• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

January Wrasslin' |OT| It's a New Year, Yes It Is!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nekofrog

Banned
as i was watching NXT last night, i couldn't help but wish that Alexa Bliss had Emma's music. I like Emma in her current form, but i think Alexa Bliss has improved so much and plays the bad guy so well that she'd be so much better with the best music in NXT right now.

Sephzilla

as i was watching NXT last night, i couldn't help but wish that Alexa Bliss had Emma's music. I like Emma in her current form, but i think Alexa Bliss has improved so much and plays the bad guy so well that she'd be so much better with the best music in NXT right now.

I think I like Alexa Bliss's techno-James Bond knockoff theme better than Evil Emma's theme, honestly.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I'm going to spend too long in the voting thread wasting time to type up a top 10 list so i'll just post it here with no reasons instead

1. Assassin's Creed Syndicate
2. Cities: Skylines
3. Guitar Hero: Live
4. Sengoku Basara 4 Sumeragi
5. Until Dawn
6. Yakuza 5
7. Mario Maker
8. Mad Max
9. Witcher 3
10. Postal 2: Paradise Lost(yes they put out a Postal 2 expansion in 2015)

the Haruka segments in Y5 are just garbage that goes on for too long and the overall story is weaved possibly the worst in the series so far even though the new settings are fantastic. they retread FAR too much old stuff and they've really got to move onto some new characters and y6 needs to rework the combat system from the ground up for boss battles. still so hype about y0 and kiwami though.

fallout and xenoblade bored me into not ever wanting to play either ever again and king's quest and blues and bullets probably would have made the list if they put more than one episode out this year.

Aiii

So not worth it
Mods cant change tags. I found this out two days ago when i think flammable made a joke for new tag for me.

Only admin can switch and i warn you, dont ask. Bannable offense apparently

Edit: it was fox, not flammable. Whatevs, all "f"s look the same to me

Mods request the tags. Kabouter got me mine.

I'm going to spend too long in the voting thread wasting time to type up a top 10 list so i'll just post it here with no reasons instead

1. Assassin's Creed Syndicate
2. Cities: Skylines
3. Guitar Hero: Live
4. Sengoku Basara 4 Sumeragi
5. Until Dawn
6. Yakuza 5
7. Mario Maker
8. Mad Max
9. Witcher 3
10. Postal 2: Paradise Lost(yes they put out a Postal 2 expansion in 2015)

the Haruka segments in Y5 are just garbage that goes on for too long and the overall story is weaved possibly the worst in the series so far even though the new settings are fantastic. they retread FAR too much old stuff and they've really got to move onto some new characters and y6 needs to rework the combat system from the ground up for boss battles. still so hype about y0 and kiwami though.

fallout and xenoblade bored me into not ever wanting to play either ever again and king's quest and blues and bullets probably would have made the list if they put more than one episode out this year.

I really want to play Cities: Skylines. I just need to clear out some backlog first.

All right, Flammable D and klonere, here's my card.

Participants:
Minoru Suzuki (NJPW representative)
Katsuyori Shibata (NJPW representative)
Zack Sabre Jr.
Daisuke Sekimoto
Chris Hero
Will Ospreay
Mike Bailey
Timothy Thatcher
Chuck Taylor
Ricochet
Big Damo
Michael Elgin
Big Daddy Walter
Tommy End
Matt Sydal
Dave Mastiff

First Round Matches:
Minoru Suzuki vs. Chuck Taylor: I was reminded when I watched that Mecha Mummy vs. Suzuki match that Suzuki is capable of holding his own in a comedy match. And he's the oldest, most respected guy booked, so let's give him an easy path to the finals. If I'm going to have a comedy match, I'd want Taylor instead of Grado or Colt Cabana. And Suzuki can just stiff the shit out of Taylor if he gets annoyed. This should be entertaining, if nothing else.

Chris Hero vs. Ricochet: Shades of their feud in Chikara! Hero had an underrated 2015, and his knockout artist gimmick vs. Ricochet's high flying should be a good contrast. Hero also knows how to play a base for Ricochet.

Katsuyori Shibata vs. Big Damo: Sometimes, you just need fuckers hitting each other as hard as they can. This is one of those matches.

Mike Bailey vs. Michael Elgin: Elgin couldn't be paired with the likes of Damo, Mastiff, or Walter because I was concerned that he would be humiliated by comparison. So, you need a smaller guy to be paired with him. Bailey's martial artist gimmick works as a face vs. face match, and Bailey's size let's Elgin do some power stuff that he wouldn't necessarily be able to pull off against the other hosses.

Daisuke Sekimoto vs. Big Daddy Walter: Another match of hard motherfuckers hitting each other as hard as they can.

Tommy End vs. Timothy Thatcher: I think they had a great striker vs. grappler match at the Evolve show during WrestleMania 31, and they could repeat that match here. That match could also be a breather on the card because it's a slower pace than the others.

Matt Sydal vs. Will Ospreay: The high flyer of the past and present vs. the high flyer of the future. Let there be a spotfest.

Zack Sabre Jr. vs. Dave Mastiff: This is Sabre's first great test. How does he get past a huge guy like Mastiff? It's all about dodging, weaving, and chopping Mastiff down.

Quarterfinals:
Minoru Suzuki vs. Chris Hero: I don't remember if we got this in NOAH's Global League last year, but this is again all about creating a smooth path for Suzuki. Hero will treat Suzuki well, and it should be a fun match of grumpy Suzuki vs. egotistical Hero.

Katsuyori Shibata vs. Mike Bailey: I just want to see Shibata laugh off Bailey's kicks and punt Bailey in the head. This could be a squash, but Bailey plays small babyface in peril well.

Daisuke Sekimoto vs. Timothy Thatcher: Can Thatcher keep out of Sekimoto's grasp while he works on his own submission game? Can Sekimoto take Thatcher out with some powerful hoss moves? I think this would be a fun combination of men in plain black trunks and black boots.

Zack Sabre Jr. vs. Will Ospreay: Sabre survives Mastiff, so now it's a change of pace. Two junior heavyweights of different styles clash as Sabre now has to try to keep up with Ospreay.

Semi-finals:
Minoru Suzuki vs. Katsuyori Shibata: The match we still haven't gotten in NJPW, grumpy Suzuki vs. grumpy Shibata should be great.

Zack Sabre Jr. vs. Timothy Thatcher: I was torn between Sekimoto and Thatcher, and I went with Thatcher because Thatcher would present a different match for Sabre than Sekimoto. Sabre would have fought Mastiff already, so another match against a hoss wouldn't be as interesting. Instead, we would have a David vs. Goliath hoss vs. junior heavyweight match in Sabre Jr. vs. Mastiff, a junior battle of styles with Sabre and Ospreay, and now a grappling match with Sabre and Thatcher. This would also help fight off the impression that Sabre Jr. only wrestles Sabre Jr. matches and that he can't switch it up.

Finals:
Minoru Suzuki vs. Zack Sabre Jr.: We get the match that we didn't get in NOAH, as Suzuki will force Sabre to use a little bit of everything from his previous matches to survive. Suzuki will win the whole thing, but Sabre Jr. should be a challenging task.

Menome

Wait, I lied:

An-i-meee, (Yeeeah)
Was cree-paay, (Yeeeah)
An-i-meee, (Yeeeah)
Got Zach banned tonight,
Don't diss avs, alright?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Man, that's a real bummer, losing Zach. Did he get got for telling it like it is with those animu uguu avatars?

Folks the times they are a changin, as Zach moves on like a rolling stone and is now knockin on heaven's door. Just remember buddy that just like every grain of sand that death is not the end

Zach was the man the Authority came to blame
For something that he has done
Put him in a ban timeout but one time he could-a been
The WWE World Heavyweight Championship of the World.

Participants:
Minoru Suzuki (NJPW representative)
Katsuyori Shibata (NJPW representative)
Zack Sabre Jr.
Daisuke Sekimoto
Chris Hero
Will Ospreay
Mike Bailey
Timothy Thatcher
Chuck Taylor
Ricochet
Big Damo
Michael Elgin
Big Daddy Walter
Tommy End
Matt Sydal
Dave Mastiff

First Round Matches:
Minoru Suzuki vs. Chuck Taylor: I was reminded when I watched that Mecha Mummy vs. Suzuki match that Suzuki is capable of holding his own in a comedy match. And he's the oldest, most respected guy booked, so let's give him an easy path to the finals. If I'm going to have a comedy match, I'd want Taylor instead of Grado or Colt Cabana. And Suzuki can just stiff the shit out of Taylor if he gets annoyed. This should be entertaining, if nothing else.

Chris Hero vs. Ricochet: Shades of their feud in Chikara! Hero had an underrated 2015, and his knockout artist gimmick vs. Ricochet's high flying should be a good contrast. Hero also knows how to play a base for Ricochet.

Katsuyori Shibata vs. Big Damo: Sometimes, you just need fuckers hitting each other as hard as they can. This is one of those matches.

Mike Bailey vs. Michael Elgin: Elgin couldn't be paired with the likes of Damo, Mastiff, or Walter because I was concerned that he would be humiliated by comparison. So, you need a smaller guy to be paired with him. Bailey's martial artist gimmick works as a face vs. face match, and Bailey's size let's Elgin do some power stuff that he wouldn't necessarily be able to pull off against the other hosses.

Daisuke Sekimoto vs. Big Daddy Walter: Another match of hard motherfuckers hitting each other as hard as they can.

Tommy End vs. Timothy Thatcher: I think they had a great striker vs. grappler match at the Evolve show during WrestleMania 31, and they could repeat that match here. That match could also be a breather on the card because it's a slower pace than the others.

Matt Sydal vs. Will Ospreay: The high flyer of the past and present vs. the high flyer of the future. Let there be a spotfest.

Zack Sabre Jr. vs. Dave Mastiff: This is Sabre's first great test. How does he get past a huge guy like Mastiff? It's all about dodging, weaving, and chopping Mastiff down.

Quarterfinals:
Minoru Suzuki vs. Chris Hero: I don't remember if we got this in NOAH's Global League last year, but this is again all about creating a smooth path for Suzuki. Hero will treat Suzuki well, and it should be a fun match of grumpy Suzuki vs. egotistical Hero.

Katsuyori Shibata vs. Mike Bailey: I just want to see Shibata laugh off Bailey's kicks and punt Bailey in the head. This could be a squash, but Bailey plays small babyface in peril well.

Daisuke Sekimoto vs. Timothy Thatcher: Can Thatcher keep out of Sekimoto's grasp while he works on his own submission game? Can Sekimoto take Thatcher out with some powerful hoss moves? I think this would be a fun combination of men in plain black trunks and black boots.

Zack Sabre Jr. vs. Will Ospreay: Sabre survives Mastiff, so now it's a change of pace. Two junior heavyweights of different styles clash as Sabre now has to try to keep up with Ospreay.

Semi-finals:
Minoru Suzuki vs. Katsuyori Shibata: The match we still haven't gotten in NJPW, grumpy Suzuki vs. grumpy Shibata should be great.

Zack Sabre Jr. vs. Timothy Thatcher: I was torn between Sekimoto and Thatcher, and I went with Thatcher because Thatcher would present a different match for Sabre than Sekimoto. Sabre would have fought Mastiff already, so another match against a hoss wouldn't be as interesting. Instead, we would have a David vs. Goliath hoss vs. junior heavyweight match in Sabre Jr. vs. Mastiff, a junior battle of styles with Sabre and Ospreay, and now a grappling match with Sabre and Thatcher. This would also help fight off the impression that Sabre Jr. only wrestles Sabre Jr. matches and that he can't switch it up.

Finals:
Minoru Suzuki vs. Zack Sabre Jr.: We get the match that we didn't get in NOAH, as Suzuki will force Sabre to use a little bit of everything from his previous matches to survive. Suzuki will win the whole thing, but Sabre Jr. should be a challenging task.

Solid, solid card. I especially love the sound of Shibata stiffing Bailey to death. Suzuki in a tournament sounds like the best time, and there's a nice spread of every kind of match you could want over the bracket.

Just in case you hadn't seen them, Sydal and Ospreay have had 3 dope matches in RevPro last year, and similarly Sabre/Ospreay had a great tournament final at PROGRESS.

Also RIP in peace Zach. I almost weighed in on that date-rape thread, but even I know that's suicide.

Zach was talkin' on NeoGaf
Soon to be divorced
He tried to discuss anime avatars
But he used a little too much force

[painful harmonica solo]

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
Here we go.

I cannot believe that people are actually going to fall for this again. People can't be legitimately that dumb, right?

This is factually correct. Daniel Bryan could get cleared by 28 doctors (the same number of hacks that write RAW each week) and it wouldn't make a difference.

Dude's fucked. And has always BEEN fucked. Getting that B+ player treatment.

Welp, there it is.

Vince hates Bryan so much that after letting him beat HHH, Batista, and Orton and Main Event WM 30, that in one of the roughest injury laden times where nearly every main eventer is out; he would order a doctor to risk his medical license in order to keep Bryan down. That Vince McMahon, he of the "will make up with anyone and do damn well near anything" would pass up on potentially millions of dollars in additional network / ticket sales / etc in order to bury Daniel Bryan. Who, by the way, appears to have the main storyline of the new season of another show the WWE makes.

Not because his company is getting sued for ignoring concussions, or that said doctor is already being portrayed as negligent to concussion damage in a major movie, or that Bryan has had upwards of 18 concussions. (To note: Wes Welker had 8-10; and was basically blackballed from the NFL for having too many, even though he was also cleared by multiple doctors).

Seriously?

Honestly; they should have Bryan live-tweet the Rumble from his couch or something. Just absolutely remove the notion that he is even there.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Again I'll point out that Tommy Dreamer, who averages a concussion a week, was cleared.

From their perspective it's irrelevant because their issue is that Bryan did bad on some test soon after the first concussion that indicated progressive damage.

I would think, in the unlikely scenario Bryan is cleared, they'll keep him as far away from the Rumble match as possible, and announce his return to Raw to drive some ratings instead. There's no way Vince puts him in the match to ruin the night again, dammit.

From there he'll head straight into a build for a Mania match with Nakamura.

jmdajr

Damn another competitor eliminated.

also

“you know I’m a UFC fighter, not WWE. We actually fight and don’t wear costumes.”

klonere

Banned

Liking the way you book Suzuki to the finals, especially the comedy in the first match, I only last week saw the Suzuki vs Mecha Mummy match so it's fresh in my mind! Suzuki vs Shibata should also be incredible. I'd probably have them do it under shoot style rules if I could. I haven't seen much of Thatcher but Thatcher and Sekimoto sounds intriguing. It's funny on my card I have Elgin going up against Sekimoto where you completely avoided anything like that. I think Elgin can have a good "you think you can knock me down?" kinda battle with Sekimoto. I'd demand the finish be a lariat or something. And we both booked Sydal vs Ospreay! Really cool inbuilt story of the veteran trailblazer flyer vs this upstart kid.

Anyway my card:

First Round:
Chris Hero vs Chuck Taylor - Hero gets to do comedy which from what I've seen he is rather great at.

Timothy Thatcher vs Ricochet - Classic flyer vs grappler. I think Ricochet's actually so all-round talented he can do anything it just so happens his move-set right now emphasizes his stupid agility and mobility.

ZSJ vs Katsuyori Shibata - A quick, stiff grapple strike fest. Shibata is a gritter more compelling version of ZSJ who I am not so high on but still is an excellent wrestler.

Tommy End vs Big Damo - I fucking love Tommy End. One of my favorite PROGRESS matches is him vs Dave Mastiff so another take on that would be equally as great I'd hope!

Matt Sydal vs Will Ospreay - Pretty much what you said.

Drew Galloway vs Dave Mastiff - Drew works great with guys at any size - he can convincingly dominate smaller dudes, match up to the jacked up monsters and here in this match, hoss out with the best of them. He is also a solid brawler which plays well into this match. Dave is another one of those fat cunts who can do terrifyingly agile stuff so I think this is a good pairing.

Michael Elgin vs Daisuke Sekimoto - Lots of grunting, screaming, chops, lariats and one or two slams. Hoss paradise.

Kyle O'Reilly vs Hirooki Goto - Goto while being a bit bland never ever has bad matches. Kyle's kicks and speed mesh well with Goto's incredible smoothness and brutal moveset.

Quarters:
Chris Hero vs Will Ospreay - Hero gets to hoss out as this young lad tries to run over him. Ospreay can get his shit in then bump like a king for the Hero.

Ricochet vs Drew Galloway - Remember when I said Galloway can work with any size? What about jacked up flyer? I see some crazy big boot counters/dodges and general insanity.

Hirooki Goto vs Michael Elgin - This will probably actually happen this year and it will be great. A match that would go over well in Reseda and Korakuen..

Katsuyori Shibata vs Tommy End - Kick. Kick. Kicks. Harder kicks.

Semis:
Chris Hero vs Hirooki Goto - Guys with movesets that are incredibly dangerous and stiff looking who can actually do a lot of everything. I want to see this very badly.

Ricochet vs Katsuyori Shibata - I've never seen Shibiata work a 1 on 1 with a high flyer and to put him up against arguably the definitive modern western high flyer would be a treat. He's just going to kick him though.

Finals:
Katsuyori Shibata vs Chris Hero - Elbow vs foot. Size vs Will. Fat vs Immaculate. Two men that could have been the faces of two huge companies, who both decided to follow a different path, ones that they would forge themselves. Here, those paths meet.

Just sayin'

Bryan versus AJ Styles would be a pretty cool match that would keep Bryan away from the title.

Actually.... I wonder what the heck they even do with Styles. I guess you can just slap him in the mid card and be aimless bit and put him in whatever 8 man spot fest they normally do at mania?

Jerm411

Just sayin'

Bryan versus AJ Styles would be a pretty cool match that would keep Bryan away from the title.

Actually.... I wonder what the heck they even do with Styles. I guess you can just slap him in the mid card and be aimless bit and put him in whatever 8 man spot fest they normally do at mania?

I assumed he'd be paired with Owens...that or the Bullet Club would be Haitch's retribution for Roman and he'd just cycle through them.

Just sayin'

So uh... what's Kane doing after the Rumble?

Sephzilla

D Minus czaf

giphy.gif

UberTag

That Vince McMahon, he of the "will make up with anyone and do damn well near anything" would pass up on potentially millions of dollars in additional network / ticket sales / etc in order to bury Daniel Bryan. Who, by the way, appears to have the main storyline of the new season of another show the WWE makes.
Bryan is an essential cog in the Total Divas money making machine that is the Bellas.
He kind of has to be incorporated for that reason and it's not like he has anything else of note going on at the moment.
The primary reason why D.Brine will never wrestle again in the WWE is that they don't want to jeopardize his vital contribution to the Total Divas franchise.
They made a good chunk of change this year off his career retrospective book and DVD, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom