• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ITT, We all have to agree on a game better than Super Mario 64

UPDATE: Here is a list of games that people think are better than Super Mario 64

*** An X in front of the title means that its nomination has been disputed at least once.

Nominations that are not disputed are accepted, by the community as a whole, to be better than Super Mario 64.

CLARIFICATIONS / NEW RULES:
  • 1) You may not nominate, or discount a game, unless you've genuinely played it.
  • 2) You may not discount/dispute a game being better than Super Mario 64 if you believe Super Mario 64 is the best game ever (but you should admit this and show us your opinion if you do believe Super Mario 64 to be better than all games). Also, you should not make a dispute, unless you make, or support, a nomination.
  • 3) We should reasonably be able to agree on a single game being better than Mario 64, 20 years later. Try not to just be a naysayer without adding to the discussion. Imagine that this needs to be done in order to prevent a worldwide disaster. If we can not come to a consensus, the Earth will be destroyed, Donald Trump actually will enter office, or insert your own disaster to make us more reasonable when working toward and agreement, if possible.

X Advance Wars
X Banjo Kazooie
X Bayonetta
Bayonetta 2
Bloodborne
Bubble Bobble
X Catherine
Chrono Trigger
Civilization IV
X Conker's Bad Fur Day
X Crash Bandicoot
X Crash Bandicoot 2
X Crash Bandicoot 3
X Crypt of the Necrodancer
X Dark Souls
Deus Ex
Devil May Cry
X Devil May Cry 3
DOOM
X Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
Donkey Kong: Jungle Beat
Dune 2
Dynasty Warriors 8
X Enter the Gungeon
X FTL
Gex Enter the Gecko
X God of War
X God of War 2
Grand Theft Auto San Andreas
X Guild Wars 2
X Halo: Combat Evolved
X Jak and Daxter
Jet Set Radio
X Jet Set Radio Future
X Klonoa
X Knack
La Mulana
The Last of Us
X The Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time
The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker
X Little Big Planet
X Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance
Metal Gear Solid
X Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence
Metroid Prime
Monkey Island 2
Ninja Spirit
Okami
X Paper Mario: TTYD
X Persona 4 Golden
Portal
Portal 2
Quake
Quake 3 Arena
Rayman 2
Red Dead Redemption
X Resident Evil 4
Robotron 2084
Rocket League
Shadow of the Colossus
Shatterhand
X Smash Bros 4 Wii U
Spelunky
X Spyro
X Spyro 3
X Sonic the Hedgehog
Sonic 2
X Sonic Adventure
X Starbound
X Star Fox 64
X Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic
X Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic 2
X Streets of Rage 2
X Super Mario 3D World
Super Mario Bros.
Super Mario Bros. 2
Super Mario Bros. 3
X Super Mario Galaxy
X Super Mario Galaxy 2
X Super Mario Sunshine
X Super Mario Land
X Super Mario Land 2
X Super Mario Land 3: Wario Land
Super Mario RPG
X Super Mario World
Super Mario World: Yoshi's Island
X Super Meat Boy
Super Metroid
X Super Paper Mario
Super Smash Bros.
Super Street Fighter 2
X Tetris
Tomba
X To the Moon
X Transformers: Devastation
Turok 2
X Ultra Street Fighter IV
Uncharted 2
X Undertale
Unreal Tournament '99
X The Wonderful 101
Wonderboy 3
X World of Warcraft
XCOM
X Xenoblade Chronicles
Xenogears

Super Mario 64 is a legendary game, no doubt. It singlehandedly sold the N64 and quickly launched Nintendo ahead of the competition almost inarguably, until perhaps Final Fantasy VII shook things up again.

Now, as utterly mind blowing the revelation of analog Mario movement in three dimensions was to my generation of gamers' little brains, the castle exploration, the 120 stars, the "Hoo! Hah! Yippee!" (that's how it went, wasn't it?)... within the 20 years since its release, surely there are hoards of games that are objectively better at this point, right? Nintendo probably made them!

But, can a given game be nominated, and considered objectively better, overall, without any disagreement?

Can we do it?

Will this contest be over swiftly or will we bicker ad infinitum with new nominations?

Also, the nomination must be stated as follows:

[X] is a better game than Super Mario 64.

When making the nomination, you should really feel in your bones, that said game is better than Super Mario 64.

If there are any disagreements, quote the nomination, disagree and make your case.

Perhaps it could be in the following format:

[X] is a better game than Super Mario 64.

[X] is NOT a better game than Super Mario 64, because ...

If your nomination was raised with an objection, you may quote the objection, and elaborate WHY [X] is better than Super Mario 64. If your elaboration is then rejected, the nomination is dismissed for collective agreement... Although perhaps later in the thread, relatively successful nominations could be discussed further for other victories, such as 'Can 75 percent of us agree that [X] is better than Super Mario 64'. But for now, make your objectively better nominations!

I'll throw one out to get started.

• Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence is a better game than Super Mario 64.

Come at me!

bones123

There are a lot of games better than Super Mario 64.

Like Paper Mario: TTYD.

PAPER MARIO: THE THOUSAND YEAR DOOR IS A BETTER GAME THEN SUPER MARIO 64.

Banjo-Kazooie is a better game than Super Mario 64.

/ It's a game that wouldn't have been possible without SM64, but never the less it is superior in the departments of level design, humor, atmosphere and wonder and thus exceeds it.

Ganondorfo

Metroid Prime is a better game than Super Mario 64, because it did to the Metroid franchise what 64 did for the Mario series.

The thread eventually turns into "I will name my favorite videogame of all time".

mp1990

Banned
What a weird idea for a thread.

But it gives me the chance of saying this: The PS1 Crash games are NOT better than Mario 64.

Stopdoor

I'll throw one out to get started.

• Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence is a better game than Super Mario 64.

Come at me!

Sorry to break your format, but this just feels like a mess of a comparison. I'm not even sure how I'd pit them against each other.

"Metal Gear Solid 3's rich story and characters clearly are superior to Mario 64's efforts with Toad and Princess Peach"?

"Metal Gear Solid 3 can't compare to Mario 64's acrobatic action - Metal Gear just doesn't have the control Mario does"?

"If only Mario 64 had stealth camo"

"Metal Gear Solid 3 would benefit if the boss fights were a bit more like fighting Bowser, I think"

"But Super Mario 64, does it have CQC? Case closed."

What's even the point?

Tizoc

Everytime I try to start and play Super Mario 64, I get bored and lose interest after the first stage. People had been hyping it up in the forums I'd posted in over the years but I just don't see it @_@
Non the less I will one day play it to completion to give it proper judgement.

...but yeah SM Galaxy>SM64 is something I can stand behind, I loved SM Galaxy.

rjc571

Banned
Mario 64 is a pretty mediocre game with a shit camera, awkward controls and boring, empty level designs. Almost all Nintendo published games since the SNES era are better than Mario 64.

Shiggy

Sonic the Hedgehog is a better game than Super Mario 64.

But only if "better" is defined as "infinitely worse".

Tizoc

What a weird idea for a thread.

But it gives me the chance of saying this: The PS1 Crash games are NOT better than Mario 64.

The PSOne Crash games followed a simple concept in their stage structure and design, just as various other platformers had their own unique playstyle during the 16 bit era. I personally enjoy the Crash PSOne games more, but can't say if they really are better or not.

Pudge

Nope.
Many other nintendo games shit on it from a great height

You have to think about it for a minute. Your argument is basically "Transformers: Dark of the Moon" is better than "Jurassic Park" because the CG looks better and CG is why people like "Jurassic Park". That's wrong, because without "Jurassic Park", good CG in movies doesn't become a thing until later. It's a seminal work. Super Mario 64 is in the same ballpark.

The fact that Nintendo nailed 3D movement with Mario on the first try and delivered a game that is still playable today is incredible. That's why Super Mario 64 is in this type of discussion. There are better 3D platformers out there now, but that game should be respected for the time it came out and how innovative it was. Go play other 3D games in the years before Mario 64 came out, it's a nightmare.

This is what I based my nomination on. Halo: Combat Evolved is better than Mario 64 because it also created a genre (Console FPS), and that genre has been more widespread than 3D platformers.

Koobion

First page and the fights about whether or not Super Mario 64 is even that great have already broken out.

I still like this thread idea. For me, it's very hard to conclusively choose a game that's much better than SM64.

NaviLink

OP:

giphy.gif

There are no better games than Super Mario 64.

Exactly.

Lothar

Banned
Can we start with every Mario game?

Both Mario Galaxies, Sunshine, Super Mario Bros 1-3, Super Mario World 1-2, Super Mario Lands for Game Boy

Mario 64 is a pretty mediocre game with a shit camera, awkward controls and boring, empty level designs. Almost all Nintendo published games since the SNES era are better than Mario 64.

That about sums it up. Camera and controls are god awful. So any game with good camera and good controls should be considered better.

Top Bottom