• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ISIS Sex Slave: Yazidi Woman, 17, Describes Horrific Ordeal At Hands Of Islamic State

Status
Not open for further replies.

daniels

If I were a Muslim, I would certainly be offended if someone said my religion treated women badly

You are allowed to feel offended it is your problem because the religion treats woman badly just like almost any other religion.
But you can be thankfull that the huge majority dont follow their religion to the letter and use some common sense or simply ignore the bad stuff.

rambis

Banned
He is talking about the religion not the people, the huge majority of people usually have the common sense to ignore the barbaric shit in a religion.

Theres millions of islamics who subscribe to Islam/The Quaran and arent keeping sex slaves and beating women. So again, how is shitting on an entire group of people for the wrongdoings of some ok?

I'll shit on Christianity for being homophobic too.

When you have the basis somewhere in these religious books that X group is evil or inferior or whatever. People will use it to fuck over others.

People are unreliable and petty and nobody can be trusted with religion.

I'm sure ISIS manage to justify everything they do with selective reading of their holy texts.
Because all of christianity is homophobic?

daniels

Theres millions of islamics who subscribe to Islam/The Quaran and arent keeping sex slaves and beating women. So again, how is shitting on an entire group of people for the wrongdoings of some ok?

Again he is shitting on the religion not on the people that use common sense and choose to ignore all the barbaric shit in it.

dan2026

A lot of readings of the Bible condemn homosexuality as 'immoral'.
So yes.

But this is off topic.

Arkos

Nose how to spell and rede to
It's like we're going over the first hill on a roller coaster in this thread. Hands up everybody! Time to go down down down

You are allowed to feel offended it is your problem because the religion treats woman badly just like almost any other religion.
But you can be thankfull that the huge majority dont follow their religion to the letter and use some common sense or simply ignore the bad stuff.

Like I said, it's all a matter of perspective.... I'm not a Muslim and not an active practicing Christian, i'm just a bloke that enjoys video games, music and can use his common sense to the fullest..... but my 'common sense' was made by my exposure to Western cultures....

eitherway, i'm not disagreeing with you, i'm only saying we shouldn't generalize just like they shouldn't be extreme fucking nutter asshole scum...

It's like we're going over the first hill on a roller coaster in this thread. Hands up everybody! Time to go down down down

yeap, this thread is getting dangerously derailed :lol

rambis

Banned
Again he is shitting on the religion not on the people that use common sense and choose to ignore all the barbaric shit in it.

You cant shit on a religion without shitting on the people who practice it and live by it.

Religion is all personal interpretation. The Quaran/Bible/Tora etc is nothing more than one person's interpretation of somebody elses teachings. The way its taught and the way its practiced is all up to the individual and their faith.

People don't ignore anything when it comes to religion. If they do something on the basis of religion, its because they believe that its been instructed to them by their higher calling, not because its in the book.

So again, there's millions of people who faithfully practice Islam, and yet dont believe in some of the vile practices that the extremists do and dont deserve to get lumped with them just because botj groups claim to live by Islam.

A lot of readings of the Bible condemn homosexuality as 'immoral'.
So yes.

But this is off topic.
So alot equals all?

daniels

You cant shit on a religion without shitting on the people who practice it and live by it.

Lol do you really believe this shit?? Of course you can and you should!
With your train of thought any critisims or caricature of religion should not be allowed "because people practice it".
Do you really think it should not be allowed to critises or make fun of a particular religion?
But whatever i dont want to derail this thread any more so thats the last word from me on this.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Fucking disgusting. These people are evil, worthless scum, and I hope they are erased from the surface of the Earth sooner rather than later.

But also, I wish people (here and elsewhere) would stop being so damn apologetic towards religion. "This isn't Islam", etc. Isn't it? It's a version of Islam that doesn't align with most modem interpretations, that's for sure, but do you honestly think these people don't believe they are acting in accordance with their religion? They call themselves the "Islamic State", for fuck's sake. Most of what they're doing, if not everything, is probably supported by some passage in their holy book, and they probably really do believe with all their hearts they're acting in accordance with what their god wants. In the end, it's really just another manifestation of the ridiculous pick-and-choose nature of religions based on old books. It's just a particularly extreme, vile one. Who's to say their interpretation is wrong and yours is right, just because theirs goes against everything a civilized person would consider decent? What makes their version any less valid, if it is indeed somehow supported by some interpretation (all pretty much equally arbitrary) of the texts? While I obviously think these people's actions are undefendable, I'm not so sure they're following a less "true" version of Islam. You picking the parts YOU think are defendable and dismissing everything else as "not Islam" (or whichever religion we happen to be talking about) doesn't necessarily make your version any more right. But I'm getting a bit carried away here. Again, stop being so defensive and apologetic toward religion. It's not a "protected" subject that cannot be criticized. Or at least it shouldn't be.

Fucking disgusting. These people are evil, worthless scum, and I hope they are erased from the surface of the Earth sooner rather than later.

But also, I wish people (here and elsewhere) would stop being so damn apologetic towards religion. "This isn't Islam", etc. Isn't it? It's a version of Islam that doesn't align with most modem interpretations, that's for sure, but do you honestly think these people don't believe they are acting in accordance with their religion? They call themselves the "Islamic State", for fuck's sake. Most of what they're doing, if not everything, is probably supported by some passage in their holy book, and they probably really do believe with all their hearts they're acting in accordance with what their god wants. In the end, it's really just another manifestation of the ridiculous pick-and-choose nature of religions based on old books. It's just a particularly extreme, vile one. Who's to say their interpretation is wrong and yours is right, just because theirs goes against everything a civilized person would consider decent? What makes their version any less valid, if it is indeed somehow supported by some interpretation (all pretty much equally arbitrary) of the texts? While I obviously think these people's actions are undefendable, I'm not so sure they're following a less "true" version of Islam. You picking the parts YOU think are defendable and dismissing everything else as "not Islam" (or whichever religion we happen to be talking about) doesn't necessarily make your version any more right. But I'm getting a bit carried away here. Again, stop being so defensive and apologetic toward religion. It's not a "protected" subject that cannot be criticized. Or at least it shouldn't be.

oh, for sure!!! You're 100% spot on.

EVERYTHING they do is justified in some way (in their opinion at least) by the Quran and Sharia Law....

Kipe

They're in a conflict zone. People are going to do fucked up shit in war-torn areas. Clearly their brand of Islam is very extreme and unusual because Muslims in Southeast Asia, other parts of the Middle East, India, Europe, and North America don't behave like they do.

Second reason, Obama said what he said about Islam in his speech is because he is practicing realpolitiks. We need Muslim allies in order to accomplish our goals and create peace in the area. We don't need more Muslim enemies by shitting on Islam.

Edit:fixed spelling

ICKE

Banned
Lets not all forget that this goes on in almost every Middle-Eastern country, especially at top levels of the hierarchy. Girls are captured from farms in Eastern-Europe and Asia, shipped to rich individuals for their amusement but we are only supposed to care about ISIS, because it is a genocidal cult without any political finesse such as the Saudi elite. When the system collapses, then we start to find out the extent of it all. Gaddafi abused young women for decades :

http://www.news.com.au/world/the-macabre-rape-chamber-of-gaddafi/story-fndir2ev-1226811259114

The Saudis are at the same level, decapitating innocents and exploiting women. I bet a lot of people within the royal family have dungeons.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
There in a conflict zone. People are going to do fucked up shit in war-torn areas. Clearly there brand of Islam is very extreme and unusual because Muslims in Southeast Asia, other parts of the Middle East, India, Europe, and North America don't behave like they do.

Second reason Obama said what he said about Islam in his speech is because he is practicing realpolitiks. We need Muslim allies in order to accomplish our goals and create peace in the area. We don't need more Muslim enemies by shitting on Islam.

What you say is probably true, but it doesn't mean what I said isn't.

There in a conflict zone. People are going to do fucked up shit in war-torn areas. Clearly there brand of Islam is very extreme and unusual because Muslims in Southeast Asia, other parts of the Middle East, India, Europe, and North America don't behave like they do.

The way ISIS publicises its atrocities and the number of people they recruit with it who have no relation to the conflict except religion is quite exceptional.

None of what ISIS does is supported in Quran or Islamic teaching. Not just islam, no other religion condones murdering of civilians, beheadings, or destroying places of worship.

Sunni/Shiite sectarianism is not supported by anything. Here's a video of Sunni and Shiite imams speaking about unity. Cities have opened their doors and are providing aid to Christians fleeing the persecution, that link is a comprehensive article of muslims and leaders all over the world against ISIS. I'm not the most knowledgeable about the Quran granted, there are more informed members who can give a more satisfactory answer. It's not really a misinterpretation, just falsehoods and especially twisting actions in war at the time towards non-war massacres.

Metallix87

The problem is religion. Relying on old scriptures with mixed messages and outdated ideas with regards to several major issues (women, homosexuality, etc.) is bound to result in crazy, radical people taking those ideas and pushing them to extremes.

SmokyDave

None of what ISIS does is supported in Quran or Islamic teaching. Not just islam, no other religion condones murdering of civilians, beheadings, or destroying places of worship.
As far as ISIS are concerned, the Qur'an backs 'em up. You can argue that they're interpreting it wrong, but it's definitely a source of inspiration for them.

The Islamic State would claim you're wrong, and they'll put a boot on your face and slice your throat open to demonstrate just how fucking wrong you are. Now, what are you going to do about that?

They're gonna keep doing this

They're doing some fucked up shit right now probably and nobody's there to help

People over there better come up with something

Ponn

Banned

Sunni/Shiite sectarianism is not supported by anything. Here's a video of Sunni and Shiite imams speaking about unity. Cities have opened their doors and are providing aid to Christians fleeing the persecution, that link is a comprehensive article of muslims and leaders all over the world against ISIS. I'm not the most knowledgeable about the Quran granted, there are more informed members who can give a more satisfactory answer. It's not really a misinterpretation, just falsehoods and especially twisting actions in war at the time towards non-war massacres.

Tangent question, so preteens being married off and women being raped while on vacation in Dubai and being charged a crime for it, where does that fall?

-COOLIO-

The Everyman

This is well said.

magnetic

It really scares me how easy it seems to be to leave every trace of compassion and empathy behind once you believe that it´s you, the chosen ones, versus them, the unworthy.

Remember, this is something that is somewhere in all of us. There´s tons of research on how quickly humans can forget about their humanism.

...and now I´ll spend the next few hours trying to forget what I just read, until I can´t stop myself on clicking on the next link that tells me about the horrors of abuse and radicalism.

Nicktendo86

I remember a couple of weeks ago saying in the Obama tan suit thread that I was more concerned that he has said the US have no plan to deal with ISIS rather than the colour suit he was wearing. Someone commented saying something along the lines of so what, nothing to do with us.

I have no idea how any human being can read stories like this and feel 'oh well nothing to do with us we should say away'.

Tangent question, so preteens being married off and women being raped while on vacation in Dubai and being charged a crime for it, where does that fall?

That's a crime under sharia, the one and only source of human rights according to the Organization For Islamic Cooperation who speak for all muslims.

Religion can be criticized, sure, but putting the blame on Islam when its so obvious the problem lies on ISIS is absurd. A hell of a lot more muslims live perfectly in peace with everyone, yet we somehow criticize those as well for the rotten apples?

I could make a parallel with the Quran and the Bible, or the US Constitution, or Capitalism or whatever. When you want to act like an asshole, you look for any excuse to do so.

Musician

A hell of a lot more muslims live perfectly in peace with everyone, yet we somehow criticize those as well for the rotten apples?

Repeating something ten times doesn't make it true. What's being criticized is the fact that ideals like ISIS' can be legitimized by Islam.

If I, for example, say that it's fucked up that homophobic christians can point to a specific passage in the bible to legitimize their claim, am I bashing all christians? The point is absurd.

Skyzard

Banned
Discussion ? All I hear is Dan Carlin going on and on how stories like this are probably propaganda like the baby incubators in Kuwait and ISIS is a good thing as it will undo Western meddling.

That is what makes it very hard for me to trust stories like this.

Government and media willingly perpetuating lies to build support for military action.

Won't let myself get worked up without proper journalistic investigation - a phone call interview from a captive is not.

Qur'an (33:50) - "O Prophet! We have made lawful to thee thy wives to whom thou hast paid their dowers; and those (slaves) whom thy right hand possesses out of the prisoners of war whom Allah has assigned to thee"

Qur'an (8:69) - "But (now) enjoy what ye took in war, lawful and good"

Bukhari (41.598) - Slaves are property. They cannot be freed if an owner has outstanding debt, but can be used to pay off the debt.

Bukhari (62:137) - An account of women taken as slaves in battle by Muhammad's men after their husbands and fathers were killed. The woman were raped with Muhammad's approval.

Bukhari (34:432) - Another account of females taken captive and raped with Muhammad's approval. In this case it is evident that the Muslims intend on selling the women after raping them because they are concerned about devaluing their price by impregnating them. Muhammad is asked about coitus interruptus.

Bukhari (47.765) - A woman is rebuked by Muhammad for freeing a slave girl. The prophet tells her that she would have gotten a greater heavenly reward by giving her to a relative (as a slave).

Abu Dawud 1814 - "...[Abu Bakr] He then began to beat [his slave] him while the Apostle of Allah (pbuh) was smiling and saying: Look at this man who is in the sacred state (putting on ihram), what is he doing?" The future first caliph of Islam is beating his slave for losing a camel while Muhammad looks on in apparent amusement.

That's just a small collection from the Qu'ran and Hadith concerning just slavery ...it goes on and on. ISIS does exactly the same. All the beheadings, the forced conversions, the rapes and the slavery is all condoned in your holy books.

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
Episode 277, 9:02: I think what is going on is a long term positive.
Carlin also makes it clear that the long-term positive is going to be accompanied by short-term savagery and suffering.

I don't agree with all of his views, but let's not misrepresent his arguments.

Skyzard

Banned
Qur'an (33:50) - "O Prophet! We have made lawful to thee thy wives to whom thou hast paid their dowers; and those (slaves) whom thy right hand possesses out of the prisoners of war whom Allah has assigned to thee"

Bukhari (41.598) - Slaves are property. They cannot be freed if an owner has outstanding debt, but can be used to pay off the debt.

Bukhari (62:137) - An account of women taken as slaves in battle by Muhammad's men after their husbands and fathers were killed. The woman were raped with Muhammad's approval.

Bukhari (34:432) - Another account of females taken captive and raped with Muhammad's approval. In this case it is evident that the Muslims intend on selling the women after raping them because they are concerned about devaluing their price by impregnating them. Muhammad is asked about coitus interruptus.

Bukhari (47.765) - A woman is rebuked by Muhammad for freeing a slave girl. The prophet tells her that she would have gotten a greater heavenly reward by giving her to a relative (as a slave).

Abu Dawud 1814 - "...[Abu Bakr] He then began to beat [his slave] him while the Apostle of Allah (pbuh) was smiling and saying: Look at this man who is in the sacred state (putting on ihram), what is he doing?" The future first caliph of Islam is beating his slave for losing a camel while Muhammad looks on in apparent amusement.

That's just a small collection from the Qu'ran and Hadith concerning just slavery ...it goes on and on. ISIS does exactly the same. All the beheadings, the forced conversions, the rapes and the slavery is all condoned in your holy books.

There's only one holy book. The 2 quotes from it are directly from the religionofpeace website. For some reason I'm skeptical of the translations and how they're presented, but I know why you aren't.

SmokyDave

There's only one holy book. The 2 quotes from it are directly from the religionofpeace website. For some reason I'm skeptical of the translations and how they're presented, but I know why you aren't.
Provide a moderate translation and conservatives will disagree.

Provide a conservative translation and moderates will disagree.

Why can't both sides admit that neither of them knows what the book is on about?

Skyzard

Banned
Provide a moderate translation and conservatives will disagree.

Provide a conservative translation and moderates will disagree.

Why can't both sides admit that neither of them knows what the book is on about?

I'm not sure an Islam bashing site is one side of Islam at all.

But there are parts in the book that clarify, and even if it doesn't - no people in any country, arab, muslim or not, wants or accepts what they are doing - it's not even ethics, it's animal instinct that what we hear is awful. That should stop the train for most but the reddest.

Wellscha

I was about to write a long post detailing these quotes, thank you.

no mistranslations my friend, what you're reading is what nobody else is telling you about Islam.

Skyzard

Banned

no mistranslations my friend, what you're reading is what nobody else is telling you about Islam.

You guys need more Islam-integration than anyone, so you'd see how unnecessarily hateful you are being.

SmokyDave

I'm not sure an Islam bashing site is one side of Islam at all.

But there are parts in the book that clarify, and even if it doesn't - no people in any country, arab, muslim or not, wants or accepts what they are doing - it's not even ethics, it's animal instinct that what we hear is awful. That should stop the train for most but the reddest.
Well, that's not really true is it, as we've seen people leave the west to go and join these fuckwits.

Regardless, all I'm saying is that people will read what they want to read, and they'll have plenty of others that support them, from scholars and imams to random people on the street.

I googled one of the hadith above at random (Bukhari (34:432)) and then chose the first link. I got this. Try the same thing and do a little reading, you'll see it's just one big confused mess.

Skyzard

Banned
Well, that's not really true is it, as we've seen people leave the west to go and join these fuckwits.

Regardless, all I'm saying is that people will read what they want to read, and they'll have plenty of others that support them, from scholars and imams to random people on the street.

I googled one of the hadith above at random (Bukhari (34:432)) and then chose the first link. I got this. Try the same thing and do a little reading, you'll see it's just one big confused mess.

Some people would leave to join if they were called the Arab Army for the People or any other name. The reason that brings them there isn't a love of religion, it's hate.

I don't even bother with quotes that aren't from the book itself, that just seems way too messy.

All of the quotes are from that website. But yeah, I'm sure they're all mistranslations and if I happened to be an Islamic scholar I'd know that those verses and stories from the Quran and Hadith actually mean something completely different.
Muhammed was probably a big freedom and womens' rights fighter who handed out candy to children and was so loved by all, that people spontaneously wanted to convert to Islam.

Also Sharia law is just misunderstood and that all the countries that have implemented them being oppressive shitholes is just a coincidence.

Im tired of the religious and their army of apologists trying to work around the huge elephant in the room that is (their) religion.

It's all either not true Islam, or selective quoting, or it's bad translation, or the Bible does it too, or whatever excuse they can find to distance themselves from the insane vile hatred condoned and ordered in their holy book.

KmA

It's like, wow, you don't understand Islam at all! I can't believe nobody told me these things, so glad you guys are here to educate me.

Seriously, throw all the quotes out you want. All it shows is that you have the same understanding of Islam as an extremist.

Wellscha

You guys need more Islam-integration than anyone, so you'd see how unnecessarily hateful you are being.

It's like, wow, you don't understand Islam at all! I can't believe nobody told me these things, so glad you guys are here to educate me.

Seriously, throw all the quotes out you want. All it shows is that you have the same understanding of Islam as an extremist.

how is it hateful to point out that in Islam you could have sex with your slaves and the Quran permits you to do that?

How is it hateful to point that Muhammed and his followers did enslave their enemies women?

Context? mistranslation? unreliable sources? some other excuse?

Oh yes, let's ignore Hadith and Quran for whatever arbitrary reason because it makes our faith looks bad.

Skyzard

Banned
^ I was never taught to have sex with slaves. I don't think many are. I was taught Muhammed encouraged people to free slaves and better treatment for them at the time.

All of the quotes are from that website. But yeah, I'm sure they're all mistranslations and if I happened to be an Islamic scholar I'd know that those verses and stories from the Quran and Hadith actually mean something completely different.
Muhammed was probably a big freedom and womens' rights fighter who handed out candy to children and was so loved by all, that people spontaneously wanted to convert to Islam.

Also Sharia law is just misunderstood and that all the countries that have implemented them being oppressive shitholes is just a coincidence.

Im tired of the religious and their army of apologists trying to work around the huge elephant in the room that is (their) religion.

It's all either not true Islam, or selective quoting, or it's bad translation, or the Bible does it too, or whatever excuse they can find to distance themselves from the insane vile hatred condoned and ordered in their holy book.

Okay, I'll just accept quotes and explanations from a hate site then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom