• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Warner Montreal (Arkham Origins) making a Suicide Squad (supervillain team) game?

sjay1994

It's definitely post-Origins, pre-Asylum.
Contrary to what you said, I'm pretty sure Harley says something like "This again?" when she wakes up after being drugged, so it seemed like she was familiar with the SS. As for Deathstroke and Bronze Tiger, just because they're in the SS doesn't mean that they're on this particular mission. In the film, Waller actually sent the SS to retrieve a list of the entire SS roster/potential roster from the Riddler.

Also, AoA kind of sucks but I'd be really interested in a SS game, especially if the movie isn't canon. If it is canon, however, I'm looking forward to the explanation for Waller's incredible weight gain.

Yeah it does.

That movie is so filled with inconsistencies from the games that its baffling.

From Wallers weight gain to Deadshot suddenly becoming sympathetic dad character when he is nothing like that in the games.

Not to mention
Joker takes over arkham again

I mean I understand they are called the Arkham series, but fuck.

post-26847-he-cant-keep-getting-away-with-2bPg.gif

TheOddOne

Confused as to where AoA would take place in continuity.
Harley seemed to be unfamilair with the suicide squad but if she had a dossier about it in Akrham Orignis, that's a bit odd. Joker is alive, and he died in Arkham City. There was no Deathstroke or Bronze Tiger on the team either.
Origins:
The Character Trophy of Harley is holding a clipbord about the Suicide Squad. That doesn't seem untentional.

During Blackgate:
These three cutscenes confirm that Amanda Waller has recruited Deathshot, Bronze Tiger and Rick Flag for the Squad.

Lore is all over the place between those two games.

DOWN

Banned
Will it, too, prioritize monetization over solving its broken gameplay at launch?

They didn't. They never dropped debugging game-breaking glitches. They stopped aiming for player avoidable glitches because their publisher said to and wouldn't pay for it.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
It's definitely post-Origins, pre-Asylum.
Contrary to what you said, I'm pretty sure Harley says something like "This again?" when she wakes up after being drugged, so it seemed like she was familiar with the SS. As for Deathstroke and Bronze Tiger, just because they're in the SS doesn't mean that they're on this particular mission. In the film, Waller actually sent the SS to retrieve a list of the entire SS roster/potential roster from the Riddler.

Also, AoA kind of sucks, but I'd be really interested in a SS game, especially if the movie isn't canon. If it is canon, however, I'm looking forward to the explanation for Waller's incredible weight gain.

This is weird.
if they are not appearing in the movie, why tease the recruitment of them as a setup for the movie?

If they do a SS game (they are), I hope Deadshot isn't in it, or at most is a teammember that doesn't do much. Shit character through and through. I'd rather the focus be on Harley and/or Slade.

If they do a SS game (they are), I hope Deadshot isn't in it, or at most is a teammember that doesn't do much. Shit character through and through. I'd rather the focus be on Harley and/or Slade.

Ostrander did a great job with Deadshot, both in Suicide Squad and the Deadshot mini series.

I'd take playing as Deadshot, Bronze Tiger, and Captain Boomerang over Harley and Deathstroke if given the choice.

Wiktor

Deadshot seems more interesting than Harley and Slade from gameplay perspective though

Messi

Ostrander did a great job with Deadshot, both in Suicide Squad and the Deadshot mini series.

I'd take playing as Deadshot, Bronze Tiger, and Captain Boomerang over Harley and Deathstroke if given the choice.

Good luck getting a Suicide Squad game these days without Harley, she is DCs golden goose. Deathstroke is shit hot right now too.

Blue Lou

After yesterday's announcement about the cast for the movie, I'm looking forward to this.

I hadn't heard of the Suicide Squad 'til I saw people mention it when discussing Arkham Origins. Deathstroke was the toughest challenge in that game, I hope he's in the game. I've since seen Assault on Arkham and the Arrow television series. I'm fully on board with this idea.

Any word from Montreal* or updates on the project since then? Any chance at E3?

Seems like this game has been in development for an awfully long time. Wonder if it is canned.

Apathy

Probably, and it will probably come out to coincide with the film. Seeing as rocksteady is busy finishing up AK, and the Montreal studio had been free since their last game, they would have to be making something.

Probably, and it will probably come out to coincide with the film. Seeing as rocksteady is busy finishing up AK, and the Montreal studio had been free since their last game, they would have to be making something.

Wondering if it's a shoe in for SDCC, seems that they wouldn't want to overshadow Arkham Knight and they'd want to cross promote with the movie.

ninjabat

This will probably only show at e3 next year. WB will most likely try and highlight games coming end of this year. Like their lego games.

Edit: and mad max

This will probably only show at e3 next year. WB will most likely try and highlight games coming end of this year. Like their lego games.

Edit: and mad max
Personally speaking anything developed or even publisher by Warner Bros. is an insta buy for me, though their DLC strategy is a bit shitty, they do deliver when it comes to games.

And I wonder what they will have for E3, Shadow of Mordor GOTY already released, I doubt they got anything Middle Earth related to show now, Monolith did great though with Shadow of Mordor, so maybe we will see them going back and rebooting F.E.A.R.

Arkham Knight is about to release, but there is the rumored Collection, so we got that as well, I don't think they will announce Suicide Squad this year, They may talk about it, but that's it, They will keep it for E3-2016 to release it with the movie.

So that leaves us with a couple of Lego games, and that's it for WB, I really hope they go a surprise or two for us, I'd love for a Green Arrow game or something.
A New F.E.A.R game please!!

f.e.a.r._2_wallpaper002.jpg
Monolith should get back to it, WB should expand them, build them into 2 teams, 1 for Middle Earth and the other for F.E.A.R, cause the new FEAR Online game is not appealing one bit.

Neoxon

Okay, I realize I'm probably super LTTP on this one, but I searched for a thread and there doesn't seem to be one so...

Thanks to FoneBone for pointing out one was teased.

2010:
-Warner Montreal was founded.
-Geoff Johns teased that a "very violent" Suicide Squad game was in developer.

2012:
-Geoff Johns teases the Suicide Squad game again:

2013:
-(Spoilers for a video game) (Game Title:
Arkham Origins
) (Spoilers:
"In the post-credits of Batman: Arkham Origins, Amanda Waller recruits Deathstroke into the Suicide Squad, hinting at a possible Squad appearance in future Batman: Arkham games, or the aforementioned Suicide Squad game." [via Wikipedia]
)
-(Spoilers for a different video game) (Game Title:
Arkham Origins Blackgate
) (Spoilers:
"Several cut-scenes in Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate implicate Amanda Waller and the Suicide Squad in the game's prison riot plot. Waller and Rick Flag, Jr. are shown recruiting Bronze Tiger and Deadshot in the post-credits scene." [via Wikipedia]
)

2014:
-Warner Montreal has open job postings looking for Unreal Engine experience for AAA games. They are presumably still sharing the same tech base that Rocksteady and Netherrealm use, and is most recently being used in Arkham Knight.
-Arkham Knight is the final "Arkham" game, and this would be a pretty easy way to have a AAA game coming out with characters from the Batman universe to help keep capitalizing on the series' popularity.
-Warner noted that 3 years seemed too long for consumers to be without a AAA Batman title, which is why Origins exists. However, given the studio was founded in 2010 and Arkham City released in 2011, it's probable that making Arkham games wasn't the original idea behind the studio's AAA aspirations.
-Warner Montreal is 400 person (or perhaps more now), so they could definitely handle multiple major games at once. They were also always planned to get this large, so they presumably had a large project slate in mind.

Note: If you want to yell at me noting they aren't a supervillain team, that's fine, it's probably pretty obvious I don't follow comics religiously.

Update:

The cast seems to match up with hints in the TV show Arrow. The full roster seems to be:

And in regards to
Harley Quinn
if you look at their model in the model viewer there is a distinct hint towards that as well (thanks EatChildren).
Didn't Assault on Arkham follow up on the Suicide Squad teases from Origins?

Top Bottom