• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How's your 1-10 scale work?

EulaCapra

0 to 6 - does not exist in my book. Shame on me and my choice to play these!
7 - Garbage game if I bought it. I'd have to rationalize why I bought it and make an excuse as to why it gets a generous score.
8 - Good. Maybe not as good as its intended full price tag, but it's still good and had a worthwhile experience.
9 - Full price justified. Quibbles must be large enough that the game goes from a 10 to a 9 but more often than not, a game that looked like an "8" would end up as a "9."
10 - Minor quibbles don't detract from the overall package which I would gladly pay full price for. I hold it in high regard.

Tain

1: Horrible
2: Not worth playing
3: Solid, probably worth playing if you're a genre enthusiast.
4: Good
5: Great

No halves.

Garbage = 1-6

7 = No More Heroes 1 type of game, a very flawed game with so much promise but really fun overall.

8 = Nintendoland, Great game. For example, very fun, lots of variety and not many flaws, but nothing outstanding overall.

9 = Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze = Outstanding game, improves on the previous game in nearly every aspect, amazing if not perfect soundtrack, only negative is long and tedious boss battles just like the previous game.

10 = Bayonetta 2 = Nearly perfect in every way. Gameplay, pacing, controls, music, graphics, presentation and extras make this a must have game that defines it's genre. No game currently can match it.

1 - Garbage (eg. Big Rigs?)
2 - Awful (eg. Super Time Force)
3 - Terrible (eg. Zone of the Enders)
4 - Bad (eg. Strider 2014)
5 - Average (eg. The Legend of Korra)
6 - Good (eg. Alien: Isolation)
7 - Very good (eg. Sunset Overdrive)
8 - Great (eg. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze)
9 - Amazing (eg. Bayonetta 2)
10 - Masterpiece (eg. Crimzon Clover: World Ignition)

I think a 20-point scale is ideal (7.5, 8.5, etc), but 10-point is manageable as well. Anything less just isn't good for creating accurate tiers.

Crayon

Heres mine.

*A poor example of a videogame of any genre. This is a disservice to the medium.

**A poor represenration of is genre. Fans of the genre digging deep and prepared for substandard product could approach this as an exercise.

***A competant expression of genre. Fans of the genre will appreciate the highs and lows. Those new to the genre should start with a four star game.

****Genre leading concept and execution. Those looking to start in a genre should come here first. This game helps define the standards within its genre.

*****Regardless of genre, this is a fine videogame. Easy to recommend to anyone who has ever enjoyed a game. Even those who have sampled and disliked this games genre should give it a chance to change their mind.

Sez

5SnhWWo.png

There are some reasons of why this works.

In some countries in school you get grades from 0-10 where 0 - 6.9 is not approved. In some cases is the same if you get a 0 or a 6.

So you learn that 0-6 is really bad, 7 is just the necessary, 8 is ok, 9 is good and 10 is excellent.

I see reviews the same way I saw grades in high school

A: 93-100
B: 85-92
C: 75-84
D: 65-74
F: 0-64

Which tends to line up with how most reviewers work

I generally view a 1-10 scale like this:

1-5 = Avoid, it's not worth your time
6 = decent experience, not bad but nothing special.
7 = This is good, check it out if you've got nothing better to do.
8 = This is really, really great! Go buy it!
9-10 = This is a superbly crafted experience that should be played immediately.

I use a scale of 5 and am pretty strict with it.
5: exceptional; only three games have been worth this rating for me
4: excellent; highly enjoyable and usually clearly above other games in certain aspects
3: good; does most things right but lacks something to make it special
2: ok; enjoyable but underwhelming
1: lacking; bad, unimaginative and unsatisfactory

I see reviews the same way I saw grades in high school

A: 93-100
B: 85-92
C: 75-84
D: 65-74
F: 0-64

Which tends to line up with how most reviewers work

if you're reviewing the game's quality, this scale works best. if you're reviewing the game's potential audience, the whole scale should be used, with higher numbers representing a wide demographic and lower ones representing niche titles with smaller fanbases. i think the problem is that they get mixed up when they're two separate things.

redcrayon

I prefer review systems that use the whole scale. As outlets can't review everything and so tend to prioritise the stuff people are interested in, it seems crazy to have 6 ways of saying a game is bad and only a couple of distinctions between 'average' and 'awesome'.

I do also tend to subconsciously use the 'add a point if you like this type of thing' rule. I like lots of niche stuff that reviewers seem to dock points from for not being a more popular genre.

J Range

Pretty much what I see is this:

10- Game of the generation
9-excellent
8- solid
7 - ok
6-flawed
1-5- varying degrees of bad

RedSwirl

A four-point system basically.

1-6/10 = one star. Mediocre to bad. Don't bother with it.
Ninja Gaiden III

7/10 = two stars. Good, average, okay. A well-executed game might still be this if it's boring and by-the-numbers. Maybe buy it on a really really cheap sale if you're curious.
Assassin's Creed III, Bioshock Infinite in my opinion

8/10 = three stars. Great game, but not quite an absolute must-buy for everyone. Sometimes a game with flawed execution might be this if it at least tries something new and different. Maybe buy on a kinda low sale if it's not squarely in your taste zone.
Dead Space, Dead Space 2, Yakuza series, Dark Souls 2, quirky niche games people like despite their flaws

9-9.5/10 = four stars. A game only counts as this if I can't put it down. Highly recommended purchase at full price.
Wolfenstein: the New Order, Bayonetta, Okami, Super Mario Galaxy

10/10 = extra platinum medal. Only the greatest games of all time are this, or at least the greatest games in a console generation. Whole years might pass by without a single game being this good in my book. Some games might be this only in retrospect.
Resident Evil 4, Super Metroid, A Link to the Past

Edit: In hindsight this actually does look at lot like an American school grading system, with a distinction between A and A+ but no distinctions within other letters. Huh.

10 for me is something everyone should stop, look, play and appreciate. Consumers, developers, press alike. It's important, whether you like the genre or not. Because the ideas contained should hopefully transcend to other genres.

Also not all games are born perfect. They don't start a 10 and get "docked" points.

photogaz

I never really thought I would give a game 10/10 no matter how good it was. However, games like the Last Of Us really do have a level of quality that you just can't beat. The first time I played it in PS3, I thought its a 9 or 9.5. The second time on PS4, I'm thinking it might actually be a perfect 10.

I think scores can be a bit iffy sometimes. It really depends what you like.

My favourite movie is The a Godfather. However, my favoutite comedy is Dumb And Dumber. It would really depend in what somebody was asking me to how I respond as my favourite movie. Both a great for their genre but the former is a hugely different score as and overall movie in my eyes.

Firsr person or 3rd person action I'll never play less than a 8. However, a driving game or fighting game that got 7/10 I would probably buy

My scale is, from bottom to top:

Cheetahmen
Big Rigs
Those Bible NES games
Sonic R
Minesweeper
Donkey Kong Country
The Legend of Zelda The Minish Cap
Castlevania NES
Final Fantasy IX
Super Metroid

(In reality it's more like: I don't like it, I could go without it, I like it, I love it)

Jobbs

Banned
we don't need it to be so granular. my feelings for games are never that granular.

I prefer a five banana system.

• If a game is awesome and I just love it to bits, I'll give it five bananas. this doesn't even mean necessarily that it has absolutely no flaws. It just means I love it. For instance, I give Alien Isolation five bananas and GOTY. Is it flawless? No. But I love it and it's novel and fresh and exciting. Same story with Dragon's Dogma. 5 stars and GOTY 2012. Flawed? Yes. But it was fresh and exciting and excellent and just made me all kinds of happy.
  • 4 bananas would be a game I enjoyed a lot but didn't feel that extra sizzle for. The Evil Within is a good example of a 4 banana game.
  • 3 bananas mean it's okay, I may or may not find it to be a worthwhile play depending on the particulars.
  • 2 bananas the game is pretty bad and not worth playing.
  • 1 bananas means the game is really bad.
  • 0 bananas mean the game is so bad I'm offended and want to make a statement.

Steel

Banned
I scale things by how much I like them.

For example

0-1: I don't like anything about this game, 1 would be an absolute shit game with a cool title/box art.
2-4: There's a little bit to like about this game, but it's buried under so much shit that it's not worth it.
5: Meh games. Either excessively average to the point where there's nothing I particularly like or dislike, or a balance of good and bad points that balance each other out. Something like Watch_Dogs would be a 5/10.
6-7: Medium games. Interesting, not bad, but nothing novel or particularly exciting. A solid enough game.
8: A pretty decent game. Has one or two novel points to it and it's good points cover up any flaws it might have pretty well.
9: A decidely great game. Does either does something exceedingly well, or something completely novel, or both. Often times these games end up as game of the year for me.
10: For games that feel like they're tailor made to my tastes. I like almost everything about them and any flaws the game has are practically invisible because of that.

Griss

I'm seeing the word 'average' pop up here a lot, and it raises a huge issue with rating systems in general. No matter what number you assign to 'average', be it a 5 or a 7 etc, the question is... The 'average' of what?

Are you averaging all the games that you personally played? All the games you've played in a given genre? Your perception of all released games in a given year? No one can play all released games, that much is obvious. So what does 'average' really mean?

Personally I only play games that I think I'll really enjoy (save for some PS+ misadventures) but this means that my concept of 'average' is super high. Is that fair? Most game releases (say 90%) would feel like they were below average to me.

That's why personally the concept of average doesn't factor into my rating scale.
1 star - Awful
2 stars - Bad with a redeeming feature or two
3 stars - Competent and somewhat fun, but my time could have been spent better elsewhere.
4 stars - Really good, with some flaws or annoyances keeping it from true greatness.
5 stars - A thoroughly fantastic experience, with little to no negatives attached.

EDIT: And the above is graded only on my subjective experience playing the game - it's not a software review. I don't care if it runs at 25fps if I enjoy it, I don't care if there are bugs if I never encounter them etc.

KooopaKid

Banned
I use a 1-5 star range.

5: Perfect or almost perfect, a classic or very original, nothing major to complain about.
4: Great game but one big issue stops it from being a cult classic.
3: Good game, quite enjoyable but nothing remarkable and a bit forgettable.
2: Bad game, not fun, punishing, unfair, poorly made in several areas.
1: Abysmal, broken, very buggy, avoid at all cost.

I like a 1 through 5 scale.

1 - shit. (Devil May Cry 2)
2 - decent game with at least some redeeming qualities, but I wouldn't recommend it. (Dust: An Elysian Tail, Serious Sam 2)
3 - solid game, good but nothing particularly special. (Contra 4, DmC, PN03, Shovel Knight)
4 - excellent game. (Metal Storm, Doom II, Volgarr the Viking, Devil May Cry 4)
5 - masterpiece. (Ninja Gaiden Black, Hard Corps: Uprising, Ketsui)

My scale is based on do I think it's worth playing then modified by how compromised/flawed it is
e.g a game that was a decent idea with flawed execution and a shit ui might score a 5 or a 6, while a fairly polished game that has no game mechanics or ideas making it worth playing would score a 4 or less.

1-4 : varying grades of irredeemebly bad/lame (e.g homefront, mw2, la noire)

5: there's a game under there but there's way too much wrong with it

6: meh gameplay

7: decent game overall cool concept/fun gameplay but not great

8: great would play again (e.g Ys series, hot shots tennis, disgaea series, gran turismo 3 , dragon's dogma, portal 1-2, l4d, rtcw, bf1942, hl2, rollcage,)

9: those ultrarare amazing games that don't do anything wrong really or that blow me away (dota2 , ns2, original cs, quake 3, ssx, crash team racing)

10: almost nothing , maybe half life 1 due to the amount of awesome mods it spawned

Games with terrible (or a lack of) game mechanics score really low on my scale (e.g cod, AC games)

I disagree with the notion that a game should have to flat out not work to score a zero. I would score a game like I was scoring a test and award points for what it does right. As opposed to the commonly used system of every game defaulting to a perfect 10, then starting to knock points off only after cataloguing a load of problems. If I think a game is utter shit, functional or not, it's getting a big fat 0. Maybe a 1or a 2 if it has nice rock textures and decent IQ like Knack.

I'm seeing the word 'average' pop up here a lot, and it raises a huge issue with rating systems in general. No matter what number you assign to 'average', be it a 5 or a 7 etc, the question is... The 'average' of what?
"Average" is what I'd call a game that's neither good or bad. It's just right there in the middle being completely boring. Maybe "mediocre" would be better, but it still means the same thing.

Cosmozone

"Average" is what I'd call a game that's neither good or bad. It's just right there in the middle being completely boring. Maybe "mediocre" would be better, but it still means the same thing.
A boring game is below average for me. Since this rating it sits in the middle, things can get much better, but also much worse. Boring is already a tad worse, and eventually more than that depending on if it's boring or reeeaaally boring. :)

ugoo18

The 10s i've personally given were for Metroid Prime 1 and Dark Souls 1, they were games that felt like they simply went from strength to strength as i played through them.

Below a 5 for me implies that there was something fundamentally flawed with the game to the point of turning me off the game example being ACIV. 6 and 7 depend on my overall experience with the game, for example i'd give Shadow of Mordor a 7/10 because while i did enjoy my time with it the drop in difficulty as you progress made encounters more tedious time wasting than interesting experiences and the ending absolutely drove down my rating of the game immensely.

A 9 is a great game that was missing a certain aspect to put it over the top example being Deus Ex Human Revolution. What exactly it was missing i can't say for sure (Haven't played it in a while now) but as blown away as i was by how good it was i still felt that it was missing that little bit of extra greatness to be a 10 in my eyes.

8 to 8.5 are damm good games that lack a bit of polish to be a 9, examples include Sleeping Dogs and Dishonored. Both games that i enjoyed immensely but little issues within them (Pacing in Dishonored felt a bit off and Sleeping Dogs had a bit too many glitches for my liking) prevent them from hitting a 9.

5 - Loved it
4 - Liked it a lot
3 - Liked it a little bit
2 - Disliked it a little bit
1 - Disliked it a lot
0 - Hated it

I have no need for anything over 5. I hate the 10 point rating system, especially when they start throwing in decimals.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
0-4 : Game is broken and a complete waste of time
5-6: Mediocre game with some fun with it, but not worthy of a $60
7-8: Good/great game
9: Excellent
10: Perfect

10: A veritable Jesus Christ the King of game releases. Must be sturdy enough to take on all comers - getting played more than any game in the current rotation, and good enough to dissuade me from buying new stuff in the first place.

Not to be taken to mean perfection - no game ever is, right?

9: Still really frigging good, but has certain niggling flaws that dissuades me from endorsing it to other people as a 10.

7-8: A strong game that may not do anything particularly groundbreaking, but in my opinion was absolutely worth the cash. Generally well made.

5-6: Games with some pretty serious problems that still manage to be somewhat acceptable; for instance, a solidly designed FPS with moderate technical issues, or a JRPG with a middling story but entertaining systems. I'm a big advocate of 5's and 6's, or as i like to call them, "B Games".

2-4: Ineptly made. Examples include: Poorly translated (as in bad Engrish that's incomprehensible), terrible design choices, etcetera. Can also apply to games that are seriously broken technically, especially when it seriously impacts games in the genre the game is in (serious framerate drops affecting aiming for FPS, terribad loading times between battles for JRPG's). Also, being buggy to the point of unplayability.

1: Viking: Battle for Asgard on PS3. I keep trying to leave it at my friend's house "accidentally" but he keeps fucking giving it back. A running gag. ;-)

odhiex

I have 4 categories of buying games as below, but that doesn't mean I am super wise at buying games. Sometimes I bought bad games accidentally, however I wouldn't mind recommending my friends to avoid it based on my own experience.

1-4 = don't bother. (just go watch some gameplay videos for the lol)
5-6 = mediocre but has some neat ideas. ("consider" buying when it's cheap)
7-8 = good game but has some minor flaws (would buy at sale)
9-10 = amazing game, probably worth to buy at full price.

Please note, I rarely buying games at full price.

MaddoScientisto

Neo Member
0/10 - Never come across a game this bad. But I suppose I'd reserve it for something like it blatantly not working with no support from the devs ever.

1 - 3 - Extremely poor games with very few redeeming qualities and a total waste of my time to play. I've never played a game that I'd rate this lowly.

4 - 6 - Mediocre games that either didn't personally interest me or require a lot more work in order to perfect.

7 - 9 - Excellent games with memorable gameplay experiences, few bugs and mostly enjoyable.

10/10 - Life changing games that resonate with me long after I've finished playing them and serve as an example of the pinnacles of gaming.

Shion

10. Revolutionary masterpiece
9. Excellent
8. Great
7. Good
6. Decent
5. Average
4. Below average
3. Bad
2. Awful
1. Unplayable

Rarely play trash games so my scale only really goes like 7-10
7-good, not worth my time though (TEW)
8-Great,enjoyable nothing ground breaking
9-Incredible game/experience
10- Masterpieces don't need to be perfect, just need to be incredibly unique experiences ( Dark souls 1 / Alien Isolation / Bayo2)

I feel OP nailed it.

10 is a game that will be remembered forever and should be played by everyone, even if they're not a fan of the genre usually. Has flaws but none that really ruin the experience (RE4, Portal 2, MGS3)
9 is a damn fine game. Everyone should look up to it. Excels at what it tries to do. (W101, Okami, Infamous)
8 is solid. A few flaws but nothing that really detracts from the fact it succeeds so well at some aspects (Red Faction Guerilla, Shadow of Mordor, Binary Domain)
7 means well and may have a bunch of standout features but has too many flaws to really be a great game. Generally games that were way overhyped (ACIII, Hitman Absolution, Alan Wake)
6 has one or two great features but fails in so many areas that really you should only play it if you feel you have an obligation to (AC1)
5 just exists. Nothing that good, nothing mechanically bad.
Anything under 5 is varying degrees of poorly made bollocks with Big Rigs: Over the Road Racing at 0.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
Under 6: Dropped, couldn't even finish, and wasn't happy playing it.
6: Forced myself to finish \ dropped due to competition.
7: Finished in dead time.
8: Played in normal time.
9: Lost sleep to play.
10: Lost workdays to play.

whoszed

So I've learnt to use the 1-10 system on IMDB, and it in a lot of ways works the same way for games. I just don't score games as often as I do movies.

1 to 4 - From offensively bad to simply underwhelming

5 - A mediocre title that has some pretty big issues but some good qualities as well

6 - A solid title that has some flaws but the good outweighs the bad. Give it a look if the game interests you

And the rest ranges from good to 10/10 which doesn't mean the game's perfect. It simply means you feel like the game gave you everything you wanted and was almost entirely successful in executing its ideas.

Most of the time a 10/10 would signify that not only is the game something I personally love, but that it also is important to this medium as a whole, and pushed it forward in some meaningful ways.

With my 10s, I never give them out until after a few months or years later when I can reflect on it again. I'll go to 9.5, but 10 seems like ...I'm calling it an instant classic which I'm never comfortable in doing so until actual time has past.

My 10s pretty much include MGS3, 2, Portal 1, Shadow of the Colossus, Journey, RE4 and ... maybe the following; The Last of Us, Half Life 2 trilogy (I'm kind of cheating here) and Mass Effect 2, The Stanley Parable, Gone Home, San Andreas, TWD, The Wolf Among Us, CTR, Tekken 3 and Thomas Was Alone. Also a bunch of arty farty games that probably most people don't know about like Glitchikers and Morning Coffee though I feel weird rating these games as it seems like rating a painting which is so subjective.

None of these games are perfect of course (Journey might actually be flawless though, though that doesn't mean its the best), but they achieve something which hit at my core in some way, whether its just emotionally or through sheer unadulterated exhilaration like with RE4 or a combination of both.

whoszed

5 - Loved it
4 - Liked it a lot
3 - Liked it a little bit
2 - Disliked it a little bit
1 - Disliked it a lot
0 - Hated it

I have no need for anything over 5. I hate the 10 point rating system, especially when they start throwing in decimals.

The problem I have with the 5 star system is that it leaves little room in the middle where most movies at least fall. Probably games too, I just haven't rated them as often. So I like being able to separate between 5, 6, 7 and 8.

I need that specificity.

Neifirst

I've been gaming long enough to pretty much know what I'll like by checking out a preview. Mine's a pretty simple up-or-down purchase decision based on previous interest:

Already interested
7 to 10: Buy
Below 7: Skip or wait for a sale

Not really interested
9 to 10: Wait for a sale or skip if not interested in genre at all
Below 9: Skip

I waited for a sale on Dragon Age Inquisition before trying it since I usually don't like fantasy games, but with all of these GOTY awards, I thought I should try it. As I expected, it just wasn't a game for me, but I was able to trade it in after a few days and it only cost me $2 out-of-pocket.

Top Bottom