• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan ranks their favorite female characters from Final Fantasy

Juken

Is that really surprising? Many people who haven't enjoyed the generation of Lightning probably aren't invested enough in the series anymore to be voting in FF facebook polls. The people who enjoy Lightning are still around and vote her to the top.

Anyways for me it would be

Yuna > Garnet > Aerith > Celes > Tifa

And just from XIII would be

Fang > Serah > Vanille > evil airship woman with glasses (forget name) > lebreau > Alyssa > hope's mom > Lightning

I'm kind of a reverse Luukyk when it comes to Lightning...I really enjoyed XIII-2, but anytime Lightning or her voice made an appearance I turned into a real grump.

Box

I'm trying to remember. Does Final Fantasy just have terrible female characters or do they have terrible characters all around?

You know I haven't played every Final Fantasy game, but I don't remember being very impressed with the characters in any of the games.

I guess they're not terrible when you play the game, but looking back, they're just incredibly bland. Maybe it's the artistic designs that people like?

Help me out here. Why do people care about Final Fantasy characters?

Sad really. It pains me to say FF is a rotting corpse. That's putting it nicely.

Final Fantasy rides on the crest of the nostalgia wave. Past successes still actually manage to convince people who should know better to give a damn. Hence you have events like the upcoming Final Symphony (featuring music from VI, VII and X only) designed to provide fans with both a timely reminder that the series was once relevant and an escape to a reality where it still is.

Mainstream interest in the series is waning though and I don't think LR or the iOS cashgrabs they shit out will help that much.

I'm pretty astounded at all the love for Yuna in here.

She doesn't really have anything going for her beyond her role in the plot. If I was to try and use the Plinkett test, I wouldn't really come up with anything to describe her character than...uh...innocent, I guess?

I haven't played X-2, so if she becomes radically more interesting in that then I guess I can understand.

/shrug. I don't understand why y'all are still calling Lightning a clone of Cloud. She's really, really not. People get so hung up over random quotes from developers and keep reiterating them, years after they've ceased to be relevant. Nomura said he was directed to design her to be like a female Cloud, but personality wise they're totally different. It's like the HD towns thing: someone at SQEX once said it was hard or something, and years later people still won't let it go, despite the existence of HD towns in SQEX games.

I'm not basing this on Nomura's comments or anything, though. I'm calling her that just based on my own recollections. I haven't played FFVII since it was new, but here's my lasting impression: Cloud was a cold dude who said cryptic things leaving other characters to scratch their heads and say things like "what's his problem" or whatever. And he used to be a soldier but now he's rebelling against the authorities and omg he's such a hard ass and carries a huge sword. And we're introduced to him on a train where he literally does an acrobatic flip into our lives.

And there's a bunch of flashbacks into earlier in his life and despite me being told his character changed by the end of the game, I sure as hell don't remember it. I just remember him saying "let's mosey" toward the end, fighting Jenova and/or Sephiroth, and then the meteor killed everybody. Which I guess they later retconned.

Anyway. Lightning sure is a badass with a cool sword. And she's cold and says cryptic things. And used to be a soldier until she had enough and decided to rebel against everything with the help of a cool black dude. Why, I still remember when we were first introduced to her, doing all those cool flips on the train.

You know what the biggest difference between the two are? Way better graphics.

Eh, I don't mind Lightning for number one. From what I played of XIII, as a character, she was headstrong and didn't take crap. She's cool, but is in the worst games ever.

Esura

Banned
This, FF7 Cloud is not really like Lightning..., the modern interpretation of Cloud is like Lightning...

For 75% of FFVII, that Cloud was pretending to be Zack. Because of Denzel, his adopted son and him getting the Geostigma in AC he became more depressed and unsure of himself and it opened up old wounds he thought he originally dealt with before. Dissidia Cloud is pretty much the endgame Cloud from FFVII.

Most fapped to female Final Fantasy character:

Tifa

Her and Yuna take the top spots for me on that one.

shira

V1jLQ.gif

She stuffs her bra???
from: http://www.videogamegirlsdb.com/Girls/GameGirlsPreviewByBust.aspx?Size=Medium&SizeID=4

Name Aerith Gainsborough
Series
Final Fantasy
Birthday February 07
Age 22
Height 5' 4" (163 cm)
Weight ??? (???)
Measurements B34" W24" H33"
B86 W61 H84 cm
Breast Size Medium
Cup Size C
Bounciness Some
Nationality ???
Blood Type O
Personality ???
Occupation Flower Girl

Name Lightning
Series
Final Fantasy
Birthday ???
Age 21
Height 5' 7" (170 cm)
Weight ??? (???)
Measurements ???
???
Breast Size Medium
Cup Size B
Bounciness None
Nationality Cocoon
Blood Type ??
Personality ???
Occupation Guardian Corps

Persona86

Banned
Where's Paine/Lulu? :(

EDIT: Until now I actually thought Paine was Lulu after a makeover haha, WTF all this time I had no idea.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
You don't understand, a game selling 1.5 million copies or so is really, really good. Even if it is a mainline entry. It's getting a sequel for the love of Kefka!!

I'm sure Activision would be REAL Happy if their COD sales dipped down to a third.

The fact is that a hyped well known series is going to garner a real good amount of sales on a debut, especially since it is now on two consoles. A sequel making 1/3 is REALLY BAD. It shows a general down trend in interest. Even most Analysts wouldn't have thought that a sequel to a Final Fantasy game would make less than 2/3 of the main game. Hell people generally think it should sell more. Mass Effect 2 sold more copies in a week than Mass Effect 1 did in a month.

As a disclaimer, I tried to replay FFVII a couple of years ago and gave up after a few hours of having my eyes paper cut by its aging polygons.

I got about 18 hours in to FFXIII when it was new and kind of drifted off, but actually just started playing it again a couple of weeks ago, and I'm right about the same place I quit the first time. I'm digging it, though, I'll probably stick with it this time.

Verendus

Banned
I'm sure Activision would be REAL Happy if their COD sales dipped down to a third.

The fact is that a hyped well known series is going to garner a real good amount of sales on a debut, especially since it is now on two consoles. A sequel making 1/3 is REALLY BAD. It shows a general down trend in interest. Even most Analysts wouldn't have thought that a sequel to a Final Fantasy game would make less than 2/3 of the main game. Hell people generally think it should sell more. Mass Effect 2 sold more copies in a week than Mass Effect 1 did in a month.
I was being sarcastic. Of course the FFXIII series has done shite. Even FFX-2 sold about 3 times as much as FFXIII-2 and that attempted to be as unappealing to the West as humanly possible. My point was mocking those who think FFXIII getting sequels proves something. Because it doesn't really. The only reason why it's getting sequels is because it's the most cost effective way for SE to earn a little money. Lacklustre effort for lacklustre titles in order to take advantage of a dedicated fanbase (most of whom obviously didn't give a shit enough to return for XIII-2). They clearly wouldn't be able to create another big title from scratch. It took them, what, 2-3 years to understand what to do with FFXIII beyond the conceptual phase? They've been pathetic on consoles.

Esura

Banned
I already figured Lightning was gonna win. She is an awesome character after all. Find it weird that the crazy ass Celes got voted over Terra though.

Top Bottom