• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Venom Snake the best "snake" design in all of Metal Gear Solid?

Yeah, but its kinda unfair. Snake looks really good in the MGS3 remake.

mgs3-pachinko.jpg

This is the first time I've ever seen this.

What the fuck is this. Why the fuck did they turn MGS3 into some kind of fucking slot machine game.

WHY DIDN'T YOU JUST REMAKE THE GAME IN THE FOX ENGINE

WHAT WERE YOU THINKING

WHY DID YOU DO THIS TO ME

CUNTS

Coreda

I'm quite fond of the MGS3 design. One of the things I like about Venom is despite his own hardships they still managed to convey a sense of inner reflection and at times kindness. There's certainly a lot of visual interest in just his face.

287700_2016051320350708jtg.jpg

Venom Snake design is indeed the best... And I'm sorry I don't care what anyone says... He's the
real
Snake in my book...

The things he did... For his country and in his service... Unparalleled by anyone in that universe I'm just sorry to say.

Old snake design is tied with mgs2 demo CD design. Just so iconic

eh.....he's literally brainwashed into someone else's shadow...

Vengal

And then things are revealed to him. And despite finding this out he still decides to carry on doing his job playing his part until his dieing breath.

All for the greater good.

Lol didn't he have literally no time to do that, solid was attacking the base when he found out.

Roni

Gold Member
I don't get it. You can explain it to me. I don't care about spoilers.

Some people might, so I'll tag this anyway.

It's actually more than just that, though I'm sure that factors in too. Phantom Pain has a whole thing with V and what it represents. Both in V as a letter and as the roman numeral.

Venom Snake, canonically speaking, doesn't seem to be Snake's actual codename throughout The Phantom Pain, but a throwaway reference/joke Ocelot says when briefing him after he wakes up in 1984. It is used for the audience, to help differentiate this particular Snake from the others - there's a reason for that we'll get to in a second.

Anyway, so why Venom? For most of MGSV's marketing, this incarnation of Snake was implicitly portrayed as a bitter and vengeful one. Because he has been through hell since the ending of Peace Walker and has been essentially left for dead by an unknown attacker, he is looking for vengeance on those responsible. These vengeful emotions are like poison, making him either be or allow others in his place to be extra harmful to those he attacks - in this game, Snake is not too phased by torture, letting both Ocelot and Miller do what they want with prisoners they take.

A poisonous snake is said to be venomous.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain is also the fifth installment of the espionage series on consoles. V being the roman symbol for 5, for you lurking fifth graders out there.

Well... this brings us back to his codename: Venom, with some idea of the meaning behind the name. But that's not all of it. The big twist in MGSV lies in the fact you're not playing as the original Big Boss, but as MSF's top soldier who has been both physically and mentally altered to believe he is Snake. As Major Zero himself puts it: he's made another Snake.

At that point in time, the Les Enfants Terribles project had come and gone, so by 1984 you already had 4 versions of Snake. The original (Big Boss), David (Solid), Eli (Liquid) and George (Solidus). So this Snake is the fifth one to exist. Which is why his codename also starts with V, because he is the fifth Snake to be created.

This is what the phrase "V has come to." really means: the fifth Snake has awakened.

So, with all of that out of the way, Venom is a codename that neatly packages numerous references to both the character's history, emotional state and place in the grand scheme of things.

He is a snake, he's fine with those under him being vengeful, bitter and harsh on those who have wronged him. He is the fifth Snake in the story. He also has reasons to hate many characters in this story Skull Face, Zero or even Big Boss himself - depending on your interpretation of the ending.

Venom can be read as the roman numeral 5. But it is also a noun that represents the poisonous substance secreted by snakes and it doubles as the meaning for "extreme malice and bitterness shown in someone's attitudes, speech, or actions."

On the topic at hand, I think Venom Snake is an excellent outcome to the conscious effort of making something original and unique that is meant to look remarkably similar to something old and established.

I think MGS4's Old Snake would win if he had a full beard, but as things are I think Venom takes the cake for me too. All other designs feel pretty cookie cutter military badass to me, which is fine, it's just that Venom is really asymmetrical, and memorable because of it. I also dig the ponytail + scarf combo. The ponytail by itself feels odd to be, but I love it when it goes along with the scart of the Sneaking Suit's tall collar.

Johndoey

Banned
This is the first time I've ever seen this.

What the fuck is this. Why the fuck did they turn MGS3 into some kind of fucking slot machine game.

WHY DIDN'T YOU JUST REMAKE THE GAME IN THE FOX ENGINE

WHAT WERE YOU THINKING

WHY DID YOU DO THIS TO ME

CUNTS

I think Konami's official statement on the matter is:
5hTvlFo.jpg

Some people might, so I'll tag this anyway.

It's actually more than just that, though I'm sure that factors in too. Phantom Pain has a whole thing with V and what it represents. Both in V as a letter and as the roman numeral.

Venom Snake, canonically speaking, doesn't seem to be Snake's actual codename throughout The Phantom Pain, but a throwaway reference/joke Ocelot says when briefing him after he wakes up in 1984. It is used for the audience, to help differentiate this particular Snake from the others - there's a reason for that we'll get to in a second.

Anyway, so why Venom? For most of MGSV's marketing, this incarnation of Snake was implicitly portrayed as a bitter and vengeful one. Because he has been through hell since the ending of Peace Walker and has been essentially left for dead by an unknown attacker, he is looking for vengeance on those responsible. These vengeful emotions are like poison, making him either be or allow others in his place to be extra harmful to those he attacks - in this game, Snake is not too phased by torture, letting both Ocelot and Miller do what they want with prisoners they take.

A poisonous snake is said to be venomous.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain is also the fifth installment of the espionage series on consoles. V being the roman symbol for 5, for you lurking fifth graders out there.

Well... this brings us back to his codename: Venom, with some idea of the meaning behind the name. But that's not all of it. The big twist in MGSV lies in the fact you're not playing as the original Big Boss, but as MSF's top soldier who has been both physically and mentally altered to believe he is Snake. As Major Zero himself puts it: he's made another Snake.

At that point in time, the Les Enfants Terribles project had come and gone, so by 1984 you already had 4 versions of Snake. The original (Big Boss), David (Solid), Eli (Liquid) and George (Solidus). So this Snake is the fifth one to exist. Which is why his codename also starts with V, because he is the fifth Snake to be created.

This is what the phrase "V has come to." really means: the fifth Snake has awakened.

So, with all of that out of the way, Venom is a codename that neatly packages numerous references to both the character's history, emotional state and place in the grand scheme of things.

He is a snake, he's fine with those under him being vengeful, bitter and harsh on those who have wronged him. He is the fifth Snake in the story. He also has reasons to hate many characters in this story Skull Face, Zero or even Big Boss himself - depending on your interpretation of the ending.

Venom can be read as the roman numeral 5. But it is also a noun that represents the poisonous substance secreted by snakes and it doubles as the meaning for "extreme malice and bitterness shown in someone's attitudes, speech, or actions."

On the topic at hand, I think Venom Snake is an excellent outcome to the conscious effort of making something original and unique that is meant to look remarkably similar to something old and established.

I think MGS4's Old Snake would win if he had a full beard, but as things are I think Venom takes the cake for me too. All other designs feel pretty cookie cutter military badass to me, which is fine, it's just that Venom is really asymmetrical, and memorable because of it. I also dig the ponytail + scarf combo. The ponytail by itself feels odd to be, but I love it when it goes along with the scart of the Sneaking Suit's tall collar.

Damn all that, just to explain it! It sounds like V still has the crazy story shit in it like the others. I doubt I will remember any of this by the time I play the game.

Blablurn

I will always prefer Snake from MGS1. He was icecold and badass. I missed that about him in later iterations or while playing Big Boss.

Damn all that, just to explain it! It sounds like V still has the crazy story shit in it like the others. I doubt I will remember any of this by the time I play the game.

The only leftover stories for V.Snake is the cut 'Lord of the flies' storyline, how V.Snake became the commander of Foxhound after all these.

The rest, we already knew.....he setup outer heaven while being commander of foxhound, asked Solid Snake to infiltrate via operation n313 and got killed in the end.

Murtrod

Serious soft spot for Naked Snake and Old Snake. Venom Snake was fine, but Jack in his younger days looks so much better.

plasmasd

Would love to see a render of mgs1 snake before he cut his hair with the sneaking suit. The best rendition of any character was big boss for 5 minutes at the end of MGS 4. He looked exactly like what I always imagined from the watercolor paintings in mgs. Pachinko Snake destroys my soul everytime

My order goes like this:

1. MGS3 Snake
2. Venom Snake
3. MGS1 Snake
4. MGS2 Snake + Iroquois Pliskin
5. PW Snake
6. MGS4 Snake

A lot of my reasoning comes down to Snake's eyes and his various beard styles. MGS3 Snake takes the top spot because his eyes have a more relaxed look and they still work well with the bandana. Also, one of the best Snake beards in the series!

6vs162R.jpg

Venom Snake is in second place mostly due to his voice but the changes they made to his design really work. The ponytail, scruffy beard, bionic arm, and even the horn are all great additions; and all of his clothing options look really nice as well.

Uhd5Rkl.jpg

MGS1 Snake has an interesting look, with no mullet, flowing bandana or beard he instead opted for a muscle suit and eighteen-pack abs. The unfiltered textures on the PS1 actually worked quite well and implied a decent amount of detail where there really isn't too much. His codec portrait is also super handsome!

Obs37ZQ.jpg

2miaCSx.gif

MGS2 Snake falls flat for me due to his eyes. There's just not enough space between his eyes and the giant bandana and it has always looked off to me. The mullet and overall look is quite good but the eyes just make him look awkward instead of cool. His Iroquois Pliskin model alleviates this somewhat but it's not as well refined as the MGS3 version so it still comes up short in my list.

0UP8Jxi.jpg

2P19aEE.jpg

Peace Walker Snake could have been the best one but his voice and crummy beard are a let down for me. With his moustache and beard now disconnected in an awkward fashion and his overly gravelly voice I can't help but put him near the bottom of the list. It's a shame though because his clothing options are great.

yNpehBX.jpg

WaPjsfe.jpg

MGS4 Snake just looks bad. The furrowed bandana also being the largest bandana by far combined with the moustache is just a terrible look. His voice performance is also worse than the PW one so I can't help but put him right at the bottom. Oh well, at least we have the Young Snake mask, right? Oh wait, never mind, the giant bandana is eating his head too.

wNwEc8A.jpg

J2956YJ.jpg

Honourable mention, Super Smash Bros. Brawl's version of Snake. I feel it's a nice middle ground between MGS2 and 3's designs and I like it quite a bit!

t7HAZYc.png

Zalman

I think I prefer the Peace Walker design, which is strange because I don't particularly care about the game itself.

SgtCobra

That title goes to Old Snake, perhaps the most baddass character in video games without having to resort to crazy powers or something like that.

Disgraced

I like Old and MGR Raiden's designs just as much as V.

I don't like Snake's look in 2 much at all, actually. I like Snake best with a lot of facial hair or none of it, and the scruff he has going on there doesn't do it for me. I also don't like how round his model's face is. He just looks too soft, which is ironic.

After Old, Cyborg Raiden, and V I like MGS1 Snake, 3 Snake, and 2 Raiden almost as much.

J-Skee

First of all, this picture at the time had my HYPED for Metal Gear Solid V.

But, for me personally, for me, the best Snake design wise is (major MGS4 spoilers)
Big Boss
. That moment when you find out
he's (comically) still alive & when you actually see him standing there with the Patriot in hand wearing the coat of the old FOXHOUND unit. He had this sort of gravitas to him.

To this day, I'm still upset about the ending of MGSV
& how we never really got to see him turn into the terrorist he would ultimately become. But oh well.

Roni

Gold Member
To this day, I'm still upset about the ending of MGSV
& how we never really got to see him turn into the terrorist he would ultimately become. But oh well.

That's in the secret ending of Peace Walker.

Top Bottom