• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How's your 1-10 scale work?

batbeg

I don't have a ten point scale. They're used for people incapable of reading and digesting critical thought so they can distill an entire experience down to a mostlyarbitrary number. Why would I need a numberfor my own thoughts? I know how I feel. If I want to tell someone else how I felt about a game I similarly use words to translate my thoughts.

Amused

10 - As close to perfect as you can get

9 - Fantastic

8 - Great

7 - Good

6 - Decent

5 - Average

4 - Mediocre

3 - Bad

2 - Horrible

1 - Abysmal

0 - Rock bottom

I don't like skewed 1-10 systems...the middle number should be average quality...not horrible.

I like this, mostly. Avarage games though... not very good (way more bad games than good out there). I would simply switch mediocre and avarage.

5 - Mediocre - not good, not bad.

4 - Avarage - more bad than good.

3 - Bad.

for anime i have a quick scale:

Rewatchable
10 - A masterpiece with very minor problems. A show that sticks with me years later.
9 - Amazing beginning to end with issues that may or may not have bothered me
8 - Very enjoyable, though some weak moments held it back
7 – Entertaining enough to rewatch but brought down by several annoying problems

Not Rewatchable
6 - Decent. Had some fun watching it and the potential was there, but it went in wrong direction
5 - Few good moments but mostly boring or frustrating
4 - Interesting premise but ultimately a disappointing waste of potential
3 - Regret watching
2 - Dafuq is this
1 - Don't bother

it'd probably be similar for games, although i'd put a greater emphasis on replay value and lasting impression. a "perfect" game i'd only play once wouldn't get a 10 from me for example.

10. The game embracing and brilliantly polishing every thing gaming is all about. Can be shown to everyone, even to non-gamers, as an example of a proper game.
9. Pretty much like 10, but with some unpolished moments and without the capability of singlehandedly representing the gaming.
8. Quite solid and enjoyable game. Can have one or two moments that can heavily split the fanbase of the game or the game series based on their opinions.
7. This game can be very enjoyable if you like the genre, series or concept.
6. The game has its moments, but is not very solid as a whole. Or: the game that has equal chances of being surprisingly beloved and being thrown in a trash can after a few hours of gameplay.
5. It seems that the basis, the core, the essense of this game is flawed so much it affects the overall product. If the game can be described as "the game X would be great if deevlopers had more time, were skilled enough, weren't limited by something etc.", it does not deserve that score.
4. There is no single somehow outstanding feature of this game.
3. The best word that can be found for describing this game is "entertaining", with a lot of if-s and for-s.
2. The game is so unoriginal and/or broken that it is very near the edge of being a game.
1. It is not a game by definition. It does not have player interaction, rules, resources or conflict - basically, the core elements of a game.

1 - Broken, complete waste of everyone's time, barely counts as a game (Big Rigs)
2 - Basically a 1 but you can at least kinda see a game maybe (Superman 64)
3 - You can play it but it isn't fun or the fun comes from how unstable it is (Sonic 06)
4 - You can play it but it might feel off, unfinished and/or bland (Sonic Boom)
5 - You can play it but it may have some problems and/or you wouldn't be missing anything if you didn't (Anarchy Reigns)
6 - You can play it and if you're lucky you'll enjoy it despite its mediocrity (PS All-Stars)
7 - You can play it and you're likely to enjoy it if you like the genre, might not interest you otherwise (No More Heroes 2)
8 - You should play it because you're likely to enjoy it, especially if you like the genre (Elite Beat Agents)
9 - You should play it because you're very likely to enjoy it, unless you absolutely can't stand the genre (Gears of War)
10 - You really should play it, if you don't like the genre and it doesn't win you over a little bit I'll eat my hat (Bayonetta 2)

the problem with talking about and recommending video games is that we like doing different things, even if it's just fiddling with our thumbs and pointer fingers. music and movies and paintings are easy; there's a finite, finished product that we can recommend or critique based on a complete experience.

with video games we're either doing -- or stopping doing -- an activity, instead of experiencing a finite and complete product, so we're stuck talking about why we continued or ceased to continue an ongoing experience. it's why game reviewers take the role of consumer reporter first and art critic second. it's not about judging a whole product, it's about rating a complete experience.

game critics are forced to finish games -- don't trust them. trust people who you are familiar with, people who value the kinds of experiences you seem to, or have in the past. anything else is buying into the hype machine.

Mine goes something like this.

10 - Masterpiece
9 - Great
8 - Very Good
7 - Good
6 - Fine
5 - Average
4 - Bad
3 - Junk
2 - Junk
1 - Total Junk

To be completely honest, I rarely use 1-3. Your game has to be pretty damn terrible for me to warrant scoring it that low. I agree with others who have said that the scores for games should really center around "average." That said, when rating, I probably use 7-9 the most. I think why that happens is I don't have time to play games that I know are actually bad, so I try to focus on really good/great stuff, hence a preponderance of 7s, 8s and 9s.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
3 point scale with a personal recommendation possible at any level.

1 point - not worth it (if recommended, it means that it's so bad it's worth experiencing)
2 points - flawed, but worth it if a fan of the genre, source material, etc. (recommendation here means it's good, and depending on your tolerance maybe even great, but keep your expectations in check)
3 points - great. It may have some flaws, but you'd be a jabroni to worry about them. (recommendation here means the game is a close to perfect as possible).

It's technically a 6 point scale, but the recommendation aspect acts more as a modifier than a half step up.

RPGam3r

Assuming I have interest in the game.

10 buy immediately
9 buy immediately
8 buy soonish
7 buy on sale
6 buy with a much better sale
5 and below probably never buy

10 - Near perfect
9 - Great game
8 - Good, but with some issues
7 - Average
6 - Kind of bad
1-5 - Failure

Basically I go with a number version of school grades. A C-something is average, so a 7-something is too. I probably score games higher on average than most people here, but I'm okay with that.

5SnhWWo.png

This is incredibly, sadly accurate.

10- Anything with Metal Gear in its name.
9- Anything made by Sony
8- need a buffer zone
7- Nintendo games even without playing them
3-6- 3rd party games
2- UbIsoft
1 PC exclusives
0 xbox exclusives
-10 Mirror's Edge

:p

I go by the time/money mix, with some recent examples:

Buy full price and play asap (Bayonetta 2, Forza Horizon 2)
Buy on initial price drop (DA Inquisition)
Rent asap, maybe buy on discount later (Far Cry 4, Shadow of Mordor)
Buy from bargain bin as it's interesting, maybe play later (AC Unity)
Not worth my time or money (The Crew, Driveclub)

I can't really go into detail about what my 1-4 would be. I don't purchase blindly, and I have a pretty good idea of what I like, so I'm not really ever going to buy a game I actively dislike. As for the others:

5 - Played it, didn't hate my time with it, but also nothing particularly good about. Pretty much mediocre.

6 - There was one or two elements I actively enjoyed about the game. So overall good, but not particularly memorable.

7 - Solid game with good or even very good elements but most likely has some things holding it back.

8 - Very good game with a significant amount of good qualities and very few things I have a problem with.

9 - Overall amazing game with minimal negatives. I was actively enjoying my time with the game pretty much the whole way through.

10 - Masterful game with next to nothing wrong with it. These for me are usually examples of what I want from a particular genre. One big thing that usually differentiates a 9 from a 10 for me is that a 10 goes above and beyond in presentation or something like that. For example, the Mario Galaxy games' grandeur or Super Metroid and the Prime games' atmosphere.

matm666

Being from Mexico to me works like grades in school:

1-5: Fail
6: Mediocre but playable
7: Good in some areas, needs more polish
8: Good
9: Really good
10: Excellent

I hate scales and try not to use them. 1-5 is better, but has similar issues. The times I do use them are very loose and based more on feeling than any objective points or a pro/con comparison. A 5 is sort of that genre elevating/defining work while a 2 is, while playable, rather broken.

Usually I just keep it at a recommend or don't recommend. Sometimes some caveats are thrown in there in a 'maybe/not-yet' type of verdict, but that's a rare thing.

Edit: As for how I take the meaning of other's reviews, depends on the person who gave that score and what was written. Should never take those numbers at face value.

i feel like there's a disconnect here. some people are talking about what score it takes to get them to play a game and some people are talking about how they personally evaluate games they've played.

Floridian

1-7: Don't even talk to me.
7-8: Hit & Quit maybe.
8-9: There's a chance i'll stick around
9-9.9: Good enough for me
10: Must have; confirmed

Fou-Lu

5 - Mother 3 (This game is special)
4 - Dragon Age Inquisition (Great game worth every moment spent)
3 - Tales of Graces (A game with enough good qualities that I can overlook its flaws and enjoy it)
2 - Drakengard 2 (A mediocre game that's forgettable or bad, but might have some redeeming points)
1 - Last Rebellion (Either so bad or so technically unsound that it's unplayable)

i feel like there's a disconnect here. some people are talking about what score it takes to get them to play a game and some people are talking about how they personally evaluate games they've played.

if i'm interested in the quality of a game, i'll want to see gameplay, facts and informative opinions on the gameplay, not a score.

a score IMO is a personal way to organize the media i've experienced. i don't think it should be relevant to anyone else considering that everyone's scale is different.

Cider

I'm a simpleton. I would give shitty things a 0 of I could, but lucky for them I can't so they get 1's (why the fuck did I spend my money and time on this - Beyond Two Souls, newer harvest moon games, for example).
Stuff I enjoy kind of but find boring fast get 7 (new little king's story, watch dogs, infamous ss, rune factory 4), more fun ones get 8 (oras because I'm a sucker, gta v, Danganrompa1&2, heavy rain, twd 1), really good ones get 9 (Uncharted 3, the wolf among us, virtue's last reward), and Uncharted 2 gets 10.

Cosmozone

Nice and interesting thread. I've often pondered on how I would've rated a particular game if I were to review it. I still think an evenly laid out 1-10 scale is pretty fitting, but just hasn't been used and perceived in a way that fits my taste.

For me, it would be something like:

1 - Broken and pretty much unplayable.
2 - Playable but boring and not enjoyable in any way.
3 - Has some merits, but has serious flaws that bog it down.
4 - Somewhat OK game, doesn't do much wrong, but lacks any ambition.
5 - Your average game, well playable and even fun, but nothing special.
6 - One of the better games with more individuality and good value, but has issues that impair my enjoyment.
7 - High value game, with no real flaws (for me), but not enough to really wow me.
8 - Excellent game, has some outstanding merits that wowed me.
9 - All-time great, excels in multiple categories.
10 - Near-perfect, excels in all categories.

No real 10 for me so far, but it's definitely doable. That categories BTW are visuals, audio, gameplay and atmosphere. If a game has not enough content, that will also put down the score no matter how good it is.

10 point scales are the worthless because of the American schooling system. I like binary or ternary systems. Buy/don't buy. Buy/wait for price drop/don't buy.

Bar them 5 points are OK but a lot of people just associate them with 10 point scales a 3 for example being a 6 and they're also completely worthless then.

Phear

3 - Bad Game
8 - Good Game
9 - Excellent Game which i'd like to play through only one
10 - Excellent Game which i'd like to play through more than once

I don't ever use other numbers.

You mean my two point scale?

0 = Don't play it.
1 = Play it.

If you really need me to "go deep", then I'll use the only other correct form of grading video games. The five point scale. In which case:

1 = Don't play it.
2 = Probably don't play it.
3 = An average score for an average game.
4 = Probably play it.
5 = Play it.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Here's how I'd like it to work.

1 - Busted
2 - Annoying glitches, and not well designed.
3 - Game functions bit it's terrible.
4 - Game is boring. (So, Epic Mickey 2)
5 - Average. Some warts, but it's something some might wring some entertainment from. (Lotta kiddie games would fall in this territory.)
6 - Probably a good game if you can figure out its mechanics. (Something like an unexceptional fighting game. Niche title, but it'll be fun to specific audiences)
7 - Solid game. Doesn't do anything to really inspire a lot of attention to itself after you've beaten it. (Or it'll puff itself up with relatively uninteresting/meaningless sidequests that you don't care about.)
8 - Good game that gives you reasons to keep playing it.
9 - Similar to 8 but addictive in a good way. One of those games that manages to capture your imagination and keep you thinking about it when you're not playing it.
10 - Game you can't put down because it is balls out awesome. Immaculate package.

GamerJM

Banned
I haven't really used mine very seriously lately and probably need to revamp it because it's complete shit and makes no sense, but this is it:

10-An all-time favorite, top 10 of all-time tier game.
9-Really great game that I enjoyed playing more than most of my games, though it has problems holding it back.
8-Good, but not great game that I enjoyed playing.
7-Alright game, I didn't hate it and might have really enjoyed some parts but overall I wouldn't say it was good.
6-Average. Usually a game that does little to set itself apart from its peers, but is also not really remarkable in many ways.
5-Mediocre. Usually kind of bad, but it's completely unmemorable and unremarkable.
4-Bad. A game that I downright didn't enjoy playing in most respects, but is also not horrible.
3-Terrible. This is the lowest score a game can get without being downright broken in some respect. Just bad in almost every way and not worth playing at all.
2-Partially broken. This game is somewhat playable, but some aspects of it outright don't function or work at all.
1-Entirely broken. Every aspect of the game doesn't work. The worst a game can be, makes you wonder "How did the developers ship this?".

Ishan

0-4 ignore (unless youre trolling ppl)
5 bad
6 pretty bad but if someone gives it to me for free ill try it for 2 min
7-8 could be good depending on taste, will probably ignore unless its free
9 good game
9.2/3 + try it out even if its not your genre.
9.5+ PLAY at the least . in capitals.

AniHawk

my scale has eleven stages

10 - 'game of all-time' status (of which there might be a few)
9 - 'game of the generation' status (of which there might be a few per generation)
8 - 'game of the year' status (of which there might be a few per year)
7 - good
6 - above average
5 - average
4 - below average
3 - bad (but at the point where it still may be entertaining - see heavy rain)
2 - terrible (beyond the point where it's entertaining and it's simply frustrating)
1 - the worst games ever made (fortunately i really haven't found anything like this personally, but there seem to be a lot more games in this category than there ever should be)
jak ii

I fear adoring too many creative, interesting, yet janky or ugly games has turned me off the whole thing. Having them rated would do them a disservice in the traditional review dance, regardless of how worth I think they are playing. On the flip side of the same coin, highly polished directive work often does extremely well, and while I won't call blankly call any of them "bad", they are usually utterly uninteresting to me. Translating these feelings into a numerical 10-scale figure would more often than not be considered hipster trolling.

It's probably less messy to stick to a simple "Would recommend", Would recommend with caveats" and "Would not recommend". Ultimately that's what these figures are going to boil down to anyway, and keeping it relatively vague promotes actually reading your justification for the verdict. It also bypasses the embarrassing 'This game got a 9.6, but that other game got a 9.7' stuff we get every few years.

I hate scales and try not to use them. 1-5 is better, but has similar issues. The times I do use them are very loose and based more on feeling than any objective points or a pro/con comparison. A 5 is sort of that genre elevating/defining work while a 2 is, while playable, rather broken.

Usually I just keep it at a recommend or don't recommend. Sometimes some caveats are thrown in there in a 'maybe/not-yet' type of verdict, but that's a rare thing.

Edit: As for how I take the meaning of other's reviews, depends on the person who gave that score and what was written. Should never take those numbers at face value.
Basically this.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
I don't really have a scale, first of all there's the:

-interested
-not interested

distinction that not necessarily has to do with quality, then between the "interested" games there are:

-boring/unplayable(really rare since i choose what i'm interested in)
-enjoyable enough(many)
-really fun(most of the games i buy)

As you may notice fun is all that really matters to me, in fact is not rare for me to prefer some "mediocre" games with bad graphics and/or bad story etc to some "good"/"great" ones because of the fun.

gogosox82

I don't really like the 10 point scale. Honestly, anything below a 5 really isn't worth playing. 5 point scale works better overall.

Mine is:

5-Excellent
4-Good
3-Decent
2-Medicore or Below average
1- Terrible or unplayable nonsense

Ploid 3.0

0 - the game has spunk but no tofu.

1- This game uses blue a bit much, I like blue.

2- Who eats tofu anyway. More milk please!

3- This is amazing, I like that stuff.

4- No!

5- YEs...

6- Same as 5 but a bit of 4.

7- 0 but it has tofu and not enough spunk.

8- I should have done a 1-5

9- Ok this is 10, imagine 0 is 1 and change the others accordingly. Amazing!

I'm not a fan of any rating other than replayability. Is it highly replayable? I think I'll want that game.

Zimbardo

10 = outstanding
9 = excellent
8 = very good
7 = good
6 = fair/so so

5 to 0 = varying degrees of shit. from mild shit to complete shit.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Scales where 5 is average are useless unless you clearly explain that 5 is dead average and everyone pays attention and understands what you're saying. So basically... completely useless.
People are too used to 7 meaning barely acceptable.
Also, if you use a 5-is-average scale and your reviews are weighted on Metacritic, then you're a troll.

Our schooling system has 50-59% set as a D, so:

1 - Garbage. Completely broken and a chore to play.
1.5 - Bad
2 - Poor. Not a good game, notably below-average and not worth your money.
2.5 - Mediocre
3 - Decent
3.5 - Good
4 - Very Good
4.5 - Excellent
5 - Near Flawless Victory

Giever

No, 5-point scale.

0 - Unplayable, or absolutely terrible piece of shit. May be good for laughs, like that racing game where you clip everywhere, or Superman 64.

1 - Pretty terrible still, a lot of boring licensed games would fall in here.

2 - Not very good. Could have some games in here that you actually enjoy playing, depending on your tastes. Maybe some lame-ish NES games from your childhood, that kind of suck in retrospect, but you can still dig somehow.

3 - Starting to get into legitimately good territory. Serviceable, something that you can kill time with and enjoy, but doesn't hold any particularly special place in your heart.

4 - Games you look forward to playing. You actually are into these ones. Even if someone isn't particularly into the genre, they still might be into one of these.

5 - Classics, obviously. Things that you can always go back to, or at least remember fondly. The various 5s you enjoy may actually vary a fair bit in your particular enjoyment of them, but it would be silly to keep rating higher and higher when they're fairly equivalent.

kirby_fox

Banned
0: This game literally is not a game, and I don't understand why it's called a game.

1-2: This game is broken and unplayable.

3-4: This game is shit.

5: This game is neither bad, nor good.

6-7: This game is enjoyable, and I would recommend it.

8: This game needs to be in your collection.

9: This game is mandatory for your collection as a gamer.

10: This game doesn't exist because nothing is perfect.

Top Bottom