• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan ranks their favorite female characters from Final Fantasy

LuuKyK

Well, to be fair, considering how much of a failure SE have been with console development, it was either they made a sequel to FFXIII or they do nothing. Getting sequels doesn't really prove anything.

You could release a mediocre game and slap a FF title on it, and it'll still sell reasonably well. That's how dedicated the fanbase is.

Also, lol at the bold.

And why are you calling me a troll? No need for personal attacks. Lightning is a fictional character. I'm not hurting her feelings by saying this stuff. And I doubt Toriyama is reading these boards either. Probably too busy fantasising about Lightning.

See, that last comment was troll-ish.

He didn't even call you a troll, he said that there may be trolls in the internet. Which is totally true. And those "trolls" are the ones who over exagerate the hate for certain characters that maybe made you think that something is not how it really is.

I'm fairly sure the backlash is universal.

XIII has one of my favorite soundtracks in the entire series and the graphics are beautiful, but that didn't stop the story and characters (besides Sazh, who I expected to be a barret level stereotype once they revealed the afro chocobo) from being a trainwreck with no villain other than the gubment and a combat system that left zero room for experimentation. All the Final Fantasy games that are looked back upon fondly have one aspect that really stands out that makes them iconic (Vivi, Sephiroth, the Judges, Kefka) and XIII had nothing really like that.
If it was universal, Lightning wouldn't be at the top of this list and XIII-2/LR probably wouldn't exist.

Obviously the XIII games are disliked by a ton of people, but claiming it's universal is just silly in a thread that's raging over the fact that a bunch of Japanese fans apparently really like Lightning.

I'm fairly confident that FFXIII will be looked back on fondly someday. GAF is just a bunch of haters.
Yeah because by then SE will have dragged the Final Fantasy name so far through the mud, we'll be begging for something that's at least mediocre as a step up.

Aeana

I'm fairly confident that FFXIII will be looked back on fondly someday. GAF is just a bunch of haters.

This sort of perception change usually happens after people have had time with the game off of their radar and can re-evaluate it with a fresh perspective later on, but FF13 just keeps showing up again and again, there's no chance to forget.

nbthedude

I didn't think it was possible to like hollow emptiness.

Well to be fair are there any female FF character that are not hollow emptyness?

As much as I appreciate Square's production values and their combat systems, characterization is their weakest attribute.

Verendus

Banned
If it was universal, Lightning wouldn't be at the top of this list and XIII-2/LR probably wouldn't exist.

Obviously the XIII games are disliked by a ton of people, but claiming it's universal is just silly in a thread that's raging over the fact that a bunch of Japanese fans apparently really like Lightning.
What's the sample size of these things? A couple of thousand? None of it means anything.

What matters is sales.

The sequel to XIII which had Lightning plastered all over it for promotional purposes sold about 1.5 million copies. That's absolutely horrible for a FF mainline title. It says all that needs to be said about how people are perceiving Lightning "universally". LR bombing will further enforce that point.

I'm sure if you released a Cloud dating sim, it would sell more than that.

He didn't even call you a troll, he said that there may be trolls in the internet. Which is totally true. And those "trolls" are the ones who over exagerate the hate for certain characters that maybe made you think that something is not how it really is.
Uh...
Maybe in your internet troll reality games that get two sequels are "bomba city central."
I mean, your defence of him is admirable. But I'm quite confident of my grasp of the English language.

Perhaps.

I still remember the meltdowns on the internet when VIII came out and it was a divisive game in the fandom for years. Same with XII, though to a lesser extent. Both are looked back on generally more favorably now in hindsight.

The difference with XIII is they aren't letting it go. I was a very vocal fan of the original but even I'm left with a bad taste in my mouth after a mindless and unnecessary sequel and now the ubiquitous Lightning Returns cash grab. Had they left it and moved on we wouldn't be in this situation, but because Toriyama insists you like Lightning, whether you want to or not, he's going to throw sequels against the wall until one finally sticks.

Let Lightning go. Move on. Let people come to appreciate her (or at least "Worst Birthday Ever" Lightning, rather than "personality deficient" Lightning in XIII-2) by themselves. Though it's too late for that now, obviously.

WhyMe6

I really enjoyed FFXIII, and I'll pick up FFXIII-2 one day (when an ultimate edition is released <_<), but I certainly wouldn't put Lightning on any list of great characters. To me, she didn't even feel like a main character of the game - if you asked me who the main characters of FFXIII are, I'd say Sazh, Hope, Snow, Fang & Vanille. Lightning feels like part of the supporting cast, like Serah.

I also felt Serah was a more likable, enjoyable character in the demo of FFXIII-2 in comparison to Lightning in the whole of FFXIII :/

KNT-Zero

Lighting is first, and Lulu is nowhere to be seen.
WTF is wrong with Japan.

Srsly.
Lulu.jpg

I already look back fondly on FF13. It was a great experience with great characters, a fantastic combat system and some of the best music and art in the series.

LuuKyK

Every new FF is the death of the series, until the new one comes out

Seems to be the case really...

People need to calm down and enjoy the games. And if they don't like the game just wait for the next one in the series or go play some other game, its not like there aren't any other games out there...

I already look back fondly on FF13. It was a great experience with great characters, a fantastic combat system and some of the best music and art in the series.

Quoted for truth. I feel the same already. t_t

What's the sample size of these things? A couple of thousand? None of it means anything.

What matters is sales.

The sequel to XIII which had Lightning plastered all over it for promotional purposes sold about 1.5 million copies. That's absolutely horrible for a FF mainline title. It says all that needs to be said about how people are perceiving Lightning "universally". LR bombing will further enforce that point.

I'm sure if you released a Cloud dating sim, it would sell more than that.
Well I never claimed that this poll is representative of all Japanese FF fans. I doubt that it is. Still, it can't be denied that obviously a significant portion of the Japanese fandom likes Lightning. Also never defended XIII-2's sales. They were not so great for the series, it's true. But that doesn't make a statement like "the backlash is universal" accurate. Overwhelming? Perhaps. Huge? Definitely. Universal? No.

Probably, I remember tons of people hating on XII when it came out (offline mmo, vaan, boring story, unmemorable... etc), this is obviously not the case anymore.

Seems to be the case really...

People need to calm down and enjoy the games. And if they don't like the game just wait for the next one in the series or go play some other game, its not like there aren't any other games out there...
The problem is that SQEX has not given FF fans another game to turn their attention to. Like Aeana said, the existence of the sequels, instead of new FF games, is what's making anti-XIII sentiments particularly virulent. There's little else for FF fans to focus their attention on but XIII these days.

LuuKyK

The problem is that SQEX has not given FF fans another game to turn their attention to. Like Aeana said, the existence of the sequels, instead of new FF games, is what's making anti-XIII sentiments particularly virulent. There's little else for FF fans to focus their attention on but XIII these days.

Well, I can't say thats not true, but while the XIII games were being produced we had a lot of side games that appealed to all the fans, I mean Dissidia and Theathrythm are pure fan service and are good games. And there is still Type-0 that has a very different focus and style overall. Of course its not the same as a main new sequel. But people cant say there aren't options...

Dunan

You just know that Toriyama rigged the voting somehow.

You know there's an Excel chart on somebody's computer at SE with the totals on it, and Lightning is somewhere around 77th place (right in between Yang's wife and FFXII's Larsa, because a few people thought he was a girl), and that zany Motomu, despondent that the great unwashed still refuse to see what he wants them to see and can't appreciate True Womanhood, edited things so that they reflect how things ought to be and not how things are.

Just stop foisting her on us already, will you please? FFXIII would age so much better if you'd just let it go already.

Anyway, my votes. Some for beauty, some for admirable character, and some for overall excellence:

1. Ashe
2. Yuna
3. Quistis
4. Terra
5. Beatrix
6. Dagger

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Well, I can't say thats not true, but while the XIII games were being produced we had a lot of side games that appealed to all the fans, I mean Dissidia and Theathrythm are pure fan service and are good games. And there is still Type-0 that has a very different focus and style overall. Of course its not the same as a main new sequel. But people cant say there aren't options...

Well Type 0 is a separate title in the franchise. It has the power of a mainline title but is diminished due to being a handheld product.

Type 0, XIII series and Versus all share the FNC mythos making it so.

Psi

I somehow knew what the first one would be as I clicked on the thread.

Oh well, at least Yuna is #3.

Hmmmm. Now that I think about it, a memorable Japanese female character.

Can't really think of any atm.

Most are just written terribly or some weird moe shit.

Maybe tear from abyss.

Urg abyss.

Such a great list all I can see is
1.Terra (FFVI)
2. Terra (FFVI)
3. Terra (FFVI)
4. Terra (FFVI)
5. Terra (FFVI)
6. Terra (FFVI)
7. Terra (FFVI)
8. Terra (FFVI)
8. Terra (FFVI)