• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How's your 1-10 scale work?

Some Nobody

Just so. This is kinda long, so if you cba, skip to the bolded after the first paragraph I guess. I see people complain about the 8-10 scale all the time, and while I initially agreed, the more I thought about it, the less I could validate why I did. Between both K-12 and college, I've got something like 17 years of education telling me that 90-100 is exemplary, 80-89 is good, and pretty much everything below that is garbage. So why am I still pretending that a 6/10 is something I'd actually be interested in.

That's when I sat down and started thinking about what the 1-10 scale really means to me. And this is what I came up with. Obviously this is a pretty unprofessional scale, but it's how things work in my head.

1.0 - Basically, this is a game that doesn't even fucking work. You bought it, downloaded it onto your HD or put the disc in your PC/console, and if you're lucky a start screen is all you see.

2.0 - This one's a little fuzzy, as I honestly can't really think of what differentiates a 1 from a 2. Let's just define it as, "you can get past the start screen, but not much else".

3.0 - It Works...at first. A 3.0 is a game that, the longer you play it, the more you find things wrong with it. And not like, funny glitches, but things that actively keep you from completing (or even enjoying!) the game. Basically, this is where your average Day One Ubisoft game tends to find itself.

4.0 - It works! ....And, that's about all you can say about it. Definably a "bad" game. Often has very little about it worth mention, unless it's something bad. The glitches are few and far between, and there's definitely nothing game-breaking, but there's probably enough to screw your immersion up.

5.0 - Rock solid average. Basically, there's nothing at all wrong with the game on a mechanic level. It's just, there. Nothing about it stands out. It doesn't have "bad" graphics or "good" graphics. The music is serviceable, the gameplay is nothing new or interesting in the slightest.

6.0 - Just Okay. May or may not have a stand out element. It's a game you'd play if you've played damn near everything else in the genre and just need something else to occupy your time, or one you might play because you picked it up in a Humble Bundle or in a bargain bin. Otherwise the only way you shell out for this is if a publisher's hype machine put in a LOT of work.

7.0 - Decent. Probably has one or two standout element, like good graphics or a beautiful soundtrack. What's holding it back from being "A Good Game" is that it's rough around the edges. You wouldn't recommend this to someone who's looking for "their first ____" game, but to hardcore [insert genre here] fans, it's worth playing if only to enjoy the decent parts and discuss what went wrong and what could be improved on the next installment.

8.0 - A Good Game. You bought it, you finished it, you enjoyed yourself. You felt like you got your money's worth. At the end of the day, anyone should be proud to reach this level. A game like this has multiple stand out elements that make it worth recommending to any core gamer and most fans of whatever genre it belongs in.

9.0 - Gaming excellence. All the elements of the game from graphics to story to soundtrack work both as stand out elements worthy of mention, but come together to make a fantastic experience.

10 - A shining example of video games as a medium of entertainment. The difference between a 9 and a 10 in my eyes is this: 10s should pretty much be played by everyone, even if you're not a huge fan of the genre. Not only that, 10s are essentially titles that form the blueprint for how gaming in general will work going forward.

There are obviously some exceptions to this. There are "Good Games" that have glitches, for instance, but if the most notable things you recall about a game are its glitches then there's probably an issue. And of course, games can "lose" points as well, but I'd think this is where subjective opinion comes in.

My scale is by no means anyone's end-all or be-all but my own, so where's everyone else stand on the scale? Or do you use a different one entirely, like 1-5 or 1-7?

8 - 10: The game is "special" to me
5 - 7: The game is varying degrees of good
1 - 4: The game is varying degrees of bad
0: Kinda like a 10 but the opposite

Spontaneous and late addendum: My goal with my scale has always been to not restrict general terms to small parts of it. "Good" deserves more than just 6 or just 7. I've always had a problem with that seeing site's scales look like this as I call a hell of a lot of games good and three numbers on the scale is the MINIMUM the word deserves. Additionally, I've always felt 8 - 10 should hold value. I want the games and TV shows and movies and books up there to really say something about my tastes. The "special" word encapsulates that feeling perfectly for me. I always ask myself whether I consider the thing special as I give it a higher score.

JordanN

Banned
0-9 game sucks
10 game rules

5SnhWWo.png

MormaPope

Banned
8 - 10: The game is "special" to me
5 - 7: The game is varying degrees of good
1 - 4: The game is varying degrees of bad
0: Kinda like a 10 but the opposite

This is my scale actually (I don't mean that possessively, you nailed how I feel).

When it comes to reviews from publications, the score itself doesn't matter nearly as much as the written review.

EBE

1-4 not even considering it
5-7 if enough people can convince me its actually fun or if i can find it on sale, will try, maybe buy
8-10 will try if im interested, probably buy

10 - As close to perfect as you can get

9 - Fantastic

8 - Great

7 - Good

6 - Decent

5 - Average

4 - Mediocre

3 - Bad

2 - Horrible

1 - Abysmal

0 - Rock bottom

I don't like skewed 1-10 systems...the middle number should be average quality...not horrible.

-MD-

1-4 not worth my time
5-7 mediocre/decent
8 good
9 great
10 memorable and something i'll probably revisit

5 point scale is easier and better.

terrible > below average > average > above average > great

Hip Hop

I treat it as the school grade scale.

9+ - A
8+ - B
7+ - C
6+ - D
5 or below - F

So anything below a 7 is iffy for me. Not that I wouldn't try anyways.

I don't have a 1-10 scale because I don't review games and so have no need for one.

If I did though, it would probably look like this:

1 - Dungeon Defenders
2-4 - not worth playing, may have some comedy value, I guess
5-6 - around average, good if you're into that kind of thing
7-8 - above average, must buy if you're into that kind of thing
9 - must buy if you're into any kind of thing
10 - SpaceChem
11 - Spelunky

OP, you give a game way too many points for simply "working," that should be the least you expect, not warrant a 4/10. That's how the "7-10 scale" exists.

I treat it as the school grade scale.

9+ - A
8+ - B
7+ - C
6+ - D
5 or below - F

So anything below a 7 is iffy for me. Not that I wouldn't try anyways.

Exactly why five point scales are better. Too many people can't help but associate 10 point scales (or 100 point scales) with grades.

Usobuko

Banned
If I have a 1-10 arbitrary scale, I will simply put my top favorites at 10 and then from there onward a comparative ranking methodology for each title. Basically, I like my 8s more than 7s, stuff in between gets 7.5 etc.

It will be until a point where I can't be bothered to correctly sort all of them.

Anustart

I really only have 3 ratings.

Game I tried but believed it sucked horribly, won't be returning.
Game was decent, not insanely good, but I'll be back now and again.
Game is awesome, let's play this one through all the way asap.

I prefer the 3 point rating scale.

:( - I dont like it
:| - Meh, the experience was okay but I probably wont do it again
:) - I like it and would probably view/play again

Going to 10 is pointless for me, I just go up to 5.

1 - Won't play even if you paid me to
2 - Will touch if there's literally nothing else to do
3 - Will play, might borrow. Won't own.
4 - Good game, might buy, very tempting
5 - Will buy, will play

1-4: I dislike this game a lot for some reason. In generally a game needs to be offensively bad to me to be put here. (e.g. Mass Effect 3)

5-6: Solidly average, meh, I don't despise it but I don't think it's good. (e.g. Bioshock Infinite)

~7: This game had some great ideas but executed them generally poorly. (e.g. Far Cry 3)

8-9: I think this game is good and enjoyed it. (e.g. Arkham Games)

10: Category reserved purely for games I liked way more then most people liked. As it was put earlier, this game is subjectively "special" to me. (e.g. most Source FPSs)

Going to 10 is pointless for me, I just go up to 5.

1 - Won't play even if you paid me to
2 - Will touch if there's literally nothing else to do
3 - Will play, might borrow. Won't own.
4 - Good game, might buy, very tempting
5 - Will buy, will play
this is all speculative -- what the hell is wrong with you

10- awesome
9-sucks ass
8-unbelievable
7-average
6-rental
5-most average of all time
4-super awesome
3-bad
2-kablammy
1-classic and must buy

Rajang

1. Unplayable garbage
2. Bioshock Infinte
3. LOL, yeah right
4. LOL, nice try
5. Meh just average
6. Decent game
7. Mmm thats good
8. That's great
9. Dayuum son
10. GOAT

Zolbrod

10 - Pretty much perfect at what it does. If it has any flaws, they are far outweighed by the good stuff.

9 - Excellent. Must-play game.

8 - Very good. Must-play if you're into the genre.

7 - Good. You should try it if you're into the genre.

6 - Meh. You might like it if you're into the genre. Otherwise avoid.

5 - Barely passable. Shouldn't bother.

4 and below - Avoid like the plague.

I honestly don't know what distinguishes 0 - 4.
I don't really have a standard for how BAD things can be.

big_z

1. shit is running down your leg and it wont stop
2. below average, flawed but playable maybe consider if you've played everything else
3. average game, not bad but does nothing to stand out
4. good game, tries to do something more but doesn't quite perfect it
5. a standout game for its genre, highly recommened

10 - Amazing, pinnacle of the genre and other games have to compare to this
9 - Great game, nothing wrong with it, just the highs of it aren´t as good as a 10 game
8 - Really good game
7 - Pretty good
6 - Above average
5 - Average in every possible way
4 - Below average
3 - Pretty bad, boring, technically a mess
2 - Shit game, why even bother making/releasing this
1 - go fuck yourself.

ShadowLag

I think the 10 point scale is redundant, I prefer 1-5. Mine is like this:

1: Don't even look in this game's direction. You've been warned!

2: It runs, but ultimately isn't fun or is too technically broken to play properly.

3: It's not bad. If you're a fan of the franchise or genre, try it out. If not, skip it.

4: This game is good and deserves everyone's attention, but it's okay if you skip it.

5: Everyone needs to play this game. Buy it or rent it, doesn't matter - just play it somehow!

---

I also like the Pros and Cons idea next to a score, or replacing the score entirely if the points listed are accurate enough.

Servbot24

Banned
10 - Transcendent. This rating is only used on extremely rare occassions. Exceeds all preconceptions and is staggering in its accomplishments.
9 - Amazing. This game represents the absolute peak of the genre.
8. Great. This game exceeds on multiple levels, flaws exist but are minor.
7. Good. Absolutely buy this game despite some blemishes.
6. Fairly good. This game is worth playing but the annoyances stick out.
5. Average. There is nothing remarkable about this game, or it fails as often as it succeeds.
4. Unsatisfactory. Unless you are a huge fan of the genre, don't bother.
3. Bad. Do not buy this game. There is very little enjoyment to be had even for genre fans.
2. Horrible. This game is the bottom of the genre, a complete disaster.
1. Sickening. I don't understand how this was ever released - unplayable or nauseatingly bad.

As an American high school teacher I've gotten sucked into the thinking of 90's are great, 80's are good, 70's are average, 60's are poor and anything below that is crap. I know I shouldn't but everytime I see a numbered score that's what my mind automatically goes to.

I know I shouldn't really follow that line of thinking since I LOVED the Game of Thrones RPG and that got a 52 on Metacritic.

Caladrius

10. Theoretically Perfect game.Would never use this score
9. Fantastic. Games that get this high are almost always ones I've been able to replay 4 times or more and still enjoy. (The current record-holder for that is the original Paper Mario, with 12 playthroughs.)
8. Great. Kind of game I can replay at least 2-3 times.
7. Fun, but something I would probably wait a long time to revisit.
6. Average, but enjoyable and a good way to kill a few afternoons
5. Painfully Average, wouldn't go back to after the first session
4. Poor. Can power through if there's some redeeming feature, but otherwise this is barely ever touched, if at all.
3. Bad. Something I would hate to play for more than 10 minutes.
2.Horrendous. I've only ever played one game that fit that qualification. (Nickelodeon Party Blast. Don't ask me why, I don't know either)
1. Completely unplayable. Never encountered a game like this.

FDBK

Pretty much non-linear / logarithmic:

1-3: Game is unplayable and unenjoyable
4-6: Poor gameplay mechanics or both not very enjoyable and felt like a chore

7: Average at best and likely have played through entire main story.
8: Very good gameplay-wise and has good atmosphere, enjoyable.
9: Awesome experience with very little to complain about
10: Perfect from start to finish

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
10: Perfect, aka I don't really use this particular rating at all.
9: It's amazing, but still has some flaws. My level of enjoyment still vastly outweighs the flaws of the game.
8: It's great, but not that amazing.
7: It's good. Not much else to say.
6: It's slightly above average, but filled with flaws that hold it back.
5: Base line, mediocre, average.
4: Poor, below average.
3: Starting to get into the bad range.
2: It's pretty bad.
1: Pretty much garbage.
0: It's basically Big Rigs.

DeSolos

1-6 Won't play

7 - Might play if it's one of those "maybe the fans will like it?" games and I happen to be one of those fans(ie. Kingdom Hearts spin offs)

8-10 playable

0-5: Garbage, too many good games out in the world to waste time on stuff like this

6: Only on a very special scenario will I recommend this game, if it's a unique genre or some type of rough diamond.

7: Similar to 6, but much easier to recommend due to more polish.

8: Good game, some flaws that stand out, but if you're a fan of a genre it's an easy recommend.

9: Great game, minor flaws but it does so much right that they don't matter.

10: Sets a new standard for the industry in some way, we're talking Resident Evil 4, The Last of Us, Uncharted 2 type of quality.

If you use a 10 for perfect, and thus don't ever give it out you're silly

I could pretend that I have a true 1-10 scale but I don't. You're right OP, years of education will tell you that 70% and below is failing. And I'll agree with that. We all know it from education so why fight it now? OTOH, if you jump to a 5 point scale, or even a 10 point (0.5 - 5.0) scale, it's easy to make those distinctions without immediately jumping to a 6-10 scale. IMO, most 1-10 scales really are just 5 point scales, with all points 6 and below negated.

Enco

1-4 not even considering it
5-7 if enough people can convince me its actually fun or if i can find it on sale, will try, maybe buy
8-10 will try if im interested, probably buy
This.
5 is pushing it though.

1-5 scale:

0: will not run, or so buggy that actually playing is impossible.

1. Runs, but deeply flawed, or just not very interesting.

2. I can see what they were trying to do, but it seems like they just went part of the way and gave up. I'd also put a lot of derivative pay to win mobile games here.

3. Sets out to do something, and largely accomplishes that, but otherwise, isn't anything special. Sort of like the cliff notes version of a much better game. May also be just too buggy or rushed to be worthy of a higher score.

4. Plays well, and does what it tries to do, with some good mechanics and interesting gameplay. May introduce new functionality not seen before, or blend stuff in an interesting way. They could also be sequels that play as well as genre defining ones, but don't do anything but give more of the same.

5. Something that looks, play, and feels well. A memorable experience without any major flaws, or something that causes a shift in how we think about a particular genre. These games set the new standard that future games will have to meet or exceed.

I use a 5 point scale with no half points. I find 10 points is unnecessarily, there isn't that much nuance in how I feel about a game.

1 = Shit
2 = Bad
3 = Average
4 = Good
5 = Great

In the rare instance where I feel something falls between points I usually err on the side of Sturgeon's law and round down.

Top Bottom