• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ITT, We all have to agree on a game better than Super Mario 64

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
The fact that Nintendo nailed 3D movement with Mario on the first try and delivered a game that is still playable today is incredible. That's why Super Mario 64 is in this type of discussion. There are better 3D platformers out there now, but that game should be respected for the time it came out and how innovative it was. Go play other 3D games in the years before Mario 64 came out, it's a nightmare..

What third person character game's were you playing in the years before Mario 64?

Tizoc

You have to think about it for a minute. Your argument is basically "Transformers: Dark of the Moon" is better than "Jurassic Park" because the CG looks better and CG is why people like "Jurassic Park". That's wrong, because without "Jurassic Park", good CG in movies doesn't become a thing until later. It's a seminal work. Super Mario 64 is in the same ballpark.

The fact that Nintendo nailed 3D movement with Mario on the first try and delivered a game that is still playable today is incredible. That's why Super Mario 64 is in this type of discussion. There are better 3D platformers out there now, but that game should be respected for the time it came out and how innovative it was. Go play other 3D games in the years before Mario 64 came out, it's a nightmare.

This is what I based my nomination on. Halo: Combat Evolved is better than Mario 64 because it also created a genre (Console FPS), and that genre has been more widespread than 3D platformers.
I've never been fully on board this whole 'Mario 64 inspired 3D platformers and movement' thing, or whoever the term is properly. Mario's movement in 64 never blew my mind nor seemed all that revolutionary IMO.

Pilgrimzero

Quiet children, the adults are talking.

Willing to bet I'm older.

I was tired of Nintendo when the N64 came out originally. Skipped it to play on CD based formats.

PS1 is where it was at back then.

I think the only N64 game I spent anytime with via a friend was Goldeneye. Dang fun split screen multi.

kswiston

First post nails that shit. SMG is better than SM64.

SM64 was pretty much the first fully 3D platformer out there, and while its camera was better than a lot of its contemporaries, it was pretty janky by modern standards. Controls and boss encounters have also been improved in later 3D Marios.

I still miss SM64's sense of exploration though. I wish we got another game in that vein. 6-8 sandbox worlds coming off a world hub, with objectives that weren't spelt out or decided for you based on the course you were picking.

Pudge

What third person character game's were you playing in the years before Mario 64?

I don't mean third person, I mean 3D movement. Jumping Flash is one game that comes to mind. There weren't many obviously, but of the games that did exist, they are all basically unplayable today outside of historical novelty.

I've never been fully on board this whole 'Mario 64 inspired 3D platformers and movement' thing, or whoever the term is properly. Mario's movement in 64 never blew my mind nor seemed all that revolutionary IMO.

Then you weren't playing video games in 1996. Full stop. Mario 64 was miles ahead.

Oh good god no

I'd be happy to defend my choice :D

You have to think about it for a minute. Your argument is basically "Transformers: Dark of the Moon" is better than "Jurassic Park" because the CG looks better and CG is why people like "Jurassic Park". That's wrong, because without "Jurassic Park", good CG in movies doesn't become a thing until later. It's a seminal work. Super Mario 64 is in the same ballpark.

The fact that Nintendo nailed 3D movement with Mario on the first try and delivered a game that is still playable today is incredible. That's why Super Mario 64 is in this type of discussion. There are better 3D platformers out there now, but that game should be respected for the time it came out and how innovative it was. Go play other 3D games in the years before Mario 64 came out, it's a nightmare.

This is what I based my nomination on. Halo: Combat Evolved is better than Mario 64 because it also created a genre (Console FPS), and that genre has been more widespread than 3D platformers.

Halo's an odd example in the fact that for the most part the big console FPS games of that gen were solely Halo Combat Evolved and Halo 2.
Everything else was either better on PC, or more good but kinda niche titles like Black, Killzone, Cold Winter etc.

Anyways, we all know that Timesplitters kicked off the now traditional console FPS style. A spiritual successor to what were probably the 2 most popular console FPS games (Goldeneye and Perfect Dark), and one that actually had a control scheme that is still used to this day, thanks to the Dualshock 2 being a more ergonomic controller than the N64's for the genre.

Halo Combat Evolved was certainly THE online console FPS though.

Dear god, it's beautiful.

I'm going to check the thread later in the day and put all the games nobody disagreed with into the OP

Veitsev

Then you weren't playing 3D games pre-Mario 64. Movement was trash before Mario 64 and 3D combat was janky as fuck before Ocarina of Time.

Pudge

Anyways, we all know that Timesplitters kicked off the now traditional console FPS style. A spiritual successor to what were probably the 2 most popular console FPS games (Goldeneye and Perfect Dark), and one that actually had a control scheme that is still used to this day, thanks to the Dualshock 2 being a more ergonomic controller than the N64's for the genre.

I am totally on board with Timesplitters being in the conversation too, that game rocks.

Jumping Flash was first person.

Edited my post to clarify, sorry about the confusion!

ramparter

Banned
Super Mario Galaxy is a better game than Super Mario 64.
This is our best chance.
But seriously the only way is to make a database and everyone puts the games they consider better than sm64. Then we select those that belong to all players.
They will be 0.

Anyway Ill give it a try. Banjo Kazooie is better than Super Mario 64.

Pizza

I binge played all of the God of wars before ascension came out (in chronological order) and I know ONE of them I think I legit liked better than Mario 64, I think it was 2 where you fought hades? Or 3?

Idk, the god of war series as an experience is better than Mario 64, but that's unfair

OH Super Mario 64 Multiplayer (with a friend obviously) is a better game than normal m64

And I just hopped on the GTA online train after a long hiatus Black Friday week, and I feel like that may be a better game than Mario 64

If we're talking purely gameplay mechanics I like twisted metal (PS3) better than Mario 64

CrazyHorse

Halo's an odd example in the fact that for the most part the big console FPS games of that gen were solely Halo Combat Evolved and Halo 2.
Everything else was either better on PC, or more good but kinda niche titles like Black, Killzone, Cold Winter etc.

Modern FPSs don't have the objective based stealth style of the games that you mentioned.

Kodaman

The thing with Super Mario 64 it's that only if you subtract context it's possible to make an argument that there are better games.

And FFVII, yeah it did some things. But it's not at the same level. Nice try.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
To me, SM64 isn't even the best N64 Mario game (that award goes to Paper Mario), so I can think of a hundred games I consider better, many of which are part of the same franchise.

As an example, Super Paper Mario is better than SM64 (and every other Mario game too, it's my favorite Nintendo game).

nkarafo

Metroid Prime is a better game than Mario 64.

It did a similar job (successfully transfered a 2D iP to 3D) but it did so without being completely different than it's predecessors, like how Mario 64 is compared to it's 2D games. But it was still different enough to fully embrace the 3D technology (first person perspective and the visors). Which makes it also better than Zelda Ocarina of Time that was way too similar with the 2D games.

I disagree that Mario Galaxy is a better game though because of the dumbed down controls and lack of freedom of movement (Mario 3D World is even worse).

Lothar

Banned
The Sonic 06 of 3D Marios? Better than 64?

*Krabappel HA!*

Easy just for the fact there's nothing in shitty in Sunshine as falling off and dying due to a bad camera angle. If something like that did happen in Sunshine, you could just shoot yourself back upwards.

That's an interesting pick. I'd love to hear more.

Rocket League has a timeless quality to it. Its super simple to pick up and play but can be as deep and complex as you're willing to allow it. It is a game that puts gameplay above everything else.
To me its a modern day Tetris and will be fondly remembered as one of the best games ever made.

atpbx

Resident Evil 4, Red Dead Redemption, The last of Us....

What am I saying, there are hundreds of games better than Mario 64.

V

Vader1

Unconfirmed Member
I have dozens of games I think are better than Super Mario 64, but since I've seen a couple 3D Worlds I'll add another nomination for that (3D World is better than SM 64).

There are a bajillion games better than Mario 64. Bloodborne is one of them.

Very good...

Theres alot of shit better than SM64.
SM64 isnt that awesome IMO
Good?
Yep
Amazing?
I dont believe so

... Better ....

Resident Evil 4 is a better game than Super Mario 64.

Ding ding ding! We have a winner!

Quiet children, the adults are talking.

For the fun of it, I'll accept the "children" label. But then this is a "South Park" type of situation, where the children know best and handle everything, while the adults are running around being careless and clueless about pretty much everything :p

Top Bottom