• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ISIS releases video purporting to show Islamic State killing 21 Egyptian Christians

Status
Not open for further replies.

Demon Ice

Banned
yeah, no.

Thanks for playing, Junior.

The position taken is that god gives men free will. That free will can be abused to do evil and every man must choose his own path. That dying before your time is not god's will for your life; god did not "pick a flower from his garden" when you die young with a bullet to the chest or head detached from your shoulders. Your life was stolen by thieves. Men committing evil acts and all such acts and actions will be judged in the end.

These are neither the first nor the last people of faith to die exclusively because of their beliefs.

How is that a comforting thought though? The bolded is very true, and I think that alone would make me lose my faith if I hadn't already.

I agree with you, but I've never been in their situation. People maintained their faith during the Holocaust as well. Sometimes faith is all they have left.

This is true, I guess I should be thankful I've never been in such a horrendously bad situation.

Unconfirmed:A group of militias torch the closed Egyptian embassy in Tripoly, it should be noted that Tripoli had fallen under control of Islamic Militia Libyas dawn that are connected to the Muslim Brotherhood

In Egypt the French minister of defense visits Pope Tawadros II of Alexandria to send his condolences after the tragic crime in Libya.

Edit: most of my sources are official Twitter accounts of various media outlets like Aljazeera, Al Arabiya and other Arabic media sources translated by me, unofficial news accounts sources I tag as unconfirmed or Rumored.

so, where is Obama and Hillary on this? where are their comments?

The removal of Momar Kadaffi Gadaffi was a great idea huh?

what a big fuck up, another removal of a dictator results into the country descending into sectarian chaos.

first Iraq, now Libya........ for what? for fuckin oil

now it's sectarian divide and you have those assholes ISIS in both Iraq and Libya

what a fuck up, total fuck up

what a big fuck up, another removal of a dictator results into the country descending into sectarian chaos.

now it's sectarian divide and you have those assholes ISIS in both Iraq and Libya

*golf clap* Did you copy this from /r/worldnews?

Bush and Cheney are responsible for the fuck up in Iraq as Obama is responsible for the fuck up in Libya

egg all over yall faces both sides......... oilz oil

Not to put too fine a point on it, but this is really a "hindsight is 20/20" thing. Should we encourage and prop up all dictatorships going forward because if we depose them we run the risk of another ISIS?

And yes, I'm aware that the US has a long-ass history of propping up friendly dictators. Doesn't mean that taking them down is the wrong thing to do.

fse

Remember when we removed gaddafi and we were told it was good for the humanity and the Libyan people? One of the safest most prosperous countries in Africa has now been reduced to this? I'm sure ISIS would still have been able to do this with gaddafi in charge.

Not only that the country has now also become a route used by tens of thousands of illegal immigrants who use it to cross to Europe every year and thanks to unscrupulous human traffickers end up drowning in the Mediterranean.

He got a knife to the ass didn't he.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
Just watched it not long ago, I wonder what it will take before Obama, Cameron & Putin etc decide to do something, it is like they are scared to do or say anything.

I think the time has finally arrived for this

Q13bKCu.gif

I am strangely (and morbidly) curious if the World's need to glass ISIS controlled middle east will ever out weigh the horrible cost in innocent lives such an action will produce.

I mean, what would be the tipping point that would bring China, USA and Russia together enough to unleash controlled nuclear hell upon the region?

Is there a way to do it without nukes in the future?.

I feel a dirty bomb blowing up in America wouldn't do it. But if one hit Russia, China and American ISIS territory would be toast.

Or will one of the neighboring states fighting ISIS be the ones to pull the trigger? (Israel)

Its too bad dropping pamphlets and giving innocents time to leave before we created the worlds largest window factory wouldn't work.

Jag

I am strangely (and morbidly) curious if the World's need to glass the middle east will ever out weigh the horrible cost in innocent lives such an action will produce.

Uh, you think shit is bad now. You are proposing a potential Mad Max scenario.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
Uh, you think shit is bad now. You are proposing a potential Mad Max scenario.

I apologies, I was being too broad so I made some edits.

Would taking out just places controlled by ISIS lead to a world wide mad max scenario?

Piggus

For oil? You may want to look up where we actually get most of our oil. The whole "we invaded 'em fer their oil!" bullshit needs to stop.

antonz

For oil? You may want to look up where we actually get most of our oil. The whole "we invaded 'em fer their oil!" bullshit needs to stop.

Action in Libya was very much done in order to protect European Oil interests. Why do you think Europe gave such a shit about Libya but doesn't give a shit about everywhere else.

Libya became destabilized and the thinktanks said the best course was to get rid of gaddafi and everything would get better

Piggus

Action in Libya was very much done in order to protect European Oil interests. Why do you think Europe gave such a shit about Libya but doesn't give a shit about everywhere else.

Okay, and yet we get all the blame for it even though our actions were relatively low key compared to France's evolvement from what I remember.

And as if shit wasn't going downhill fast in Libya before countries intervened. People here are acting like Libya had no problems and suddenly we decided to start bombing the place "fer dere oilz!"

How is that a comforting thought though? The bolded is very true, and I think that alone would make me lose my faith if I hadn't already.
Who said anything about comfort? It's simply the world as it should be viewed for those of such faith. Liking or disliking it won't change things, so it's really not part of the thought process. Persecution is not a new phenomena as they are all well aware. Several of the disciples were executed or otherwise murdered for their beliefs. If people are deleting the lives of disciples, what would make anyone else think it can't happen to them? And so it goes. They would rather not be put in such a position, but the believer will stick to their faith come what may.

I am strangely (and morbidly) curious if the World's need to glass ISIS controlled middle east will ever out weigh the horrible cost in innocent lives such an action will produce..

A nuke that would almost assuredly kill more innocent people than terrorists would result in even the Secular/non-religious Muslims and Atheists of Muslim background becoming disillusioned with the West, not to mention even people with no links to the Muslim World becoming outraged.

Right now it's only the most extreme religious zealots that join terrorist groups or commit terrorist activity against the West, but in a post-nuke world I think even many reasonably minded people (Muslim or otherwise) will begin organizing anti-Western activity and that's before taking into mind what Muslim majority militaries might do. Pakistan has nukes for instance...

Violet_0

Banned
Supporting the official Armies are the only answer, Islamists political groups shouldn't be trusted. They might be corrupt but they are the lesser of two evils, such places won't change by a blood fueled revolutions.

would this include Assad and his army? Because I'm not sure if there's a lesser evil in the Syria conflict

I think it's time for us Christians to channel our inner Crusaders and our atheist friends to channel their inner Pol Pots and put down these fuckers.

wait. what the hell

Unconfirmed:A group of militias torch the closed Egyptian embassy in Tripoly, it should be noted that Tripoli had fallen under control of Islamic Militia Libyas dawn that are connected to the Muslim Brotherhood

In Egypt the French minister of defense visits Pope Tawadros II of Alexandria to send his condolences after the tragic crime in Libya.

Edit: most of my sources are official Twitter accounts of various media outlets like Aljazeera, Al Arabiya and other Arabic media sources translated by me, unofficial news accounts sources I tag as unconfirmed or Rumored.

I'm following your posts. Thanks for keeping us updated.

Also Italy is chomping at the bit to lead a coalition of forces against Libyan ISIS.

Libya became destabilized and the thinktanks said the best course was to get rid of gaddafi and everything would get better
So why aren't they doing anything now? Isn't the oil supply similarly affected?

Libya was unfriendly with the West and fired on it civilians and bombed cities. The rebels were liberal-minded. Going in felt like a no-brainer back then. What's a real shame is that we let Libya fall back into the hands of pro-Gaddhafi Islamists (and ISIS supporters).

ISOM

So why aren't they doing anything now? Isn't the oil supply similarly affected?

Libya was unfriendly with the West and fired on it civilians and bombed cities. The rebels were liberal-minded. Going in felt like a no-brainer back then. What's a real shame is that we let Libya fall back into the hands of pro-Gaddhafi Islamists (and ISIS supporters).

Short of an occupation, I don't think there is much choice in that.

Blader

But what does that have to do with the US? We don't get oil from Libya, so the idea that Obama (somehow completely unilaterally!) knocked out Gaddafi for oil seems especially off point.

You would think the EU would be more interested in sending boots on the ground at this point given the proximity to all this. It's akin to ISIS steadily moving up from South America with recruiters committing crimes in Texas.

FaintDeftone

This is disgusting in every shape and form. I can't see how anyone could do this to someone. I hope these fuckers get obliterated and history forgets they ever existed.

I didn't realize that Barack Obama is responsible for the Libyan revolution.

Yeah, I thought that the Libyan people rose up to over throw Gaddafi. And then when he was gonna slaughter them, the French proposed helping the rebels. The USA only got involved since we have special capabilities to help the French and British.

Thanks Obama.

You would think the EU would be more interested in sending boots on the ground at this point given the proximity to all this. It's akin to ISIS steadily moving up from South America with recruiters committing crimes in Texas.
They don't even want to deal with Ukraine and that is on their border.

Snake

The equivalency with Iraq is nonsense. The US did not unilaterally invade a stable Libya under Gaddafi. NATO intervened in a preexisting rebellion against Gaddafi where thousands of lives had already been lost. The situation did not become a "fuck up" because of NATO, it was already "fucked up." And the failure to adequately aid Libya in the aftermath falls mainly on France, Italy, and the UK, whose interests were being defended in the intervention.

daniels

EU is all talk no action i am sure some harsh worded letters are being written right now.

Why did Russia and China allow the UN Chapter 7 resolution authorizing military force against Libya if it was just all about "European Oil" interests?

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Why did Russia and China allow the UN Chapter 7 resolution authorizing military force against Libya if it was just all about "European Oil" interests?

Do you think they had anything to gain from that? China specifically makes a great deal of money from western consumerism which oil significantly helps to drive, it's not the cold war anymore. The only country that may object on that reason is Russia and it's not as they don't have their own oil interests to protect.

Weird thing that some people on Twitter and some media outlets are noticing in the footage was the director was giving orders in English and we know that Libyans speak Arabic, this means that among ISIS group in Libya are international members, how did they arrive to Libyan soil?
Another aspect noted is the physique of the criminals are strangely huge and this is rare in Libya.
Edit: another aspect that is strange in the video is the one member of ISIS that was wearing an expensive Rolex watch on his left wrist.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Weird thing that some people on Twitter and some media outlets are noticing in the footage was the director was giving orders in English and we know that Libyans speak Arabic, this means that among ISIS group in Libya are international members, how did they arrive to Libyan soil?
Another aspect noted is the physique of the criminals are strangely huge and this is rare in Libya.

Libya has huge borders with Egypt, Tunisia an Algeria. It is not that hard.

Joni

Edit: another aspect that is strange in the video is the one member of ISIS that was wearing an expensive Rolex watch on his left wrist.

The country is losing people by the boatloads. It wouldn't be strange for people to be able to enter the country the same way.

spekkeh

Banned
Really good article, seems to have been ignored in this thread it seems.

It's a good article, but it doesn't exactly take a PhD to understand Al-Qaeda is fundamentally different from a would-be caliphate. The eschatological point is interesting though, I thought paving the way for the Mahdi was more part of Shiite Islamist thought. It's good at calling a spade a spade though with respect to its Islamic tenets.

edit: spoke too early, after reading all of it, yes it's essential reading.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom