• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It's never been a better time to get into mobile games (iOS)

StereoVsn

Great thread! Ticket to Earth and Warlock of Firetop Mountain in particular look good.

One thing that's still missing on iOS/Android though are great original RPGs or even recent ports (talking non F2P).

Yes, we got Baldur's Gate 1&2, Kotor, Jade Empire, Fonal Fantasy and DQ games but that's all older wares.

Shadowrun Dragonfall is there but not much else from recent games. Yes, there is "The Quest", Chaos Rings 3, Ember and a few others but all in all (with exception of Shadowrun) most of these games are not something I would look into on consoles, PC and dedicated handhelds since there is always something better.

On the other hand there are interesting RPG lite games with other tabletop or card elements like Sentinels, Planar Conquest and others.

Any build up your own city/village strategy games on mobile? Or platformers without auto run like Mario Run.

Good RPGs would be welcomed as well.

Looking for games on the App Store is impossible.

Any build up your own city/village strategy games on mobile? Or platformers without auto run like Mario Run.

Good RPGs would be welcomed as well.

Looking for games on the App Store is impossible.
How is it impossible? That image on the first page is what the App Store looks like

As for RPGs, Ticket To Earth is a really good SRPG/puzzle hybrid

awp69

Great thread! Ticket to Earth and Warlock of Firetop Mountain in particular look good.

One thing that's still missing on iOS/Android though are great original RPGs or even recent ports (talking non F2P).

Yes, we got Baldur's Gate 1&2, Kotor, Jade Empire, Fonal Fantasy and DQ games but that's all older wares.

Shadowrun Dragonfall is there but not much else from recent games. Yes, there is "The Quest", Chaos Rings 3, Ember and a few others but all in all (with exception of Shadowrun) most of these games are not something I would look into on consoles, PC and dedicated handhelds since there is always something better.

On the other hand there are interesting RPG lite games with other tabletop or card elements like Sentinels, Planar Conquest and others.

..aside from those listed right above this post...

Ember is a fantastic RPG on mobile. Some of the Kemco games are good like the Alphadia and Asdivine series for JRPGs.

Djinn Caster is a very polished ARPG (by a newer dev for Kemco that is completely different than anything else they have done).

Oh, and don't think anyone has mentioned the Chaos Rings series. Chaos Rings 3 in particular is very good and probably has 100+ hours of content. If you're unfamiliar, that's a Square Enix JRPG series. The third one is separate from the others so no need to play them prior to it.

Matt Frost

Thanks but I think I did not explain myself fully. I am not really into swiping as a mechanic either. I just like "one button" mechanic games like I shared. Mario Run is a good example of what I do like. Rayman too. Tiny Wings. Games with simpler mechanics like that are what I believe works best on mobile and what I enjoy.

Same here, i love that control method and it can do wonders for gaming. Mario Run was average on iOS since it hosts some of the very best, games like:

Boson X
Rodeo Stampede
Worm Run
Tentacles: Enter the Mind
Dragon Hills
Leap Day
Whale Trail

Lost Socks have a few 'buttons' but is above most of them in quality as well. Like Slayin' or Downwell or Bit.Trip Runner

And many many more. If you like one button games you are on the right place

Magnus

I'm scared of falling down a rabbit hole and discovering a hundred new games I love on mobile. Haha. So many games here look great but there's no time for more!

That said, I loved what I played of Sorcery (having loved the books as a kid) so it was cool to see Sorcery 3 on sale in the OP. Hurray! 85% off is ridiculous. I have 1 and 2 already and haven't even touched 2 yet.

Pachimari

Just cos its Mario? I assume there's a base of quality there no matter what.

I mean, it controls nicely and the level design is good, but overall, it's a game that has been done before and better (ie Lost Socks, Rayman, etc)
I disagree. I feel like Super Mario Run is a better auto runner than both Rayman and Lost Socks. He really can't go wrong with Mario.

Those games don't hold a candle to Super Mario Run IMO, and I've only played the first world of Mario.

Have you actually played Lost Socks? It's probably one of my favorite platformers on any platform in the last decade.
I found Lost Socks to control poorly and it was too frustrating to play. I'll give the game another chance though but boy was it annoying.

Hmmm, I may need to check this game out. That's what I was referring too I think.
This is not a one-tap game like you describe you want.

I wish there were more visual novels on the platform. Other than a few noteworthy ones like Steins;Gate and Banshee's Last Cry, there aren't a lot left. Maybe Fragment's Note.
There's also Hatoful Boyfriend.

..aside from those listed right above this post...

Ember is a fantastic RPG on mobile. Some of the Kemco games are good like the Alphadia and Asdivine series for JRPGs.

Oh, and don't think anyone has mentioned the Chaos Rings series. Chaos Rings 3 in particular is very good and probably has 100+ hours of content. If you're unfamiliar, that's a Square Enix JRPG series. The third one is separate from the others so no need to play them prior to it.
Thanks be fair, he did list Chaos Rings 3 and Embers himself already.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
My iPhone gets more play than my PC / consoles. And it's just Gacha games because they're convenient to play and a natural evolution of grindy MMOs to mobile. If I ventured off into playing the other stuff in the OP pretty sure everything else I owned would get covered in dust (mostly contributed by scratching off itunes gift cards).

I feel like I still don't understand mobile gaming. I feel like for every 100$ I spend on highly acclaimed mobile games I find one gem like How to build a boat.

So many games with atrocious virtual dpads/sticks or mediocre puzzlers.

awp69

I feel like I still don't understand mobile gaming. I feel like for every 100$ I spend on highly acclaimed mobile games I find one gem like How to build a boat.

So many games with atrocious virtual dpads/sticks or mediocre puzzlers.

Read the monthly iOS OT. We'll help you know the true gems. ;)

And there are many.

How is it impossible? That image on the first page is what the App Store looks like

As for RPGs, Ticket To Earth is a really good SRPG/puzzle hybrid

That's what it looks like right now. I don't need to tell you it normally has nowhere near as many games, and definitely not as many "premium" games.

That's what it looks like right now. I don't need to tell you it normally has nowhere near as many games, and definitely not as many "premium" games.
It does.
MK6MN2U.jpg
DzZD8Y6.jpg

GX7asyF.jpg
hsYbbwU.jpg

khqkJGQ.jpg
dt1R6qu.jpg

DirtyLarry

Same here, i love that control method and it can do wonders for gaming. Mario Run was average on iOS since it hosts some of the very best, games like:

Boson X
Rodeo Stampede
Worm Run
Tentacles: Enter the Mind
Dragon Hills
Leap Day
Whale Trail

Lost Socks have a few 'buttons' but is above most of them in quality as well. Like Slayin' or Downwell or Bit.Trip Runner

And many many more. If you like one button games you are on the right place
Thank you!! I am going to check some of these out right now. I just picked up Bean Dreams last night as it was a $1 and I am pretty sure based on the reviews it is a "1-Button" mechanic. I just feel for the device and especially for the limited time I play mobile games, it is what works best for my tastes. There is also something super satisfying about a game starting off with simple mechanic is then morphing into something else. I appreciate the development and thought that needs to go into it.

EDIT - I should also add that I LOVE Whale Trail. Perfect example of what I prefer. Brilliant game.

Widge

Rule of thumb with iOS - check store update on Friday -> if the game has a cost on it - check it out - if it doesn't - give it a pass.

grmlin

Got Oxenfree and Ticket to Earth.

But what the heck is up with Oxenfree's save system? Is it really only saving every now and then? Thats pretty bad on a phone, where apps (especially games) get kicked out of the memory fairly fast.

Rule of thumb with iOS - check store update on Friday -> if the game has a cost on it - check it out - if it doesn't - give it a pass.
Good rule of thumb, but you miss out on the premium games that are free to download as a demo, with a single purchase to unlock the full game

M3d10n

Meanwhile, as a developer, I'm trying to get the fuck away from it.

Good rule of thumb, but you miss out on the premium games that are free to download as a demo, with a single purchase to unlock the full game
I blame that on Apple and Google for not implementing proper paid app trials after nearly a decade.

Free with unlock IAP is the worst performing monetization method, by far: people interested in free games won't pay to unlock your game and will drop it as soon as they hit the paywall, while people looking for paid games won't even click your game thinking it's F2P (if they even notice it amidst the thousands of F2P games released every month). Your target audience is the very, very small userbase overlap between the two demographics.

Are there any good original JRPG's available yet (non gatcha)?

Last time I checked a year ago, all you could get were the chaos rings games and the IAP ridden kemco garbage.

Matt Frost

Also, the App store really needs to add a wishlist or something to mark apps/games that you are interested in.

It already has a wishlist (only paid apps)

Top right corner below the battery these is an icon that if you tap it gives you many options, one of them being 'add yo wishlist'

Thank you!! I am going to check some of these out right now. I just picked up Bean Dreams last night as it was a $1 and I am pretty sure based on the reviews it is a "1-Button" mechanic. I just feel for the device and especially for the limited time I play mobile games, it is what works best for my tastes. There is also something super satisfying about a game starting off with simple mechanic is then morphing into something else. I appreciate the development and thought that needs to go into it.

EDIT - I should also add that I LOVE Whale Trail. Perfect example of what I prefer. Brilliant game.

Glad to hear that. Whale Trail is fantastic. If you like it but want things more hectic try Worm Run, great adrenaline rush. If you want chaotic destruction, cant go wrong with Dragon Hills. Tentacles is a 3D endless game as well, very unique. Rodeo Stampede is also fresh and unique and very addictive with the zoo part. The last two are f2p but no timers or stuff like that. Very fair, like Whale Trail. Oh, and a tip: upgrade first the score multiplier since it will give you more coins overall.

JJH

Any of these games available for Apple TV? Been curious about the game selection for it since the iOS store has been booming with indies.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Are there any good original JRPG's available yet (non gatcha)?

Last time I checked a year ago, all you could get were the chaos rings games and the IAP ridden kemco garbage.

Not really 'original' but it's the first time it came to the US - the remake of Romancing SaGa 2. A premium priced mobile experience with classy updated 2D sprite visuals. The exact kind of game I want to see more of on mobile.

Flunkie

Banned
I bought all these but actually I'm just going to get back into Pocket Planes and Pocket Trains because Bit City made me realize Nimblebit used to actually release quality games and not clickers.

Top Bottom