• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

January Wrasslin' |OT| It's a New Year, Yes It Is!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zach

If you really had to boil it down:

IWGP Junior Heavyweight Tag Team Championship match: Young Bucks vs. reDRagon vs. Sydal & Ricochet vs. Roppongi Vice is a very good spotfest that tells a decent story. If you're not burned on combinations of these teams, this is a good check of what they're doing.

IWGP Junior Heavyweight Championship match: Kushida vs. Kenny Omega has some great stuff with Ryusuke Taguchi (yes, I know), and Kenny Omega's strikes in this match are impressive.

NEVER Openweight Championship match: Tomohiro Ishii vs. Katsuyori Shibata is a brutal match of spiritual machismo.

IWGP Intercontinental Championship match: Shinsuke Nakamura vs. A.J. Styles is a technical masterpiece, even if the match didn't have the emotional impact that it needed to kick it to the truly elite level.

IWGP Heavyweight Championship match: Kazuchika Okada vs. Hiroshi Tanahashi is the culmination of Okada's feud with Tanahashi. You get more out of the match if you've seen the other matches recently or if you remember them well, but it's a suitable ending to the story.
What is this, like half the card?! Oh, alright. I'll try to watch them all. Thanks.

What is this, like half the card?! Oh, alright. I'll try to watch them all. Thanks.

Yeah, I guess it is half the card (if we include the New Japan Rumble).

Keep in mind that I watched Wrestle Kingdom 10 over three nights, which helped to fend off burnout.

You could try the English commentary if you really hate yourself or want to hear just how bad Yoshitatsu really was. Otherwise, stick to the Japanese commentary.

Anth0ny

You've got some splainin' to do, NeoGAF Vince.

And thanks for the suggestions, my good man. Hopefully they're better than WrestleMania 2000.

tMId8xU.gif

16 Karat Line up looks decent:

ZSJ
Tommy End
Daisuke Sekimoto
Big Daddy Walter
Speedball Mike Bailey
Shane Strickland (Killshot)
Trevor Lee
Will Ospreay
Angelico
Sami Callihan
Robert Dreissker

And then I think Timothy Thatcher, Marty Scurll, Axel Dieter Jr and Big Damo have some sort of qualifying matches?

National Hug Day, you say?

dungeon_of_doom_giant_hogan_yeti_double_bearhug_from_wcw_halloween_havoc_95_qaR1HYeF.sized.jpg

ZSJ
Tommy End
Daisuke Sekimoto
Big Daddy Walter
Speedball Mike Bailey
Trevor Lee
Will Ospreay
Angelico
Sami Callihan
Robert Dreissker

And then I think Timothy Thatcher, Marty Scurll, Axel Dieter Jr and Big Damo have some sort of qualifying matches?

That's a fine line-up for 16 Karat Gold. I'm a little surprised Hero isn't on the list, but I'd imagine that Hero would be more expensive than these guys. Angelico and Lee seem like odd fits, and I'm not the biggest Callihan fan in the world.

Kaladin

ZSJ
Tommy End
Daisuke Sekimoto
Big Daddy Walter
Speedball Mike Bailey
Trevor Lee
Will Ospreay
Angelico
Sami Callihan
Robert Dreissker

Probably depends if Thatcher is still out of action with a staff infection.

Xater

For 16 Carat Gold wXw just added Will Ospreay, Angelico, Trevor Lee and Sami Callihan.

Personally still not convinced to go.

Wish I could go to 16 carat, some great looking potential matches on paper - Damo vs Daisuke? Oh my.

Damo faces Axel Dieter Jr. to qualify while Marty takes on Da Mack. Definitely see Marty getting through, not so sure on Damo. Tyler Bate & Thatcher are competing for a place via 4-man round robin blocks.

Ithil

I've never seen anything that suggests he'll do that.

Scott Hall said he heard Vince say at WM 12 that he'd rather have a half-full arena cheering for what he wants than a full arena not cheering what he wants, in response to many fans leaving during the main event.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
For 16 Carat Gold wXw just added Will Ospreay, Angelico, Trevor Lee and Sami Callihan.

Personally still not convinced to go.

Oh. Sami Callihan...darn.

The others, though...fuckin Ospreay!

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Worst possible Rumble OT, in the vein of those terrible smarked out titles we used to have:

Royal Rumble 2016 |OT| Will Vince Make Roman Look Strong? (Yes! Yes! Yes!)

God that hurts me to even type, but many a laugh was had.

His boot ain't there yet. Nor are his muscles.
I don't think anyone has matched that. He made a big boot look like a scm or Haku's death kick.
Don't curse a man like that.
That's a compliment. I was a big test mark as a kid.

What's the latest on Jrug Hardy btw? Wasn't there some talk of bringing him back? What if he's a surprise entrant this Sunday? Now that would be a surprise with no talk of him at all.

Xater

Oh. Sami Callihan...darn.

The others, though...fuckin Ospreay!

I don't know any of these guys. (I know Sammi, but he isn't exactly exciting) I only know that Ospreay is supposed to be good.

Last year felt bigger to me with Scurll, Tommy, End, Zach Sabre Jr., Chris Sabin, Uhaa Nation and World's Cutest Tag Team.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Not a fan of Will 'The Future' Ospreay, Sunny? I tell ya, that kid's going places. Hopefully not to TNA full-time, but places nonetheless!

No no, the opposite - I LOVE Ospreay. I meant that in the best "the fuckin others!" way!

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
So is Avatar stuffs happening for this Sunday's Royal Rumble?

not yet. I just got triggered so it might not happen at all, but at a later date since I'll be out of towne.

To be fair, I just tried to come up with a current day indy 16 man tournament lineup and struggled

If cost is not a concern, and if we leave the Japanese guys out of it:

Chris Hero
Timothy Thatcher
Tommy End
Zack Sabre Jr.
Ricochet
Matt Sydal
Will Ospreay
Drew Galloway
Mike Bailey
Chuck Taylor
Michael Elgin
Kyle O'Reilly
Big Damo
Big Daddy Walter
Dave Mastiff
Daisuke Sekimoto

And that leaves out guys like Noam Dar, Axel Dieter, Trevor Lee, Scurll, Mark Andrews, and Willie Mack. Or, you could include guys like Drew Gulak, Davey Richards, Eddie Edwards, and Roderick Strong if your tastes swing that way. And I've left off Pentagon Jr. Huh.

If cost is not a concern, and if we leave the Japanese guys out of it:

Chris Hero
Timothy Thatcher
Tommy End
Zack Sabre Jr.
Ricochet
Matt Sydal
Will Ospreay
Drew Galloway
Mike Bailey
Chuck Taylor
Michael Elgin
Kyle O'Reilly
Big Damo
Big Daddy Walter
Dave Mastiff
Daisuke Sekimoto

And that leaves out guys like Noam Dar, Axel Dieter, Trevor Lee, Scurll, Mark Andrews, and Willie Mack. Or, you could include guys like Drew Gulak, Davey Richards, Eddie Edwards, and Roderick Strong if your tastes swing that way. And I've left off Pentagon Jr. Huh.
Very solid list. I'm not as up on US indys really.

Ahh well, only 4 months till Super Strong Style 16 2016

Speaking of Callihan, he's actually done quite well for himself - when he signed for the WWE he wasn't a "big" name like Devitt or AJ, he wasn't even that hyped compared to the likes of Apollo & Zayn and, ultimately, he failed to make any real impact in NXT. However, now he's been released, he's booked all over the place as a "former NXT Superstar". At the very least his NXT run seems to have created more opportunities for him and has raised his profile, but whether he can have the sort of matches to back up his hype is another matter entirely.

Very solid list. I'm not as up on US indys really.

Ahh well, only 4 months till Super Strong Style 16 2016

Goddamn, can't wait for that - last year's was so much fun! Hoping for at least one Japanese name this year. It's a strong style tournament, ffs!

Xater

Speaking of Callihan, he's actually done quite well for himself - when he signed for the WWE he wasn't a "big" name like Devitt or AJ, he wasn't even that hyped compared to the likes of Apollo & Zayn and, ultimately, he failed to make any real impact in NXT. However, now he's been released, he's booked all over the place as a "former NXT Superstar". At the very least his NXT run seems to have created more opportunities for him and has raised his profile, but whether he can have the sort of matches to back up his hype is another matter entirely.

Exactly, which is why I would have preferred other guys. More Japanese talent would have been welcome. Might have been even cheaper than Sammi.

DMczaf

It's an old angle they were going to do in 2012 or so as Ambrose's debut feud, but then Foley found out from his doctor he could never wrestle again, so it was scrapped and Ambrose had to wait til the Shield to make his debut.

It was going to be so damn good too.

#WorkedShootApproved

I'm going to spend time today booking what this tournament would look like because I'm a huge dork and because I'm bored at work.

Please do

Hard mode: You can have up to 2 New Japan guys, but the higher profile of them has to win the tournament, and the other needs to at least make the semis.

Gurrry

It's an old angle they were going to do in 2012 or so as Ambrose's debut feud, but then Foley found out from his doctor he could never wrestle again, so it was scrapped and Ambrose had to wait til the Shield to make his debut.

lol jesus thats weird as hell. were they going to air this clip on tv or something? or was it supposed to just make its rounds on the interwebs?

Having a five-person Rumble party on Sunday, and want to assign random entry numbers to all five of us, with a prize going to whoever has the number that corresponds to the winning Superstar.

Anyone know of a website that can help me randomly assign all 30 numbers across five people?

Please do

Hard mode: You can have up to 2 New Japan guys, but the higher profile of them has to win the tournament, and the other needs to at least make the semis.

Who are we counting as New Japan guys? Would Kyle O'Reilly, #BIGMIKE, Ricochet or Sydal count? Would the Suzuki-gun guys count? If so, I would have to switch my roster up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom