• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

January Wrasslin' |OT| It's a New Year, Yes It Is!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaladin

You know this place will go fucking nuts when the buzzer hits and Flight of the Valkyries cranks up.

I'm not saying it will happen, but don't lie to yourselves.

Ithil

These Royal Rumble "statues" always make me laugh

fodmomerrd9sfd.jpg

FOD MI MERR

klonere

Banned
Huge year in numbers review over on Voice of Wresting here:

http://www.voicesofwrestling.com/20...-star-ratings-tv-attendance-wwe-njpw-nxt-roh/

Stuff I took away from it

- Cena is a DRAW dammnit! Shockingly enough he does the best house show business although he doesn't do great when not given the big markets)

- As most know by now, Mania is a draw on its own. It's probably going to break more business records for them this year despite the talent roster being decimated and no new appreciable draws have been made.
- Raw ratings are just down. They are down beyond what can be explained by mitigating factors.

- WWE business was not very good - ratings down, attendance steady, Network still can't retain subs past Mania. Still their current TV deal is very lucrative and they've gotten quite lean and mean in other areas so their overall shrinkage in revenue is not going to hurt as much.

- Most importantly for WWE they have a smaller section of fans spending way more money than ever before making up for all the others they have lost. Wrestling could be considered truly niche by that standard.

- Although I'm sure he knows already, Data will be happy to know that Gedo and Jado have had their booking turn out a down year for NJPW. Live attendance held steady most of the year, with one upswing at Dominion but WK10 is a big drop from last year although the Monday of this year compared to the Sunday of last could be a mitigating factor.

- NXT already outdraws ROH after a half year of touring. The power of the BRAND and papa Vince paying for your shiny super indie. Truly the most millennial of promotions.

- AJ and the Bucks were the two real business makers for ROH in 2015.

Hex

Banned
If WWE had any clue at all they would give Bryan v Nakamura at Mania and hype it as a huge international event years in the making.
They can run vignettes showing histories and accomplishments.
"International press will be there, dream match" etc etc

- Most importantly for WWE they have a smaller section of fans spending way more money than ever before making up for all the others they have lost. Wrestling could be considered truly niche by that standard.

WWE has gotten very good at bilking big money marks by making them think that paying to get close to the product is a way to get a foot in the door. Characters that they created like "Frank the Clown" or "Brock Lesnar Fan" are some of Vince McMahon's greatest achievements in the new kayfabe.

Pairing the Clown with Noelle Foley was an especially nice touch as the only thing more aspirational for a wrestling fan to get in the ring is to date an attractive woman.

Ithil

Wait, those were meant to be actual WWE wrestlers? They looked do generically bad that I thought they were asset-flipped from some Unity statues-pack.

What happened is someone in the WWE video team saw Avengers Age of Ultron and though "let's rip off the end credits for the Rumble theme" but forgot that Avengers had 200 million dollars' budget and they had 200 dollars.

Menome

What happened is someone in the WWE video team saw Avengers Age of Ultron and though "let's rip off the end credits for the Rumble theme" but forgot that Avengers had 200 million dollars' budget and they had 200 dollars.

Next year, for $200, I'll make it all for them out of Play-Doh.

Oersted

For what its worth, Pacific Rim did it before.

Next year, for $200, I'll make it all for them out of Play-Doh.

And the year after, Vince is going to piss their silhouettes into the snow, while a taped Rock yells "Can you smell it?!"

I don't know where this came from.

Recall

I'm trying to expand my Joshi knowledge but I really don't know where to start...

I watched a match everyone hailed as the best ever AJW match and it did nothing for me, I think I was missing out on backstory and the history of previous matches to appreciate it.

I need help to know where I should start.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
lol @ whatever title you were hoping to use in the official thread

this implies the styles clash will even be MENTIONED by commentary, let alone be used in the ring

wwe soft as fuck

Ohh I can hear JBL now

"This isn't the minor leagues, this is WWE where the real professionales are."

"Maggle this isn't some 3rd rate company run by Joan Collins from Dynasty"

Yeeeeeeeeeeeee Hawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

WWE has gotten very good at bilking big money marks by making them think that paying to get close to the product is a way to get a foot in the door. Characters that they created like "Frank the Clown" or "Brock Lesnar Fan" are some of Vince McMahon's greatest achievements in the new kayfabe.

Pairing the Clown with Noelle Foley was an especially nice touch as the only thing more aspirational for a wrestling fan to get in the ring is to date an attractive woman.
Yep. It's pretty amazing. He's captured the essence of wrestling, the average fan can SEE themselves as Frank The Clown. He's like the Great Value version of Turkish Johnny Depp. Skinny, frail, unimaginative. Brah probably lasts as long as Daniel Bryan in Wrestlemania 28. How much do you think Noelle is getting paid to play a long? The new kayfabe is really something else.

ryuen

I'm trying to expand my Joshi knowledge but I really don't know where to start...

I watched a match everyone hailed as the best ever AJW match and it did nothing for me, I think I was missing out on backstory and the history of previous matches to appreciate it.

I need help to know where I should start.

Which match was it? The 2/3 Falls Toyota/Yamada v. Kansai/Ozaki match?

If it wasn't that, I'd start with that, or Akira Hokuto v. Shinobu Kandori

Yep. It's pretty amazing. He's captured the essence of wrestling, the average fan can SEE themselves as Frank The Clown. He's like the Great Value version of Turkish Johnny Depp. Skinny, frail, unimaginative. Brah probably lasts as long as Daniel Bryan in Wrestlemania 28. How much do you think Noelle is getting paid to play a long? The new kayfabe is really something else.

Oh the dude plays wrestling fan great, not sure how long WWE has him under contract but from his IMDB page it looks like he wasn't getting much work as an adult and his only major credit was School of Rock as a kid actor so it's probably a cheap gig

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
If WWE had any clue at all they would give Bryan v Nakamura at Mania and hype it as a huge international event years in the making.

aXruhJY.gif

iMax

The "this is awesome" crowd literally doesn't give a shit about matches like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom