• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It seems N5 was never an official codename for Nintendo's next console

GigaDrive

Banned
http://cube.ign.com/mail.html

GCNext
Had the press really settled on 'GCNext' as a codename before Revolution? Wasn't 'N5' much more widespread? A googling of 'Nintendo GCNext' and 'Nintendo N5' sure suggests so. (Besides, GCNext is a horrible choice considering the GameCube is commonly abbreviated GCN.) Well I guess it's somewhat moot now...but its appearence in the FAQ is kind of annoying.

Matt responds: Some crazy Nintendo-ites referred to the successor to GameCube as 'N5' for awhile. But this was never anywhere near official. In an interview, though, Nintendo president Satoru Iwata actually called the console 'GCNext.' This is the only reason some members of the press, myself included, clung to it.

so GCNext and Revolution are (or was, in the case of GCNext) the newest official names for Nintendo's next home console / system.

I recall back in 2001-2002, that 'GCN2' was a name (possibly) internally, at NTD or Nintendo Technology Design. was this actually true?

I liked N5 the best. simple, not confusing. but I can live with revolution for now. it's actually better than Dolphin, IMO... though I know that some of you loved the codename Dolphin. If Nintendo was to stick with water based names, I'd go with Megaladon, as in carcharocles megaladon, the ancient shark that dwarfed the modern great white :D

Tim

If Nintendo was to stick with water based names, I'd go with Megaladon, as in carcharocles megaladon, the ancient shark that dwarfed the modern great white
Rrrrrright. I actually liked the codename Dolphin.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
I thought it was just an easy way to talk about nintendo's next system, seeing as it will be their 5th, and all...

I wasn't aware anyone thought/knew it was the official codename.

mr2mike

Banned
I dont think people gave a flying fuck about it being official or not.

"Some crazy Nintendo-ites referred to the successor to GameCube as 'N5' for awhile."

Well isn't he a little bitch that's full of shit.

Doesn't take a crazy man to see the worth of a name like N5 for the purpose of identifying yet unannounced and unamed hardware, as whatever the name "Revolution" might bare when it sees launch, it would still be Nintendo's 5th console (and thus "N5"). of course, excluding portables and, eh.... virtualboy

Gattsu25

Banned
just like i refused to call the cube the NGC, i'm refusing to call the N5 the "Revolution"

fuck nintendo's official
Code:
names

Mr Mike

1 million Canadian dollars
I think the real point is that a lot of sites that claim to have an authority used N5 as a way to give their news weight. Especially some one like gamesindustry.biz. It's just heavily ironic that its IGN that has tried to debunk the name, when they probably used it too. I always thought that it was Nintendo fans' way of quantifying the next Nintendo machine as more important, numerically, than the PS3 or the Xbox2 - i.e. 'OMFG, 5 is teh higher number so it must be teh bette"!!!1!'

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Mr Mike said:
I always thought that it was Nintendo fans' way of quantifying the next Nintendo machine as more important, numerically, than the PS3 or the Xbox2 - i.e. 'OMFG, 5 is teh higher number so it must be teh bette"!!!1!'

You're joking, right? Nintendo fans couldn't POSSIBLY have called the hypothetical hardware the N5 because IT'S NINTENDO'S 5TH HOME CONSOLE, eh?

Fifth home console, anyway. Counting the GB, GBA, and VB, it's their eighth. Well, unless the DS comes out first. Then it's their ninth.

AniHawk

worldrunover said:
Fifth home console, anyway. Counting the GB, GBA, and VB, it's their eighth. Well, unless the DS comes out first. Then it's their ninth.

Fifth home console. NES > SNES > N64 > GCN > Revolution

Game Boy would follow under handhelds. Game Boy > Game Boy Pocket > Game Boy Light (?) > Game Boy Color > Game Boy Advance > Game Boy Advance SP

VB is in a class of its own. It's kinda like 32X meets Game Boy in a sense.

Top Bottom