• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It's No Longer Xbox, but Microsoft Gaming Report Says

mansoor1980

Gold Member

MV5BN2QwZThlYjktNjJjNi00OTJjLTg3NGUtMDQxMGQzZGY0MmVkXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTk3OTMzOA@@._V1_.jpg

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
"Report"? Didn't we noticed this a while back now?

DavJay

Leadership at Xbox is dead. I’m no expert but it doesn’t seem that hard. Bring every old 360 call of duty on Xbox and rack in more subscribers. Don’t make CoD available on game pass day one. Give an option for GPU members to buy new CoD at a discount say $40 instead of giving it away and make no profit. MS was clearing lying when they said Game Pass is sustainable.

It makes a lot more sense with their publishing, "platformless" strategy. The only reason Xbox makes sense as a brand is if they're selling first party hardware. The brand name has been completely tarnished the last decade, so there isn't much to lose there. Microsoft gaming means third parties can sell their own branded devices and Microsoft can continue pushing their subscription and cloud service. It also allows them to keep around Xbox as a small part of their overall strategy, probably the "premium" segment, but with far less focus. If Xbox does well, great. If it continues to fail, they can slowly shut it down and erase all traces of Xbox from the company's DNA without people losing their minds by closing up shop in a hurry.

SHA

Smart decision, segmentation will cause confusion let alone the conflict on the internet, that's not stupid at all, trolls will stfu cause most of us are on the pc side.

Last edited:

ToadMan

We need another option for home consoles, time for Samsung to step in and provide competition or else Sony will have the home console market for themselves (I don't count Nintendo, they're doing their own thing).

Well OK, and Nintendo have their "own-thing" market to themselves... has that been terrible for consumers? Seems like everyone is pretty happy with Nintendo's way - healthy sales, great products as far as anyone can see.

So, based on the idea Nintendo are in their own space, I think the "high performance" console market is too small for 2 platforms in the face of increasing costs. So bye bye xbox, and just Sony in the market is no different to Nintendo doing their own-thing market.

GHG

Gold Member
Begs the question, is Phil the kind of guy who likes to snuggle after sex or does he go right for the shower?

If the way he's treated Tango is anything to go by - smooth talker prior, transactional after.

Oppoi

If the way he's treated Tango is anything to go by - smooth talker prior, transactional after.
Why that sounds like borderline rape if you ask me. Edit, that was a bit too much... I didn't mean that... I meant full on studio murder. Embrace extend extinguish. That sort of nonsense.

Last edited:

Humdinger

I was wondering what they would do with the "Xbox" brand. Maybe they'll reserve it just for the hardware.. (haven't watched the vid yet, will later).

We need another option for home consoles, time for Samsung to step in and provide competition or else Sony will have the home console market for themselves (I don't count Nintendo, they're doing their own thing).

I've been having the same thought about Samsung lately but everybody has laughed at the idea.

I mean, besides Apple, which company has the brand name AND funds to try venturing into gaming ?
Korea (besides the MMO shite) has been an upcoming "force" lately in the gaming space, I don't find it weird that a Korean brand (Samsung) would rise up to the task and get all the upcoming dev companies under their umbrella.

Now, I'm no fan of Samsung but...they do have the brand name, I mean, just the name "Galaxy gaming nexus" or some shite would be enough to attract some potential customers, just a thought eh ? 😉

Last edited:

ABnormal

Well OK, and Nintendo have their "own-thing" market to themselves... has that been terrible for consumers? Seems like everyone is pretty happy with Nintendo's way - healthy sales, great products as far as anyone can see.

So, based on the idea Nintendo are in their own space, I think the "high performance" console market is too small for 2 platforms in the face of increasing costs. So bye bye xbox, and just Sony in the market is no different to Nintendo doing their own-thing market.
There are a few possible concerns regarding a possible high-end console market monopolized by Sony:

- Lacking competition, Sony would not have any direct competitor in pricing (aside the general pc market as indicator), so they would maximize the prices as much as possible.
- Lacking a competitor in the field of technology (both hardware and software), we could espect they to push less on that side. This is the less concerning to me, because they would anyway try to push anyway to prevent loss of gamers towards the pc platform (PS5 Pro, after all, exist to keep as much as tech demanding gamers to flee to pc in the wait for the new gen, so it's one of their goals and we can espect at least a significant effort to push on tech).
- Lower push for online services and infrastructure.

On the pros side, the only thing that comes to my mind now is that there would be an increase on the PS installed base, to accomodate those gamers who still want to play on a high-end console even if it's not an XBox. That's always a good thing on the games and hardware development budget side.

End of an era... for the most part it was a fun ride! Special shout out to the original Xbox and in particular the 360. You know, 'Microsoft Gaming' is a fitting name; just as bland and mediocre as the past few generations of 1st party games... reflective of the current state of the brand.

Matthew Mcconaughey Chest Thump GIF by Paramount Movies

Top Bottom