• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jan. EGM - Scores and Rumors

Mar

Amir0x said:
Both PS3 and Wii should be ashamed about their launches.

Ashamed? Yes, I'm sure Sony, Nintendo, and all respective devs are crying into their hands tonight because a member of GAF doesn't like their consoles / games.

Zelda (Platinum) Jeremey - 10 Crispin - 10 Shane - 10 Game of the Month

While I can see it getting straight 10s from an industry stand point. Personaly I don't think it offers anything extra ordinary to warrant such high scores. In saying that though, straight 10s fit with EGMs scale anyway.

Wii Sports - 6.5 5.5 7.0

Reasonable. It's the most fun game I've played in years. But it's also lacking long term interest I'd say.

What I think is interesting is that we've followed reviews and scores for what, 20 years now. And the very idea of a game that is an absolute blast to play yet will most likely not last a few months, is not considered worthy of very high scores. I think that could possibly speak volumes of how we are conditioned to think about games in general.

Regardless, I don't disagree with the scores at all. Just an interesting look at how we all think or have been conditioned to think what is normal.

Excite Truck - 7.0 7.5 6.5

Looking forward to picking this game up when it arrives in Australia. If it controls as well as the cow racing game in WiiPlay. It's going to be one hell of a fun game.

PS3 vs Wii winner - Wii (I'm shocked. Haven't read this article yet, but they all pick Wii.)

Might buy this issue of EGM to read this article. I'm surprised considering 1up did a similar feature and decided the PS3 was the better buy.

Gears of War (Gold) - Shoe 10 Bryan 9.5 Andrew P. 9.0

I want this game.

Viva Pinata (Silver) - 9.0 8.0 8.0

And this game.

Portrait of Ruin (Silver) - 8.0 9.0 9.0

And this. Higher score than expected.

Sticky Balls - New Katamari for Wii, PS3 and Xbox Live arcade.

Hot. Insta-buy.

Mii Crossing - Mii's will be your avatar in the next Animal Crossing. All the shirts and accessories you collect will cross over to other games.

What an awesome idea. This will sell like candy in Japan.

Rare is working on a Viva Pinata Kart racing game.

Great idea.

The problem with COD is that as long as the franchise remains in WWII, it will become watered down. I still don't think COD2 was as epic as COD1, simply because the campaign objectives weren't as interesting and conclusive as the ones in COD1.

That, and personally I've just about had it with the limited arsenal of that era. Granted that it gives it an edge of FPS purity, but still.

Busty

Banned
Sticky Balls - New Katamari for Wii, PS3 and Xbox Live arcade.

Is this suggesting that their are new disc based Katamari games for the Wii and PS3 and a smaller Katamari game for XBLA in development.

Or is it suggesting that there will be a Katamari game for download across the respective 'e-distribution' services. Which, if that's the case, could suggest a more level playing field in terms of downloads sizes and scale of these download games across VC/XBLA and PS network.

Count the COMs - three new SOCOM games are in the works. One on PSP and two on PS3.

Hmmm. I think that something's going on here. It sounds like there could be two SOCOM games released next year. Perhaps one could be more arcade like in play (32 or 64 players online etc, etc), while the other would bascially be more of a network/MMO-esque game. An evolving battlefield with hundreds of players?

Seems strange that they would mention such a thing as it seems common sense for a studio like Zipper to always have someone working on the next iteration of the SOCOM franchise before the current one ships. Even simply as a matter of R&D.

Turning War Around - Microsoft is crafting a brilliant plan to flip flop Gears and Halo every year, so expect Gears of War 2 in 2008 and a new Halo game in 2009.

From next year, Mircosoft will have some iteration of the HALO IP released every year from now.... HALO 3, HALO Wars, the HALO MMO, the HALO Peter Jackson Project (pffft, yeah right) the HALO Uno deck. Etc, etc.

Justin85

I just don't get that 4.5 for Madden. The controls really work and its certainly not below average even for a launch game. Maybe they were comparing it graphically to the Xbox 360 and PS3? Or they missed online play (which is the reason I'm not buying this year's)?

Kingpen

whatdidyousay said:
Whoa and whoa. Prior to COD2 on 360 last year, I never played a WWII game either and I enjoyed it, so I guess I'll definitely be picking up COD3.

I was really, really impressed by GRAW--Rainbow 6 is better??

I couldn't get enough of COD2, so I am completely happy with COD3, even if it is more of an expansion pack with better multiplayer then a true mind blowing sequel.

Yes, Rainbow is indeed the shit..... I like it a lot better then graw.....

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
whatdidyousay said:
I know you were defending Red Steel in another thread, but honestly, I've read a lot of previews and watched several interviews with the developers, and not once was it mentioned or even alluded to that the game had an over-the-top/camp factor.

Well, in original, pre-release interviews, the developers were saying they were basically going to take all sorts of American-Japenese sterotypes and weave them into the story... essentially, you're a "real american joe" who has to go to Japan for the first time, and everything you experience is essentially what American cliches portray of Japan.

... campy dialouge, anime posters everywhere, executives in business suites wielding swords (everyone knows karate), lots of flashy lights and weird soda advertizments, funky pogodas everywhere, samurai dojos, etc.... ehh, i dunno, it was funny

TheJollyCorner said:
what a bunch of bullshit. Obviously neither of these games are 'perfect score' games, but Resistance should have been 9.0 across the board... and a 6.0 for RR7? Come on...

well they gave 6.0 for Ridge Racer 6 too. From what I played of my friend's Copy of Ridge Racer 6, i would have given the score alot higher then EGM. I was expecting low scores for Ridge Racer 7.

argon

White Man said:
I reserve the right to change my opinion at any moment, but the start of the game left a sour taste in my mouth.

The pacing is fine given the overall length and structure of the game.

Do you fast forward through Mozart's Requiem? It's pretty slow in the beginning too.

PoliceCop said:
If a 7.5 is the score you give to boring, shallow games, then yes, you're correct.

Why does the game need to be deep? Would putting some little tacked on career mode in the sports make it more enjoyable? You pick it up, you play something totally unlike anything else on any system, and you put it down. I've had my Wii nearly 2 weeks now and I still like playing the training modes trying to get medals and mutliplayer is a blast. Sure it could be expanded on, but it's simplicity is part of it's appeal.

Jenga

Banned
Amused_To_Death said:
Other than Zelda, very average scores for most of the Wii games...
From what I've read of the last EGM mag, they made it very clear that 5.0 is the AVERAGE. So considering most of the Wii games got 7s (considered to be good) I think the Wii is doing rather decent when it comes to review scores.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Kabuki Waq said:
do you compare apples to Nostalgia Coated oranges?

Which one is the apple and which one is the "Nosatlgia Coated orange?"

Mozart's pretty old, but I dunno if we could ever be nostalgic about the requiem. Zelda came out 2 weeks ago, so yeah that makes no sense either.

Jiggy37 said:
This had better not be that one time when EGM's right. It just better not. Partially because Miis are a bad fit for the Animal Crossing universe, but mostly because the very idea of only being able to get Mii accessories from Animal Crossing is stupidly devious.

I can see the rumor being true. In the original Animal crossing Nintendo forced people to use the e-card reader for some Nintendo games. It makes Perfect sense to have a Mii Animal crossing. If Nintendo hasn't thought of the idea by now, I bet they have now with the help of EGM.

Prine

Banned
Would Love to see Conker, Greg the Grim Reaper, Joanna Dark and Master Chief be selectable characters in Rare's new Kart game.

XBL multiplayer is going to ****ing amazing

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
king zell said:
from 1up board

Wii
Zelda (Platinum) Jeremey - 10 Crispin - 10 Shane - 10 Game of the Month
Downhill Jam - 7.5 8.0 7.0
Madden 07 - 6.5 6.0 4.5
Red Steel 5.0 4.5 6.0
Wii Sports - 6.5 5.5 7.0
Excite Truck - 7.0 7.5 6.5
Elebits - 7.0 4.0 4.5
Trauma Center - 6.5 7.5 7.0
Rayman RR - 7.0 7.5 7.5

PS3
Resistance (Silver) Garnett 8.5 G. Ford 8.0 Joe 9.0
Genjii - 6.0 5.0 4.5
Untold Legends - 4.0 5.0 5.0
NBA 07 - 6.5 5.0 5.0
Ridge Racer 7 - 8.0 6.5 6.0

PS3 vs Wii winner - Wii (I'm shocked. Haven't read this article yet, but they all pick Wii.)

XBOX360
Gears of War (Gold) - Shoe 10 Bryan 9.5 Andrew P. 9.0
Sonic 5.5 3.0 3.5
DOA Extreme 2 (SotM) - 4.0 4.5 4.5
Viva Pinata (Silver) - 9.0 8.0 8.0
Tony Hawk P8 (Silver) - 9.0 8.5 8.0
Call of Duty 3 - 6.5 7.0 7.0
Rainbow Six Vegas (Silver) - 8.5 7.0 8.5
Phatasy Star Universe - 8.0 7.0 6.5
Superman Returns - 3.0 6.0 5.0
Marvel UA - 7.0 8.0 7.0

Handheld
SOCOM - 6.0 6.5 8.0
Thrillville - 5.5 5.0 3.0
Sonic Rivals - 3.0 6.0 3.0
Vice City Stories (Silver) - 9.0 8.5 9.0
Portrait of Ruin (Silver) - 8.0 9.0 9.0
Kirby Squeak Squad - 7.0 7.0 6.0
FF V (Silver) - 9.0 9.0 8.5

Rumors
-Sticky Balls - New Katamari for Wii, PS3 and Xbox Live arcade.

Katamari? XBLA? AMAZING!

-Turning War Around - Microsoft is crafting a brilliant plan to flip flop Gears and Halo every year, so expect Gears of War 2 in 2008 and a new Halo game in 2009.

Nice. Apparently they're going to be doing this with 2 racing games (PGR and Forza), two shooters (Halo and Gears of War), 2JRPG's (Blue Dragon and LO; although this one in particular is personal speculation), and soon, two Rare games (BK and Kameo?; once again, this one is speculation too) :)

-Count the COMs - three new SOCOM games are in the works. One on PSP and two on PS3.

I love sequels. MS does. Sony does. Nintendo does. Everyone does! In a perfect idealistic world, everything is, well, idealistic! AND EVERYONE LIKES SEQUELS (if you don't, you know, that's pretty much the same as second degree murder...)

-Mii Crossing - Mii's will be your avatar in the next Animal Crossing. All the shirts and accessories you collect will cross over to other games.

This is nice. I like this. I think many others will too. Very nice way to implement the Mii's

-Hudsun is releasing a TG16 pack with 3D remakes of Bonk, Adventure Island, and Super Star Soldier for the PS2

Who cares?

-Rare is working on a Viva Pinata Kart racing game.

I think this rumor should be...modified. Rare is working on a Viva Pinata/Banjo Kazooie/Conker/Kameo kart racing game

-NFL may drop EA once it's contract expires in a few years.

that's nice...good for visual concepts

The parts in bold are the parts I added in.

PoliceCop

Banned
TheGreatDave said:
Why does the game need to be deep? Would putting some little tacked on career mode in the sports make it more enjoyable? You pick it up, you play something totally unlike anything else on any system, and you put it down. I've had my Wii nearly 2 weeks now and I still like playing the training modes trying to get medals and mutliplayer is a blast. Sure it could be expanded on, but it's simplicity is part of it's appeal.

All I'm saying is that the game should be rated on what it is, not what it's intent was. Cool, non gamers can pick it up and mess around with it for a little while. That's all well and good. Doesn't change the fact that the game is moreso a demo than a finished product. EGM is a magazine for the supposed "hardcore"; an intentionally shallow tech demo with notedly limited playability and ugly aesthetics aimed at casual gamers should not score super high.

As far as my individual gripes with each of the sports:
Golf-too few holes/clubs, wonky controls
Baseball-generally uninteresting with the bat swinging having a large disparity in results
Boxing-alright for what it is, but it often comes down to random arm flailing
Bowling-probably the best of the minigames, that said pin physics are way wonky which definitely detracts from the fun
Tennis-useless without player movement

[QUOTEYour jokes!

They are so funny!QUOTE]

I'm so glad you like getting charged a compulsory 30$ extra for the type of demo that used to come free with a system!

strikeselect

You like me, you really really like me!
Viva Pinata kart racer FTW, get Dave Wise on the music and Rare have another classic on their hands

PoliceCop said:
All I'm saying is that the game should be rated on what it is, not what it's intent was. Cool, non gamers can pick it up and mess around with it for a little while. That's all well and good. Doesn't change the fact that the game is moreso a demo than a finished product. EGM is a magazine for the supposed "hardcore"; an intentionally shallow tech demo with notedly limited playability and ugly aesthetics aimed at casual gamers should not score super high.

Baseball-generally uninteresting with the bat swinging having a large disparity in results
Bowling-probably the best of the minigames, that said pin physics are way wonky which definitely detracts from the fun

If you're rating a game based on what it is, why are the majority of your complaints about missing features? You can't control the characters in Wii Tennis. Would it be more fun if you could? Do you think that cord between the Nunchuk and Wiimote is sufficient that you could have it plugged in and still manage to swing comfortably?

I can't believe you'd say that the ****ing pin physics can ruin a game like Bowling; that's the most ****ing missing the point comment I've heard today.

Kevtones

PoliceCop said:
I'm so glad you like getting charged a compulsory 30$ extra for the type of demo that used to come free with a system!

I would pay $50 for Wii Sports, its a fantastic party game~

PoliceCop

Banned
TheGreatDave said:
If you're rating a game based on what it is, why are the majority of your complaints about missing features? You can't control the characters in Wii Tennis. Would it be more fun if you could? Do you think that cord between the Nunchuk and Wiimote is sufficient that you could have it plugged in and still manage to swing comfortably?

I can't believe you'd say that the ****ing pin physics can ruin a game like Bowling; that's the most ****ing missing the point comment I've heard today.

I'm rating the game based on what it is, a tech demo pretending to be a real game. I can't believe I could like the game less because of missing features, I sure am an idiot sometimes. Yes, Tennis would be more fun if you could move on your own and yes this could easily be done on the Wiimote. Do you understand that you're actually forfeiting more control than you're gaining? Is that a good thing? As for bowling...Uh, let's see. When I roll the ball directly down the lane at a fast speed all the pins on the left side should not be left standing. I'm not asking for amazing physics, but what's in there now is just stupid.

ZeoVGM

Banned
More horrid review scores from EGM.

Trauma Center, Wii Sports, Excite Truck are 8's. I get 7's, and it's understandable, but a 6.5 for Trauma Center? A ****ing 4.5 for Madden and a 5.5 for Wii Sports, while Tony Hawk gets 8's and 7.5's... and a 8 for Project 8? Please, EGM, stop trying to be unique.

On that note, a 6.0 for RR7 is annoying too. It's okay for Madden to get 9's and 8's every year, but it's different for a series like Ridge Racer.

Just stop.

Also, no way Nintendo should be "ashamed" of the Wii launch lineup. It was pretty good.

One of the best games ever (Zelda: TP) and other really fun games (Rayman, Wii Sports, Trauma Center, Monkey Ball, Excite Truck) is not a shameful launch in any means. Doens't beat DC in terms of my favorite launch ever, but it's in the top 3 I think. Haven't had this much fun with a launch lineup since DC. Zelda ALONE makes it better than PS3, PS2, or 360's launch imo.

PoliceCop said:
I'm rating the game based on what it is, a tech demo pretending to be a real game. I can't believe I could like the game less because of missing features, I sure am an idiot sometimes. Yes, Tennis would be more fun if you could move on your own and yes this could easily be done on the Wiimote. Do you understand that you're actually forfeiting more control than you're gaining? Is that a good thing? As for bowling...Uh, let's see. When I roll the ball directly down the lane at a fast speed all the pins on the left side should not be left standing. I'm not asking for amazing physics, but what's in there now is just stupid.

Tennis would not be more fun if you could move? What is more fun about being able to move a character with a D-Pad? The fun in WiiSports comes from your actions being translated on screen. If Smash Bros Brawl moved your character for you, I'd see this as valid criticism. A game moving you because it simply lets you focus on the more fun aspect of the game isn't a problem. I am happy to forfeit control in WiiTennis. The only point I agree with you on is I find golf to be difficult to play due to the controls. But the lack of holes and shit just doesn't matter.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
PoliceCop said:

This is a seriously weak argument. It is certainly a finished product, and the demo thing would be apt if it were just the games by themselves, but there are some fleshed out single player modes as well. Also how is this game ugly? Oblivion? now that's ugly, Wii sports? Far from ugly. It might be sterile, but the graphics aren't "ugly" there's no weird proportions or mspaint grass or anything. In fact Boxing is better looking than alot of the 3rd party wii games just based on effects alone.

I agree with the control part of golf, putting is a little iffy, regular swings are totally fine though imo. The lack of holes doesn't bother me.

Baseball: I dunno, if you're hitting the ball at the right time your results tend to be pretty consistant with what they should be. Just because you hit it hard doesn't mean its gonna go out of the park, or not be a grounder.

Boxing: You can flail if you want, but I can mash buttons in any other fighting game as well. If you play the practice stuff you can see you can make deliberate movements and blocks.

Bowling: I agree the pins do seem a little "light," although, I think the lack of ball weight in your hand makes bowling a bit easier than the real thing. Mind you, this doesn't mean I'm scoring 200's and shit, even though I'm putting proper spin on the ball I'm still scoring around in the range of what I usually do at the lanes.

Tennis: Still really fun even without the movement. It's not OMG AWESOME THE BEST, and I certainly agree that movement would make this more interesting, but I never felt the game was deficient due to the lack of user controlled movement.

If I were reviewing the game I would give it a 7.5 because to be honest it's much more of a multiplayer title than a single player title. The single player modes don't sustain themselves long enough for me to give it a higher score. It's just not that fun by yourself, these are sports after all.

threeball

Banned
What the **** @ that Madden 07 Wii score. I bought this last week and it shits all over the Xbox360 version to the moon and back. It is the greatest Madden of the franchise, and it has no errors or glitches or stale gameplay that would warrant those scores.

I'll take the SD Graphics with fun controls, all the features and non-glitchy gameplay over HD Graphics any day.

threeball

Banned
TheGreatDave said:
Tennis would not be more fun if you could move? What is more fun about being able to move a character with a D-Pad? The fun in WiiSports comes from your actions being translated on screen. If Smash Bros Brawl moved your character for you, I'd see this as valid criticism. A game moving you because it simply lets you focus on the more fun aspect of the game isn't a problem. I am happy to forfeit control in WiiTennis. The only point I agree with you on is I find golf to be difficult to play due to the controls. But the lack of holes and shit just doesn't matter.

Wii Sports Golf has outstanding controls. What are you talking about?

EDIT: Ok, I see people griping about putting, but putt as you would in real golf. You put keeping your elbows straight and only using your shoulders. If you use your wrists or elbows than yeah putting is going to be hard.

Kevtones

threeball said:
What the **** @ that Madden 07 Wii score. I bought this last week and it shits all over the Xbox360 version to the moon and back. It is the greatest Madden of the franchise, and it has no errors or glitches or stale gameplay that would warrant those scores.

I'll take the SD Graphics with fun controls, all the features and non-glitchy gameplay over HD Graphics any day.

Seriously, Madden Wii is one of the best sports games I've ever played~

PoliceCop

Banned
TheGreatDave said:

Do you have any idea how the game of tennis works? Do you understand that you can hit the ball from more than one position and that this will effect the ball's trajectory? Do you understand that you can have one player playing net/side and that a multitude of possibilities might POSSIBLY be more fun? Could there possibly be any merit in having your opponent thinking your going to drop it left and then slamming it to the right? As it is, Wii Sports Tennis isn't tennis. It's a rhythm game with a tennis skin.

Sp0rsk-I can respect where you're coming from, but I gotta say, I really do think Wii Sports is ugly.

MoxManiac

sp0rsk said:
This is a seriously weak argument. It is certainly a finished product, and the demo thing would be apt if it were just the games by themselves, but there are some fleshed out single player modes as well. Also how is this game ugly? Oblivion? now that's ugly, Wii sports? Far from ugly. It might be sterile, but the graphics aren't "ugly" there's no weird proportions or mspaint grass or anything. In fact Boxing is better looking than alot of the 3rd party wii games just based on effects alone.

I agree with the control part of golf, putting is a little iffy, regular swings are totally fine though imo. The lack of holes doesn't bother me.

Baseball: I dunno, if you're hitting the ball at the right time your results tend to be pretty consistant with what they should be. Just because you hit it hard doesn't mean its gonna go out of the park, or not be a grounder.

Boxing: You can flail if you want, but I can mash buttons in any other fighting game as well. If you play the practice stuff you can see you can make deliberate movements and blocks.

Bowling: I agree the pins do seem a little "light," although, I think the lack of ball weight in your hand makes bowling a bit easier than the real thing. Mind you, this doesn't mean I'm scoring 200's and shit, even though I'm putting proper spin on the ball I'm still scoring around in the range of what I usually do at the lanes.

Tennis: Still really fun even without the movement. It's not OMG AWESOME THE BEST, and I certainly agree that movement would make this more interesting, but I never felt the game was deficient due to the lack of user controlled movement.

If I were reviewing the game I would give it a 7.5 because to be honest it's much more of a multiplayer title than a single player title. The single player modes don't sustain themselves long enough for me to give it a higher score. It's just not that fun by yourself, these are sports after all.

Oblivion ugly? Comon sporks

MoxManiac

dirtmonkey37 said:
Which is why you buy a Wii......There's absolutely no reason for those games to be re-released on the PS2 for 30-40 bucks.

You are aware they are full blown new 3D remakes of said games? Not just the TG16 ports that the Wii has, right?

Anihawk said:

Do not defy me, Ani.

threeball said:
Wii Sports Golf has outstanding controls. What are you talking about?

EDIT: Ok, I see people griping about putting, but putt as you would in real golf. You put keeping your elbows straight and only using your shoulders. If you use your wrists or elbows than yeah putting is going to be hard.

I find it difficult to get the right power in any situation. I may be alone though, but I'm fine with the other games.

PoliceCop said:
Do you have any idea how the game of tennis works? Do you understand that you can hit the ball from more than one position and that this will effect the ball's trajectory? Do you understand that you can have one player playing net/side and that a multitude of possibilities might POSSIBLY be more fun? Could there possibly be any merit in having your opponent thinking your going to drop it left and then slamming it to the right? As it is, Wii Sports Tennis isn't tennis. It's a rhythm game with a tennis skin.

Sp0rsk-I can respect where you're coming from, but I gotta say, I really do think Wii Sports is ugly.

I've played a hell of a lot of Virtua Tennis in my time, I'm used to how tennis games usually control. Wii Sports doesn't need you controlling your character because it allows you to focus more on swinging the Wiimote. You seem to be missing the entire point of these games; they're not simulations. Your argument is no different from saying Time Crisis or House of the Dead can't be be because you don't have total control.

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
Scoot said:
EBA and Portable Ops (I just moved in the last week or three so I haven't set up my consoles again).

I never imagined you liking PO...all that 1up Yours talk surprised the **** out of me...The only thing I like about it is the comic book style presentation. That's it.

Gonna' go get my hands on a copy of EBA.

Speaking of Metal Gear......

http://mgsbox.ytmnd.com/

Top Bottom