• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It's (apparently) National Superhero Day in the US! Who's you're favorite?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Batman's gotta be my number one. But I also love love love my boy the Silver Surfer.

surfer9.jpg

kunonabi

Spider-Man

As a child I lived and breathed Spider-Man. No other hero came close. Sadly, I ended up losing interest in him with the clone stuff like many people did. I've tried getting back into his comics here and there but I've aggressively hated just about everything they've done with him since and I honestly have no interest in any of his comic stuff that keeps him away from MJ.

I had hoped that I could at least have some spider-man movies to fall back on but I didn't like the Raimi films and while I really enjoyed ASM and the first half of ASM2 I don't have that anymore either. MCU Spider-Man is not I want so I think I'm just done with Spidey in film too. I am reading Renew your vows which is great fun so maybe there is still a chance for Spider-Man to regain his spot.

Superman

I always loved Superman as Christopher Reeve's performance was a huge part of my life,
I'm named after him actually, but it wasn't until my teens/early adult years that I really connected with him. I was a huge Smallville fan and that lead me into reading more of his comics and engaging with the character on a more regular basis. Welling is my personal Superman just as Reeve and Reeves were for their generations and I've modeled quite a bit of myself after him. With Smallville ending and new 52 superman and MoS being absolute horseshit I've kind of shifted away from him as well. I still love the character but I don't see myself getting into his comics or other media anytime soon.

Captain America

My current favorite. Evans is Captain America just like Reeve is Superman. I was never a particular fan of the character in the comics but MCU Cap has managed to embody many of the traits that attract me to Superman and he really fits my image of what a good superhero is supposed to represent.

MisterHero

Hey I didn't know Alex Ross did an actual Chris Reeve Supes. Here's his take on Keaton Batman as well

vrkrhvd4zsna.jpg

actually I don't know if this is legit, I haven't seen it anywhere else

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Batman is the GOAT. No contest.

Best cartoon:
t0fKWWnl.jpg

Best comics:
wKVVhg6.jpg

Best movies:
C4bYyoul.jpg

Best games:
oFJwC0i.jpg

Best music:
2LyB5mw.gif

ReiGun

I love lots - Superman, Spider-Man, Aquaman - but one is really special to me.

8aa888b3220e72d4004d93a2715ed291.jpg

Story: So in my current job, I work with a program that tutors kids in reading. Let me say all my kids are fantastic, but there's one little girl I've been working with personally for the last two years. Amazing kid, super smart. But when I first met her, she had no confidence in herself. Me asking her to read would cause a visible emotional reaction, and struggling through it would often leave her deeply depressed by the end of our sessions together.

So one day, on a whim, I suggested we read a Wonder Woman comic (Sensation Comics #9, for the curious) together. I had actually brought it in for another student, but decided to use it with her to talk her down from reading "One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish." I read the comic to her and she absolutely loved it. It was the first time I had seen her so excited about reading in the - at the time - two months we had been working together.

We read a few more books about Wonder Woman because now she was super interested. We talked about Wonder Woman's backstory, her villains, her powers and weapons. Her favorite part of the lore is Themiscyra, as she adores the idea of an island with no men or boys on it.

Sadly, I'm still struggling with her confidence. One day, we're doing vocabulary practice and she asked me what the word "wonder" actually means.

"It's means something amazing. That's why they call her 'Wonder Woman.' She's amazing...kinda like you. Except you're little, so you'd be 'Wonder Girl."

And as soon as I said that, she smiled. And from then on, I called her Wonder Girl. For the two of us, it became our battlecry for her. Being 'Wonder Girl' made her feel important. Special. At the end of our lessons, I would have her repeat her own Wonder Girl creed: "Be Kind. Be Strong. Be Wonderful." I made her a little badge she could wear when we were together. And over time, as we plugged away at her reading, she approached her lessons with more vigor.

She's in fourth grade now, soon fifth. She's currently one of the highest readers in her class, after being one of the lowest last year. We lost the old badge, but she still likes to be called Wonder Girl. Most of our work together now is about polishing up the skills she has, and just enjoying these last few weeks together before summer comes. We're currently reading the incredible "Legend of Wonder Woman" together. While her confidence still wanes at times - kid's got a hell of a perfectionist streak that one can only hope will fade with age - she's grown into a leader among her classmates and an excellent student. Getting to be there and watch this change happen - even as just her reading tutor - has been one of the purest joys of my life.

Whenever Wonder Woman comes up on this here internet, there's always a lot of debate about who the character is and what she means. Is she a symbol for female empowerment or fetish material? What should she look like? How can people get into her if she doesn't have good villains or a "relatable" backstory? As a fan, I've participated in these debates and they're fun sometimes. But truly, I know what Wonder Woman means to me. She's the one superhero I could count on to help me teach a little girl how to read. And far as I'm concerned, that makes her the best damn hero to put on some satin tights.

FEB170298.jpg

PS: In case you're wondering, yes. The kid is aware that there are characters called Wonder Girl in the comics....She hates them.

PPS: I also owe a special shout out to Squirrel Girl and Ms. Marvel, whom other girls in my program fell in love with and discovered their own passion for reading through.

Satch

Banned

Story: So in my current job, I work with a program that tutors kids in reading. Let me say all my kids are fantastic, but there's one little girl I've been working with personally for the last two years. Amazing kid, super smart. But when I first met her, she had no confidence in herself. Me asking her to read would cause a visible emotional reaction, and struggling through it would often leave her deeply depressed by the end of our sessions together.

So one day, on a whim, I suggested we read a Wonder Woman comic (Sensation Comics #9, for the curious) together. I had actually brought it in for another student, but decided to use it with her to talk her down from reading "One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish." I read the comic to her and she absolutely loved it. It was the first time I had seen her so excited about reading in the - at the time - two months we had been working together.

We read a few more books about Wonder Woman because now she was super interested. We talked about Wonder Woman's backstory, her villains, her powers and weapons. Her favorite part of the lore is Themiscyra, as she adores the idea of an island with no men or boys on it.

Sadly, I'm still struggling with her confidence. One day, we're doing vocabulary practice and she asked me what the word "wonder" actually means.

"It's means something amazing. That's why they call her 'Wonder Woman.' She's amazing...kinda like you. Except you're little, so you'd be 'Wonder Girl."

And as soon as I said that, she smiled. And from then on, I called her Wonder Girl. For the two of us, it became our battlecry for her. Being 'Wonder Girl' made her feel important. Special. At the end of our lessons, I would have her repeat her own Wonder Girl creed: "Be Kind. Be Strong. Be Wonderful." I made her a little badge she could wear when we were together. And over time, as we plugged away at her reading, she approached her lessons with more vigor.

She's in fourth grade now, soon fifth. She's currently one of the highest readers in her class, after being one of the lowest last year. We lost the old badge, but she still likes to be called Wonder Girl. Most of our work together now is about polishing up the skills she has, and just enjoying these last few weeks together before summer comes. We're currently reading the incredible "Legend of Wonder Woman" together. While her confidence still wanes at times - kid's got a hell of a perfectionist streak that one can only hope will fade with age - she's grown into a leader among her classmates and an excellent student. Getting to be there and watch this change happen - even as just her reading tutor - has been one of the purest joys of my life.

Whenever Wonder Woman comes up on this here internet, there's always a lot of debate about who the character is and what she means. Is she a symbol for female empowerment or fetish material? What should she look like? How can people get into her if she doesn't have good villains or a "relatable" backstory? As a fan, I've participated in these debates and they're fun sometimes. But truly, I know what Wonder Woman means to me. She's the one superhero I could count on to help me teach a little girl how to read. And far as I'm concerned, that makes her the best damn hero to put on some satin tights.

FEB170298.jpg

PS: In case you're wondering, yes. The kid is aware that there are characters called Wonder Girl in the comics....She hates them.

PPS: I also owe a special shout out to Squirrel Girl and Ms. Marvel, whom other girls in my program fell in love with and discovered their own passion for reading through.

its at least one dude on this forum who gets it

ur my brother reigun

Pizza

images

Spider-Man for sure. Post-reboot specifically. Spider-Man has a fucking crazy complex multidimensional mythos of personal problems and his stories have spawned a ton of my favorite heroes and villains.

Spider-Man 2099 is awesome, I love agent Venom and Kaine Scarlet Spider, Superior Spider-Man is one of my favorite comic arcs ever!

Also the battle world event and all the miniseries involved were some of my favorite comics ever.

Squadron Sinister in particular are my favorite one-off team in marvel:

4627367-01.jpg

One Punch Man, Mob, the Jotaro family, and Goku are some of my fav manga superheroes also

y2dvd

All time fav is Batman. Current fav is MCU Captain America. Honorable mention goes to Cyclops
because he was right

I asked this question to a room full of 50-60yr old ladies and was shocked by the answers TBH.

Captain America
Thor
Batman

In that order. 15-20 women present and those were the only 3 heroes mentioned with Capt America winning by a landslide. No Superman, Spiderman, or Hulk!

Batman is the GOAT. No contest.

Best cartoon:
t0fKWWnl.jpg

Best comics:
wKVVhg6.jpg

Best movies:
C4bYyoul.jpg

Best games:
oFJwC0i.jpg

Best music:
2LyB5mw.gif

This. Thanks for saving me the time putting this together.

Simply put, no other superhero has the backlog of great stories behind them that Batman does.

No other character is as versatile as Batman either. Honestly, how many characters transition as well from goofy 50s SciFi space monster stories, to 60s pop art comedy, to noir crime drama as well as Batman?

ReiGun

its at least one dude on this forum who gets it

ur my brother reigun
*daps* I'm always gonna be right here, stanning Diana with you sister Satch

I asked this question to a room full of 50-60yr old ladies and was shocked by the answers TBH.

Captain America
Thor
Batman

In that order. 15-20 women present and those were the only 3 heroes mentioned with Capt America winning by a landslide. No Superman, Spiderman, or Hulk!

Chris Evans is a handsome son of a bitch.

May not be a popular opinion around here, but she'll always be my favorite hero:

2407731-433px-msmarvel_04.png

But, Stephanie Brown, regardless of the costume she wears, is a real close second. She has had some rough treatment over the years, but her time as Batgirl is one of my favorite stories I've ever read.

29krrhx.jpg

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Superman. he's the best. but now his books are so fun with his kid right alongside him.
then it's Booster gold, Green Lantern (Hal) Lobo, Silver Surfer,.

Veedot

FEB170298.jpg

This put a big ass grin on my face and "Legend of Wonder Woman" is great!

May not be a popular opinion around here, but she'll always be my favorite hero:

2407731-433px-msmarvel_04.png

But, Stephanie Brown, regardless of the costume she wears, is a real close second. She has had some rough treatment over the years, but her time as Batgirl is one of my favorite stories I've ever read.

29krrhx.jpg
Dat Marcio Takara art :D

I really enjoyed Rick Remender's run of Venom. I've always been a fan of the original symbiote, and seeing it reimagined like this was really cool.
As a huge Spider-Man fan i've never really cared for Venom he was just ok (I hate Carnage though). BUT when flash took over he made Venom cool to me. Despite all of the "Boo CoD Venom is garbage, bring back Brock" comments that everyone made when Flash Venom was announced. Its crazy how actually reading the comic can change your mind

For me, it's a 4 way tie between Batman, Spider-Man, Punisher and Deadpool. It's because of these 4 that I got into comics in the first place. I first saw Batman and Spider-Man in one of their respective TV shows, Deadpool in the Ultimate Alliance games, and Garth Ennis's Punisher Max books were the first comics I ever read as a kid. Without these 4, I probably wouldn't be reading comics today, which is why they're all my favorite.

IrishNinja

seriously, if someone can name a character with a run like my boy Daredevil had (Bendix > Brubaker/Rucka > Waid) I'm all ears

re-read Miller's classic run recently & it held up as well

also: spider-man is an excellent pick, and captain america can handle batman any day of the week

JJH

dick-grayson-014.jpg

Trained by the goddamn Batman. Arguably one of the best leaders in all of comics and always get bae.

BioFan

Mine is:
Batman, Superman, Wonderwoman (animated series)
Spiderman (2nd fav after Batman)
Iron Man (even before MCU)
Wolverine

Dalek

Doreen Green

Her solo series is just a lot of fun. No self hate or edginess to distract from good times.

That's what I love about her book too. No cynicism allowed-all positivity and believing in the best of others. She can throw down with Doctor Doom if needed, but she'd rather appeal to Kraven's ego and befriend him than beat him up.

Reading through this thread, I'm glad others are about Nightcrawler.

FEB170298.jpg

Very nice post.

Adnor

Banned
My favorite depends of the day, it's Superman or Nightwing

m0Spuyu.png

n3cpCBU.png

And I grew up reading Kyle Rayner's Green Lantern comics, so he's easily in the top 3:

zYcSsdP.jpg

Though Thor has the my favorite run of all superheroes with Walt Simonson's.

czQq2j6.jpg

Pau

This was a great post. <3

Poona

I always kind of wonder what Superhero means. If I think it is someone who has extra abilities to set them apart from regular humans, that means those like Batman aren't really that as he's just a regular human, just rich and very disciplined. He doesn't come from another world, or have special powers. Though him and Superman are standard faves for me just because of being so iconic.

My ultimate faves though are these. Kindof depends on the mood I'm in or the material as to what order of preference (they're in the order of when I became aware of them).

He-Man
She-Ra
Ninja Turtles (don't really have a fave turtle)
Captain Planet
Wonder Woman
Poison Ivy
Rocket
Groot

Derwind

In terms of ability/powers:

Vulcan (Gabriel Summers)

2697793-605px_gabriel_summers__earth_616__emperor_vulcan.png
2815963-vulcan_1.png

In terms of character personality & iconic image:

Spiderman (Peter Parker)

spider-man-hey.jpeg
spiderman-doesnt-approve_o_436778.jpg

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
im not shocked to see no mention of my number one superhero draft pick. but ill go to bat for him even if noone else does

hank "two minute warning, all kids outta the pool because im sending that bitch into space" pym

as a bipolar schizoid, hes one of the few functioning heroes with known mental issues, hes also the father of robotics at marvel as almost all ai lifeforms tie to him. mired by the mistakes of his past, hes always trying to do whats he feels is right, and is incredibly loyal to many heroes despite many of them deciding to disrespect him. and in spite of his flaws, hes always willing to help when he can believing that people deserve a second chance.

skill wise, hes definetely someone you want on your side. while its absolutely true he can accidentally make a megatron robot out of what he designed as a universal remote, his bread and butter is in the stressful times. hesa master of ingenuity when it comes to fight or flight situations. is theres a way, he'll find it. also given that hes one of the few people that reed richards feels to acknowledge and argue down, denotes his intelligence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom