• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Iwata to become Nintendo of America CEO, NoA CEO promoted to NCL Managing Director

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diablos54

I think the problem with the 3DS's perception concerning if it's a success or failure is Nintendo's insane predictions. Yes, it is disappointing that it's not meeting them, even after they were lowered, but by any other measure (Say, hardware sales) it's doing very well. It's killing it in Japan, and chugging along in the West, and should hopefully get a nice shot in the arm from the huge amount of Nintendo software it's getting this year (And Pokebomb). It's anything but a failure or in any sort of trouble. Now if after all these titles it's still going down YoY, then there is a big problem, but I don't see that happening.

That's true, I do kind of wonder if Nintendo would have had added more RAM, even if all the other specs were about the same same, if they had known that both of the other consoles were going to have 8GB. Even if Nintendo managed to open up another half a GB to devs it would still be their biggest weak point.

The easiest thing to do would have been to add 4 more chips to the underside of the motherboard. That would double the capacity and give the bonus affect of allowing for a 128-bit bus to be utilized. Alas...But I honestly think it's a well balanced system. What was the saying? It "punches above its weight?" I'll go with that.

Meelow

Banned
Wii is the best-selling console and holds the top share among the video game consoles for now, but both in Japan and overseas for about these two years, the Wii has been sometimes excluded from what is called multiplatform software and some games have been released only for the PS3 and the Xbox 360. When the Wii U has entered a mature phase four or five years later, will it be able to compete with a next-generation console by Microsoft or personal computers? I am concerned about a future situation in which a game is available for consoles other than the Wii U due to a lack of power. Please let me know what efforts you have made to avoid it.

Is "sometimes" another word for always?

Anyway, If Iwata really cares for the Wii U and getting third party support than he will try to make sure third party's will always have plans for Wii U like PS4/720, no company can ever say their system will have every third party game that will get made but them saying it will get all multiplats is a thing Sony and/or Microsoft can do, Nintendo can't always say "yep, our system will get GTA6, Elder Scrolls 6, Fallout 4, Mirror's Edge 2, etc" like Sony and Microsoft can, and Nintendo needs to work up to that level.

All this talk of Soul Calibur makes me think they should do a Zelda X Soul Calibur. It'd be huge.

658788-front.jpg

?

Tookay

I think the problem with the 3DS's perception concerning if it's a success or failure is Nintendo's insane predictions. Yes, it is disappointing that it's not meeting them, even after they were lowered, but by any other measure (Say, hardware sales) it's doing very well. It's killing it in Japan, and chugging along in the West, and should hopefully get a nice shot in the arm from the huge amount of Nintendo software it's getting this year (And Pokebomb). It's anything but a failure or in any sort of trouble. Now if after all these titles it's still going down YoY, then there is a big problem, but I don't see that happening.

Not that I'm discounting your point (though I'd temper it a bit), but attach rate is still pretty pathetic. There's a lot of missed potential right there.

royalan

Back during the 72nd annual Nintendo Shareholders meeting, someone asked Iwata about the concern of Wii U repeating Wii's lack of significant third party multiplatform support:

Q:

A:

http://www.nintendo.c.jp/ir/en/stock/meeting/120628qa/03.html

It's fucking astounding that people try to downplay this.

It is the absolute core of why so many people take issue with Iwata these days. It highlights his incompetence.

The smoking gun.

The productions for the iPhone game is likely radically different from what a console port could have been.

Unless people are willing to pay for low budget sprites at $50.

All those other games are too technically advance to simply blame it on the market.

Super Street Fighter IV is on the 3DS. It's more or less a console port.

Meelow

Banned
Didn't he say PS4/720 games look the same as current gen? He's already dead wrong there.

He said the difference with PS4/720 with Wii U won't be that big, which is true.

The difference isn't nearly as big as PS3/360 to Wii, there will still be a difference though of course.

RM8

The productions for the iPhone game is likely radically different from what a console port could have been.

Unless people are willing to pay for low budget sprites at $50.

All those other games are too technically advance to simply blame it on the market.
Really? Because PSP got Tekken 6, and it wasn't a crappy phone game but actually a good version of Tekken 6. 3DS got a gameplay-perfect SSFIV. PSP also got a proper SoulCalibur.

I think Classic Controller not being included with every Wii played a role too.

JordanN

Banned
Really? Because PSP got Tekken 6, and it wasn't a crappy phone game but actually a good version of Tekken 6. 3DS got a gameplay-perfect SSFIV. PSP also got a proper SoulCalibur.

I already got into a long argument about handhelds vs home console. Basically, weak home console takes a back seat.

Tookay

Is this good for N. America?

We have no idea.

We don't know what the previous guy was doing (most didn't even know he existed) and we're not sure if this means increased communication between NOA and NCL or this just more of the same or Iwata clamping down with more oversight.

I don't know what to think of this.

+ Iwata taking more NoA interests in mind with the direct connection with Reggie, and no middle man between them.

- Reggie may have been gunning for that position. Think Kevin Spacy in Horrible Bosses. Possibility of Reggie being sour and resigning because of this.

Tookay

well i remember the wii getting way better support than the gamecube. the wii u doesn't even have much support from nintendo.

I don't remember that at all.

There were more multiplatform games on the GCN than the Wii.

Unless you're talking solely about first-party support.

- Reggie may have been gunning for that position. Think Kevin Spacy in Horrible Bosses. Possibility of Reggie being sour and resigning because of this.

I don't think real life works like a comedy film.

I don't remember that at all.

There were more multiplatform games on the GCN than the Wii.

Unless you're talking solely about first-party support.

Conversely, I'm fairly sure the Wii got far more third party exclusives than the Cube.

Hiltz

Iwata is as naive as ever. Nothing has changed since he expressed his thoughts about Wii back in GDC 2005 during his keynote speech. He makes some good points about the issues of increasingly high development costs, but ultimately, third parties 9especially from the west) have continued to be alienated by Nintendo's way of doing business.

JordanN

Banned
My only point is that Wii could have handled SF, Tekken, SC and KOF and it didn't happen anyway.
So could the N64 if every game got built from the ground up. But the dilemma for this is huge (extra resources, late port, ugly graphics).

I didn't insinuate it does. I'm just matching situations. If Reggie wanted that position, and the guy a few notches above him assumes that position in an expansion of his role, Reggie could be left frustrated.

Is that confusing.... ?!

Tookay

Conversely, I'm fairly sure the Wii got far more third party exclusives than the Cube.

I think that may be true, but I don't think it was enough to say it was "better supported" than the GCN overall.

And even if that was the barometer for saying that third-parties supported the Wii more than the GCN, I don't think pure quantity argument really conveys the situation, when a lot of those exclusives were filled with B-team test games (RE rail shooters for example) or half-assed attempts at spin-offs (the Soul Calibur game, the Castlevania fighting game).

I didn't insinuate it does. I'm just matching situations. If Reggie wanted that position, and the guy a few notches above him assumes that position in an expansion of his role, Reggie could be left frustrated.

I'm assuming Reggie's a lot more professional than that and probably realizes he's as high up as he's ever going to be, considering his skill set and the Japanese management.

Back during the 72nd annual Nintendo Shareholders meeting, someone asked Iwata about the concern of Wii U repeating Wii's lack of significant third party multiplatform support:

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/stock/meeting/120628qa/03.html

Translation: Well, we're not as underpowered this time. But we still had to spend tons of cash on this GamePad that we don't even have a compelling game idea for, so don't expect us to compete on that level.

Hermii

It is the absolute core of why so many people take issue with Iwata these days. It highlights his incompetence.

The smoking gun.

All he is saying is that the differences wont be as large as Wii, which they arent. The featureset isnt that different.

Programmable shaders, dx11 level featureset, shader model 4, similiar architecture to the rumored next xbox specs, all around modern features.

When it comes to raw computing power there is still a huge difference, but even there its smaller than 360 to wii.

JordanN

Banned
All he is saying is that the differences wont be as large as Wii, which they arent. The featureset isnt that different.

Programmable shaders, dx11 level featureset, shader model 4, similiar architecture to the rumored next xbox specs, all around modern features.

When it comes to raw computing power there is still a huge difference, but even there its smaller than 360 to wii.
Was this ever confirmed? All the previous leaks made it clear it was DX 10.1 level only.

RM8

So could the N64 if every game got built from the ground up. But the dilemma for this is huge (extra resources, late port, ugly graphics).
Well, Street Fighter IV made it to PS3, 360, 3DS, PC and iOS if you count that. It was hardly kept only on similar systems. I really think the lack of a potential market was the defining factor in this case.

Diablos54

Not that I'm discounting your point (though I'd temper it a bit), but attach rate is still pretty pathetic. There's a lot of missed potential right there.
I agree that software sales are a problem that the 3DS has, but apart from releasing all the quality titles and then and doing deals (Like the recent Buy 3 Get 1 free NoE have going), I don't see how Nintendo can really do much about it. I also think prives are too high on both the software and hardware, but considering their current position, I can see why Nintendo would be wary in lowering them (Although software NEEDS to go down, the price is just too high in this post iOS world).

The smoking gun.

He seems to boil the hardware disparity down to HD vs SD visuals. It's not that at all.

JordanN

Banned
Well, Street Fighter IV made it to PS3, 360, 3DS, PC and iOS if you count that. It was hardly kept only on similar systems. I really think the lack of a potential market was the defining factor in this case.
Even if there was a market, the hurdles needed to get there make it a fruitless endeavor.

iOS and 3DS serve the portability factor. 360/PS3/PC are close enough to share the similar experience. What does that make Wii? A dead weight that costs extra money.

Tookay

I agree that software sales are a problem that the 3DS has, but apart from releasing all the quality titles and then and doing deals (Like the recent Buy 3 Get 1 free NoE have going), I don't see how Nintendo can really do much about it. I also think prives are too high on both the software and hardware, but considering their current position, I can see why Nintendo would be wary in lowering them (Although software NEEDS to go down, the price is just too high in this post iOS world).

Yeah, I think software prices are really killing the attach rate too.

$40 isn't sustainable, except for maybe a few high profile "prestige" titles.

Tom_Cody

Is that confusing.... ?!
I don't think Nintendo's corporate hierarchy works the way that you are describing it. Nintendo development operations overwhelming occur in Japan. NoA is more of marketing/localization entity. My understanding is that Reggie is already essentially in charge of those elements.

Ask Fourth Storm :) Nobody has studied thing more than he has:

Anyway the difference between 10.1 and 11 are not that significant:

Haha. Sadly, it is somewhat impossible to gain an idea of featureset from die photos. From devs, we've heard everything from DX10 (Unity slide) to DX10.1 with certain enhancements. I would bet on the latter.

The smoking gun.

What smoking gun?

He's absolutely right.

The next gen games we've seen just aren't that much different from current gen games. Like he said, there are some of us who are very sensitive to this 'small difference' but otherwise, they're generally the same games.

Look at Killzone for example - it's nice, but no one outside of the tech fetishist community is really going to care for it.

Azih

What smoking gun?

He's absolutely right.

The next gen games we've seen just aren't that much different from current gen games. Like he said, there are some of us who are very sensitive to this 'small difference' but otherwise, they're generally the same games.
No one outside the 'tech fetishist community' and y'know THIRD PARTY SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS.

Hiltz

I think Nintendo faces a combination of technical, creative, and sales issues that will prevent third parties and hardcore gamers from desiring multiplatform support on Wii U.

This post-mortem lionizing of the Gamecube is pretty entertaining, to say the least.
I don't get it myself.

That era of Nintendo, now called "Panic Mode" brought about some of the worst iterations in their biggest series. Mario Kart was rushed to release and slow in speed. Sunshine had one of the worst cameras in the series and no thematic differences between stage. Wind Waker was missing dungeons and padded the game with irritating fluff.

Melee, Pikmin, and Prime were the consoles premiere titles. And only one of them had great sales potential. And if you ask Ani one of them is just crap in a pretty shell.

RM8

iOS and 3DS serve the portability factor. 360/PS3/PC are close enough to share the similar experience. What does that make Wii? A dead weight that costs extra money.
In this case, it's not only making a beefier system but also one that has a similar structure to the others, right? I would have aimed for something more PC-like, then, so the "Wii" version would have been pretty much the PC version at lowest settings.

royalan

What smoking gun?

He's absolutely right.

Look at Killzone for example - it's nice, but no one outside of the tech fetishist community is really going to care for it.

Not only is there a very visible difference in quality between launch PS4 games and even the best PS3 titles to anyone not choosing to be completely delusional, but this is the same argument we have at the beginning of every damn gen.

And then within a year everyone is eating their words.

Van Owen

Banned
I don't get it myself.

That era of Nintendo, now called "Panic Mode" brought about some of the worst iterations in their biggest series. Mario Kart was rushed to release and slow in speed. Sunshine had one of the worst cameras in the series and no thematic differences between stage. Wind Waker was missing dungeons and padded the game with irritating fluff.

Melee, Pikmin, and Prime were the consoles premiere titles. And only one of them had great sales potential.

It was still better than the Wii trash they put out.

I think what this might mean, and hopefully what ends up happening, is that what NCL does, NoA does. Instead of this: NCL does something, NoA sometimes does the same thing, but it takes forever before it happens, if it even does happen at all.

What I think this means is: Global Nintendo Directs without a lot of significant region-only announcements or products. There are exceptions, obviously, things like Tomadachi and Giftpia probably don't appeal to Western audiences, and vice versa, 3D Metroid games for example don't appeal to Japanese audiences. Overall though, I expect more uniformity in product launches and announcements.

I think this also makes E3 more significant for them. If Iwata is now also CEO of NoA, he now has far more direct control over NoA-specific trade shows and expos like E3.

This can only be a good thing. Not merely because of the person (Iwata) that is assuming the role, but because NCL and NoA will now be more unified and work closer together than ever before.

It's a net benefit to fans.

jmood88

The smoking gun.

People call Microsoft and (before the ps4 lovefest) Sony arrogant but this guy has been just as, if not more, arrogant than anyone from either of those companies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom