal PS4 and at startup can be quite laggy for a few minutes or in between games. Not sure if that is the hardwares parts getting older, or they are just trying to cram more advertising but it is highly noticeable.

Switch’s is the most streamlined but it doesn’t really do anything special at the same time. That is good from a gaming standpoint but it has all the complexity of the original Xbox’s dashboard / live dashboard. Which is to say pretty much just boring static menus with limited options. Folders for organization and a proper chat integration would do wonders (which I’ve come to grips on the latter never happening).

Shagger

Banned
I'm a long way from a fan of the Xbone OS as well. Updates are slow, the layout is unintuitive and doesn't work well with a controller and it buries your games, videos and apps behind what's for sale and that's annoying.

Trimesh

Banned
The lack of customization is annoying too - the top level menu has 5 tabs:

Home GamePass Mixer Community Store

I don't have GamePass, have no interest at all in game streaming and don't use the "community" stuff. So 60% of the top menu is effectively useless to me. Obviously, other people might have a different mix of what they perceive to be "useless" features - but why isn't it configurable?

Hissing Sid

Funny this should pop up really as I recently got given a nearly new white Xbox one s. So I switched the console on to wipe it and instantly hated the ui. Instantly. No umming. No ahhhing. Just instant hate.

Really bad first impression.

Figured it was just brand shock due to having used a PS4 for so long but I’ve had it for a week now and I still hate it.

I’ll put up with it for the sake of Rare Replay but after that I reckon I’ll find it a new home in the loft.

PocoJoe

Banned
I don’t think it’s much better over on PS4. I have my issues with that OS/system too, including install speed, general speed, UI, and also download speed.

I will now commit the most dangerous act one can, on NeoGAF.

Although the lack of online options, like at all, and possibly the lack of finer details are as big a minus as the above, the Switch actually excels at a lot of everyday things I need an OS to excel at. It’s fast, fluid, well-laid out and gets the job done without ever getting in your way.

Xbox OS is pure trash, but ps4 OS is great in my opinion.

I have pro model now, but OG were about the same.

"Desktop" is clean, logical and 99% it works smoothly.

Store is slow sometimes, but rarely.

Download speeds have been good after 2015? When they did something to the servers, on 100/10 cable.

Only annoying thing is that when space runs out, it deletes my recording that i am trying to save. But this could be my fault as i usually back out of the message and go to delete stuff trought settings, instead of using button from the message

On xbox 360 I could not even use their store to find games because it were so damn confusing

Last edited:

Dane

My main issue with the Xbox OS is how slow it can be, the UI itself is good, can be look somewhat defiant at first but you get on quickly. I hope the new revision fixes that performance.

The PS4 UI is simple and easier to navigate and never had issues performance wise, but god forbid that PS Store app from coming back, that thing had a shit performance in my experience and the worst way to search for stuff (as if I was using that Da Vinci Code device).

Last edited:
You do anything in particular to correct it or did it just sort itself out?
Nothing I've done. I try to dust my room and keep everything from overheating. Also I'm part of the tier-D trial of new updates and stuff so maybe it got patched for me. Maybe this year there has been fewer power outages? Couldn't tell ya, its just been working. I'm using the old black one BTW.

Last edited:

stranno

PS3 XMB is my favourite after the more minimalist PSP XMB.

Blades Menu in XBOX 360 is probably the best UI ever seen on a MS machine, while the current one could be the worst, by far (its amazing how awful and clunky it works in XBOX One X).

Last edited:
F

Foamy

Unconfirmed Member
I found the OS became a lot less sluggish on my One X when I got a 2TB external drive and transferred everything on to that.

So, I got home from work, put The Division to install and went to have a shower. Did it, then had dinner, install was at 68%. "You can start the game now". So I did it, as soon as it loads it, "installing Manhattan".

Jesus Flipping Christ. It's still at 83%. This is unbelievably slow.

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
Just a tip that may help some of you. I changed my router to 2.4ghz/5ghz and the improvement is night and day, a lot less laggy and lots faster in loading in store/community stuff etc. Also my Pro has improved just as much when loading in internet related content.
P.s my router had options for 2.4ghz, 5ghz or both, went both as i tried 5ghz and found that other devices wouldn't connect.

Downloading a game on gamepass is a pain in the arse. It loads the full game page up, plus links to other games, auto-plays a trailer that causes the window the freeze temporarily so you cannot select download for a few seconds, after than it's just a slug-fest.

What's worse and unbelievably retarded, is that the games don't come with a quick description of what the game is, what it does or what genre it is. Take a lesson from Steam you dicks.

I would also like to multi-select games and 'add to queue', rather than going in and out of loads of pages.

GymWolf

I love ultra simple and clean ui, so yes, it's fucking terrible.

I use the xbox app on pc and it's the same confusing shit even there.

The Xbox OS is part of the reason why I just didn't play a lot on Xbox One while I had one (3 actually). It's terrible, bloated, and the ads really put me off. The PS4 OS isn't perfect but at least I just put my games into folders and scroll through them. Switch is similar though I really wish I could use folders.

Thanati

I mean the PS3 was pretty bad back in the day but that was a long time ago. How is the One so bad in 2019. Almost 2020.

The UI is sluggish and bad. The footage recording feature sucks balls compared to the PS4.

Yes, yes it is.

It's an atrocious UI!

ethomaz

Banned
oh sweet! post a vid
Touche.
I forgot you because it is too boring to record a video.

Super fast... any lag is because I couldn't navigate faster due using one hand to select and other hand to recorder.
You hold the button 2-3s and the menu shows instantaneous.

I told you how it is the superior experience on PS4.
What are you facing is really odd and not normal.

Last edited:

Mikey Jr.

Can no one record footage of their problem?

I keep hearing about this shitty os, but I rarely see footage of it sucking.

Jigsaah

Gold Member

I've had similar results on PS4, honestly. I do prefer the smoothness of PS4's UI over Xbox's but my game installs are definitely faster on my X than my PS4. Xbox added a feature where the game installation prioritizes files needed to start the game and to play a specific mode (for example, the campaign). Choosing to play the game (or any game) while installing slows down the download naturally. Happens on both systems. Mind you, my X may be faster due to it being a mid gen console vs. my base ps4. The UI is faster on my X than my base xbox one as well but still not quite as smooth as my ps4.

Last edited:

Iced Arcade

I prefer my x1 ui over my ps4s. But can be overwhelming with features and settings being buried. Ps4 UI just comes across as a toy interface but works.

FrankCaron

I don’t think it’s much better over on PS4. I have my issues with that OS/system too, including install speed, general speed, UI, and also download speed.

I will now commit the most dangerous act one can, on NeoGAF.

Although the lack of online options, like at all, and possibly the lack of finer details are as big a minus as the above, the Switch actually excels at a lot of everyday things I need an OS to excel at. It’s fast, fluid, well-laid out and gets the job done without ever getting in your way.
Totally agree with this, and if they'd done better on video recording, audio accessories, and the eShop not using the web front-end embed like Sony, it would've been the clear and away OS winner.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
I really don't know how MS still hasn't figured it out after six years, multiple redesigns, a complete re-architecture, and countless tweaks. It's still horrible. They should have swallowed their pride and ripped off the PS4 UI years ago.

RScrewed

The layout of every option annoys me to no end.

Why is see all "Games and Apps" a minor tile underneath a broader category? This is a game system, that should be the first and largest category, period.

Why do you have to go into Games and Apps, and then 'see all' and then 'updates' to see what is updating? That should also be a top level category like "Network Transfers" or "Pending Updates", you shouldn't have to drill down to that.

Why do you have to drill down into "System Settings" to do basic things like sync controllers?

There's too many to list. Most importantly, why is NONE of it customizeable? Afraid we might actually just use the system to game and not be able to mold our experience to sell more games?

Seriously, take a look at the latest screenshots of the dashboard when you boot it up:

In *all* of those screenshots, 'All Games' and 'Settings' are hidden. Wth?

Home
Mixer
Community
Entertainment
Store

Those are the top level categories visible. Genius.

Chittagong

Gold Member
I say it in all these threads but jfc why can‘t I have just a long list of games ordered by recently played on the primary screen. Why do I need to excavate my games out if the depths of a gaming console UI.

I won't defend it's UI, but I don't think it's horrible. I just want my 360 UI back. It was beautiful.

When I recently booted my 360 I honestly thought to myself that the UI seemed next gen. Both the ps4 and Xbox UI are annoying.

Last edited:
I can't for the life of me get the fucking blu ray player app to install. Its JANKED. Can't watch my 4k blu rays now. Has anyone had this issue? It just says install pending, and then it stops at 100% and says it still needs to be installed.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I've had similar results on PS4, honestly. I do prefer the smoothness of PS4's UI over Xbox's but my game installs are definitely faster on my X than my PS4. Xbox added a feature where the game installation prioritizes files needed to start the game and to play a specific mode (for example, the campaign). Choosing to play the game (or any game) while installing slows down the download naturally. Happens on both systems. Mind you, my X may be faster due to it being a mid gen console vs. my base ps4. The UI is faster on my X than my base xbox one as well but still not quite as smooth as my ps4.

That install feature MS added has been on the PS4 since launch in 2013.

I’m confused.

Touche.
I forgot you because it is too boring to record a video.

Super fast... any lag is because I couldn't navigate faster due using one hand to select and other hand to recorder.
You hold the button 2-3s and the menu shows instantaneous.

I told you how it is the superior experience on PS4.
What are you facing is really odd and not normal.

that is not the game i mentioned at all....

I got an Xbox One X last year to complement my PS4 pro and man, I couldn't believe how bad the OS was.

I'm not saying the PS4 UI is the greatest and maybe I'm just more used to it, but to me it's so much more fluid and intuitive.

The Xbox OS is confusing, slow, riddled with ads, very not-focused on games somehow, waking it up from sleep takes a LOT longer than my PS4, and don't even get me started on the install times from disc.

Is it supposed to take like 20-30 minutes? Installing patches is also a lot slower. To me, it's incomprehensible how a console OS could be so bad in 2019.

The only thing that was even slower and considerably worse was the Wii U OS, oh lord...

It is like that in all games because game and system uses different resources on PS4.
Now stop the bullshit.

not sure what's up with the sony defense force nerve i hit with you

but like i said, do the same thing with black ops 4 and you'll see the lag i mentioned

Skyr

I recently fired my 360 back up and the OS felt way snappier and faster than on my X.
Amazing how they fucked this up so hard and apparently can’t get fixed too.

SebastianM

not sure what's up with the sony defense force nerve i hit with you

but like i said, do the same thing with black ops 4 and you'll see the lag i mentioned

I believe you, stop trying to convince that guy he's obviously trolling you at this point.

It happened to me on bo3, when playing multiplayer the side menu lagged like crazy, took almost 5 to 10 seconds pop up. Same deal with bo4, i'm pretty sure it's a cpu/ram management thing and exclusive to those titles, treyarch have never been known for their technical wizardry.

Top Bottom